• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

I was curious about this symbol and did a little searching. I had no idea where this came from and when it was created or who else knows. This is from 2016.
bibliographical reference said:
The work was selected as the Poster of the Week by the Center for the Study of Political Graphics in Culver City, California, in the week running up to the United States Presidential Election of 2016. The designers explained, "Let's be clear: for some Americans, the attractive aspects of Donald Trump’s public persona can obscure his repellent views. The tension in our design between positive and negative space—between luxe gold foil letters and the matte black swastika—is meant to mirror this dualism, and it is a tension that makes some uncomfortable.” The designers were inspired by Jesse Reed and Michael Bierut's design of an official H monogram for Hillary Clinton's campaign, so decided to create an unauthorized poster for Trump. In their own words as quoted from a press release issued with the poster: "Whereas Hillary's H pulls one's eye to the letterform itself, the narrative implicit in our design requires the viewer's gaze to oscillate between foreground and background; between typographic form and counter-form. The form comprises four gold rotating letter Ts which are emblematic of qualities projected by Donald Trump and largely accepted by his supporters: strength, success, wealth, and revolutionary (ie. impolitic) speech. The counter-form suggests a conflicting narrative, however: namely that Trump's disruptive and divisive rhetoric is creating metaphoric negative spaces in the fabric of American society. These spaces- fracture lines really - snake through the design's square silhouette to reveal a swastika. And while the swastika is historically a symbol of dynamism and cyclical renewal associated with the sun, in this context it simply evokes hate speech and nationalist demagoguery
Interestingly enough, this is a rather common idea though (from 2017).
Joe-Miller-Trump-Sign-336x259.jpg

article said:
Joe Miller, a lecturer on design at San Jose State University, reached out to San Jose Inside and confirmed that he saw the man holding the sign.

“I kind of lumped it in my mind with the ‘Fuck Trump’ posters that day, which there were many more of,” Miller said. “I heard, too, that he was flipping people off, but I never saw that at the time.”

A student in Miller’s class, which discussed the incident and the design principles of the protest symbol, identified the man’s hat as pro-Bernie Sanders paraphernalia.

Back
Top Bottom