• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

how to leave the US

Easy to say in Amsterdam...not so easy in Riyadh or Fallujah or anywhere in Mississippi.

Obviously these stages apply to someone who moves somewhere they anticipate to be awesome.
Anticipation that it would be awesome or terrible is bound to happen if the future ex pat has not previously spent any extended time in that foreign nation. For example if I were to state that I would not mind being an ex pat in Italy, it would be based on a realistically grounded and informed opinion, having resided 8 years in Italy.

One would hope that a future ex pat would have the necessary financial resources to first and foremost visit his/her selected nation (s) rather than a drastic move which would include anticipation.

Obviously these stages apply to someone who moves somewhere they anticipate to be awesome.
Anticipation that it would be awesome or terrible is bound to happen if the future ex pat has not previously spent any extended time in that foreign nation. For example if I were to state that I would not mind being an ex pat in Italy, it would be based on a realistically grounded and informed opinion, having resided 8 years in Italy.

One would hope that a future ex pat would have the necessary financial resources to first and foremost visit his/her selected nation (s) rather than a drastic move which would include anticipation.

Exactly. I spent an extensive amount of time in the country I live in before I decided to pack my bags and move there for good. I had already even made many friends there before relocating.

Exactly. I spent an extensive amount of time in the country I live in before I decided to pack my bags and move there for good. I had already even made many friends there before relocating.

Not to argue that that isn't true in your specific case, but it's not exactly rare for people to think that going on vacation a lot in a country means they have enough of a grasp on what it'd be like to live there. I've certainly read such accounts from expats, who thought they knew what they were getting into because they'd spend 'so much time' here; only to be wrong. It really depends on what one defines as a 'long time', and how you spend that time. Of course, I may just be conflating expatriation with someone deciding to live in a country while still keeping their nationality.

I certainly found living and working in Singapore to be much more of a culture shock than I expected. I was considered, politely and never to my face, to be a vast musclebound juggernaut. Nice, smart, but not to be trusted with anything delicate or breakable.

I remember the first day of corporate training, when they took us out in a boat to the straits, and then ordered everyone to jump out of the boat. They suggested that, since several of us couldn't swim, that we take turns making sure no one drowned.

As the token white guy, I was expected to be wild, impulsive and ultimately unreasonable, just as the Indonesians were expected to be violent and used to gunfire, the Malay were supposed to be mystical and bit lazy, the Indians were supposed to see in the dark, be obsessive compulsives, and pride themselves in fixing their own electronics, and the Chinese were supposed to be arrogant, clannish and superstitious. None of these attitudes were regarded as racism, which was taken quite seriously, but rather as banter.

Germany was also weird. I remember moving into my flat, and having the neighbours turn up with grim little smiles and a snow-sweeping schedule. Since I wasn't a tourist any more, they wanted to know which days I would be clearing the sidewalk outside our building. I choose a little cluster of days in early January, and then they closed my curtains, warned me to never again leave them open if I was leaving before sunrise, or wasn't going to return home before nightfall, and left. Not what I was expecting on my first day, in June.

I've given thought about trying to move to another country. For those who have done it, can you give me any advice? I'm figuring you have to get a work visa first, then perhaps a residence license, and then perhaps if it works out you can apply for citizenship.

I think the country is going to pot and it ain't going to get better.

Maybe you're not clear on the whole democracy thing. If things aren't going well, you have the power to fix it. Running away won't fix anything.

and then they closed my curtains, warned me to never again leave them open if I was leaving before sunrise, or wasn't going to return home before nightfall,
Interesting. What was that for?
It's not always the big things, it's often the little unsaid cultural things like that that throw you for a loop.
I was lucky that in Korea, my western appearance excused a lot of mishaps. I was supposed to be the clueless foreigner, it was expected from me. (also, just knowing some basic salutations in Korean and being willing to haggle on the market already impressed those who were used to the average US military)
My wife, being Asian, was cut much less slack, and had to take the habit of announcing loudly she was a foreigner as soon as she met someone.

I choose a little cluster of days in early January, and then they closed my curtains, warned me to never again leave them open if I was leaving before sunrise, or wasn't going to return home before nightfall, and left. Not what I was expecting on my first day, in June.

This sounds like they were threatening you, but they were probably telling you to either close them so robbers won't be able to tell nobody's home or because Germans are ridiculously private about such things and expect everyone else to be as well? (the Dutch custom of leaving our living room curtains wide open so everyone can admire our crap confuses them whenever they cross the border.)

I choose a little cluster of days in early January, and then they closed my curtains, warned me to never again leave them open if I was leaving before sunrise, or wasn't going to return home before nightfall, and left. Not what I was expecting on my first day, in June.

This sounds like they were threatening you, but they were probably telling you to either close them so robbers won't be able to tell nobody's home or because Germans are ridiculously private about such things and expect everyone else to be as well? (the Dutch custom of leaving our living room curtains wide open so everyone can admire our crap confuses them whenever they cross the border.)

No it was because leaving your curtains open at night is associated with prostitution (rules against streetwalking don't stop people 'window shopping', so some prostitutes work by simply sitting under a red light in their own front room and wait for those interested to ring the doorbell). So me leaving my curtains open lowers the tone of the neighbourhood. Never mind that I was on the third floor, and any disapproving persons would need to be equipped with a ladder to see in, it's just not something that nice people do.

No it was because leaving your curtains open at night is associated with prostitution (rules against streetwalking don't stop people 'window shopping', so some prostitutes work by simply sitting under a red light in their own front room and wait for those interested to ring the doorbell). So me leaving my curtains open lowers the tone of the neighbourhood. Never mind that I was on the third floor, and any disapproving persons would need to be equipped with a ladder to see in, it's just not something that nice people do.

Huh. Well, either way, Germans are weird (note: every culture is weird). Over here, it is the exact opposite; whole chapters (and plenty of websites, just google 'Dutch no curtains') have been written about the 'obsessive' Dutch need to have wide open curtains so people can look at our living rooms.

Every culture has those weird little things that make absolutely no sense to an outsider unless explained; and even then they rarely make sense.

Back
Top Bottom