• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

How should west respond to potential (likely) Russian invasion of Ukraine?

Some of us had family members living in Poland when Russia invaded.
Russia did not invade Poland, Russia took back its own land they lost in WW1.
Utter gaslighting bullshit. See  Polish-Soviet War. Trotsky led the Red Army in the invasion, and he was trounced by General Pilsudski at the  Battle of Warsaw (1920).

The history of Poland is sad. Google the partition of Poland. Poland was torn apart by Prussia, Russia and Austria. Poland ever since has been fighting to regain her lands from her oppressors. Including the damned Russians. Russia seems to think any land they can steal is theirs forever and nobody has a right to every lift a hand to the Russian to regain their freedoms.

The invasion has begun. Putin has demanded military forces of Ukraine at Kyiv surrender. Kyiv is some 300 miles from the Dombass breakaway republic. This is an act of war on an independent nation that in no way can threaten Russia in any major way. Putin is now a war criminal. It is obvious Pootie saw his chance to make a land grab slipping through his fingers and decided to act and to hell with the consequences. February 23, 2022. A day of infamy.
The real war criminals are the US media.

Utter gaslighting bullshit. See  Polish-Soviet War. Trotsky led the Red Army in the invasion, and he was trounced by General Pilsudski at the  Battle of Warsaw (1920).

The history of Poland is sad. Google the partition of Poland. Poland was torn apart by Prussia, Russia and Austria. Poland ever since has been fighting to regain her lands from her oppressors. Including the damned Russians. Russia seems to think any land they can steal is theirs forever and nobody has a right to every lift a hand to the Russian to regain their freedoms.
Do you even realize how ironic this is? Poland was Soviet Union of the middle ages constantly trying to expand and subjugate everyone including smaller Russia.
In the end remaining monarchies decided that Poland is too big for their own good.
Reminds you of anything? Well except that Russia is not trying to expand. It's actually NATO/EU who is trying to expand and do so at the expense and against Russia.

The invasion has begun. Putin has demanded military forces of Ukraine at Kyiv surrender. Kyiv is some 300 miles from the Dombass breakaway republic. This is an act of war on an independent nation that in no way can threaten Russia in any major way. Putin is now a war criminal. It is obvious Pootie saw his chance to make a land grab slipping through his fingers and decided to act and to hell with the consequences. February 23, 2022. A day of infamy.
You posted that video before without any explanation, but this caption you have given it is crazy. You see, telling one side of the story isn't a war crime. It isn't any kind of crime. It's actually a sensible thing to do when the other side of the story is amounts to paranoid ramblings and warmongering saber rattling.

If Russia had a good reason to be afraid of Ukraine or NATO, that would be brought up in Western media all the time. But there is no good reason for Russia to be so paranoid. So why would anyone waste time bringing it up?

Saakashvili, a master of political intrigue, very quickly seized the initiative, after which hysterically anti-Russian slogans began to appear. Their success is explained, among other things, by the fact that in recent years the anti-Russian trend in Georgia has been in vogue. Saakashvili was able to achieve this, including with the support of the United States, which directly finances such activities, including through numerous non-governmental organizations operating in Georgia, through very serious TV channels, through two factions in parliament. All these forces in recent years have built a situation when it became fashionable to be anti-Russian and pro-Western. And talking about rapprochement with Russia in the understanding of these people is a regression, only those who want almost the restoration of the USSR are in favor of this.
That's not me talking. That's Saakashvili right hand talking.
I see Jayjay "liked" it but did not comment, why not?
I can only speculate that was new to you. So my question to you how come it is news to you?
You have free and simply the best unbiased press, don't you?
Come on, Finland is not a totalitarian state with state propaganda news like this thing called Russia. So, what's the deal?

I recall that back when Putin took Crimea I insisted that we need to launch a counter attack and retake it. If we don't he'll just keep going. I think I was proven right.

Same deal now. We need to attack the fucker

KM0o2rb.jpeg
"Your yard is like... basically the same as our yard, so we feel like they should only be one yard. But like... also... your yard is so foreign and such a threat that we had invade. But like... also... everyone else in the neighborhood hates us for taking our neighbor's yards, so we had to take this yard too."

"China has refused to condemn Russia's attack on Ukraine Thursday, instead repeating calls for parties to "exercise restraint" and accusing the United States of "fueling fire" in the tensions."

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-24-22-intl/index.html

Of course they won't criticize it. I'm sure they are watching very closely to see how this plays out. It will be very informative for their Taiwan takeover plans.

"China has refused to condemn Russia's attack on Ukraine Thursday, instead repeating calls for parties to "exercise restraint" and accusing the United States of "fueling fire" in the tensions."

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/europe/live-news/ukraine-russia-news-02-24-22-intl/index.html

Of course they won't criticize it. I'm sure they are watching very closely to see how this plays out. It will be very informative for their Taiwan takeover plans.
Exactly. Taiwan is next.

NATA is a defence organisation. Against Russian aggression. Apparently, Ukraine should have joined NATA earlier. Every country in Europe that is not NATO should join immediately. No country is safe with Russians around

Do you even realize how ironic this is? Poland was Soviet Union of the middle ages constantly trying to expand and subjugate everyone including smaller Russia.
In the end remaining monarchies decided that Poland is too big for their own good.
Reminds you of anything? Well except that Russia is not trying to expand. It's actually NATO/EU who is trying to expand and do so at the expense and against Russia.
Jesus Christ, you are the most in denial person that I have ever spoken to on this forum! Russia is invading Ukraine right now. Civilians are dying. If the world dosn't stand up to Russia, there will be death camps soon there.

Give ‘em hell, Ukraine.
What would be the point?
Because it’s their fucking country, not Russia’s. Fuck Russia and Putin. Someone needs to put a cap in his ass.

And I hope that we freeze every account of every Russian national throughout the US and cease all trade with Russia, including food shipments. The entire Russian and Belarusian economies should be cut off entirely from the west. And I hope citizens throughout the world will start cyber attacks on Russia.

Bad things will happen. You could have had a peaceful and prosperous world, but Putin has really fucked this up.

Give ‘em hell, Ukraine.
What would be the point?
Because it’s their fucking country, not Russia’s. Fuck Russia and Putin. Someone needs to put a cap in his ass.

And I hope that we freeze every account of every Russian national throughout the US and cease all trade with Russia, including food shipments. The entire Russian and Belarusian economies should be cut off entirely from the west. And I hope citizens throughout the world will start cyber attacks on Russia.

Bad things will happen. You could have had a peaceful and prosperous world, but Putin has really fucked this up.
Agreed. We need to dramatically increase the sanctions. Take Russia off Swift. No more exporting chips and anything technical to Russia. This will hurt the world economy. But the free world must stand up for the right of people to self-govern themselves. Nato and Free Eastern Europe: time to arm up, unite, and prepare for further Russian imperialism.

*wing-shrugs* I kind of knew this was coming even before Crimea. The poisoning of Victor Yuschenko was my first indicator, and that was back in the 2000's. I was not certain, at the time, that it would come to the Russian military actually sending troops into Ukraine, and at the time. At the time, it looked like their style ran more along the lines of destabilizing their neighbors and putting their thumb on the scale in favor of anyone that is willing to act as their boot-licking patsy.

Ukraine's "Orange Revolution," which was a story that I followed with a degree of interest at the time, was a bold move, and this war is going to be a test of whether the Ukrainian people are willing to shed blood for the independence that they originally sought in that "bloodless revolution." It would do my heart good to discover if they could partly hold off a military invasion.

I think it is nevertheless unavoidable that the rest of Europe is going to have to intervene if they are going to deter Putin from marching on Lithuania. He is basically holding the world at gunpoint with threats of nuclear escalation, and his attitude is one of a man that is determined to imperialistically goose-step to his own doom.

