• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How should west respond to potential (likely) Russian invasion of Ukraine?

Look at what's happened on the ground--basically stationary followed by big leaps. Note that it's been Russia losing territory as time goes on.
OK, and Ukraine is loosing people. What do you think the end result will be?
And no, Russia does not lose territory. They leave it.
Yea, you guys have more people. But the difference here is that Ukraine has no choice. You are attacking their home. Killing their civilians. Stealing their stuff. Ukraine won't back down because they have no choice. Your side does have a choice.

Not going to happen. Crossing the river
Who said anything about crossing the river?

Yes, just like I predicted, Russia is grinding the "forever Russian" city of Kherson to dust with artillery just out of spite.
Nope. They are grinding supply lines.
I at least appreciate that you aren't repeating the official Russian line that "Russians want a peace deal with Ukraine." Everyone knows that this is a lie. Russians want war. And Ukraine is probably just the beginning. Russian leaders keep repeating the lie that they want peace in order to split the west.

Russians want war.
The truth is that Russians want war as much as Ukrainians want war. The difference is that the Ukrainian people have been forced into it, as you've said. The Russian people on the other hand have been lied into it, as barbos so wonderfully and capably demonstrates.

Last edited:
Russians want war.
The truth is that Russians want war as much as Ukrainians want war. The difference is that the Ukrainian people have been forced into it, as you've said. The Russian people on the other hand have been lied into it, as barbos so wonderfully and capably demonstrates.

I don't see Russians as just being lied into a war. To the Russian population in general, the 2014 and 2022 invasions were a fait accompli when they happened. There was no surge of popular demand to assimilate Ukraine, but those who had that goal in mind were the ones making the decisions at the highest level of the Russian government. The Duma just rubberstamps everything that Putin wants, and he very much wanted this war. Those who support him are free to dominate news outlets and social media platforms. Opposing voices were suppressed. There was no collective decision to go to war, but, once committed, the Russian population acts like that of any other nation. They tend to follow the leader, hoping that most of what they are being told is the truth, even if they know deep down that it isn't.

The Duma just rubberstamps everything that Putin wants, and he very much wanted this war. Those who support him are free to dominate news outlets and social media platforms. Opposing voices were suppressed. There was no collective decision to go to war, but, once committed, the Russian population acts like that of any other nation.
It acts like any other non-democratic nation that is also a police state where opposition is not tolerated and its citizens are imprisoned for public disagreement.

The Duma just rubberstamps everything that Putin wants, and he very much wanted this war. Those who support him are free to dominate news outlets and social media platforms. Opposing voices were suppressed. There was no collective decision to go to war, but, once committed, the Russian population acts like that of any other nation.
It acts like any other non-democratic nation that is also a police state where opposition is not tolerated and its citizens are imprisoned for public disagreement.

Not to be too contrary, but the US has been in plenty of wars, many of which were sold to the public on very questionable grounds. The two that come to mind most quickly were the Vietnam war and the second invasion of Iraq. In neither case were opposition voices suppressed, and the public tended to support them or go along with them. For me, the most vivid was Vietnam, which required me to choose between active opposition or acquiescence. I chose opposition, but the majority of Americans, even those who went off to war, felt that their country had good reason to go kill a lot of strangers and innocent bystanders. I recognize that Russians had even less choice than Americans in being dragged into this horrible war, but I don't see them as behaving much differently than Americans, who at least had the option of publicly opposing their wars. And almost half the country is still willing to vote people into office who are just as corrupt and depraved as Putin. We just have the good fortune to be born into a country where those idiot politicians who land in office find it difficult to seize absolute control of the government, but not for lack of trying.

We just have the good fortune to be born into a country where those idiots find it a little more difficult to seize absolute control of the government

FIFY. But still a very good post, and important to remember; we're not much different from Russians, as far as susceptibility to propaganda goes. We may in fact be MORE vulnerable, since we tend to innocently/lazily accept what we're told, having accustomed ourselves to the idea that we are functionally democratic and our elected officials serve us.

If there's one "good" thing about Trump, it's that he has made the fact that we can't take the intent of our elected ones for granted, as obvious as can possibly be. As he fades in the rear view mirror, hopefully even his sheeples will remember the lesson (since distrust of everyone other than himself has been his touchstone).

In neither case were opposition voices suppressed, and the public tended to support them or go along with them.
That's the key, isn't it, a gigantic key? Were we afraid that if we opposed the war, even called it a "war" we would be imprisoned? And remember that support for the war eventually caused us to withdraw, to lose. People are afraid to oppose Putin's war because they will be imprisoned by the state. Comparing this situation to Vietnam is laughable.

We just have the good fortune to be born into a country where those idiots find it a little more difficult to seize absolute control of the government

FIFY. But still a very good post, and important to remember; we're not much different from Russians, as far as susceptibility to propaganda goes. We may in fact be MORE vulnerable, since we tend to innocently/lazily accept what we're told, having accustomed ourselves to the idea that we are functionally democratic and our elected officials serve us.

