• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

[TWEET]https://mobile.twitter.com/MikeBeauvais/status/1267945114955141126[/TWEET]

Vintage French dog cartoon
21741108_1622771947786282_2174139319975829_o.jpg

korea stuffed crowd.jpg

they still should sit farther apart.

View attachment 28115

I don't understand this image.

The pitcher looks tiny compared to the people at home plate.
It always looks this way, when shown on TV, when viewed from behind the pitcher.

Two possibilities occur:

1. Pitchers are generally small.

2. The broadcasters have some lens or filter that
makes the foreground look smaller than the background.

I ask people about this from time to time as the years
go by. So far, nobody has liked either of my suggested
explanations.

Does anybody here like either of those explanations?

Does anybody here think there's a third possibility?

View attachment 28115

It always looks this way, when shown on TV, when viewed from behind the pitcher.

Two possibilities occur:

explanations.

Well, since a measurement proves you wrong, I’d say your brain thinks the batter is taller because he’s standing next to someone who’s squatting.

Or there’s a black hole between the mound and plate that’s bending light to make the batter look larger.

View attachment 28115

Two possibilities occur:

explanations.

The pitcher is much bigger if you measure. My uneducated guess is that both distances are presented in clear focus by the photography technology, but your eye expects to see the distant figures out of focus if you're focused on the pitcher in the foreground. So your brain somehow interprets them as the same size, as if they were standing next to each other at the same distance.

I always assumed because the camera is elevated, the closer object is fore-shortened, the object further away is a full view. I could be wrong.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/TrumpsAlert/status/1269849151434420224[/TWEET]

If Trump watches Insecure too, I might have to vote for him. He's probably team Lawrence though.

View attachment 28115

Two possibilities occur:

explanations.

Well, since a measurement proves you wrong, I’d say your brain thinks the batter is taller because he’s standing next to someone who’s squatting.

Or there’s a black hole between the mound and plate that’s bending light to make the batter look larger.
It can really go either way... but yeah, it's that damn squatter out there mucking up our brains' ability to tell proper height differences.

View attachment 28115

Two possibilities occur:

explanations.

It can really go either way... but yeah, it's that damn squatter out there mucking up our brains' ability to tell proper height differences.

I think it's a combination of several factors, some of which have already been pointed out.

• The camera is elevated from field level which means the people at home plate are "higher" in the image than the pitcher.
  • The camera is a lot further from the pitcher than it appears to be and is using a telephoto lens. This is really the key component, because it gives you the illusion that you are much closer to the pitcher than the pitcher is to the batter. The ratio is very much the opposite. The pitcher is approximately 66 feet from the batter and the camera is around 340 feet from the pitcher.

To me it's a lot like the " moon illusion." There are many subtle things our brain does with context to make a stab at determining size. Most of the time these things work but sometimes they just don't.

What irks me most is the lack of masks in the crowd.

People chanting, singing, yelling... oh well.
At least it will yield some data on the open-air transmissibility of the Trump Virus. :shrug:

I doubt that anyone in that crowd will chant, sing, or yell.

Back
Top Bottom