• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

January 6 Hearings Live

They are trying to simply demoralize our democracy. Unless he is claiming Trump fraudulently won Florida.

Hmm... let me start over.

Roger Stone implies President Trump stole Florida in 2020 election.
My God... these people are such losers that they can't even recognize when they've won a state...
You aren't getting the point. They aren't complaining about the election results, they are trying to stigmatize democratic elections in general. They are implying the results can't be trusted, any of the results... because of "the fraud". It is a variation of the God in the Gaps fallacy, which happily seems to rhyme with Fraud in the Gaps.

They are trying to simply demoralize our democracy. Unless he is claiming Trump fraudulently won Florida.

My God... these people are such losers that they can't even recognize when they've won a state...
You aren't getting the point. They aren't complaining about the election results, they are trying to stigmatize democratic elections in general. They are implying the results can't be trusted, any of the results... because of "the fraud". It is a variation of the God in the Gaps fallacy, which happily seems to rhyme with Fraud in the Gaps.
I see now -- it's not just the Republicans vs. the Democrats -- it's the Republicans vs. democracy itself.

You're assuming only one election. The loon is claiming a million fake voters. If they were in blue areas that could have meant stolen house seats. (Of course, given their track record it probably means a million fake Republican ballots which would mean he stole Florida.)

I see now -- it's not just the Republicans vs. the Democrats -- it's the Republicans vs. democracy itself.
It's not even the Republicans. It's the TeaParty, led by Trump and his supporters, that are the threat to democracy. TeaPartiers are the ones who don't believe in the Electoral College or The Constitution or other basic U.S. institutions.
Tom

It's not even the Republicans. It's the TeaParty, led by Trump and his supporters, that are the threat to democracy. TeaPartiers are the ones who don't believe in the Electoral College or The Constitution or other basic U.S. institutions.
Tom
That distinction will matter... if a coherent resistance movement ever develops within the GOP. As long as congressional Republicans are blindly rubber-stamping whatever Trump wants to do, none of us can afford to treat them as different entities. Not politically at least. In terms of people you actually meet on the street, I think the Tea Party are actually a minority. But they are a minority that sits troublingly close to the reins of power. If they do succeed in coup, it won't matter that most of the country never explicitly endorsed them.

A coup is not possible in the US. This is all so silly.
I cannot imagine why you believe that.

TeaPartiers tried to stage a coup on January 6th. They were led by Trump. They almost succeeded.

They're still at it, maybe next time they'll succeed.
Tom

I cannot imagine why you believe that.

TeaPartiers tried to stage a coup on January 6th. They were led by Trump. They almost succeeded.

They're still at it, maybe next time they'll succeed.
Tom

Firstly, no one has been charged with sedition / insurrection for J6.

Secondly, the US is kinda unique. Each state has its own sovereign government and police force. If someone tried a coup of the federal government, the states can just say “nah.” Unlike in other countries, the US president / national government does not control state and local police. The federal government does not appoint state governors. I mean, the states attorney generals can literally sue the federal government in court. Coups can only work where there is centralized power. In the US, power is too dispersed.

What a defense of the attackers' actions. :p
Secondly, the US is kinda unique. Each state has its own sovereign government and police force. If someone tried a coup of the federal government, the states can just say “nah.” Unlike in other countries, the US president / national government does not control state and local police. The federal government does not appoint state governors. I mean, the states attorney generals can literally sue the federal government in court. Coups can only work where there is centralized power. In the US, power is too dispersed.
What a big fat load of horse doo-doo. All the coupmeisters have to do is send in their troops.

That's how George Washington suppressed the Whiskey Rebellion. That's what Andrew Jackson threatened for South Carolina. That's what Abraham Lincoln did to the Confederate states.

As an aside, I'm surprised that right-wingers don't hate GW for suppressing a tax revolt.

Evidence: {}

Number of coups in US history: zero.
There's always a first time, and I've seen people attack Abraham Lincoln for supposedly waging a war of aggression against the Southern states.

If there’s a coup in DC, why would Sacramento bow? Or Lansing? Or Tallahassee?
Western Pennsylvanians bowed to George Washington. South Carolinians bowed to Andrew Jackson. The Southern states bowed to Abraham Lincoln.

?? That's dumb. It's like saying that I won't catch covid because I haven't had it yet

If there’s a coup in DC, why would Sacramento bow? Or Lansing? Or Tallahassee?
How could there be a coup in DC? You just said a coup is not possible.

I should have said coup attempt. Mea culpa. But if the Republicans try a coup to put MTG in the presidency, do you expect Gavin Newsome to say “okay boss”?

What a defense of the attackers' actions. :p
What a big fat load of horse doo-doo. All the coupmeisters have to do is send in their troops.

That's how George Washington suppressed the Whiskey Rebellion. That's what Andrew Jackson threatened for South Carolina. That's what Abraham Lincoln did to the Confederate states.

As an aside, I'm surprised that right-wingers don't hate GW for suppressing a tax revolt.

Evidence: {}

There's always a first time, and I've seen people attack Abraham Lincoln for supposedly waging a war of aggression against the Southern states.

In your coup fantasy, how does it work? You hold congress captive ‘till they vote you in? Then you hope that everyone just goes along with it?

Back
Top Bottom