• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Immigrants being dropped off? PUT THEM TO WORK, Dumb-Dumb!

What should be done about all the new immigrant arrivals in major U.S. cities?

• Put them to work, or let employers hire them.

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Keep shipping them around from one city to another.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crack down on independent contractors.

• Raise the minimum wage to $20/hour

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Pass more labor laws to crack down on employers.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Lock up all employers who hire an "illegal" immigrant.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Shut down all the sweatshops.

• Call a general strike. Shut down major industries.

• Elect Donald Trump.

• Re-elect Joe Biden to continue the present policies.

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Show me a company with a staff of monolingual English speakers, and I'll show you a company that only does local business.

And in certain parts of the country, those that do local business do it in Spanish. I lived in southern New Mexico and El Paso for years. The best places to eat were often the little "hole in the wall" Mexican restaurants where you placed your order in Spanish.

Nowadays, I work for a tech company based in San Francisco, and the level of diversity would absolutely terrify some of the people in the lily-white town where I grew up. Of course there's plenty of Asian Americans (with names like Tan, Lau, Nguyen, Chu, etc.), most of the managers in my department are women, and when I went through the interview process for my upcoming job, only one of the people I talked to was a white, straight male.

The "Make America Great Again" crowd doesn't want that. "Wait...your boss is a woman? And she's black?" Yes. She's awesome. And a few months from now my boss will be a black immigrant. To my mind, this is what makes America great. Not Lumpy's dream of sending migrants who show up on these shores into camps where they can work for half as much as everyone else, but welcoming people who may not have names like "Smith" or "Jones" but have worth that can enrich our society.
So what's the difference between your perceived utopia and the tower of babel?
That is a bizarre statement to make because in The Tower of Babel, man was achieving such incredible things, god feared the success would be too great, so he fucked things up.

In a way, that's what I alluded to earlier. Chinese Exclusion Acts, Tulsa Massacre, Muslim bans, hysteria about a border "invasion," etc. It's fear. White Replacement... whatever you want to call it. They're worried about immigrants/POC finding success and taking away things that the white patriarchy thinks "belong" to only them, so when they feel threatened, they fuck things up.

Immigrants have brought culture and good food to Canada. If I had to spend all of my time hanging out with British descendants, and eating their food, I'd lose it.

Immigrants have brought culture and good food to Canada. If I had to spend all of my time hanging out with British descendants, and eating their food, I'd lose it
I totally get that. My family is Irish.
Music is better, but cuisine is horrendous.

But let me repeat myself again.

Immigrants Made America Great in the first Place. Music and food aren't unimportant. But they aren't the most important things immigrants have brought to this country.

Strength and tenacity and willingness used to be big deals in the USA. Too bad the Teaparty sold the culture of entitlement and victimhood to the progeny of those immigrants.
Tom

Immigrants have brought culture and good food to Canada. If I had to spend all of my time hanging out with British descendants, and eating their food, I'd lose it
I totally get that. My family is Irish.
Music is better, but cuisine is horrendous.

But let me repeat myself again.

Immigrants Made America Great in the first Place. Music and food aren't unimportant. But they aren't the most important things immigrants have brought to this country.

Strength and tenacity and willingness used to be big deals in the USA. Too bad the Teaparty sold the culture of entitlement and victimhood to the progeny of those immigrants.
Tom

If it's done right, immigration is generally desirable. It's a much bigger problem if people want to leave your country. When people come to your country it provides an opportunity to make use of a wider variety of skills. People who oppose immigration are just paranoid / uninformed.

But it can be a problem if done wrong. Canada is facing a pretty severe housing crisis right now because of it. Although it's hard to know if we were making a trade-off between economic growth and housing, because the census numbers hadn't been looking good.

Canada is facing a pretty severe housing crisis right now because of it.
Are you though?

There seems to be a pretty severe housing crisis all across the developed world, regardless of how many immigrants are arriving in each country, so that strongly suggests that the major driver is economics, not immigration.

The suggestion that the cause is immigration seems to be one of those "obviously true" claims beloved of propagandists, that closer examination shows not to be true at all - or better yet for propaganda purposes, to be true only of a minuscule subset of the problem.

Canada is facing a pretty severe housing crisis. Immigration obviously isn't helping; but is it really a major cause of the crisis? Or is that just what the people who are actually responsible for the major causes would prefer you to think, so as to avoid being held accountable?

