• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is Georgia on your mind?

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
It's happening. Voters eligibility are being questioned in Georgia by other voters.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/severa...bility-challenges/WOUAH77TLRBD5A5HLLFSJV3S44/

When Barbara Helm tried to vote, she found out that her Georgia voter registration had been challenged by another voter and canceled last summer.

Helm, who is homeless and sleeps in her car, lost her ability to vote after a local Republican voter used the state’s election laws to contest the registrations of over 31,000 Forsyth County voters this year. About 600 of his challenges were successful.

In Helm’s case, the county elections board upheld the challenge against her in June because, lacking a residential address, she had registered to vote using the address of a post office in Cumming.

II guess if you're homeless, you can't vote.

The people who have filed voter challenges often rely on change-of-address records or addresses that don’t match residential properties.

But some of their challenges affect eligible voters such as Helm. The man who challenged Helm, Frank Schneider, couldn’t be reached for comment Monday through publicly listed phone numbers.

In another case, this time in Fulton County, Stephanie Friedman said she was shocked to be told that her registration had been challenged when she attempted to cast a ballot last week at the Milton Library.

Friedman, a naturalized U.S. citizen since 2016, was allowed to cast a regular ballot after election officials called the main office and verified her information.

“Nobody was able to tell me what this meant. Why me?” Friedman said. “Imagine somebody who is more vulnerable, who is very busy, who has to be clocking in somewhere.”

The fact that legitimate voters are learning they were challenged when they show up at polling places is problematic, said Kristin Nabers, state director for the voting rights organization All Voting Is Local.

Voters shouldn’t have to overcome unnecessary obstacles from challenges that incorrectly targeted them, Nabers said.

“Allegations of voter fraud and challenges to voter eligibility are not based on any reality. It’s really just a way to effectuate this never-ending stream of lies about our elections,” Nabers said. “It’s meant to intimidate voters. It’s meant to confuse voters.”
It's conservatives who are challenging these voter registrations. It's unlikely that any who were lawfully removed tried to vote, but a lot who were removed had to go to extra trouble to prove that they were legally registered. It doesn't seem right that homeless people can't vote, but how do you have a valid address if you're have to live on the streets? There are a lot of homeless people who have lost jobs or can't afford the rapidly increasing rents. I know of one woman who had to move in with her son because her rent was raised by several hundred dollars per month. Luckily for her, she has a son who invited her to move in with him. If not for that, she would be a 75 year old homeless woman.

Georgians who identify themselves as conservatives or election skeptics have challenged over 65,000 voter registrations across the state this year, based on a belief that voter lists are inaccurate and vulnerable to fraud. County election boards have upheld about 3,200 of the challenges and thrown out the rest.

I'd be willing to bet that those who were upheld were people who moved out of the state and had no intention of voting in Georgia, or who had died. Dead people don't vote, despite what the crazies on the right claim. This is simply an attempt to suppress the vote.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
It's happening. Voters eligibility are being questioned in Georgia by other voters.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/severa...bility-challenges/WOUAH77TLRBD5A5HLLFSJV3S44/

When Barbara Helm tried to vote, she found out that her Georgia voter registration had been challenged by another voter and canceled last summer.
You can do that?!
Helm, who is homeless and sleeps in her car, lost her ability to vote after a local Republican voter used the state’s election laws to contest the registrations of over 31,000 Forsyth County voters this year. About 600 of his challenges were successful.
So, just had a list of 31,000 people on hand? This is terribly disturbing!

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist

You can do that?!
So, just had a list of 31,000 people on hand? This is terribly disturbing!

For years, Georgia has allowed residents to contest the registrations of other voters within the county where they live, but attempts to do so have increased since 2020.

The state’s latest election law, passed along party lines last year by the Republican-controlled General Assembly in the wake of the presidential election, explicitly allowed voters to file an unlimited number of challenges.

