• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

January 6 Hearings Live

Firstly, no one has been charged with sedition / insurrection for J6.
What a defense of the attackers' actions. :p
Secondly, the US is kinda unique. Each state has its own sovereign government and police force. If someone tried a coup of the federal government, the states can just say “nah.” Unlike in other countries, the US president / national government does not control state and local police. The federal government does not appoint state governors. I mean, the states attorney generals can literally sue the federal government in court. Coups can only work where there is centralized power. In the US, power is too dispersed.
What a big fat load of horse doo-doo. All the coupmeisters have to do is send in their troops.

That's how George Washington suppressed the Whiskey Rebellion. That's what Andrew Jackson threatened for South Carolina. That's what Abraham Lincoln did to the Confederate states.

As an aside, I'm surprised that right-wingers don't hate GW for suppressing a tax revolt.

A coup is not possible in the US. This is all so silly.
Evidence: {}

Number of coups in US history: zero.
There's always a first time, and I've seen people attack Abraham Lincoln for supposedly waging a war of aggression against the Southern states.

In your coup fantasy, how does it work? You hold congress captive ‘till they vote you in? Then you hope that everyone just goes along with it?
The Trump administration had a plan. Didn't you hear about it?

Number of coups in US history: zero.

?? That's dumb. It's like saying that I won't catch covid because I haven't had it yet

If there’s a coup in DC, why would Sacramento bow? Or Lansing? Or Tallahassee?
How could there be a coup in DC? You just said a coup is not possible.

I should have said coup attempt. Mea culpa. But if the Republicans try a coup to put MTG in the presidency, do you expect Gavin Newsome to say “okay boss”?
What are current Republicans Governors doing about President Biden, considering that so many people believe he is not a legitimate President?

Pence says James Madison, the Bible helped him defy Trump on Jan. 6, certify election results - The Washington Post
Asked Monday night who made him “buck” President Donald Trump’s wishes and certify the results of the 2020 presidential election, former vice president Mike Pence told a group of young conservatives that he looked to the teachings of James Madison and the Bible to help him defy Trump hours after the deadly pro-Trump riot at the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

ence, who hid from a marauding mob during the Jan. 6 invasion of the Capitol as some chanted “Hang Mike Pence,” responded, “James Madison” — the fourth president of the United States, who is known as the “father of the Constitution.”

The former vice president, whose answer was met with applause from the Iowa City audience, denied that he was advised it would hurt his chances of running for president if he followed Trump’s plan.

“Everything you’ve recited relative to me is false,” he said to the audience member.

Pence, referring to the oath he took to uphold the Constitution, also cited a Bible verse he said he leaned on: “Psalm 15 says he who keeps his oath even when it hurts.”
What will the Trumpies say about *that*? Will they huff and puff about "quoting out of context"?

Lindsey Graham Allegedly Told Police to Shoot Jan. 6 Rioters: 'You've Got Guns. Use Them'
The second part, titled "Bloodshed," goes into detail about how then Vice President Mike Pence and members of Congress were evacuated from the Senate chamber after rioters breached the building.

The Senate and House leaders were evacuated by Capitol Police and transported to an undisclosed location, according to The Post, while many lawmakers remained in their chambers for a few minutes but were then taken to safety in the Hart Senate Office Building.

According to The Post, Graham, a Republican from South Carolina, was furious that senators were forced to flee their own chamber. He yelled at the sergeant-at-arms and urged him to shoot rioters in the mob, the newspaper reported, citing a Republican senator with knowledge of the exchange.

"What are you doing? Take back the Senate! You've got guns. Use them," Graham reportedly shouted. He continued: "We give you guns for a reason. Use them."
Which makes his later turnaround all the more remarkable.

After the attacks, the Congresspeople returned to certifying Joe Biden's win. LG refused to join those fellow Republicans who objected to that certification.
"Trump and I, we've had a hell of a journey," he said. "I hate it to end this way. Oh, my god, I hate it. From my point of view, he's been a consequential president. But today... all I can say is count me out, enough is enough."
But when Democrats tried to impeach him, he refused to go along with it, as did nearly every other Republican in Congress.

