• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

I feel guilty for having satisfaction from this story

If this guy deserves empathy then what about career janitors? How do that make them feel?
It's not like got cancer or broke his leg. He has been sucking blood from better people than he is most of his career
How was that fair?

Why do you feel "guilty" for having satisfaction then? The use of those words implies that you feel bad for feeling satisfied that someone else lost their livelihood. You then justify feeling satisfied by saying that he was part of a system, the members of which you consider deserving of such a fate. If that's true, why do you feel guilty? I then assumed it must be that intellectually you understand that feeling satisfied isn't the right thing to feel, even though you feel it. If not empathy, then what emotion is it that you think one should have for this man that you don't have?

Is it wrong to feel satisfaction from this story?
http://nypost.com/2014/06/03/man-falsely-arrested-for-child-prostitution-suing-feds-for-2-75m/
A Long Island man says he went from being a Merrill Lynch manager to a shattered school janitor after the feds — in a terrible case of mistaken identity — arrested him at work and threatened to ship him off to Mexico to face charges that he had sex with minors.

And no offense to janitors, but going from bankster to a janitor tells you something about how much these people are actually worth in real world.

I bet Elizabeth Warren feels satisfaction too.

How does this say anything about what he's really worth in the world? He's got a skill for which there isn't enough demand at present. Realistically he has no chance at lesser positions because he's overqualified and thus they know he'll jump ship at the first opportunity. Thus he's left with unskilled work where there's so little investment they don't care if he jumps ship.
He should start his own business then, he is supposed to be smart, right?
And what investment does hiring a banker/accountant involve?
He is not an engineer which require half a year just to evaluate what he can actually do, he is freaking banker, he wears a suit and screws people.

barbos,

I think you're letting your political outrage, liberal ideology and yearning for justice quite possibly get in the way of your judgement and are making unwarranted assumptions. The Post story is one about a case of mistaken identity, not financial fraud. Despite your claims and unfounded assumptions that
I am sure he took part in that corrupted system.
I see no indication of such. He was a branch manager at a Lynch firm that staffed financial advisers. There's no indication that I've seen that he was an exchange broker or "bankster".

I can at least understand some schadenfreude if we knew this guy was a banker and if we somehow knew he was directly responsible for some of the shenanigans that took place during that time period. From what I can see, your rhetorical guilt is misguided. Also, honestly, you're behavior reminds me of fresh spring rain. Offhandedly, I once smelled a douche with that scent.

What are your criteria for "wrong"?

I'd say that in this instance, your rationalizations for your satisfaction reflect irrational thinking patterns, but that doesn't necessarily make the feeling itself wrong. I suspect that you're factually wrong about the skills/personal character of bank managers, the existence of karma, and the mechanisms of the job market.

Anyone find it interesting that a guy arrested for pedophilia found it hard to get a job anywhere but in a school hanging around in bathrooms with kids?

If his pedophilia arrest was the factor in his employment problems, one might think that would be one of the harder jobs to get. This combined with the fact that he spent all of 4 hours in custody and the charges were dropped in a couple days when the real suspect was identified makes me skeptical that his employment or depression issues are due to the incident.

As for your "satisfaction" barbos, I have no guilt admitting that I get satisfaction when bad things happen to bad people. In fact, I think that is the mark of a good person who feels that way, and of an honest person who admits it. However, the mere fact that this guy is a banker is far from reliable evidence that he is a bad person deserving of such a punishment (assuming his troubles are at all related to the incident), even if many bankers would be so deserving.

barbos,

I think you're letting your political outrage, liberal ideology and yearning for justice quite possibly get in the way of your judgement and are making unwarranted assumptions. The Post story is one about a case of mistaken identity, not financial fraud. Despite your claims and unfounded assumptions that
I am sure he took part in that corrupted system.
I see no indication of such. He was a branch manager at a Lynch firm that staffed financial advisers. There's no indication that I've seen that he was an exchange broker or "bankster".