I never knew about this law until the 2020 election. I don't think many, if any people ever challenged the registration of other voters prior to the denialists in 2020. It's insane. I'm going to assume that the law was passed in case someone personally knew a person who wasn't eligible to vote but was trying to vote. Now, it's just conservatives going nuts trying to take away the right to vote from other people who they believe are Democrats. Most of these challenges seem to be in Fulton country, the largest and most Democratic leaning county in the state. *sigh*

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
Hey, can't get elected with policies people don't like so cheating is okay.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Hey, can't get elected with policies people don't like so cheating is okay.
That's just it. The Republicans in Georgia, at least the ones who are somewhat intelligent, know that if everyone voted, the state would be blue. So, they do what they can to suppress the vote in the bluest areas. They also lie about the Democratic candidates like I've never seen. They have demonized Stacy Abrams in ways I've never seen before. She was on "The Daily Show" on Monday and she made a few jokes about it. Trevor Noah is in ATL all week. I think the show is trying to get more Georgia voters to vote. Monday night's show was fantastic, imo.

Of course, we can't just blame the ones who are trying to suppress the vote, as we still have a lot of apathetic people who won't vote. There was an article in today's AJC about the low turn out of Black males in Georgia. Stacey Abrams has been doing a lot of campaigning to get them to vote and help them understand why their vote matters. Younger voters are another problem when it comes to voter apathy. As a person who couldn't wait to start voting and who has voted in all federal elections since I was old enough to vote, and in all local elections as I grew older, it's hard to me to understand the attitude that my vote doesn't count or both parties are the same etc. I've heard it all.

Copernicus

Industrial Grade Linguist
Basic Beliefs
Atheist humanist
Charges of election fraud are like farts. The political party that smelt it dealt it.
Republicans allege voter fraud. Trump et al attempted to commit election fraud.

A distinction without a difference, but many, if not most, cases of what you may be calling "voter fraud" in 2020 seem to have involved Trump voters, not Biden voters.

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
AJC published their final poll a few days ago.
Kemp leads Abrams 51%-44%, which means that both confidence intervals are not overlapping given the 3.1% moe.
It also means that unless Hazel overperforms the polls, Kemp is likely to win outright and avoid a runoff.
The Warnock-Walker picture is very different. Walker leads 46%-45%, so they are all over each other's confidence intervals. And unless Oliver underperforms, this race is heading toward a likely December runoff.
There is even a possibility that Republicans win 50 Senate seats on Tuesday, and Georgia again (like in 2018) decides over who controls the Senate.

Swammerdami

Squadron Leader
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
pseudo-deism
There is even a possibility that Republicans win 50 Senate seats on Tuesday, and Georgia again (like in 2018) decides over who controls the Senate.

So you're voting for Herschel Walker. Got it.

Aren't you one of the Ilk who pretends that voter suppression isn't a thing? What do you say about #701 in this thread?

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
It's extremely unlikely that Stacey will beat Kemp. I don't think her campaign was run as effectively as it was in 2018, and of course, it's very difficult to beat an incumbent, assuming that person has half way decent approval ratings. Still, it ain't over till it's over. Unfortunately for the Dems, the Republicans seem to be more motivated to vote in this election.

It horrifies me to think that Walker may be our next Senator. I'm not a huge fan of Warnock but he seems like a decent man and he's worked across the aisle quite frequently. Sadly, the Republicans have done quite a job of demonizing both of these candidates, labeling them as far left, when nothing could be further from the truth. I've never seen such dishonest campaign ads as I've seen this year.

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I see you like writing fiction.

Aren't you one of the Ilk who pretends that voter suppression isn't a thing? What do you say about #701 in this thread?
I do not see how ability to challenge voters' registrations based on things like address affects only Democrats.
Besides, it is important to know where somebody lives to avoid them voting in two places.

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
The Sunshine State: The one with Crocs, not Gators
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist
it is important to know where somebody lives to avoid them voting in two places.
It isn't entirely unimportant, but it's really a non-issue. Attempts to vote more than once are vanishingly rare, and seem to be mainly carried out by tiny numbers of republicans voting by post on behalf of their deceased spouses.

A far bigger issue for American democracy is getting more people to vote once in an election, rather than preventing people from voting twice.

Casting two votes has very little impact on results anyway; Effective fraud requires hundreds or even thousands of ineligible ballots to be added to the count. This is far too hard to do without being caught, even in places with fairly weak precautions.