It's a complex problem, and one that the politicians who are elected to solve such problems likely aren't particularly culpable for (though they are nevertheless responsible for trying to address it). In their shoes, I too would probably be looking for a simple and popular explanation that I could easily be seen to care about, such as immigration, to distract voters from my inability to actually fix the problem.

The most significant fundamental cause of the housing crisis across the OECD is probably the economic impacts of Putin's invasion of Ukraine, particularly the effect on fuel prices and, as a result, both inflation and interest rates.

Canada is facing a pretty severe housing crisis right now because of it.
Are you though?

There seems to be a pretty severe housing crisis all across the developed world, regardless of how many immigrants are arriving in each country, so that strongly suggests that the major driver is economics, not immigration.

The suggestion that the cause is immigration seems to be one of those "obviously true" claims beloved of propagandists, that closer examination shows not to be true at all - or better yet for propaganda purposes, to be true only of a minuscule subset of the problem.

Canada is facing a pretty severe housing crisis. Immigration obviously isn't helping; but is it really a major cause of the crisis? Or is that just what the people who are actually responsible for the major causes would prefer you to think, so as to avoid being held accountable?

It's a complex problem, and one that the politicians who are elected to solve such problems likely aren't particularly culpable for (though they are nevertheless responsible for trying to address it). In their shoes, I too would probably be looking for a simple and popular explanation that I could easily be seen to care about, such as immigration, to distract voters from my inability to actually fix the problem.

The most significant fundamental cause of the housing crisis across the OECD is probably the economic impacts of Putin's invasion of Ukraine, particularly the effect on fuel prices and, as a result, both inflation and interest rates.

I haven't seen any comparisons with other countries in terms of housing, but I've seen at least one economist indicate that immigration has exacerbated the problem here.

I think around 2017 or so the government let in a massive influx and new builds weren't even in the ballpark.

But again, we have a demographic problem so we might have needed the influx. It's hard to know.

If it's the asylum program we're talking about, the number of successful asylum cases varies considerably from year to year, but it is always in the tens of thousands.

So you want to significantly increase the tax burden on the wealthy for a few thousand asylum seekers? What about the rest of the “new residents”, the hundreds of thousands of non asylum seekers, you know, the “migrants”, the “immigrants” etc.

Not sure you’ve thought this through fella.
Oh no, funding the government properly is a general preoccupation of mine. The immigration "problem" is just one of many problems that wouldn't be problems if the US wasn't obsessed with keeping its entire education, healthcare, policing, and housing systems on perpetually desperate shoestring budgets while letting its most prosperous citizens loophole their way out of getting taxed at all.

Isn't that saying you want to increase the tax burden on the wealthy? Or just the wealthy individuals that you think don't pay ANY tax?

I mean I kind of agree, after all the likes of Joe, Hunter and Jim Biden seem to loophole their way out of paying taxes.

If it's the asylum program we're talking about, the number of successful asylum cases varies considerably from year to year, but it is always in the tens of thousands.

So you want to significantly increase the tax burden on the wealthy for a few thousand asylum seekers? What about the rest of the “new residents”, the hundreds of thousands of non asylum seekers, you know, the “migrants”, the “immigrants” etc.

Oh no, funding the government properly is a general preoccupation of mine. The immigration "problem" is just one of many problems that wouldn't be problems if the US wasn't obsessed with keeping its entire education, healthcare, policing, and housing systems on perpetually desperate shoestring budgets while letting its most prosperous citizens loophole their way out of getting taxed at all.

Isn't that saying you want to increase the tax burden on the wealthy? Or just the wealthy individuals that you think don't pay ANY tax?

I mean I kind of agree, after all the likes of Joe, Hunter and Jim Biden seem to loophole their way out of paying taxes.
I'm not sure what you mean by "burden" - if tax law is presenting an unreasonable burden to someone's wellbeing, it is not a well designed taxation system - but yes, I think taxing at a rate that will keep the government solvent is a good idea, and would result in more flexible government offices and agencies capable of planning ahead to prevent novel situations from becoming urgent crises.

Or just the wealthy individuals that you think don't pay ANY tax?
Were you not watching, or hear about, the episode on national TV?
Where Clinton pointed that "billionaire" Trump doesn't pay any federal taxes. His response was "Because I'm smart"?
Don't you remember that?
Tom

Do you ever think before you type?

