• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Hezbollah’s Exploding Electronics

WTF? Do you understand why the Nazis attacked Poland in 1939? Does you understanding of that illegal invasion mean that you excuse their actions?
WTF indeed. You may be inadvertently using the wrong word here.
Oxford Learner's Dictionaries said:
understandable adjective
/ˌʌndəˈstændəbl/
/ˌʌndərˈstændəbl/
Word Family
(of behaviour, feelings, reactions, etc.) seeming normal and reasonable in a particular situation
synonym natural
Their attitude is perfectly understandable.
It was an understandable mistake to make.
From here.
Harry Bosch has explained that you misunderstood them. This is the English language... and it is so fucked up, we give trophies to people for spelling correctly, so a misunderstanding is understandable (wait... what was that?!).

Not certain why you can't just accept that you misunderstood Harry Bosch, in part because English sucks at conveying any understanding, and move on.

For more on the English language and our futile war with context:

WTF? Do you understand why the Nazis attacked Poland in 1939? Does you understanding of that illegal invasion mean that you excuse their actions?
WTF indeed. You may be inadvertently using the wrong word here.
understandable adjective
/ˌʌndəˈstændəbl/
/ˌʌndərˈstændəbl/
Word Family
(of behaviour, feelings, reactions, etc.) seeming normal and reasonable in a particular situation
synonym natural
From here.
From your link, the 2nd definition
(of language, documents, etc.) easy to understand

This quarreling over whether Hamas' actions are "understandable" is so strange.

If you don't understand their actions, or at least think you understand them, then how can you have anything worthwhile to add to a discussion about it? The best you can do is shrug your shoulders and say "I don't get it".

Which is why Iran should have been handled much earlier, during the Obama administration at the latest.
Why is the Iran/Israel conflict any of our business? If Israel wants to take out the Iranian government, I say go for it. But to me, there are no goods guys anywhere in this situation.

BTW, if you think Israel needs help, you're welcome to gothere and fight for them.

Well, it a major war in the ME would greatly harm the world's economy.

I think that Dimon is a pompous ass. But he makes a good point here: all this war is not good for the world's economy. We don't need another war in the ME.
Oh, I actually agree with that. Which means the US staying out of it is a good idea.
An isolationist US would result in more war, not less.

The expectation that the US would 'stay out of it' was a major factor in Utin's invasion of Ukraine.
An isolationist US would result in much less wars, not more.

Harry Bosch has explained that you misunderstood them.
And I explained to him that I misunderstood him because he used the wrong word.
This is the English language... and it is so fucked up, we give trophies to people for spelling correctly, so a misunderstanding is understandable (wait... what was that?!).
Yay, you used it correctly! Maybe you should get a trophy.
Not certain why you can't just accept that you misunderstood Harry Bosch, in part because English sucks at conveying any understanding, and move on.
Oh, I do want to move on, but there are some (like the Hound) who I am sure will try to turn this into a 2 page side discussion.
I do not know what that video, albeit funny, had to do with equivocal meanings of English words. In any way, in the context in which Hieronymus used the word "understandable", it did not mean what he thought it meant.

Indeed. Notice the context: you would use this definition when talking about language somebody used, or language used in a document.
When talking about behavior or reaction of, say an Islamic terror organization, the 1st definition is the appropriate one.
synonym natural
The definitions give appropriate context in parentheses, for fuck's sake. It's not rocket surgery.

This quarreling over whether Hamas' actions are "understandable" is so strange.
It is strange that Jimmy and ld cannot comprehend that the word choice was wrong there. When talking about behavior, "understandable" means "seeming normal and reasonable in a particular situation".

But I think I have belabored that point enough. We can move on as far as I am concerned.

Indeed. Notice the context: you would use this definition when talking about language somebody used, or language used in a document.
When talking about behavior or reaction of, say an Islamic terror organization, the 1st definition is the appropriate one.
synonym natural
The definitions give appropriate context in parentheses, for fuck's sake. It's not rocket surgery.
Feel better?

Harry Bosch has explained that you misunderstood them.
And I explained to him that I misunderstood him because he used the wrong word.
He could have used different wording, but he didn't use the wrong word. His context was pretty clear if you read the post in whole instead of dissecting it.
I do not know what that video, albeit funny, had to do with equivocal meanings of English words. In any way, in the context in which Hieronymus used the word "understandable", it did not mean what he thought it meant.
Because you didn't read the words in my post. I'll all cap it this time. CONTEXT.