The only real impact voter fraud has is as a spurious excuse for voter suppression, which is far more effective as a mode of cheating than adding ballots. If you can prevent a hundred of your opponent's supporters from voting, that's as effective a fraud as is casting a hundred duplicate ballots.

And it is a fraud. It leads to the declaration if a winner who wasn't the choice of the people.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
The only real impact voter fraud has is as a spurious excuse for voter suppression, which is far more effective as a mode of cheating than adding ballots.
QFT.
We can tell that truth until we’re blue in the face, and RW morons still believe in magic phantom fraud.

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Derec, any reason that you think that Herschel Walker is not worth voting for?
He's an idiot.
dumbass-dumb.gif

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
I do not see how ability to challenge voters' registrations based on things like address affects only Democrats.
Besides, it is important to know where somebody lives to avoid them voting in two places.
Why are people challenging voter registration in the first place?! I suppose if I had a neighbor bragging about how they had two residences and voted twice with it, that'd be grounds for bringing this up with the county election board. But otherwise... blindly looking at old addresses of people?

The other issue is when this is directed just at Democrat areas. It is effectively intentionally, attempting to disenfranchise democrats. Poor people move a lot. White poor people, black poor people. So they have changing addresses. Probably several of them. Is it the job of the average citizen to scour these lists (particularly in poorer black areas) to free up the rolls? When I moved from one county of Ohio to another county, I never unregistered to vote in my previous location. Why should I? I have better uses of my time. I voted where I was legally allowed to vote, at my current residence.

Luckily, because I'm white, my older registration, which probably got negated a long time ago, wasn't ever scour over... because I didn't live in one of "those neighborhoods". If you don't find that troubling, I can't help you.

Copernicus

Basic Beliefs
Atheist humanist
NBC has called the Nevada race for Masto. If that is the result, then Walker can win and control of the Senate would remain with Democrats. However, Warnock would be gravy, since the power-sharing arrangement with Republicans would no longer be necessary regarding composition of committees.

Swammerdami

Squadron Leader
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
pseudo-deism
NBC has called the Nevada race for Masto. If that is the result, then Walker can win and control of the Senate would remain with Democrats. However, Warnock would be gravy, since the power-sharing arrangement with Republicans would no longer be necessary regarding composition of committees.

And with 51 Senators, one of the DINO's (Manchin or Sinema) could defect and the D's still have a majority.

Fivethirtyeight.,com still shows the House as 211-206. Supposing the 18 undecided races are coin-tosses, this gives the Ds a 12% chance of keeping the House. Don't give up!

Swammerdami

Squadron Leader
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
pseudo-deism
Why are people challenging voter registration in the first place?! I suppose if I had a neighbor bragging about how they had two residences and voted twice with it, that'd be grounds for bringing this up with the county election board. But otherwise... blindly looking at old addresses of people?

The other issue is when this is directed just at Democrat areas. It is effectively intentionally, attempting to disenfranchise democrats. Poor people move a lot. White poor people, black poor people. So they have changing addresses. Probably several of them. Is it the job of the average citizen to scour these lists (particularly in poorer black areas) to free up the rolls? When I moved from one county of Ohio to another county, I never unregistered to vote in my previous location. Why should I? I have better uses of my time. I voted where I was legally allowed to vote, at my current residence.

Luckily, because I'm white, my older registration, which probably got negated a long time ago, wasn't ever scour over... because I didn't live in one of "those neighborhoods". If you don't find that troubling, I can't help you.

Yes. And this is just one of several types of voter suppression measure that do not affect D and R voters equally. Indeed the suppression measures are DELIBERATELY designed for GOP partisan advantage.

This is all so very VERY well known to those with information and an open mind, that comments like Derec's make one wonder: Is he really so ignorant, or just pretending to be?

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I see you like writing fiction.

From what I remember from the last big election, only a few people voted fraudulently and they were Republicans. I don't think it happened in Georgia. Almost nobody tries to vote illegally. It's a crime with the potential of a long prison sentence. Plus, the vast majority of people who vote aren't interested in cheating, so imo, there is no valid reason to challenge voters, other than an attempt to suppress the vote, by making it harder for some people to vote.