Yes, I do speak of his doom as something that is inevitable. He has gone down a dangerous narcissistic rabbithole, along with the lunatic that surround him. If Ukraine rolls over without very much of a fight and if the other western governments remain reticent to retaliate, then it is only going to fuel both his overconfidence and his sense of self-justification. Military conquest, for national leaders, is a lot like crack cocaine. They find it easy to knock down peacetime governments, especially ones in countries that host a large number of likely defectors and whose national leadership really has only a weak commitment to independence. Before those first successful conquests, they might still be dimly aware that the world in general is not just one large Munich, but just like a cocaine-addict's obsession with revisiting that first great high, they only become more bold in their risk-taking.

For example, it is logistically feasible for Putin to march into Lithuania and Latvia, and because of the fact that these countries were once a part of the USSR, it would fit in with his fantasy that he is going to revisit the full glory of the Soviet era. Even as he marches on Ukraine, he might deny even to himself and even to his closest advisors that he would ever want to invade Lithuania or Latvia, he would not be taking into account the political circumstances that a Russian presence in Ukraine would create. He is no Kasparov, and he thinks only three moves ahead, forgetting about the fourth move where greed springs its deadly trap.

If Europe and the United States were having the natural response of feeling hostile toward Russia following such a conquest, then that hostility would offer him a pretext for entering Lithuania and possibly Latvia. Given his strong alliance with Belarus, it would serve his strategic interests to handicap western Europe's ability to position troops in a location where they could easily march into Ukraine to assist anybody left there that is still willing to risk their necks defending Ukraine's independence. In his head, it would NOT be out of a desire to have Lithuania, but it would be out of a desire to stop Lithuania from being used to deprive him of the sought-after prize of a fully Russified Ukraine, but once he had set his sights on a second prize, it would become an obsession.

Putin's only real hope of stopping this process would be to let go of any Ukrainian territories that actively resisted being dragged into the Russian Federation. This would serve his interests in very important respects. It would show the world that he is not going to subject an unwilling province to becoming a part of Russian territory, for one thing. Furthermore, he would thereby avoid the scenario where sustained and bloody resistance against him, in Ukraine, could put him at serious risk of provoking the sympathy of western Europe. He would have time to consolidate valuable territory that is host to people that had strong sympathy toward his government. This would give him a large degree of control over the northern Black Sea region.

I suspect that Putin just might fall into the former trap, though. The reason why I think so is that he has already denied the legitimacy of Ukrainian independence from Russia. He has made up his mind to treat the independent government of Ukraine as an insurgency. He has thereby put himself into a position where he almost has no choice except to pursue the total annexation of Ukraine into Russia. If he were to stop short of such annexation, then this would erode the illusion he has created, among his followers, that he is incapable of being wrong and incapable of being beaten. His style of leadership is not amenable to such phrasing as, "I realize that I said that Ukraine is not a real country, but the situation is not really what I represented it as. We might have to make compromises."

In other words, the trap of territorial greed is already starting to close around his ankle. It was far too easy for him to take Crimea, and it was far too easy for him to take control of substantial territory in eastern Ukraine. His closest followers are not going to be at peace with him giving up on what looks like an easy victory over the rest of Ukraine, at least not after he had already publicly denied the political validity of Ukraine.

While there might be plenty of spots of sustained resistance in Ukraine, the fact of the matter is that Ukraine was never really militarily ready to put up much of a fight, so rolling Russian tanks all the way across the country should be childishly easy. Such a rapid expansion of Russia's territorial borders will ultimately seal his fate. The escalation of tensions between Russia and the rest of Europe will make it hard for him to justify leaving Lithuania or any other surrounding territory as a vector of attack.

In other words, he's a dead man walking.

And I hope that we freeze every account of every Russian national throughout the US and cease all trade with Russia, including food shipments
Russia don't import food from US or EU for that matter.
In fact it is banned in response to your sanctions.
You really need to study subject more before making look yourself like a fool.

Back
Top Bottom