• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

#IStandWithAhmed (or Inventing While Muslim is a thing?)

I does not help

You said it, not me.
You haven't demonstrated how Barbos quote was a false dilemma. Your assertion that he made one is not supported by simply giving the definition of false dilemma. If you wish to support your assertion give some more specific options that you think Barbos omitted in that quote.

You said it, not me.
You haven't demonstrated how Barbos quote was a false dilemma. Your assertion that he made one is not supported by simply giving the definition of false dilemma. If you wish to support your assertion give some more specific options that you think Barbos omitted in that quote.
Actually it was thebeave and not barbos whom Don was replying to.

To me the false dichotomy seemed to be that there are shades of grey between a complete fraud and an electronics genius. Being a stupid 14-year old kid who's just playing along for example.

Robotics came along after my high school and college years were long over, but I have done a bit of science geek tinkering, like building an antenna out of lumber and hardware cloth so I could listen to the radio waves given off by the planet Jupiter, and helping a friend with a pickle lamp. My husband is the one who has done some case modding, and our kid took a robotics class in middle school.
So, answer is no. Do you understand why people who actually have done these things call that kid an idiot?

Yes.

Two of the people here who call him a fraud, and many media pundits who've taken the same position, are blatant bigots. One proudly waves that flag.

Another one here and several others online are engaged in ad hominems and tu quoques because they are offended that a kid in Texas got more positive attention than they or others in a similar situation did.

Others have no frigging idea what teenagers do, or why, either because they're in denial about their own teenage years or because they don't have recent experience with teenagers.

But a quick review of this thread reveals that the parents who post here are agreed that Ahmed bringing a home made project in to show to his teacher was unremarkable, except perhaps in that it shows the kind of enthusiasm for learning that parents hope to see in their children. And the people who have done case modding all agree they started out on simple projects like clocks and small electronics, just like Ahmed did.

So the reasons are:

#1. anti-muslim bigotry

#2. envy or outrage that life has been unfair

#3. ignorance and/or denial about the behavior of teenagers

It's possible that plain old-fashioned arrogance is behind the attacks some are levelling at Ahmed, too. There's no shortage of that on the authoritarian side.

You can't see the hand of his father and most likely family advisers in all this?

People are accusing Ahmed of being the author of this latest development, not his father or family advisors. They are once again portraying him as a highly intelligent strategist and extremely skilled manipulator of public opinion. It won't last, of course. As soon as it becomes convenient, they'll go right back to calling him stupid, dumb, a retard, etc. After all, the point here isn't to accurately describe Ahmed, it's to distract attention from the issue of how school officials and the police should have handled The Case of the Case Mod Clock.
The biggest idiot in this is Obama who was tripping over himself groveling to this kid, mainly because the brat is a moslem.

So, answer is no. Do you understand why people who actually have done these things call that kid an idiot?

Yes.

Two of the people here who call him a fraud, and many media pundits who've taken the same position, are blatant bigots. One proudly waves that flag.

Another one here and several others online are engaged in ad hominems and tu quoques because they are offended that a kid in Texas got more positive attention than they or others in a similar situation did.

Others have no frigging idea what teenagers do, or why, either because they're in denial about their own teenage years or because they don't have recent experience with teenagers.

But a quick review of this thread reveals that the parents who post here are agreed that Ahmed bringing a home made project in to show to his teacher was unremarkable, except perhaps in that it shows the kind of enthusiasm for learning that parents hope to see in their children. And the people who have done case modding all agree they started out on simple projects like clocks and small electronics, just like Ahmed did.

So the reasons are:

#1. anti-muslim bigotry

It's possible that plain old-fashioned arrogance is behind the attacks some are levelling at Ahmed, too. There's no shortage of that on the authoritarian side.
No it isn't anything of sort. It's because this kid turned up at school with what looked like a crude bomb.

Yes.

So the reasons are:

#1. anti-muslim bigotry

I did not ask you about all these bigots, I asked you about electronics experts.
Does it bother you that they are all appear to be islamophobes and bigots?

Most likely none are bigots or islamphobes. It's just that criticism of any type about the religion of pieces is not tolerated by the progressive left.

I did not ask you about all these bigots, I asked you about electronics experts.

The general narrative is that it wasn't something super simple that Ahmed did. Therefore, people who speak out about the incident who know about electronics will naturally tend to be those who disagree. People who actually agree will not feel a need to speak out.So having several alleged experts who make allegations about it being simple is expected. Since the sample is non-random, it should not yield a conclusion that "they are all appear to be islamophobes and bigots." That is not the only reason either. There's also that it's a small sample and people who speak out may also have other biases. If there were a true random sample, we may not observe this at all. Who knows.

The general narrative is that it wasn't something super simple that Ahmed did. Therefore, people who speak out about the incident who know about electronics will naturally tend to be those who disagree. People who actually agree will not feel a need to speak out.So having several alleged experts who make allegations about it being simple is expected. Since the sample is non-random, it should not yield a conclusion that "they are all appear to be islamophobes and bigots." That is not the only reason either. There's also that it's a small sample and people who speak out may also have other biases. If there were a true random sample, we may not observe this at all. Who knows.
So it does not bother you.
You are good at rationalizing your bullshit. Unfortunately that is just that - bullshit. People who know what are they talking about are unanimous - the kid is an idiot.