The Republicans challenged a lot of voter's right to vote this time around, either because they are nuts or because they were trying to keep people from voting by making them think they may be accused of fraud. They tend to challenge voters who live in heavily blue districts. Some voters aren't very educated and are easily scared. If they don't take voting as seriously as some of us do, and/or they don't have the time to fight the challenge, they will stay home, rather than go through the trouble that some who were challenged did.

Swammerdami

Squadron Leader
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
pseudo-deism
From what I remember from the last big election, only a few people voted fraudulently and they were Republicans. I don't think it happened in Georgia. Almost nobody tries to vote illegally. It's a crime with the potential of a long prison sentence. Plus, the vast majority of people who vote aren't interested in cheating, so imo, there is no valid reason to challenge voters, other than an attempt to suppress the vote, by making it harder for some people to vote.

Yes, the idea that any significant number of people vote 2 or more times is just fatuous farting. It is an irrational waste of time just to vote ONCE! People vote from a sense of responsibility or patriotism, not because the tiny chance of affecting the result is worth the wasted time. This is true even for a minimum-wage worker who spends 3 minutes voting; and some wait in line for hours to vote.

Yet the Ilk would have us believe that some people would risk a prison term to increase the chance of D victory from 47% to 47.000000001%.

Of course my analysis assumes that the voter has at least a tiny bit of intelligence or common sense. All bets are off when it comes to the QOP:

https://www.coloradopolitics.com/courts/appeals-court-upholds-former-gop-chairs-felony-conviction-for-voter-fraud/article_1d7c3e08-f628-11eb-b628-677d2ce0f1b9.html said:
The former Colorado Republican Party chair’s felony forgery conviction will stand, after the Court of Appeals on Thursday rejected his argument that he should have been charged with a lesser offense when he fraudulently submitted his ex-wife’s 2016 mail ballot.

Steven Curtis voted twice in the 2016 general election, filling out his own ballot as well as that of Kelly Curtis, his ex-wife. He forged her signature and mailed her ballot to the Weld County Clerk and Recorder. When Kelly Curtis, who lived in a different state, contacted the clerk’s office for an absentee ballot, she learned that she had apparently voted already. She subsequently confirmed the signature on the ballot received was not hers.

It seems to me, and correct me if I’m wrong, that virtually every case of voter fraud I can remember in my lifetime was committed by Democrats,” Steven Curtis said on a radio show shortly before the election, Colorado Politics reported at the time.

Read what the criminal (and QOP Party Chair) said in his talk show. Then think about the fact that he had ZERO examples of Democrats committing voter fraud, but he himself committed deliberate fraud. (He wasn't just being "helpful" by the way. IIRC he and his wife were separated and he was quite aware that she voted in another state.)

The Ilkists are so completely wrong on this topic it hurts my brain just to imagine how a sapient organism could be so confused. It would improve my impression of Ilkists if they came to their senses and admitted error publicly, but I have a better chance of finding a five-leaf clover in a volcano.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist

I read that a law was passed some time ago to prevent early voting on a Saturday after a holiday. This Saturday would be after the Thanksgiving holiday. If I find the article, I'll post it. It does sound crazy and crazier yet is that it's up to each individual county to decide if they want to allow early voting on the Saturday prior to the Tuesday run off election day. WTF!

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist

I've read numerous conflicting articles about the state banning Saturday voting in a run off. I read one that said that it's a law that early voting can't happen after a holiday. Then I found a different one that said it was up to each county. Another one said that each county could decide whether or not to have Saturday or Sunday early voting in the run off.

Here's one.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/09/politics/georgia-senate-runoff-warnock-walker-explainer/index.html

Georgia’s top elections official, Brad Raffensperger, said counties are already preparing for the December 6 election, and voters can request absentee ballots starting Wednesday through November 28 via the state’s online portal.

Early voting must begin by November 28 in all counties, but Raffensperger said his office anticipates some counties could have early voting on Saturday, November 26 or Sunday, November 27. “We are working with the counties to find out what their plans are on this front,” he said.