He more recently said that Trump was the most popular Republican in the country.
"To try to erase Donald Trump from the Republican party is insane. And the people who try to erase him are going to wind up getting erased," Graham said in an interview with Fox News' Sean Hannity.

"It's impossible for this party to move forward without President Trump being its leader, because the people who are conservatives have chosen him as their leader."

Tucker Carlson Rages at Lindsey Graham for Urging Cops to Shoot Capitol Rioters
Carlson was extremely upset at the senator for reportedly telling cops to shoot violent rioters on Jan. 6, asking if it was the “conservative position” to shoot trespassers.

That did not sit well with Carlson, who has repeatedly downplayed the Trump-incited riot and recently filmed a multi-part docuseries titled Patriot Purge that suggests the Capitol insurrection was a “false flag” operation orchestrated by the federal government.

After taking another swipe at Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) for blasting his documentary as spreading the “same type of lies” that provoked Jan. 6—calling the Republican lawmaker a “left-wing wacko”—Carlson questioned Graham’s “conservative” bonafides and his position on the riot.

Once more making the absurd claim that The Washington Post’s 100,000-word Jan. 6 feature was a “rebuttal” to his Fox Nation special, Carlson launched into a tirade against Graham, who’s become one of his favorite targets.

“On Jan. 6, Lindsey Graham was running around the Capitol ordering the Capitol Police to murder the protesters. ‘You’ve got guns, use them! We give you guns for a reason,’ shrieked Lindsey Graham,” the Fox host exclaimed. “Shoot American citizens for the crime of trespassing? Really? This is the conservative position, unarmed protesters?”

He added: “They shouldn’t have been there, we’ve never defended that, and never would. But kill them? What the hell is wrong with you, Lindsey Graham? How long before you’re ordering drone attacks on people whose politics you don’t like? What a revealing moment this is.”

“They shouldn’t have been there, we’ve never defended that, and never would. But kill them? What the hell is wrong with you, Lindsey Graham? How long before you’re ordering drone attacks on people whose politics you don’t like? What a revealing moment this is.”
Odd that the states that embrace the. "Castle Doctrine" skew distinctly red. But besides that, Since when have conservatives advocated shooting trespassers?" [insert picture of red hat wearing "border militia" posing with ridiculously overpowered firearms.]

Carlson was extremely upset at the senator for reportedly telling cops to shoot violent rioters on Jan. 6, asking if it was the “conservative position” to shoot trespassers.

That did not sit well with Carlson, who has repeatedly downplayed the Trump-incited riot and recently filmed a multi-part docuseries titled Patriot Purge that suggests the Capitol insurrection was a “false flag” operation orchestrated by the federal government.

After taking another swipe at Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY) for blasting his documentary as spreading the “same type of lies” that provoked Jan. 6—calling the Republican lawmaker a “left-wing wacko”—Carlson questioned Graham’s “conservative” bonafides and his position on the riot.

Once more making the absurd claim that The Washington Post’s 100,000-word Jan. 6 feature was a “rebuttal” to his Fox Nation special, Carlson launched into a tirade against Graham, who’s become one of his favorite targets.

“On Jan. 6, Lindsey Graham was running around the Capitol ordering the Capitol Police to murder the protesters. ‘You’ve got guns, use them! We give you guns for a reason,’ shrieked Lindsey Graham,” the Fox host exclaimed. “Shoot American citizens for the crime of trespassing? Really? This is the conservative position, unarmed protesters?”

He added: “They shouldn’t have been there, we’ve never defended that, and never would. But kill them? What the hell is wrong with you, Lindsey Graham? How long before you’re ordering drone attacks on people whose politics you don’t like? What a revealing moment this is.”
Tucker Carlson's a pussy and a hypocrite. If he was there, he'd have been cowering in a corner yelling "shoot those people" too.