He could have used different wording, but he didn't use the wrong word. His context was pretty clear if you read the post in whole instead of dissecting it.
No, he did use a wrong word, hence my confusion over what he meant.
Because you didn't read the words in my post. I'll all cap it this time. CONTEXT.
Yes, the sketch provided intentionally ambiguous statements to throw off the contestants.
Not really the same as Harry's wrong word choice alas.

Because I'm a sad little gay boy with a crazy mommy, duh.
Off topic too, but I always run the danger of inadvertently misgendering you. The feminine handle, the avatar. I always have to consciously remind myself that you are a guy.
You want someone with daddy issues, hit up the lesbian breakfast bistro over by the Lowe's.
How are their benedicts?

Where did I say anything about appeasement?
So how would you handle the theocratic regime in Tehran?
No. Do you think the two situations are similar?
In both cases an ally of ours was attacked and is defending itself.
In both cases their enemies are arguing that their country has no legitimacy.
In both cases their enemies want to destroy their countries and take over the territory for themselves.
How are they not similar?
Or do you reserve such dismissive attitude toward Israel only?
Yes.
At least you are honest about your antisemitism.

Last edited:
I am very certain some people think it is all or nothing at this point and condone the crimes committed by Hamas.
There are a lot of them, especially (and ironically) on the far left.
But those people aren't a tool to be used as a broad brush in order to dehumanize an entire population of people.
I am not "dehumanizing an entire population of people".
Much like how Netanyahu's actions and his shouldn't be used to broad brush the opinions of all Israelis.
I do not agree with everything he says or does - for example I think a ground invasion into Lebanon would be a mistake - but demonization of Netanyahu has gone well overboard. He is trying to protect his people in a very challenging time facing a bloodthirsty enemy that wants to destroy his country.
And speaking of dehumanization, dehumanizing Israelis is strong on the far left.

I don't agree with full isolation. I just don't see any good guys in the Gaza/Hesbo/Israel situation.
There is no perfect good in the real world.
But Israel is many orders of magnitude more good than the evils of Hamas, Hezbollah, Houthis and the theocracy in power in Tehran.
There is no question that we should wholeheartedly support Israel. Not only because of Israel, but also because their enemies are the enemies of the western civilization in general.

I don't agree with full isolation. I just don't see any good guys in the Gaza/Hesbo/Israel situation.
There is no perfect good in the real world.
But Israel is many orders of magnitude more good than the evils of Hamas, Hezbollah, Houthis and the theocracy in power in Tehran.
There is no question that we should wholeheartedly support Israel. Not only because of Israel, but also because their enemies are the enemies of the western civilization in general.
How do you feel about the Kingdom of Jordan?

Don't have to have good guys. We need to try and stop the killing.
There may not be perfectly good guys but that does not mean the two sides are in any way equivalent.
One side (Israel) is defending itself against aggression from the other side (Hamas, Hezbos, Iran).
We need to stop the killing, I agree, but not at any price.
Any deal brokered would need to have the Palestinian interests at equal with the Israelis.
Hamas certainly should not be rewarded for starting this war.
But with Iran, they don't care about Palestinians. They want their big bad heel in Israel to be suffering. I think the only way to go about it is to sell a final peace plan, hard... something that is great for the Palestinians,
The problem is that the Palestinians want too much. Including so-called "right of return" which is a hard deal breaker for Israel, and for a very good reason. For a real peace to be possible, Palestinians need to give up some of their sacred cows.
something that would make the Iranian theocracy isolated (more so) globally in rejecting it.
Israel-haters will always look up to the Tehran theocracy. And allies like Russia do not care.
Of course, the other issue is that the hard liners that control more policy in Israel than the percentage of the vote they receive should allow, also don't care about the Palestinians and have their own agenda.
That's the nature of coalition governments.
Which leads to what makes this a difficult peace plan, current leadership on both sides do not want peace. The people are much more likely to want stability, but they aren't in charge.
The peace plan will be challenging, and will not be possible until Hamas is taken out in Gaza anyway and Hezbollah is substantially weakened.
A ceasefire with Hamas will only kick the can down the road. And how can you rebuild Gaza if another war is right around the corner. After all, Hamas has vowed to repeat 10/7 over and over again until Israel is defeated.

Back
Top Bottom