Notably, the logistics of the 2022 runoff will be different than in years passed. The 2021 Georgia law that cut the length of runoffs from nine weeks to four means that the deadline for a new voter to register for the runoff election has already passed.

Gabriel Sterling, the chief operating officer for Georgia’s Secretary of State Office, told CNN’s Paula Reid Sunday evening the cutoff is in place because, “Historically, the state constitution of Georgia lays out that the runoff is supposed to be a continuation of the original election.”
I don't think that tweet is really accurate. Both sides seem to put out misinformation. It might just be a misunderstanding. I can understand that since it doesn't seem as if our SOC even knows exactly how this run off will work.

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
From Electoral-Vote.com, there is a Holiday on Friday... err... there was a holiday on Friday... for some treasonous motherfucking General Lee. That holiday still exists, but it doesn't. It is a paid holiday, but it is unnamed, effectively Juneteenth for the Klan.

Luckily the SoS of GA settled this matter by stating that Friday was both a holiday and not a holiday. Sen. Warnock is suing to get voting opened up. It'll go to court. Hopefully they allow voting on Saturday. If they do, I suspect this might be a landslide for the incumbent.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
My county is only going to have early voting from November 28th to December 2nd. There will be no Saturday or Sunday early voting, assuming Warnock doesn't get his way. It's weird that the counties get to choose whether or not to have early voting on a weekend day.

Worse yet, imo, the hours will be from 9AM to 6PM. I'm pretty sure we had longer hours during the midterm early voting. I'm not sure about the hours on Election Day as they weren't in the local paper. Two of the three election officials in my county are Republicans and one is a far right kook, who imo, has already violated his position by openly supporting Republicans. I was told by a poll worker that they are not supposed to discuss the election or who they support. Maybe there are exceptions for the officials, but that doesn't seem fair at all. Then again, since when do Republicans support fairness.

I'm not expecting a landslide for Warnock regardless of the hours open for voting, but keep a happy thought. It's going to be about turn out. Who will be more motivated to vote. Democrats in Georgia have a history of skipping run offs, but they did pretty good in 2020, so who knows at this point.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
https://www.ajc.com/politics/court-...-us-senate-runoff/UYFCSFTU35DS5EPJGWKEXEKPGU/

A judge ruled that Georgia law allows Saturday voting before the runoff for the U.S. Senate, finding that polling places can open even though they follow state holidays on Thanksgiving and the day afterward that years ago honored Robert E. Lee’s birthday.

Fulton County Superior Court Judge Thomas Cox decidedFriday that state law permits counties to offer voting Nov. 26, finding in favor of Democratic U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock’s campaign.

County governments may now choose to offer residents an opportunity to vote on that Saturday in addition to five mandatory weekdays of early voting the following week.
The last time we had a run off, voting was permitted on the Saturday after Christmas. The judge ruled that the holiday law didn't apply to run off elections. The only problem I see is that this will be decided by each county. Since my county election board is made up of 2 Republicans and one Democrat, I doubt we will have Saturday voting. Plus, one of the Republicans is an extreme crackpot, who openly talks about who he supports. I was told that poll workers aren't permitted to discuss who they support. Oh well. Republicans cheat. What else is new?

Last edited:

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I just read that while Warnock is leading in the polls, his biggest lead is with voters under the age of 50. Sadly, they are less enthusiastic about voting in the run off election compared to us old farts. But, all of the old farts I know are going to vote for Warnock and we are very enthusiastic about voting next week. Hopefully, the younger ones will do whatever it takes to vote. My damn county has now reduced early voting to 9AM to 5PM next Monday through Friday. It will be 7 to 7 on Election Day.

Btw, did y'all know that Warnock was responsible for getting Archie Bunker taken off the air in 1973 WTF! It must be true because Walker said so. Warnock was 4 years old in 1973. He must have been an amazing child to have so much sway. /s

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Saturday voting got another thumbs up. Won't be available everywhere, but it'll be where it matters most.

I think Warnock will win in a landslide-ish... ie much more than the general. I don't think right-wingers are going out to vote for a guy they don't really care for, when the Senate is already lost. There is nuance to that, but I think the nuance will be lost on the average GOP voter in GA.

Elixir

Made in America
Basic Beliefs
English is complicated
I don't think right-wingers are going out to vote for a guy they don't really care for, when the Senate is already lost.
You’d think. I’m afraid of the converse - “we already have the Senate, this isn’t going to gain us anything even if we win so screw it …

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
I don't think right-wingers are going out to vote for a guy they don't really care for, when the Senate is already lost.
You’d think. I’m afraid of the converse - “we already have the Senate, this isn’t going to gain us anything even if we win so screw it …
I don' know about that. The Walker campaigners are out handing out propaganda, telling lies about Warnock and appearing very enthusiastic about voting. I certainly hope that Warnock will easily win, but I'm still concerned because the evangelicals, who are a fairly large component in Georgia, seem to think that Walker is a wonderful man who asked Jesus forgiveness for his sins and is now one of them. it doesn't seem to matter to them that he's totally unqualified to be in the Senate.

The lies being told about Warnock are unlike most anything I've ever heard. My neighbor told me there were a bunch on Facebook saying that Warnock was a child molester. I told her that all of us Dems were, according to the nuttiest Q Republicans. WTF!

As usual, it's all going to be about turnout, so I hope those under 50, who are the biggest supporters of Warnock will make sure to vote. Oddly enough, the man who knocked on our door campaigning for Walker looked to be about 30. Mr. Sohy told him there was no way he would ever vote for that idiot.

Copernicus

Basic Beliefs
Atheist humanist

Georgia Supreme Court allows early voting on post-holiday Saturday

This won't help sohy's voting district, since her district has chosen not to allow Saturday voting, but it is interesting that the Republicans argued that there was an "emergency" that needed the court to address because of the harm that it would do to them to make it easier for a lot of folks to cast ballots in the election runoff. It is so obvious that Republicans know they lose elections when more people vote.

crazyfingers

Supermagnon
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Secular Humanism

This won't help sohy's voting district, since her district has chosen not to allow Saturday voting, but it is interesting that the Republicans argued that there was an "emergency" that needed the court to address because of the harm that it would do to them to make it easier for a lot of folks to cast ballots in the election runoff. It is so obvious that Republicans know they lose elections when more people vote.
It's such an obvious voter suppression tactic. It's disgusting.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist

It's such an obvious voter suppression tactic. It's disgusting.
Yes it is. I think the fact that my district has decreased early voting to 9 to 5 is another attempt to suppress the vote of younger working voters too. Unless people work in the evenings or can easily take a couple of hours off to go to the polls to vote, it will be difficult for the younger folks to vote early. I have a friend who plans on voting absentee. She told me this morning that she was notified that her ballot was in the mail. I told her that considering how slow the mail has been lately, she'll be lucky if she gets it by Election Day. She will vote in person if necessary, but this run off election is obviously being run in an attempt to make it hard for people, other than us old folks to vote.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
It was mentioned in another thread that Walker received a homestead exemption on his home in Texas and some thought that might make him ineligible to run for the Senate in Georgia. Sadly, that's not the case. I found the article where I first read about this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/23/us/politics/herschel-walker-taxes-georgia-texas.html

Public tax records first reported by CNN show that this year Mr. Walker will receive a homestead tax exemption of roughly $1,500 for his home in the Dallas area, which he listed as his primary residence. He has received the tax relief for his home since 2012, according to an official in the tax appraisal office of Tarrant County, where Mr. Walker’s home is located.
Under the Constitution, Senate candidates are required to reside in the state they will represent only once they are elected. In Georgia, candidates must meet a handful of stipulations to establish residency in the state before filing their bids for office. Mr. Walker’s tax exemption in Texas suggests that his primary residence remains outside Georgia.
A spokesman for Mr. Walker’s campaign did not respond to a request for comment.
According to the Texas comptroller, Mr. Walker’s use of the tax exemption while running in Georgia is legal. The comptroller’s website states that you may still receive the tax break after moving away from home temporarily, if “you do not establish a principal residence elsewhere, you intend to return to the home, and you are away less than two years.”

