• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Images that make you laugh

Battlestar Galactica... Liked the original as a kid. Can see now that a lot of the stories were ripping off the bible.
Bible? You didn't catch the Mormon references?

Didn't read the book of Mormon until long after watching Battlestar Galactica. The bible parallels are pretty obvious. What are the Mormon references?

It's been a while. Probably a website with more than i remember.

The twelve tribes of Israel searching for the lost 13th in the New World.
The survivors of the 12 planets searching the 13th planet, according to ancient texts.

They had a President, supported by the council of 12.
LDS has a oresident, council of 12.

Lots of Egyptian references by Joseph Smith, lots of Egyptian references in the setting of BSG. Helmets of the Viper pilots. Couple scenes where thery walked around either Egyptian sets or a Cheesecake Factory...

BSG marriages referred to as 'sealed.' Mormon-speak.

Okay, so i know if there was a murder in my house, the realtor has to mention it to prospective buyers.
If i die of natural causes (age, or kicked out of bed for farting, break my neck on the way down....) and do the tree thing, and my kid sells the house in 40 years.... Would they be required to reveal that the tree out by the mailbox used to be a guy who lived here, 2001-2026?

The survivors of the 12 planets searching the 13th planet, according to ancient texts.

Lots of Egyptian references by Joseph Smith, lots of Egyptian references in the setting of BSG. Helmets of the Viper pilots. Couple scenes where thery walked around either Egyptian sets or a Cheesecake Factory...

Interesting. I looked some up, they are a lot less noticeable than the general christian references. Like Kobal / Kolab reference.

Didn't read the book of Mormon until long after watching Battlestar Galactica. The bible parallels are pretty obvious. What are the Mormon references?

Just a centon, do the Mormons also use decimal units of time?

It's more of a general vibe than a direct reference. I think for the creators of the new series, the aesthetics of the Hellenistic-coded Colonies and the Mormon-coded Cylons were something of a visual shorthand to help American TV audiences keep up with the complicated plot. Like, "Ah, the family-obsessed, outwardly wholesome but definitely creepy religious cult is fighting the creatively intelligent but hubristic fading empire. Got it." In season 4, when the lines between the two factions were becoming blurred, the religious symbolism suddenly turned decidely more Vedic than Euroamerican, for both sides. I liked the show a lot, but a trustworthy primer to world religions it was not, most of their references made very little literal sense. Greek mythology fan that I am, I kept waiting for Athena to do something wise, the Sagitterons to do something fun, etc, to no avail.

BOOMER-TYROL.jpg

jobfails24MobileImageSizeReigNN.jpg

Arghh, it's everywhere I look now, like a rickroll.

crossword bernie mittens.jpg

Back
Top Bottom