• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How should west respond to potential (likely) Russian invasion of Ukraine?

Let's not forget that Putin's recognition of his Donetsk and Luhansk proxies is not recognized as legitimate by the rest of the world. Under international law, those areas are still Ukrainian territory. I understand that Russia played this same game in Abkhazia and South Ossetia before--recognizing the separatists as legitimate governments and then moving in "peacekeepers". But Abkhazia and South Ossetia are still considered Georgian territory by the vast majority of governments in the world, and Donetsk and Luhansk are still Ukrainian territory.

As usual, barbos is completely wrong about the reality of what is going on in Ukraine. Russia always had troops in the rebel areas of Luhansk and Donetsk. The rebel insurrectionists would have been eliminated long ago by government forces without Russian weapons and troops. However, Putin's government never acknowledged the existence of those troops, because they would be technically in Ukraine. Now that he has declared the rebel groups as legitimate governments, Putin is sending in additional troops as so-called "peacekeepers". That is actually an invasion of Ukraine under international law and norms. Moreover, Putin is claiming that the government-held areas in those regions are part of the "legitimate" state that it has appointed itself to defend. Hence, the pretext for attacking Ukrainian troops across the ceasefire line (such as it is), is already in place.

This is indeed the anniversary of the ouster of Putin-lackey Viktor Yanukovych--February 22. That is why this is all happening so quickly now. Putin is making a statement about the Maidan Revolution, which he saw as a clear rejection of his autocratic rule over their region.

Actually Russian troops have been in those areas since 2014. (see also what Copernicus wrote above)

breakaway1.jpg

The stories are that two territories claimed independence, including independence of area they did not control, (see image above: rebel and Russian controlled areas are the darker yellow areas).

Now if Russia is claiming all of both territories they will be aggressive in taking area not held by Russians and their clients in Ukraine. To take both territories completely they will advance way out of compliance in Ukraine way beyond the agreed to lines of cease fire. Russia will have broken any agreement they had had with the US and NATO.

Expect strong sanctions and a lot of collateral pain to economies in the form of inflation in the west. Even thought Russia only has 2% of US imports it will hurt even here especially in the area of oil even if we can expand oil exports to take up any hold backs Russia may impose on Europe.

If we fail to act aggressively we will look weak and NATO will be exposed as a sham. Its like I've been saying all along our (and their) military might is what forms the guarantee of our economic system, it's not the strength of our economy versus the amount of debt we have.

Last edited:
Ukraine belonged to Russia from the start?

Yeah, sure.

26e84d944759b10087a050e42057c94b.jpg

Yeah, sure.

You are trying to create an impression that these buildings are 1000 years old.
And no, there were no Ukraine back then. There were no Russia either. There was Rus. So congratulations, you have proven that Ukraine and Russia are the same thing.

Word "Ukraine" means "borderland/outskirts" So You see, Ukraine is outskirts of ..... Russia :)
It's a touchy subject in Ukraine, a lot of butt-hurt about the fact that Russia got the name from Rus, and Ukraine, well, from outskirts of ..... Russia.

Last edited:
China is going to eat you alive, Barbos.
This.^^ Yes, China and Russia are currently supporting each other. They have a lot in common. Both are imperialist powers that seek to conquer their neighbors and expand. However, Putin is incredible naive to depend upon China so much. Russia has essentially the economy of Greece. Yes, it will be a valuable gas station for China. But China will extract its from Russia! China knows that ties with the west are far far more valuable than what it gets from Russia.

Russia has essentially the economy of Greece
Where do you get this?
Russian economy is more than 10x of a Greece.
Even Ukraine's economy is larger than Greece's
My fault. I meant that Russia has the economy roughly the size of Italy. However, Russia has three times their population. Italy has 3 times the GDP per person.

Guess what will happen after alternative energy sources come on line in Europe?

It's so weird to hear now that US and their Kiev puppets suddenly care about Minsk Accords. Give me a break.

The whole thing looks like stage performance. Kiev and US decided to get rid of that land they can't really control. In exchange they can consolidate what they can control and cry wolf and sanction Russia.
My goodness. And you are accusing me of conspiracy thinking?

Yeah, sure.

You are trying to create an impression that these buildings are 1000 years old.
And no, there were no Ukraine back then. There were no Russia either. There was Rus. So congratulations, you have proven that Ukraine and Russia are the same thing.

Word "Ukraine" means "borderland/outskirts" So You see, Ukraine is outskirts of ..... Russia :)
It's a touchy subject in Ukraine, a lot of butt-hurt about the fact that Russia got the name from Rus, and Ukraine, well, from outskirts of ..... Russia.
To add--Rus was the name that Vikings gave to the region and there were different groups in the region and those groups diverged more over time. The Vikings also called Native Americans skraeling, but it wouldn't mean that all Native Americans would eventually be the same country and speak the same language.

It's so weird to hear now that US and their Kiev puppets suddenly care about Minsk Accords. Give me a break.

The whole thing looks like stage performance. Kiev and US decided to get rid of that land they can't really control. In exchange they can consolidate what they can control and cry wolf and sanction Russia.
It's not a conspiracy thinking. It's most rational explanation of events.
And I predicted it happening.
To add--Rus was the name that Vikings gave to the region and there were different groups in the region and those groups diverged more over time. The Vikings also called Native Americans skraeling, but it wouldn't mean that all Native Americans would eventually be the same country and speak the same language.
They did not give anything. They took the name of one of the tribes.

Both Russia and Ukraine are descendants of Kievan Rus.
Anyway, as I said, the name "Ukraine" itself suggests that they are part of Russia.
Think about that.

We have a Russian apologist?

Putin is using misdirection. He has problems at home.

If there is any truth to some of the reporting from Russia many Russians just don't want to think about it. There is no opposition press in Russia to give them a voice.

We have a Russian apologist?

May be hard to recognize, he's not using his usual tactics.
I'd have expected him to say that this is exactly how the US got California from Mexico, and we're happy with that, therefore we can't bitch about what Russia's doing. That's more his style, anyway.

They did not give anything. They took the name of one of the tribes.
Rus comes from Old Norse.

Both Russia and Ukraine are descendants of Kievan Rus.
Anyway, as I said, the name "Ukraine" itself suggests that they are part of Russia.
Think about that.
The name Ukraine and a separate govt suggest it is not part of Russia. If Ukraine was called Russia and did not have a separate govt, then that would suggest it was part of Russia.

If Ukraine was called Russia and did not have a separate govt, then that would suggest it was part of Russia.

If Russia’s Capitol wasn’t a thousand years younger than Ukraine’s, that might lend some weight to Putin’s ridiculous assertions too.

You and about eight billion other people. Congratulations on such an astute insight.

I'm curious the Putinator's next move on Ukraine because he's getting old and dangerous and wants to set the record for all time. If he goes for the salami strategy he's gonna get into a hot war which he doesn't want. Ukraine won't back off an inch so it will be interesting to say the least. The sooner Ukraine gets into NATO the better. Zelensky would do it tomorrow if he could.

Back
Top Bottom