I wish that all states would require residency for at least a few years before someone could run for a federal office, but I know that's not going to happen. Such a law would stop people like Oz and Walker from moving to a state just to run for office, when they've not lived in that state recently, or in some cases ever.

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
Walker: I’d love to debate Joy Reid. You know, Senator Warnock, he’s a slick talking, smooth dressing guy, but in that debate I took him to school because he found out a lot of things he didn’t know. And I can do the same thing with Joy Reid any time of the day.

I think people sit on TV and they talk. It’s easy to talk. But I’ve been a man that have worked my whole life. I built companies. I’ve signed the front of a paycheck. They’ve never done any of that. They don’t know how to do it. I do. And I say any day of the week she want to debate she can show up here and I’ll debate her as well on any subject. She can come up with the subject, and let’s go at it.

Reid: "Okay, Herschel, come on. It aint but a short walk. We will have you on the ReidOut any day. No, seriously. We reached out to your team. We will have you on the ReidOut any day. And we can debate. Just tell us when.

But I do want to make one thing clear, Herschel. You can't bring your friends. You see your little friends there? You can't bring them. You have to do this debate on your own. So come on. The doors to the church are open, like the pastor says."
Walker has yet to accept Reid's open offer to debate him. He hasn't mentioned it at all. So he's actually proving his point that "It’s easy to talk" on friendly TV programs. But he's apparently too scared to face Reid for a debate that he insisted he would "love [to do] any day of the week."

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Just when I thought that Walker couldn't get any dumber, I read something he said in an opinion piece in the AJC. I can't give articles from the AJC, so I'll just quote the craziest parts.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/opinio...-voting-spectacle/OODI43GCERAGBFRDCQ6Z5PRVAU/

I'm having trouble copying what I want to report, but here's the point.

As he always does at the end of his remarks, Walker reminded supporters to vote, but called to a staff member off stage, “I don’t think they have early voting, do they?”

Told that there will be voting before the runoff, Walker asked, “They have one day? Two days?”

When the answer of one week came back, a surprised Walker said, “One week! A week? We ought to cut it down from a week. Well, if they give you a week, take that week and do vote.
So, Walker didn't even know that early voting will be for one week in this run off and he thinks it should be cut back. OMG! How dumb and uninformed is this person? He almost makes MTG look smart, horribly offensive but half way intelligent compared to Walker.

I saw an add earlier today where Kemp was supporting Walker. You could tell that his heart wasn't in it. It was so obvious. He didn't say anything positive about Walker. He just said something about how Walker could stop Biden. How low can they go! ( Don't answer that ) :p

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
He almost makes MTG look smart, horribly offensive but half way intelligent compared to Walker.
Plus, she is better looking. :)
I saw an add earlier today where Kemp was supporting Walker. You could tell that his heart wasn't in it. It was so obvious. He didn't say anything positive about Walker. He just said something about how Walker could stop Biden. How low can they go! ( Don't answer that ) :p
That would be his only purpose. Force a 50-50 Senate instead of 51-49.
There is no expectation Walker would actually do any senatorial things in the Senate.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
There were long lines in many of the counties that had early voting yesterday and much to my surprise about 15 counties, including the largest ones in metro Atlanta are having early voting today. I'm still pissed at my county for refusing to allow any weekend voting. It's not a problem for me, but it will be for younger voters who work during the week, especially since the polls are only open from 9 to 5 this week.

Cory Booker was in Georgia to campaign with Warnock. I really like Cory, although according to my Jersey sister, he's not as popular as he once was in Jersey.

Right now I'm watching some really good/funny Warnock campaign adds. It shows people rolling their eyes or looking shocked as they watch Walker ranting about some crazy things. We all know that Walker would rather be a werewolf than a vampire. It's funny but it's also a bit frightening to think that so many people will vote for this brain damaged, clueless man.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Since I still have a lot of "gifted" articles left from WaPo, I'm going to add one that gives a lot of details about how early voting for the run off is going in Georgia. Apparently, most people from both parties are glad to have the option to vote this weekend, including college students who were home for TG and people who work 12 hour shifts during the week. If anyone is interested in learning more details, click on the link below. I think it's only good for two weeks, but the election will be over by then. At least I hope so. :eek3:

https://wapo.st/3Uk80v6

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
There's some news about Walker's homestead exemption in Texas that might be a problem for him, but I'm not optimistic considering how 's running the state these days.

https://www.ajc.com/politics/politi...s-texas-tax-break/JKZMAB3VGNFKRLH7CHC5M4TAPQ/

State investigators are being urged to probe whether Republican Senate hopeful Herschel Walker violated the law by receiving a tax break on his Texas home meant for primary residents of that state even as he runs for federal office in Georgia.

The complaint filed Sunday by Ann Gregory Roberts asked the Attorney General’s office and Georgia Bureau of Investigation to “promptly investigate this apparent violation of Georgia law” ahead of the Dec. 6 runoff against U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock.

Tax records show the former football player is set to receive a homestead exemption worth about $1,500 for a $3 million home in the suburbs of Dallas that Walker listed as his primary residence.

The U.S. Constitution has few restrictions on potential U.S. Senate candidates. It requires only that a senator be 30 years old, a U.S. citizen for nine years and an “inhabitant of that state for which he shall be chosen” when elected.

Georgia law includes more than a dozen stipulations to be considered when establishing residency, including where the candidate takes his or her homestead exemption.

The complaint by Roberts asks authorities to investigate whether Walker violated state law “by registering and voting in Georgia while knowingly maintaining his principal residence in Texas.”

Jimmy Higgins

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
Calvinistic Atheist
Getting an exemption on a $3,000,000 home... worth $1,500?! Are we seriously complaining about that? His property tax is over $60,000. So $1,500 coupon... that is what, 2.5%?

You know what is really the news here... he actually paid his property taxes.

southernhybrid

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Getting an exemption on a $3,000,000 home... worth $1,500?! Are we seriously complaining about that? His property tax is over $60,000. So $1,500 coupon... that is what, 2.5%?

The issue is that he may have voted illegally in Georgia, due to the laws required for one to vote here. Receiving the exemption may make his unqualified to vote in Georgia. It has nothing to do with the size of the exemption. But, as I said earlier, I'm not expecting anything to come of this. Perhaps the state will ask him to pay back the exemption or something like that.

What's freaking me out this morning is that the lines for early voting are far longer than anything I've ever seen since we started having the option of early voting. The parking lot was so full that people were parked along the curbs of the lot. Our senior center is in the same lot as the early voting place. What worried me, is that my district is rather conservative and from what I've read, Walker's supporters are more motivated to vote compared to Warnock's. Of course, I'm probably over reacting since my district is small compared to the Atlanta area. I just didn't expect to see such a huge turnout. I'm going to try and vote tomorrow. Hopefully, the lines won't be as long. I don't know how anyone can vote for such a brain damaged man who has no idea what's going on.

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist

The real news is how cheap he is.

The guy owns a $3M home, pays $60k in taxes on it, he's clearly not short of cash. And yet he's still prepared to risk his reputation for a measly $1.5k.

If he's that money-grubbing, what won't he do once in office for a frankly pathetic bribe?

If we're going to be stuck with politicians who sell out their principles, at least let us have some who set the price at a reasonable level.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

No, the problem isn't the exemption, it's the nature of the exemption: A homestead exemption. In other words, where you live. However, Georgia doesn't require residence to be elected, only to serve.

Loren Pechtel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Atheist

The issue is that he may have voted illegally in Georgia, due to the laws required for one to vote here. Receiving the exemption may make his unqualified to vote in Georgia. It has nothing to do with the size of the exemption. But, as I said earlier, I'm not expecting anything to come of this. Perhaps the state will ask him to pay back the exemption or something like that.
Oh, he voted in Georgia? That should be a ticket to jail.

bilby

Fair dinkum thinkum
Basic Beliefs
Strong Atheist

No, the problem isn't the exemption, it's the nature of the exemption: A homestead exemption. In other words, where you live. However, Georgia doesn't require residence to be elected, only to serve.
They do require residence to vote, though...

Top Bottom