What gets me is how the right leadership wants to start this violent fight but will never join in. They'll let the little people face the guns and the prosecutions from their easy chairs and television studios. Remember Trump said "and I'll be there with you." He wasn't. And the chuds fall for it.

Western Pennsylvanians bowed to George Washington. South Carolinians bowed to Andrew Jackson. The Southern states bowed to Abraham Lincoln.
Those were regional rebellions, not coups.
Which totally misses the point. Trausti seems to be saying that if there was a coup in the Federal Government, the states could cause it to collapse by rejecting its legitimacy. I was pointing out cases where states were forcibly defeated by the Federal Government.

Western Pennsylvanians bowed to George Washington. South Carolinians bowed to Andrew Jackson. The Southern states bowed to Abraham Lincoln.
Those were regional rebellions, not coups.
Which totally misses the point. Trausti seems to be saying that if there was a coup in the Federal Government, the states could cause it to collapse by rejecting its legitimacy. I was pointing out cases where states were forcibly defeated by the Federal Government.
The majority of Republicans already think there was a coup, in which the democrats stole the election through vote rigging. But I haven’t yet seen any Republican governors formally rejecting his legitimacy. When will this happen?

Trump campaign payments for ‘command centers’ at D.C. hotels could undermine executive privilege claim in Jan. 6 investigation

It was a month after the 2020 presidential election, and Bernard Kerik was starting to panic. The former New York City police chief and his friend Rudolph W. Giuliani were shelling out thousands of dollars for hotel rooms and travel in their effort to find evidence of voting fraud and persuade state legislators to overturn Joe Biden’s victory.

Yet President Donald Trump’s campaign had turned down Kerik’s request for a campaign credit card. The bills were piling up. “How do I know I’m gonna get my money back?” Kerik remembers thinking to himself at the time, according to a recent interview he did with The Washington Post.
The bills went unpaid until after Fox News personality Jeanine Pirro went to bat on their behalf, according to a Republican official, who like some others interviewed for this article spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations. Soon after, the campaign cut Kerik a check — with Trump’s approval, according to a former senior campaign official.
That move, in mid-December, smoothed the way for what would eventually be more than $225,000 in campaign payments to firms owned by Kerik and Giuliani — including more than $50,000 for rooms and suites at the posh Willard hotel in Washington that served as a “command center” for efforts to deny Biden the presidency in the days leading up to the attack on the Capitol on Jan. 6.

The fact that campaign funds were used to finance efforts to subvert Biden’s victory could complicate the former president’s ongoing attempt to use claims of executive privilege to shield documents and testimony from the congressional committee investigating Jan. 6, according to some legal scholars.

A coup does not need to be violent to be a coup. You don’t need the military. You need the Supreme Court to give it the imprimatur of legality. Here’s what could happen in 2024. Republicans take over several key battle ground states like Georgia and Arizona. maybe others. Their electorate votes for Biden. Trump screams fraud again. This time the Republican legislators and governors, fearing for their political lives, fail in line. They refuse to certify the results. They either send an alternate group of electors or none at all and try to throw it into the house where Republicans have enough votes to certify Donald Trump. The Court approves. That is as much a Coup as anything. It is not silly. It is very much possible, even likely.

January 6 committee issues 6 subpoenas to top Trump campaign associates - CNNPolitics
  • Trump 2020 campaign manager William Stepien
  • Former senior adviser to the campaign Jason Miller
  • John Eastman, an attorney who helped craft Trump's argument that the election was stolen
  • Michael Flynn, who was involved in meeting about how the Trump campaign wanted to promote the lie that the election was stolen
  • Angela McCallum, national executive assistant to former President Trump's 2020 reelection campaign
  • Bernard Kerik, who participated in a meeting at the Willard Hotel centered around overturing election results.
Good choice.

What will be even better is if they actually enforce perjury penalties in those hearings.

Back
Top Bottom