If there's one "good" thing about Trump, it's that he has made the fact that we can't take the intent of our elected ones for granted, as obvious as can possibly be. As he fades in the rear view mirror, hopefully even his sheeples will remember the lesson (since distrust of everyone other than himself has been his touchstone).

In 1965, I visited the Soviet Union on an Ohio State University Russian language study tour. We were required to speak Russian all the time and had plenty of opportunity to mix with ordinary Russians, albeit mainly with young  Komsomol members in arranged meetings. They used the opportunity to argue and discuss politics. As a young American without any prior experience in arguing with young Russian Communists, I was expecting something very different from what I encountered. Far from listening to doctrinaire party-line slogans and anti-American rhetoric, I got to witness a spectrum of opinions that ranged from staunch defenses of Soviet history and behavior to outright criticism and openness to democratic ideals. They even argued vehemently amongst themselves over the future direction that the country should take. (This was at a time when Kosygin and Brezhnev had just taken over power from Khrushchev, and no one was really sure where the country was going.) Very little there was what any of us expected to encounter, although we had our fill of propaganda shoved down our throats. Things look a lot different when you are up close than far away. I came away with the impression that Russians were very much like Americans, and I am still of that opinion.

In neither case were opposition voices suppressed, and the public tended to support them or go along with them.
That's the key, isn't it, a gigantic key? Were we afraid that if we opposed the war, even called it a "war" we would be imprisoned? And remember that support for the war eventually caused us to withdraw, to lose. People are afraid to oppose Putin's war because they will be imprisoned by the state. Comparing this situation to Vietnam is laughable.

No, it was not support for the war (or lack thereof) that caused us to withdraw. It was the Vietnamese themselves who forced that on us. We never had the full support of the country in our effort to prop up the last remnant of the French Indochina empire in southeast Asia. Most Vietnamese did not want foreigners deciding who would run their country, and the ARVN (Army of the Republic of Vietnam) was notoriously undependable. (Near the end, one of their own fighter pilots even strafed the presidential compound.) Opposition to the war went on for years in the US, but the country was every bit as much divided as it is today. There was no way we were ever going to win the war, but it could have gone on as long as the Afghan war, if we had had more support from ordinary Vietnamese. We didn't even have the Internet to help us make a mess.

I dunno about that. Those of us who were young and foolish enough to make loud noise about our opposition were liable to suffer government-sponsored consequences. Though rarely as severe and not so rigidly prescribed, they were very real. I witnessed more than enough bloodshed, and got teargassed myself at one demonstration in Berkeley. And we have not seen the ultimate outcome in Russia. They may well be forced to eventually do the same thing that the US did in Vietnam and that both Russia and the US did in Afghanistan.

I came away with the impression that Russians were very much like Americans, and I am still of that opinion.
And I have reiterated that point tirelessly, that the difference is not between Russian and American people.

Elixir said:
Those of us who were young and foolish enough to make loud noise about our opposition were liable to suffer government-sponsored consequences. Though rarely as severe and not so rigidly prescribed

You got that right.

Look at what's happened on the ground--basically stationary followed by big leaps. Note that it's been Russia losing territory as time goes on.
:LD:

That's how Pootin spins it, doesn't make it so. Russian troops are leaving positions that would get them cut off and annihilated if they stayed.

Canada has just sent 1 million sets of military cold weather gear to Ukraine. Meanwhile, Russian conscripts are getting nothing. Winter will be hard on all. But a disaster for Russian. Poor SOBs.

Canada has just sent 1 million sets of military cold weather gear to Ukraine. Meanwhile, Russian conscripts are getting nothing. Winter will be hard on all. But a disaster for Russian. Poor SOBs.
Seems like Russia is setting itself up for the reverse of the victories that it won against Napoleon and Hitler.

Russia’s ongoing military defeats in Ukraine and the social burden of mobilization are rapidly cooling the public’s support for the war. Meduza has gained access to the results of an opinion poll commissioned by the Kremlin “for internal use only.” According to the study conducted by the Federal Protective Service (FSO), 55 percent of Russians favor peace talks with Ukraine, while only a quarter of the respondents still support continuing the war.

Similar shift that was observed in the Levada polls earlier. One needs to consider though that "peace talks" could mean also that Russians think they can just freeze the front and keep everything they've annexed, which is far from what Ukraine would accept at this time. But anyway it's still a positive development.

Waiting for Russian people to wake up and start complaining more loudly will take years though. In the meantime, Ukraine needs more weapons, training, and better tactics. Russia isn't going to get any weaker in time.

There're other ways to stay warm when you're cold and lonely and life seems so precious in the moment. My understanding is in the Russian armed forces, you ask the guy next to you if he likes Cher.

There're other ways to stay warm when you're cold and lonely and life seems so precious in the moment. My understanding is in the Russian armed forces, you ask the guy next to you if he likes Cher.
EDIT: On second thought, maybe NSFW so better hide it. Russian soldiers caught keeping each other warm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom