• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

January 6 Hearings Live

Senator Ted Cruz on Twitter: "The attack at the Capitol was a despicable act of terrorism and a shocking assault on our democratic system. We must come together and put this anger and division behind us. We must, and I am confident we will, have a peaceful and orderly transition of power. My full statement: https://t.co/84HHQdpMZd" / Twitter

Me: Sure, sure (sarcasm)

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Sen. Cruz, you must accept responsibility for how your craven, self-serving actions contributed to the deaths of four people yesterday. And how you fundraised off this riot.

Both you and Senator Hawley must resign. If you do not, the Senate should move for your expulsion." / Twitter

Josh Dawsey on Twitter: "Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao is resigning, per two officials. Cites yesterday’s events as reason in email to DOT colleagues, per draft. First Cabinet secretary to resign. Chao is married to Mitch McConnell. More TK." / Twitter
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "At this late a stage, resignations help little beyond serving as late attempts at self-preservation.

If Sec. Chao objects to yesterday’s events this deeply, she should be working the Cabinet to invoke the 25th amendment - not abdicating the seat that allows her to do so." / Twitter

Ted Cruz on Twitter: "1/2 @AOC You are a liar. ..." / Twitter

(edited for continuity)

Rep. Jim McGovern on Twitter: "Is this a joke? You do not stand with the people. If you stood with the people, you would tell them the truth instead of lying to them about election fraud.

You should be ashamed of yourself." / Twitter

They will never learn. Don't @ at aoc.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1347322698444242945?s=20[/TWEET]

Where DID Cruz go when the invasion started? Did he hole up, or join his buddies?

It makes me laugh at the absurdity of it, but at this point John `Bomb Everybody' Bolton seems to be one of the sanest Republioturds in Washington, D.C., and has a clearer view of the next two weeks than many of the humans.:
[YOUTUBE]v=l9-JdhJF1JI[/YOUTUBE]

Great interview but crazy days when John Bolton makes the most sense.

I don't know if he is right or wrong about two competing presidents under the 25th, but it's an upside down world when I find myself sympathizing with Bolton's concerns. The question is not whether Trump is a clear and present danger. He is. It's how to reduce the danger.

how to reduce the danger

Cut all power to the White House.
All phone lines.
Take either all vehicles or keys to all vehicles, including helicopters. No way in or out except by walking pretty far.
Cordon the grounds so no one can get close enough to read if he holds a sign up to the window that says, "Nuke Iran!" or "Send golf!"

Leave one heliograph and a Denny's kid's placemat with yyhd Morse code on it, with a boy scout on the street, tweeting any efforts.might be good for a laugh.
"12:23. His lightmanship is atrocious. He's either trying to order Big Macs or 82nd Airborne to invade Des Moines."

Poll Shows Nearly Half of GOP Voters—Lied to by Right-Wing Media—Approve of US Capitol Ransacking

"Among Republican voters, 45% approve of the storming of Capitol, 30% think the perpetrators are 'patriots', 52% think Biden is at least partly to blame for it, and 85% think it would be inappropriate to remove Trump from office after this."

Not surprising given that more than half of Republicans believe that massive fraud stole the election from Trump. It's hard to name a group of people less in touch with reality than Republicans at this time.

how to reduce the danger

Cut all power to the White House.
All phone lines.
Take either all vehicles or keys to all vehicles, including helicopters. No way in or out except by walking pretty far.
Cordon the grounds so no one can get close enough to read if he holds a sign up to the window that says, "Nuke Iran!" or "Send golf!"

Leave one heliograph and a Denny's kid's placemat with yyhd Morse code on it, with a boy scout on the street, tweeting any efforts.might be good for a laugh.
"12:23. His lightmanship is atrocious. He's either trying to order Big Macs or 82nd Airborne to invade Des Moines."

Way back around 2004 I was an Admin on the old IIDB version of this board. There was a setting called "Coventry". We tried it on persistent returning trolls. The person put into Coventry could post to their hearts content but only they could see their posts. I wonder if Twitter has such a setting.

Some among America's military allies believe Trump deliberately attempted a coup and may have had help from federal law-enforcement officials

Multiple European security officials told Insider that President Donald Trump appeared to have tacit support among US federal agencies responsible for securing the Capitol complex in Wednesday's coup attempt.

Insider is reporting this information because it illustrates the serious repercussions of Wednesday's events: Even if they are mistaken, some among America's international military allies are now willing to give credence to the idea that Trump deliberately tried to violently overturn an election and had help from some federal law-enforcement agents.

"We train alongside the US federal law enforcement to handle these very matters, and it's obvious that large parts of any successful plan were just ignored," one source told us.

Insider spoke with three officials on Thursday morning: a French police official responsible for public security in a key section of central Paris, and two intelligence officials from NATO countries who directly work in counterterrorism and counterintelligence operations involving the US, terrorism, and Russia.

They said the circumstantial evidence available pointed to what would be openly called a coup attempt in any other nation. None were willing to speak on the record because of the dire nature of the subject.

