• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

I've read that the '77 show at Cornell was one of their best. A bunch of my friends were there; I was neck deep in a computer science project and did not attend. I barely managed to avoid getting high walking past the line outside the venue on my way to lab.

I've read that the '77 show at Cornell was one of their best. A bunch of my friends were there; I was neck deep in a computer science project and did not attend. I barely managed to avoid getting high walking past the line outside the venue on my way to lab.

5-8-77 Barton Hall, Cornell is considered to be one of their best and it's certainly one of the most famous. A copy is in the Library of Congress. I think that 5-7-77 Boston and 5-9-77 Buffalo are just as good. All of spring '77 they were on fire. I'd argue that 5-22-77 is the best of May 77.

There is some debate over why 5-8-77 gets almost all of the attention. An entire 350 page book was written by Peter Conner on the Cornell show. I've forgotten the exact explanation but for some reason there were a lot of high quality bootlegs of that show around. There were not as many from other shows in the May '77 run. For unknown reasons bootlegs from the other shows were harder to find and the recording quality not as good.

Oh and during the 77 show it started snowing out. I hear it was a real mess when the concert ended dealing with the snow.

Cornell '77 was for sure one of the first several good quality bootlegs I got when I started collecting tapes. Why Cornell? I really don't know.

But I hear that Barton Hall still has one of the worst acoustics as a venue. I think Bob Weir described is as playing inside a tin can or something like that. Dead and Co played there May 8 2023. We watched the stream.

Barton Hall
Barton Hall Cornell.jpg

5-8-77 Barton Hall, Cornell is considered to be one of their best and it's certainly one of the most famous. A copy is in the Library of Congress. I think that 5-7-77 Boston and 5-9-77 Buffalo are just as good. All of spring '77 they were on fire. I'd argue that 5-22-77 is the best of May 77.

There is some debate over why 5-8-77 gets almost all of the attention. An entire 350 page book was written by Peter Conner on the Cornell show. I've forgotten the exact explanation but for some reason there were a lot of high quality bootlegs of that show around. There were not as many from other shows in the May '77 run. For unknown reasons bootlegs from the other shows were harder to find and the recording quality not as good.

Oh and during the 77 show it started snowing out. I hear it was a real mess when the concert ended dealing with the snow.

Cornell '77 was for sure one of the first several good quality bootlegs I got when I started collecting tapes. Why Cornell? I really don't know.

But I hear that Barton Hall still has one of the worst acoustics as a venue. I think Bob Weir described is as playing inside a tin can or something like that. Dead and Co played there May 8 2023. We watched the stream.

Barton Hall
View attachment 47990
Yikes. Flat reflective surfaces, some directly opposed … a sure fire recipe for a sound so muddy as to be indistinguishable from resulting headache. They should have at least hung some absorbing surfaces from the ceiling.
Presumably the stream you watched took sound from the board, not the air.

It's funny that this very question came up on Reddit today.

Barton Hall
View attachment 47990
Barton Hall was made for athletic events (basketball, indoor track, etc.). Terrible for sound.

Snow, in May, in Ithaca? I’m shocked. 🤣

Back
Top Bottom