I think you're the one who needs to think before you type. He's obviously making reference to allegedly unreported income from the Biden family's dealings in Ukraine, China, etc. Jim and Hunter Biden were dead giveaway clues.

I think you're the one who needs to think before you type. He's obviously making reference to allegedly unreported income from the Biden family's dealings in Ukraine, China, etc. Jim and Hunter Biden were dead giveaway clues.
There's never been any proof of any of that. Just making the allegations is apparently proof enough for the MAGAts though.

The sanctuary city thing doesn't seem to be working out;

New York City will distribute flyers at shelters and the southern border warning migrants that they will not be given free housing in the Big Apple - and telling them to go somewhere more affordable, as the sanctuary city has been overwhelmed by 116,000 new arrivals in just 18 months. Democratic Mayor Eric Adams’ administration announced on Wednesday it would distribute the literature as part of their efforts to keep more asylum seekers from coming to the city, which is currently housing and feeding more than 60,000 asylum seekers. Deputy mayor for Health and Human Services Ana Williams Isom showed the updated flyers during a City Council meeting, and said they would be used to combat 'misinformation' coming from social media or human traffickers about migrant services in the city. Adams has been trying to get the Right to Shelter policy suspended

Daily Mail

New York City will distribute flyers at shelters and the southern border warning migrants that they will not be given free housing in the Big Apple - and telling them to go somewhere more affordable, as the sanctuary city has been overwhelmed by 116,000 new arrivals in just 18 months. Democratic Mayor Eric Adams’ administration announced on Wednesday it would distribute the literature as part of their efforts to keep more asylum seekers from coming to the city, which is currently housing and feeding more than 60,000 asylum seekers. Deputy mayor for Health and Human Services Ana Williams Isom showed the updated flyers during a City Council meeting, and said they would be used to combat 'misinformation' coming from social media or human traffickers about migrant services in the city. Adams has been trying to get the Right to Shelter policy suspended

Daily Mail
These people aren't illegals. NYC has one of the largest (if not the largest) immigration populations in the country. The trouble is managing the large number of people and getting them housing and working on asylum. NYC doesn't have an infinite amount of resources.

It really is too bad that conservatives can't behave like adults regarding immigration and asylum.

Daily Mail
These people aren't illegals. NYC has one of the largest (if not the largest) immigration populations in the country. The trouble is managing the large number of people and getting them housing and working on asylum. NYC doesn't have an infinite amount of resources.

It really is too bad that conservatives can't behave like adults regarding immigration and asylum.
The question in my mind is "Who are the folks on Social Media that told these people that they would get free housing in the Big Apple?".

This entire "problem" seems to be something that a lot of wealthy and powerful people are very happy to make worse, for political reasons.

Thinking is hard. Caring enough to actually find information and tethering opinions is also hard. Conservatism is an ideology built around effort minimisation.

Right wing xenophobe heads to the Southern border to try to stem the flow of asylum seekers heading to his city;

New York City Mayor Eric Adams traveled to Mexico to discourage asylum seekers from traveling to the city because it is 'at capacity' as it struggles to accommodate the 122,000 who have arrived in 18 months - in stark contrast to when he personally welcomed them with open arms last year. 'This is just the beginning of the journey of trying to be on the ground and understand the whole flow of migrant and asylum seekers,' Adams said last night as he arrived in Mexico City for a four-day trip where he will also travel to Ecuador and Colombia to speak to leaders in those countries. On Tuesday, the desperate mayor also pleaded with a judge to end the city's longstanding 'right to shelter' law, asking that it be void in a state of emergency. The city has been moving to suspend the policy for months under the surge of migrants, arguing the requirement was never intended to be applied to a humanitarian crisis such as the latest influx.

Daily Mail

Also, Brandon has initiated building a section of a (racist!!) wall on the Southern border in Texas, violating several federal laws into the bargain.

Why do dems hate brown people? What are they afraid of?

These people aren't illegals.
Did I say they were?
You very much implied it by referencing "sanctuary cities", which was regarding illegal immigration..
NYC has one of the largest (if not the largest) immigration populations in the country.
So?
So? Do you even read your own posts? It is implied that NYC welcomed them with open arms but once they got too many, they started complaining. The reality is that NYC manages a massive amount of immigration and contribute a lot of shelter, aid, jobs, etc... to immigrants from across the globe. NYC is doing a lot to help provide places for immigrants to live in our country. They don't give them bus tickets to West Cattle Fuck, Oklahoma.

Back
Top Bottom