• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

GPF5j6UXsAAy3Q5.jpg

Please submit this to the caption contest. I want to know what it ran into, to come out like this.
Reality.

Maybe Jesus really is a god!!

First evidence I’ve ever seen!
Well, LOOK, Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead without asking for anything in advance or in return. It was a miracle, ask anyone.

Pfft, they're wrong. THE MIRACLE was actually ...
free healthcare
!

The driver didn't know what to do and said "Jesus take the wheel!"
Anyone who has a sign that says "TRUMP - Law and Order" doesn't know an awful lot of things about reality.
article said:
"Holy crap," Cross replied before suggesting that the accident had been a "freaking miracle" because no one was hurt when the bus crossed the intersection without a driver.
Yes, it was a miracle that the bus just started rolling on its own. God couldn't be applauded for miracles like making the bus not move while it was inappropriately parked because no one would notice.

It happens a lot. I am not sure why, but it seems surprisingly common for bus drivers to leave their vehicles without applying the park brake.

Heavy automatic transmissions don't have a "Park" setting, so there's nothing to stop them from rolling away if the driver is careless.

We have about 170 buses in my depot, and around 500 drivers; There have been two "runaway bus" incidents in this group in the last three years. So that's one every 113 bus years, or one every 333 driver years; At that rate, maybe one in every twenty drivers will make this mistake once in their career (usually right at the very end of their career, for what I hope are obvious reasons).

It's a mystery to me how it is possible. It seems to me about as normal as leaving home, without remembering to put on clothes first.

It happens a lot. I am not sure why, but it seems surprisingly common for bus drivers to leave their vehicles without applying the park brake.

Heavy automatic transmissions don't have a "Park" setting, so there's nothing to stop them from rolling away if the driver is careless.

We have about 170 buses in my depot, and around 500 drivers; There have been two "runaway bus" incidents in this group in the last three years. So that's one every 113 bus years, or one every 333 driver years; At that rate, maybe one in every twenty drivers will make this mistake once in their career (usually right at the very end of their career, for what I hope are obvious reasons).

It's a mystery to me how it is possible. It seems to me about as normal as leaving home, without remembering to put on clothes first.
I drive a tiny car with a standard transmission, but always put the brake on. It is second nature. Doesn't matter what the grade is. It isn't even a consideration. I can't imagine not braking a bus.

Heavy automatic transmissions don't have a "Park" setting
Why not?
Because the park pawl (the pin that locks the transmission) would need to be ridiculously huge to restrain such a heavy load.

Cars are tiny; Not much mechanical strength is needed to restrain them.

I suspect it's because of the transmissions.

I learned on a stick, setting the parking brake was simply the normal procedure. I've seen an awful lot of automatic transmission drivers simply use the Park setting and never touch the parking brake. Put somebody like that on a bus and they don't have the set-the-parking-brake reflex.

As for remembering to put clothes on:

(My understanding is that he was wearing a top and underwear, though--he had laid his pants out to dry then forgot them. Thus the trail name.)

Why not?
Because the park pawl (the pin that locks the transmission) would need to be ridiculously huge to restrain such a heavy load.

It seems to me that there is room here for someone to be innovative and invent a better system.

Why not?

It seems to me that there is room here for someone to be innovative and invent a better system.
How about dropping an anchor?

Why not?

On anyone who gets out of the driver's seat without applying the park brake. :)

Why not?

I wonder why no automatic parking brake. I know Audis set the parking brake whether you like it or not. Bendix makes Intellipark for buses.

Even with an automatic trans, I always set my brake. I never liked the stress placed on the parking pawl.

Why not?

I wonder why no automatic parking brake. I know Audis set the parking brake whether you like it or not. Bendix makes Intellipark for buses.
Bear in mind, most buses are old. They last a long time, so any innovations take a long time to filter through to widespread use.

This goes double for buses used by political campaigners and the like; Most such vehicles have served a long life as city transport, before being bought second-hand by people who want a cheap bus. It would shock me if that Trump bus was less than twenty-five years old.
Even with an automatic trans, I always set my brake. I never liked the stress placed on the parking pawl.
Me too. I cannot understand why this isn't universal practice.

Back
Top Bottom