I can at least understand some schadenfreude if we knew this guy was a banker and if we somehow knew he was directly responsible for some of the shenanigans that took place during that time period. From what I can see, your rhetorical guilt is misguided. Also, honestly, you're behavior reminds me of fresh spring rain. Offhandedly, I once smelled a douche with that scent.
Not a branch manager.
Simone — who worked in the settlement division at Merrill Lynch’s Garden City office for 28 years
I guess he knows what he is doing - sue and then settle :)

If this guy deserves empathy then what about career janitors? How do that make them feel?
Um... Maybe a reason to empathize with him would involve, not the fact that he has a job, but the whole 'innocent until proven guilty' concept? One you're skipping blithely over?
Not just if his arrest has had an impact on his hirability, but on your condemnation of his financial loss and career loss...
It's not like got cancer or broke his leg. He has been sucking blood from better people than he is most of his career
How come you're sure of that?
Is there another news article about an SEC investigation? Warrants being issued? Blood on his hands, money in his accounts?
You'd think a bloodsucker would be better prepared to weather a change in his job status.
How was that fair?
You're not really in a position to question fairness, not if you cannot support your claims of his basic depravity.

Despite what he claims I don't believe he was fired because of that false accusation.
He was let go a year later along with a large group of other unlucky employees.
I doubt they were all pedophiles.

Although the article implies it, it does not quote Simone himself blaming the firing on the false arrest, only 'Simone said he suffers everything from depression to lessened sex drive because of the incident.'

From the article:
A Long Island man says he went from being a Merrill Lynch manager...

Simone — who worked in the settlement division at Merrill Lynch’s Garden City office

If you Google the Garden City Office, you can get the names of everyone that works there and their positions. It seems pretty obvious it's a financial adviser office.

Um...if there's less demand for his speciality than there was before, how will starting his own business help? It won't create more demand...
he is freaking banker, he wears a suit and screws people.
Who hurt you, Barbos?

You've got to look out for corrupt emotion bankers that willfully (or unknowingly) use the ignorance of the general public to influence events.

Emotion bankers try to influence events by using built up public resentment and/or good will to achieve certain ends.

Reactions: WAB
He is not an engineer which require half a year just to evaluate what he can actually do, he is freaking banker, he wears a suit and screws people.

Starting his own business isn't a realistic option--here's no way he has the money to do it.

You're just letting your hatred of bankers color your vision here.

Anyone find it interesting that a guy arrested for pedophilia found it hard to get a job anywhere but in a school hanging around in bathrooms with kids?

If his pedophilia arrest was the factor in his employment problems, one might think that would be one of the harder jobs to get. This combined with the fact that he spent all of 4 hours in custody and the charges were dropped in a couple days when the real suspect was identified makes me skeptical that his employment or depression issues are due to the incident.

It could be a factor but this actually makes sense--private: get rid of a hint of scandal. Public: Pay attention to the reality that it was a case of mistaken identity, there's no chance he's guilty.

Starting his own business isn't a realistic option--here's no way he has the money to do it.
Duh! He can take a loan in a bank!
You're just letting your hatred of bankers color your vision here.
Yes, I do have hatred for bankers,

Um...if there's less demand for his speciality than there was before, how will starting his own business help? It won't create more demand...
There is still a demand, he can compete in price.
I find the fact that the the only option for a former manager at the bank was a janitor hilarious.
It does fit with my views on the actual societal worth of the people in that industry. But it's still hilarious.
Again, no offense to janitors, it's just a fact that he was getting much bigger bucks before his current job.

Again, no offense to janitors, it's just a fact that he was getting much bigger bucks before his current job.
You say, 'no offense,' but why would that phrase carry any more weight than 'i feel guilty' and 'Is it wrong to feel satisfaction from this story?'
It's just something you know you're supposed to say, without any sign that you feel it. There's no point in that, no one in this thread expects any actual human sympathy from you at this point.

Just laugh that a member of a profession you hate indiscriminately has to scoop up kids' barf and make toilets pretty again. It'll be healthier for you in the long run.

While I think that it is quite a shame that a dropped charge and a botched investigation cost anyone their career, I have little pity for the man, and it disproves the special executive worth hypothesis: if he had some amazing skill that warranted his previously disgustingly large income, then he wouldn't be stuck cleaning up vomit and chewing gum now. his "rare and valuable" talents would be snatched up. What this shows is that it was not his skill but his connections, class, or position that got him the job before.

Sorry, banksters: your job may be stressful and hectic, but so is working at mcdonalds. You just aren't really worth more than minwage

Yes, I'd say anyone who takes satisfaction from this is in need of some recalibration.

There is nothing inherently immoral or unjust about working for a bank.

Sorry, banksters: your job may be stressful and hectic, but so is working at mcdonalds. You just aren't really worth more than minwage

I'm certainly paid more than I should be.

barbos:

I'm calling you out.

Did you read the entire article you linked to? Did you understand what you read?

Apparently not.

What purpose do you have here, barbos? Out with it.

Back
Top Bottom