• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

I get the humor but not the math. He should have received $20.80.

The first square has 1 penny, second square has two pennies, third square has two pennies, fourth square has two pennies, ...

I get the humor but not the math. He should have received $20.80.

The first square has 1 penny, second square has two pennies, third square has two pennies, fourth square has two pennies, ...

Well that makes sense. The other way would have as well though. $20.80 would have been just as funny, since it would have been the maximum amount possible under the circumstances.

Well that makes sense. The other way would have as well though. $20.80 would have been just as funny, since it would have been the maximum amount possible under the circumstances.

The implied value is actually $184,467,440,737,095,516.15, referencing the  wheat and chessboard problem. Using the ambiguity of "and so on" to only give him $1.27 is the joke.

My first thought was 1+2+3+4+5....+64. $20.80. Once beero1000 pointed it out I recalled seeing some adaptation of the Wheat and Chessboard Problem years ago (sometime in the 70's) but had forgotten about it. I've forgotten a lot about the 70's.

XLnYgMy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom