• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Is it racist for a prostitute to reject black men?

I disagree. They can't have the benefits of the legalization of their trade without also dealing with the costs of that. They have a far safer and healthier environment, but they need to start paying taxes and dealing with all the workplace laws that everyone else has to conform to.
You're right. There's nothing unique about prostitution that would call for any kind of nuance of thinking or creative problem solving. It's best to stick with the status quo and make the unique situation fit that. Carry on.

Correct Tom. They want to be a business and get all the benefits of a business? They have to accept the responsibilities of a business, not fall back on special pleading.

I disagree. They can't have the benefits of the legalization of their trade without also dealing with the costs of that. They have a far safer and healthier environment, but they need to start paying taxes and dealing with all the workplace laws that everyone else has to conform to.
You're right. There's nothing unique about prostitution that would call for any kind of nuance of thinking or creative problem solving. It's best to stick with the status quo and make the unique situation fit that. Carry on.
All blacks could be used for sexual harassment for derogatory remarks prior to becoming a customer. This thread is crazy. Haha

Actually, there really isn't. Lots of other professions require a degree of intimacy; bigots are well advised to avoid those professions, because racism is illegal in those circumstances. It really is that simple.

This question gives us an excellent opportunity to practice what we preach, examine how we think, how we challenge what we already believe and think we know. If this were a real problem and we were the ones left to figure it out thoughtfully and humanely, we'd fail women just as society currently does. Not even acknowledging that the situation is unique and requires more than just cut and paste ideology is astounding to see on this freethought forum.

Huh?

We're talking about adults who are making the free choice to become prostitutes. They were fully aware that this choice involved having sex with a large number of people whom they would not choose to have sex with outside of a business environment. They can't do that and then turn around and play the "sex is something personal and intimate" card.

This question gives us an excellent opportunity to practice what we preach, examine how we think, how we challenge what we already believe and think we know. If this were a real problem and we were the ones left to figure it out thoughtfully and humanely, we'd fail women just as society currently does. Not even acknowledging that the situation is unique and requires more than just cut and paste ideology is astounding to see on this freethought forum.
:)

I disagree. They can't have the benefits of the legalization of their trade without also dealing with the costs of that.
Well she could have the benefits yet still choose to discriminate if legally allowed but you feel that limiting discrimination is more important than allowing a woman to choose what she does with her body.

This is a perfect individual vs society debate. I would side with the individual in this case.

I disagree. They can't have the benefits of the legalization of their trade without also dealing with the costs of that.
Well she could have the benefits yet still choose to discriminate if legally allowed but you feel that limiting discrimination is more important than allowing a woman to choose what she does with her body.

This is a perfect individual vs society debate. I would side with the individual in this case.

No, it really isn't.

Prostitution is not an option for people who are also racist, because they will fall foul of anti-discrimination law. The same is true for any job where a person is a service provider.

What is unique about prostitution that changes that?

Most people consider sex different from other work place activities like computing numbers or writing things down.

I think more than anything it points to the ethical problem of forcing people to do business with other people. Although I understand why anti-discrimination laws exist, I can't really think of a good way to justify them ethically. It almost always boils down to an argument that the ends justify the means.

Most people consider sex different from other work place activities like computing numbers or writing things down.

And this makes racism suddenly acceptable how?

If people want to discriminate illegally about who they have sex with, then prostitution is not a good career choice for them. If people want to discriminate illegally about who they do taxes for, then accountancy is not a good career choice for them.

You seem to be missing the point that a person who has chosen prostitution as a career has already decided to have sex with people for money; they then have the right (just as an accountant does) to reject any potential client for any reason - Except the handful of reasons prohibited by law. Racism is one of those reasons.

I still don't see what is unique about prostitution in this respect. For a prostitute, sex is NOT different from other workplace activities - sex IS her workplace activity.

I think more than anything it points to the ethical problem of forcing people to do business with other people. Although I understand why anti-discrimination laws exist, I can't really think of a good way to justify them ethically. It almost always boils down to an argument that the ends justify the means.

It's less of a case of the ends justifying the means as it is saying that if you want to operate in our society, you need to treat all the members of our society with equal respect and give them all equal access to the goods and services which are available in that society.

and it occurs to me that what I just said was an example of an end justifying the means used to get to it. Never mind. Carry on.

Yes it really is.

What about masseuses? Can they hang a "no black customers" sign outside their shop because they don't want to be putting their hands all over some nigger?
It would depend on the licensing of the massage giver. If they were regulated as health care professionals then I feel society's right to non-discriminating healthcare outweighs the individual's right to professional association. For luxury type services i would side with the individual.

sex IS her workplace activity.

I always here about the people who hire prostitutes just to talk to them. I've always wondered if that ever really happens.

If I had more money to burn, I might rent a prostitute for an hour and then sit there chatting about my day. Just to see what her reaction is.

I always here about the people who hire prostitutes just to talk to them. I've always wondered if that ever really happens.

If I had more money to burn, I might rent a prostitute for an hour and then sit there chatting about my day. Just to see what her reaction is.

It is cheaper to buy playboy and just read the articles.

I still don't see what is unique about prostitution in this respect. For a prostitute, sex is NOT different from other workplace activities - sex IS her workplace activity.
Of course sex is different from other workplace activities perhaps you're not empathetic enough to realize this. Do you have any evidence prostitutes view their work like some typical office job?

Yes it really is.

What about masseuses? Can they hang a "no black customers" sign outside their shop because they don't want to be putting their hands all over some nigger?
It would depend on the licensing of the massage giver. If they were regulated as health care professionals then I feel society's right to non-discriminating healthcare outweighs the individual's right to professional association. For luxury type services i would side with the individual.

And I find that to be horrific. If I were a black man and I had a long day at work and felt like stopping in at a place for a massage on the way home and they told me "Sorry, no coloureds", I would feel quite good about suing the place out of business. Attitudes like this have no place in a civilized society and people who want to hold them shouldn't be operating in such a society.

Do you also feel the same way about luxury restaurants, fine hotels and other non-vital businesses?

- - - Updated - - -

It is cheaper to buy playboy and just read the articles.

I'd just want to see her expression and then be able to turn to her as I'm leaving to say "Admit it - this has NEVER happened to you before"

Back
Top Bottom