• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Independence Day

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Today is the anniversary of the date when Colonial philosophers / merchants / politicians set forth the idea that birthright / family lineage could be replaced with an amended system of governance that recognized the right of self-governance.

But we do not celebrate today because of that. We celebrate today because those same people, flawed as they were, adhered to the same principles once they had wrested the powers from Britain. President Washington stood down, President Adams stood down, President Jefferson stood down, etc...

We can celebrate Independence Day because the Founding Fathers', and generally those that followed, adherence to the fundamental principles that Democracies require in order to function and remain intact.

Because Democracies can not thrive without the will for them to exist.

My favorite holiday is Halloween, but hot dog day is good too.

In most jurisdictions, we aren't legally given enough independence to celebrate this holiday with fireworks. The labor class now pays far more tax than during the original tea party tax rebellion. Giving more of their time and service to established bureaucrats in Washington then the serfs gave to their Kings did during medieval times. Regardless of color, ethnicity, or background, we are all part of modern day slavery in and on the plantations of slavelandia USA.

Independence Day is a day worthy to celebrate only if you are living in your bubble matrix. And it will be even less of a holiday if the WEF gets its way with the world.

In most jurisdictions, we aren't legally given enough independence to celebrate this holiday with fireworks. The labor class now pays far more tax than during the original tea party tax rebellion. Giving more of their time and service to established bureaucrats in Washington then the serfs gave to their Kings did during medieval times. Regardless of color, ethnicity, or background, we are all part of modern day slavery in and on the plantations of slavelandia USA.

Independence Day is a day worthy to celebrate only if you are living in your bubble matrix. And it will be even less of a holiday if the WEF gets its way with the world.
Life must be miserable in that imaginary dystopia of yours.

Living standards today by any reasonable metric are much higher than in the medieval or colonial times.

Living standards today by any reasonable metric are much higher than in the medieval or colonial times.
I agree with you that living standards today are much better. But technology and automation is not freedom and independence from government. And they do not need to be mutually exclusive.

It should be possible to live free and also have technology.

I agree with you that living standards today are much better. But technology and automation is not freedom and independence from government. And they do not need to be mutually exclusive.

Exactly what freedoms do you feel entitled to but you are being denied?

The freedom not to pay so many taxes. I almost feel like it is actually the US government working for my employer and I get a cut from the paycheck going to them since I'm the one who shows up everyday. I lose over 50% of my paycheck to taxes in one form or another.

The freedom to do what I want to do with my house. If I want to make an improvement, I should be allowed to do the work myself if it pleases me.

The freedom to raise my kids like I want. I should not have to be constantly worried about whether someone else thinks I am not doing a good enough job at this.

The freedom to buy drugs that I know will help my health without a prescription from a doctor.

The freedom to buy a car that doesn't constantly have a bell going off if I decide I do not want to wear a seat belt.

The freedom to ride a bike without a helmit if it pleases me

Stuff like that

The freedom not to pay so many taxes. I almost feel like it is actually the US government working for my employer and I get a cut from the paycheck going to them since I'm the one who shows up everyday. I lose over 50% of my paycheck to taxes in one form or another.
Extremely doubtful.

The freedom to do what I want to do with my house. If I want to make an improvement, I should be allowed to do the work myself if it pleases me.
Who's stopping you?

The freedom to raise my kids like I want. I should not have to be constantly worried about whether someone else thinks I am not doing a good enough job at this.
That sounds like a personal problem to me. What are you doing that would make you worried?

The freedom to buy drugs that I know will help my health without a prescription from a doctor.
I kind've agree with you on that but that definitely is a double edged sword.

The freedom to buy a car that doesn't constantly have a bell going off if I decide I do not want to wear a seat belt.
If you don't want to wear a seatbelt, fine with me. But you should be required to provide adequate insurance coverage if the idiocy of driving without a seat belt splits your head open when you fly through the windshield. No leeching off the state for your long term care. I hope you have deep pockets.

The freedom to ride a bike without a helmit if it pleases me.
If you don't want to wear a helmet, fine with me. But you should be required to provide adequate insurance coverage if the idiocy of driving without a helmet splits your head open when you fly over the front of your bike*. No leeching off the state for your long term care. I hope you have deep pockets.

*That actually happened to my brother and sister in law riding their big Harley trike through the Wyoming mountains. A huge mule deer came from out of the woods and they hit it square at speed. Both of them flew over the trike and sustained multiple injuries. If they had not been wearing their helmets they both would have been dead. And it totaled the trike.
Stuff like that
Sounds a little selfish to me.

Extremely doubtful.

Its mathematically provable.

And I'm more than fine that the state not being required to pay for any of my stupidity.

And being free is not selfish. If you feel being a slave is normal then tell that to all the people who want reparations.

And being free is not selfish. If you feel being a slave is normal then tell that to all the people who want reparations.

So you whiney little list of “freedoms” you lack puts you in the same boat as slaves in the antebellum South?

Interesting.

Sounds like the old libertarian conundrum.
How can I have maximum freedom with minimal responsibly.
It is a bitch sometimes living in a large diverse society.
There are places you can live that have low taxes and minimal building codes.
But, it's hard to make a good living there.
How about Northern Idaho?
Or interior Alaska?

the original tea party tax rebellion.
...was a protest against a tax cut.

The good people of Boston had a very lucrative business importing tea, and the reduction in tea excise, granted exclusively to the East India Company, threatened to undercut their enterprise.

They were pissed off because the tax cut was only applicable to John Company, instead of being universal. You know, like the unfair tax cuts for billionaires that don't apply to ordinary American workers today, as supported enthusiastically by the Republican Party.

If you wan't to invoke the spirit of 1773 with your voting choices, you will need to vote for the Democrats.

And being free is not selfish.
It is, the way you define it.

What you think is "freedom" has little or no relationship to the freedom people have fought for over the centuries, and everything to do with wanting the benefits of expensive infrastructure and societal support, without being required to pay for it; And with wanting to impose your behavioural choices on your neighbours, while being protected from their choices imposing upon you.

the original tea party tax rebellion.
...was a protest against a tax cut.

The good people of Boston had a very lucrative business importing tea, and the reduction in tea excise, granted exclusively to the East India Company, threatened to undercut their enterprise.

They were pissed off because the tax cut was only applicable to John Company, instead of being universal. You know, like the unfair tax cuts for billionaires that don't apply to ordinary American workers today, as supported enthusiastically by the Republican Party.

If you wan't to invoke the spirit of 1773 with your voting choices, you will need to vote for the Democrats.
I read the Boston tea party folks were mad because they sold bootleg tea without paying taxes. Since they were selling it illegally (not reporting sales and paying taxes on it) they sold it cheaper than East India Company. By removing the tax the East India Company could then sell it cheaper than the bootleggers and thats why they got mad.

I strongly suspect you vastly overestimate your income tac burden.
RVonse said:
Where do you live where you are prohibited from improving your housethrough your own labor?

RVonse said:
When do you think that freedom was taken away from you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly suspect you vastly overestimate your income tac burden.
RV did say that his tax burden was > 50%, not his income tax burden. Perhaps he is including his state taxes in his calculation?

Don't worry. If you get your way in the upcoming election, in 2025 you'll discover what it really means to lose freedoms and what it means to be a slave. I bet you 2 covefes and a hamberder.

It should not be about how much taxes you pay (provided it's reasonable amount of course), it should be about how they are spent. I doubt that British King spend any of these taxes in the colonies building roads and shit.

Back
Top Bottom