Some among America's military allies believe Trump deliberately attempted a coup and may have had help from federal law-enforcement officials

Multiple European security officials told Insider that President Donald Trump appeared to have tacit support among US federal agencies responsible for securing the Capitol complex in Wednesday's coup attempt.

Insider is reporting this information because it illustrates the serious repercussions of Wednesday's events: Even if they are mistaken, some among America's international military allies are now willing to give credence to the idea that Trump deliberately tried to violently overturn an election and had help from some federal law-enforcement agents.

"We train alongside the US federal law enforcement to handle these very matters, and it's obvious that large parts of any successful plan were just ignored," one source told us.

Insider spoke with three officials on Thursday morning: a French police official responsible for public security in a key section of central Paris, and two intelligence officials from NATO countries who directly work in counterterrorism and counterintelligence operations involving the US, terrorism, and Russia.

They said the circumstantial evidence available pointed to what would be openly called a coup attempt in any other nation. None were willing to speak on the record because of the dire nature of the subject.

Very interesting. So our European friends see this as a failed coup attempt. I agree. The only good thing is that Trump and his stooges were too incompetent to pull it off.

Ilhan Omar on Twitter: "We're up to nearly 60 members. Keep the calls coming - (202) 224-3121 (link)" / Twitter
Co-leads:
Reps. David Cicilline, Ted Lieu, Al Green, Hank Johnson, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida Tlaib, Vicente Gonzalez, Jamaal Bowman, Mondaire Jones, Veronica Escobar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and Cori Bush

Co-sponsors:
Reps. Donald M. Payne, Jr., Jared Huffman, Marie Newman, Bobby Rush, Jan Schakowsky, Frederica Wilson, Adriano Espaillat, Eric Swalwell, Jahana Hayes, Nydia M. Velázquez, Yvette Clarke, Mark DeSaulnier, Ritchie Torres, Steven Horsford, Bonnie Watson Coleman, Frederica Wilson, Jimmy Gomez, Gerry Connelly, Ann Kirkpatrick, Mark Takano, Anna Eshoo, Earl Blumenauer, Val Demings, Ritchie Torres, Kai Kahele, Steve Cohen, Grace F. Napolitano, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Pramila Jayapal, Brian Higgins, Kathy Castor, Jim Cooper, Nanette Barragan, Paul Tonko, Mark Pocan, Chellie Pingree, Dan Kildee, Danny K Davis, Stephen Lynch, Grace Meng, Madeleine Dean, Brenda Lawrence, Adam Smith, John Yarmuth, Lisa Blunt Rochester, David Price, Barbara Lee
Congresswoman Tlaib Statement on Wednesday’s Attack on Capitol and Attempted Coup | Representative Rashida Tlaib - she was sick, so she stayed home

Elaina Plott on Twitter: "A White House official tells me that people in the West Wing today are "depressed" and that those without jobs already lined up are concerned that they're unemployable." / Twitter
then
Lindsay Beyerstein on Twitter: "LOL, sure." / Twitter

It's hard for me to feel sorry for Trump staffers with this problem.

Rachael Levy on Twitter: "NEW:

FBI, Homeland Security Intelligence Unit Didn’t Issue a Risk Assessment for Pro-Trump Protests

At the DHS unit, called Intelligence and Analysis, management didn’t view the demonstrations as posing a significant threat, people familiar say (link)" / Twitter

That's major negligence. What was going on?

Krystal Ball on Twitter: "Insane" / Twitter

Amanda Boston, Ph.D. on Twitter: "Today was truly a microcosm of U.S. history: Black and allied movements showing the promise of a fully realized democracy, followed up by extremely predictable white backlash, and ending with the ruling elites feigning innocence." / Twitter

NAE on Twitter: "The NAE denounces yesterday's violence at the U.S. Capitol as well as the nation’s longstanding vices that led to this chaos. Read our full statement —> (link)" / Twitter
NAE Denounces Insurrection at the U.S. Capitol - National Association of Evangelicals

Then
Hemant Mehta on Twitter: "The National Association of Evangelicals recognizes “a disturbing conflation of Christianity and a nationalist ideology”… but instead of doing anything about it, they’re asking people to put their hands together and not eat for a little bit." / Twitter

Ilhan Omar on Twitter: ".@Norma4Congress, @standwithraul, @Castro4Congress, @NikemaWilliams, @JakeAuch, @RepMarcyKaptur @ChuyforCongress, @AnthonyBrownMD4, @JackieSpeier have also joined. Thank you for calling your members 🙏🏾" / Twitter - to her impeachment resolution

One of the Capitol cops died.
Vaughn Sterling on Twitter: "A US Capitol Police officer has died from events stemming from yesterday’s riots at the Capitol, three sources confirm to CNN. https://t.co/S0XJMwEn5Q" / Twitter
then
Chris Hayes on Twitter: "How have there still been no official briefings on this! My God." / Twitter

Seems like there are two impeachment-resolution efforts:
David Cicilline on Twitter: "NEW: I am circulating Articles of Impeachment that @RepTedLieu, @RepRaskin and I have prepared to remove the President from office following yesterday's attack on the U.S. Capitol. (image link)" / Twitter
then
Kai Kahele on Twitter: "I have just informed Congressman Ciciline that I will sign the Articles of Impeachment as an original co-sponsor. It is time to remove the President from office." / Twitter

On the other hand, I just heard that the Georgia DOJ wants to consider if anything that Trump said on the call was enough to charge him with a state crime.

