• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

If you are not white and male whould you change your sex or ethnic origin if you could?

They do get in the way sometimes, yes. I find a wheelbarrow to be most handy.

BusterGonad.jpg

Not to hijack the thread, but I think it would be a very interesting social experiment if one had a portable holographic projector or something (and universal translator) to become whatever ethnic/sex combination desired. It would be enlightening penetrating various cultures. Um, that last sentence didn't come out right, but I am a white male...

You could simulate this by making fake profiles on various social media sites. I think it would make for a fine Sociology experiment. I wonder if we could get grant money? I wonder if it would be considered unethical to create fake profiles?

For this hypothetical, can I ignore the practical complications of completely changing my appearance in a way that conflicts with photographs, the race section of various forms I've filled out over the years, the memories of people who've met me, etc.? Can I put aside the fact that my family would no longer recognize me, and that even if I could convince them I was the same person, it would be awkward to suddenly be a different race from them? Can I put aside the psychological baggage from having spent my formative years as a minority?

If I can put all of those things aside, then yes, I would absolutely become white if I could (I'm already cismale, fortunately). If the bottom line here isn't, "would you use a bizarre sci-fi device to alter yourself?", but rather, "would you rather be a white male than what you are now?", then my answer is a definite yes, I would rather be white than black.

For this hypothetical, can I ignore the practical complications of completely changing my appearance in a way that conflicts with photographs, the race section of various forms I've filled out over the years, the memories of people who've met me, etc.? Can I put aside the fact that my family would no longer recognize me, and that even if I could convince them I was the same person, it would be awkward to suddenly be a different race from them? Can I put aside the psychological baggage from having spent my formative years as a minority?

If I can put all of those things aside, then yes, I would absolutely become white if I could (I'm already cismale, fortunately). If the bottom line here isn't, "would you use a bizarre sci-fi device to alter yourself?", but rather, "would you rather be a white male than what you are now?", then my answer is a definite yes, I would rather be white than black.

Thanks for the honest reply Unbeatable.

Question - do you consider a person's culture fixed or can he change it by immersion in another culture?

Changing oneself throws open a lot of issues (as others have pointed out). But perhaps we can sidestep them by asking a similar question: If you could choose the sex and race of your child-to-be would you?

Certainly in the sub-section of society in which I live, women (who presumably have some idea of what it's like to be a woman in this society) do not, generally, hope that their child is a boy (obviously some do, and some hope for a girl, but most don't seem to care). This suggests that, at least as far as gender is concerned, there's not much to choose - at least compared to the sort of society where women do hope to conceive a male child.

Race is a little trickier as people generally don't comment on what race they hope their baby turns out to be. But my feeling is that mixed-race couples do not, generally, have a preference as to which parent their children most resemble.

Back
Top Bottom