• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

Can't find the "funny videos" thread but this is too hilarious not to post here so ...

Can't find the "funny videos" thread but this is too hilarious not to post here so ...

LOL! What is it about small flying creatures that makes them want to go full on kamakazi into the flames? I remember as a kid staying up at our cabin reading by candlelight (no electricity) on hot summer nights during a bark beetle epidemic. Every so often, the flame would extinguish, followed by a beetle struggling in the hot wax goo. I musta relit that candle about 5-10 times a night.

For some odd reason the "Videos that make you laugh" is in the Media and Popular Culture forum.

LOL! What is it about small flying creatures that makes them want to go full on kamakazi into the flames? I remember as a kid staying up at our cabin reading by candlelight (no electricity) on hot summer nights during a bark beetle epidemic. Every so often, the flame would extinguish, followed by a beetle struggling in the hot wax goo. I musta relit that candle about 5-10 times a night.

For some odd reason the "Videos that make you laugh" is in the Media and Popular Culture forum.

Small flying creatures evolved to navigate by flying at a fixed angle to a light source. If that light source is a long way off - like the moon, planets, or stars - that results in a straight* line of flight, even if the wind is trying to push you off track.

Sadly, if the light source is nearby, it results in a spiral course that orbits the light at steadily increasing or decreasing distance.

In the latter case, this implies that the flier will fairly quickly arrive at the source of the light.

The moon, planets, and stars have been around for as long as there have been insects. But artificial lights are a very recent phenomenon.

*Actually a curve with the light source at its centre; But a curve centred on the moon is close enough to a straight line when you're an insect flying a few miles at most.

Small flying creatures evolved to navigate by flying at a fixed angle to a light source. If that light source is a long way off - like the moon, planets, or stars - that results in a straight* line of flight, even if the wind is trying to push you off track.

Sadly, if the light source is nearby, it results in a spiral course that orbits the light at steadily increasing or decreasing distance.

In the latter case, this implies that the flier will fairly quickly arrive at the source of the light.

The moon, planets, and stars have been around for as long as there have been insects. But artificial lights are a very recent phenomenon.

*Actually a curve with the light source at its centre; But a curve centred on the moon is close enough to a straight line when you're an insect flying a few miles at most.

I wouldn't think they could navigate by the planets or stars--too many light sources to track on one.

It's annoying, though. Around here bugs are normally basically a non-issue while hiking. Those of us with more colorful packs sometimes get a bee buzzing around but they don't cause a problem other than for the bee-phobic. However, if you're hiking at night with a headlamp it draws in the bugs, you keep having them fly a few inches in front of your face where they are extremely bright. If it's near a full moon and the trail is good enough I prefer hiking without a light because of the cloud of bugs you attract.

y2ao2jls36461.jpg

Back
Top Bottom