Just a few more days.
Just a few more days.

Tom

Countdown clock

We did a dog treat advent calendar this christmas and it was such a big hit we decided to do another one for Trump's last day. Hopefully, we will get to move the final day up though.

An attempt at understanding Trump-supporter demographics.
Proletarian Feminist on Twitter: "1. I'm hearing a lot of people painting Trump supporters who stormed the capitol yesterday as blue-collar and working-class. ..." / Twitter
1. I'm hearing a lot of people painting Trump supporters who stormed the capitol yesterday as blue-collar and working-class. I'm not sure I believe that. While we don't have demographic information for every participant we do have indicators that can help paint a fuller picture.

2. The woman that got shot? She was a CEO and her husband is the company’s Chief Financial Officer. Definitely not working-class in any use of the term.

3. That guy dressed in a fur coat? Here he is with Rudy Guiliani and Bernard Kerik. Far from blue-collar, he works as a paid actor and is a self-identified "author" and "shamanic practitioner."

4. Here's one of them saying “we are the business owners!” Whether this is true of the majority is unclear but what is clear is that this is how they see themselves (petty bourgeoisie). "When someone shows you who they are, believe them" and all that.

5. Now let's talk about Trump's base in general. The media pushes the narrative that the "white working-class" delivered his victory. But this isn't really true. Turns out, when you account for local income measures that "support for Trump was strongest among the locally rich"

6. Far from poor and working-class, 1 in 5 of his supporters makes over 100k a year and nearly 60% of his supporters were in the upper-income bracket. Not necessarily the poor and toiling masses.

7. "But wait," you say, "the Marxist analysis of class defines class in relation to production!" Correct! But do you think that the media narratives about Trump's base being majority working-class are really using the Marxist definition of class? Absolutely not!

8. Remember those Trump supporters who pointed guns at protesters? Were they working class because they were attorneys and don't own the means of production? Or are they petty bourgeoisie? Or remember the boat rally? What working-class person owns a yacht?

9. Believe what you want, but if you've never organized workers I'm not sure you're the best person to (1) identify workers, (2) understand the difficulty entailed in organizing, or (3) come up with an organizing strategy determining which segments of workers to focus our energy.

10. If you can't even organize the most advanced segments of the working-class, why do you think you can organize the most backwards elements of the petty bourgeoisie (or the "working class")?

11. Remember that the majority of the working-class in this country doesn't even vote. Around half of registered voters participate in elections, and that doesn't even account for those proletarians who cannot vote or choose not to even register. The majority doesn't support him.

12. I'm happy to be proved wrong, but as someone that's been in the field organizing workers for 7 years and travelling the country to talk with workers everywhere from Michigan to California, I'm not sure I buy into this narrative. Call me sceptical.

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/proud-boys-capitol/

I thought that the coup ended yesterday in failure. But sadly I’m afraid that this isn’t the end of things. It will get worse. The coup will continue, just after Biden is inaugurated. As they did after Charlottesville, things may quiet down a bit. But they will come roaring back and it will be worse than before. I was wrong; this isn’t the 1933 Reichstag fire. This is the 1923 beer hall putsch. It failed, but it’s only a preview of coming attractions. I genuinely fear for the future for the first time ever. We have to crack down hard here. There must be a full investigation into what happened and full prosecution of all involved, especially Trump. This was no accidental thing that just got out of hand. Trump did this knowing precisely what was going to happen. And he probably did have help.

And I think it’s time Godwin’s law be put to bed here. Trump really, really is a Nazi. Doubt me? He said he loved people who yesterday were wearing a shirt that said 6MWE. 6 million wasn’t enough. His criticism of the holocaust is that it didn’t go far enough. Adolf would be proud.

79218FB7-C7E9-4169-8A6B-F481F5B3787E.jpeg

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/proud-boys-capitol/

I thought that the coup ended yesterday in failure. But sadly I’m afraid that this isn’t the end of things. It will get worse. The coup will continue, just after Biden is inaugurated. As they did after Charlottesville, things may quiet down a bit. But they will come roaring back and it will be worse than before. I was wrong; this isn’t the 1933 Reichstag fire. This is the 1923 beer hall putsch. It failed, but it’s only a preview of coming attractions. I genuinely fear for the future for the first time ever. We have to crack down hard here. There must be a full investigation into what happened and full prosecution of all involved, especially Trump. This was no accidental thing that just got out of hand. Trump did this knowing precisely what was going to happen. And he probably did have help.

And I think it’s time Godwin’s law be put to bed here. Trump really, really is a Nazi. Doubt me? He said he loved people who yesterday were wearing a shirt that said 6MWE. 6 million wasn’t enough. His criticism of the holocaust is that it didn’t go far enough. Adolf would be proud.

View attachment 31196
And the thing at the bottom of the design is a fascio, a symbol of strength in Ancient Rome, which was referenced when naming the first actual fascist parties.

Back
Top Bottom