You are good at rationalizing your bullshit. Unfortunately that is just that - bullshit. People who know what are they talking about are unanimous - the kid is an idiot.

It does not appear to be a random sample.

Besides all that, even if Ahmed's work borrowed from an existing circuit, it does not absolve the teachers, staff, and police of violating his civil rights.

Besides all that, even if Ahmed's work borrowed from an existing circuit, it does not absolve the teachers, staff, and police of violating his civil rights.
His school mates human rights were violated even more so if this crude device was an attempt to scare the shit out of them.

That's your rationalization of utter lack of electronics expert defending the kid?

His civil rights were not violated and he was not arrested because he "borrowed" something, he was arrested because he brought a hoax bomb to school.

He was asked a few questions at the school, and brought to a juvenile processing center for what seemed like a hoax bomb. That's a civil rights violation of the same caliber as having cops pull you over and make you blow the alcometer because they think you are driving erratically, and then letting you go when finding out you're not drunk.

I think people should stop whining about trivial bullshit like this. There was no harm done, the kid was compensated by the public already, and there is no evidence of him being singled out because of race or religion except in his family's narrative.

Yes.

So the reasons are:

#1. anti-muslim bigotry

I don't remember you or anyone else quoting "electronics experts" in this thread, except for a few tech type bloggers pooh-poohing the design of the pencil case clock. But I clearly remember you and others pretending Ahmed claimed his clock was ingenious, that he took a long time making it, and that most people think it's remarkable. But Ahmed didn't claim it was anything special. In fact he said it was a simple project that only took him a few minutes to construct. And most people understand that it's just a clock in a different case.

The claim that Ahmed thought he invented a clock, or that he thought his pencil case clock was amazing, or that people think it's a wonder of science and he's a genius for making it, and all such bullshit is a product of the Straw Man Construction Corps.

He was asked a few questions at the school, and brought to a juvenile processing center for what seemed like a hoax bomb. That's a civil rights violation of the same caliber as having cops pull you over and make you blow the alcometer because they think you are driving erratically, and then letting you go when finding out you're not drunk.

I think people should stop whining about trivial bullshit like this. There was no harm done, the kid was compensated by the public already, and there is no evidence of him being singled out because of race or religion except in his family's narrative.

No harm done?

He was taken out of school in handcuffs, interrogated by the police, and suspended from school because he brought a clock in a pencil case to show to his teacher. He did something so unremarkable that the involvement of the police is surprising, their arresting him is shocking, and the resulting media firestorm astounding.

There's enough bloodlust being directed at this kid and his family to choke a vampire.

His entire life was upended by adults who should have known better. But no harm done, right?

Meanwhile, the persons whose actions should be scrutinized, namely the school officials and the police officers, have escaped with little more than a cursory "well, maybe you could have handled this better".

I don't remember you or anyone else quoting "electronics experts" in this thread, except for a few tech type bloggers pooh-poohing the design of the pencil case clock.
Yes, these are experts and they are unanimous.
But I clearly remember you and others pretending Ahmed claimed his clock was ingenious, that he took a long time making it, and that most people think it's remarkable
No, I did not do that. I merely said it was just unmodified guts of a factory clock in a case regardless of what anybody says.
. But Ahmed didn't claim it was anything special. In fact he said it was a simple project that only took him a few minutes to construct. And most people understand that it's just a clock in a different case.
That's a lie. Initially Ahmed said he made a clock and he tried to impress his teacher. And most media people were implying that he actually made that clock and literally called him an electronics genius.
The claim that Ahmed thought he invented a clock, or that he thought his pencil case clock was amazing, or that people think it's a wonder of science and he's a genius for making it, and all such bullshit is a product of the Straw Man Construction Corps.
Nope. The fucking Ahmed himself use word "invent" left and right in his interviews.

No harm done?

He was taken out of school in handcuffs, interrogated by the police, and suspended from school because he brought a clock in a pencil case to show to his teacher.
So, where is the harm?
And stop calling it a clock.
He did something so unremarkable that the involvement of the police is surprising, their arresting him is shocking, and the resulting media firestorm astounding.

There's enough bloodlust being directed at this kid and his family to choke a vampire.

His entire life was upended by adults who should have known better. But no harm done, right?
He and his family created all that, not the police. And I don't think Ahmed and his family regret anything.

If there is a harm then it is collective harm to electronics expert and sensible people in general watching this bullshit.

No harm done?

He was taken out of school in handcuffs, interrogated by the police, and suspended from school because he brought a clock in a pencil case to show to his teacher.
So, where is the harm?
And stop calling it a clock.
He did something so unremarkable that the involvement of the police is surprising, their arresting him is shocking, and the resulting media firestorm astounding.

He and his family created all that, not the police. And I don't think Ahmed and his family regret anything.
No, and there's 15 million reasons for not regretting a thing.

Not only does he invent clocks, he builds more complicated stuff, like CPU's...and soldering them. I guess he has his own wafer fab facility in his bedroom!

Back
Top Bottom