• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

I’ve always wondered about these types of deals. Is the deal only when you purchase the stated amount. The implication here is that it is the same unit price but is the deal an offer on each individual item or does it only take effect when you purchase two?

Kind of like how “buy one get one free” is not the same as “one is 50% off”.

I’ve always wondered about these types of deals. Is the deal only when you purchase the stated amount. The implication here is that it is the same unit price but is the deal an offer on each individual item or does it only take effect when you purchase two?

No, I used to think for years that you had to buy the stated number of items to get the deal, but a friend told me that's not true. You can just buy one and get the same per unit price. He told me there's some kind of law behind that, but I never checked it out.

No, I used to think for years that you had to buy the stated number of items to get the deal, but a friend told me that's not true. You can just buy one and get the same per unit price. He told me there's some kind of law behind that, but I never checked it out.
I think you're right. In practice it was always the effective unit cost. That's what makes the image here silly.

I recall one store (maybe someone here recalls which) having huge losses when they decided to switch from having high prices that were always on sale to just lower prices. The effective cost was the same, but the psychology was that the buyer was more likely to purchase if they felt they were getting a deal.

That is true here, but sometimes only if you insist. Lots of grocery flimflammery here, especially in Safeway (now part of Albertsons). The BOGO might be entered but the single price was never overwritten. Sale signs go up on the aisles but routinely aren't entered into the registers, so you tell them if you notice and they fix it. But usually you're long gone looking at the receipt before you notice because it's tortuous just being in there.
I recommend an American Express card exclusively for groceries (and gas if you don't have a better one). You have to ask fr it but it gives 6% cash back on unlimited groceries and 3% on gas, on top of whatever store "specials" you can get. It adds up FAST.

I think you're right. In practice it was always the effective unit cost. That's what makes the image here silly.

I recall one store (maybe someone here recalls which) having huge losses when they decided to switch from having high prices that were always on sale to just lower prices. The effective cost was the same, but the psychology was that the buyer was more likely to purchase if they felt they were getting a deal.
I wonder if that was Macys. I recall seeing in the newspapers back in the 80's and 90's they regularly had sales with huge, double digit discounts. I started thinking they had to be seriously marking up the merchandise at the get-go to be able to keep having these frequent, huge discount sales all year long. It didn't make financial sense otherwise, and I don't remember seeing other stores doing it.

That is true here, but sometimes only if you insist. Lots of grocery flimflammery here, especially in Safeway (now part of Albertsons). The BOGO might be entered but the single price was never overwritten. Sale signs go up on the aisles but routinely aren't entered into the registers, so you tell them if you notice and they fix it. But usually you're long gone looking at the receipt before you notice because it's tortuous just being in there.
I recommend an American Express card exclusively for groceries (and gas if you don't have a better one). You have to ask fr it but it gives 6% cash back on unlimited groceries and 3% on gas, on top of whatever store "specials" you can get. It adds up FAST.
I might have to look into that Am Ex cared. My grocery bills have been topping $200 regularly.

I wonder if that was Macys. I recall seeing in the newspapers back in the 80's and 90's they regularly had sales with huge, double digit discounts. I started thinking they had to be seriously marking up the merchandise at the get-go to be able to keep having these frequent, huge discount sales all year long. It didn't make financial sense otherwise, and I don't remember seeing other stores doing it.
Hmm… Macy’s sounds familiar for that. Could be.

Depends on the store but very often it does require the quantity and thus this ad correction is not a null.

I always watch what sale items ring up as. UPC scanning is reliable enough not to worry about but humans entering sales are another matter--especially if it's the first day of the sale. Likewise, humans failing to take down sale signs.

What card is 6% back on groceries?

I always watch what sale items ring up as. UPC scanning is reliable enough not to worry about but humans entering sales are another matter--especially if it's the first day of the sale. Likewise, humans failing to take down sale signs.

My Amex Blue Cash card pays 5% on gas & groceries. Possibly pharmacy too; I’d have to check.

No card is that afaik - my Amex ("Blue Preferred Cash" or something - you have to call them and ask about it or they won't offer it) gives 6% at "grocery stores" - of which there are only three in my area. I tend to buy packaged foods at WallyWorld, but that's a superstore with hardware, automotive, sporting goods etc. etc. They don't consider it a "grocery store" and so doesn't qualify for Amex "grocery store" discounts (it's like 1½% on 'other' purchases, I'd have to check), so I use a USAA card there which has (I believe) a straight up 2% cash back. WalMart prices on canned, frozen and most other foods where quality doesn't vary, are waaay below Safeway's.
The Amex's 3% on gas is also fairly significant, since gas is still over $3.50/gal here.
Just checked my "rewards" balance and it's over $600!! Even at today's prices that's a real fancy night out, or a medium quality brand used guitar!

ETA: I try NOT to use that Amex anywhere other than grocery stores and gas station. Amex is so hard on vendors, even if they take it I will use a Visa card instead. They're probably paying the processor 3.5% on Amex and less than 1.5% on Visa/MC.

Back
Top Bottom