• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

January 6 Hearings Live

So the same republicans who insist that we need stricter and stricter voter ID laws won't comply with a request to not bring a gun into congress?

I eagerly await the shouts of hypocrisy from our usual right wing echo chamber (since hypocrisy seems to be what they hate the most)!

So the same republicans who insist that we need stricter and stricter voter ID laws won't comply with a request to not bring a gun into congress?

I eagerly await the shouts of hypocrisy from our usual right wing echo chamber (since hypocrisy seems to be what they hate the most)!
Yeah, the pro-life anti-abortion Representatives that refuse to wear a mask at work and demonstrate they don't have a weapon on them.

I think it was less than 1. Let off for good behavior.

Ah yes from Wikipedia:

Hitler fled to the home of Ernst Hanfstaengl and by some accounts contemplated suicide.[118] He was depressed but calm when arrested on 11 November 1923 for high treason.[119] His trial before the special People's Court in Munich began in February 1924,[120] and Alfred Rosenberg became temporary leader of the Nazi Party. On 1 April, Hitler was sentenced to five years' imprisonment at Landsberg Prison.[121] There, he received friendly treatment from the guards, and was allowed mail from supporters and regular visits by party comrades. Pardoned by the Bavarian Supreme Court, he was released from jail on 20 December 1924, against the state prosecutor's objections.[122] Including time on remand, Hitler served just over one year in prison

Yes, you are correct. I was just being lazy. I checked the digital newspaper archives and there are many articles about it around that date. Ah, right...he was arrested in Nov 1923 and but stood trial in Feb....so his total time in jail was a year and a month, but the time from guilty verdict to release was less than a year. Makes sense now.

[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Get in girls. We're going hunting. <a href="https://t.co/qIjmiXNoSV">pic.twitter.com/qIjmiXNoSV</a></p>— Dr. Lisa Corrigan (@DrLisaCorrigan) <a href="https://twitter.com/DrLisaCorrigan/status/1349542291636150281?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 14, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]..

[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Get in girls. We're going hunting. <a href="https://t.co/qIjmiXNoSV">pic.twitter.com/qIjmiXNoSV</a></p>— Dr. Lisa Corrigan (@DrLisaCorrigan) <a href="https://twitter.com/DrLisaCorrigan/status/1349542291636150281?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 14, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]..

Dem bitches.

I swear to god, I don't trust any of them.
Tom

Speaking of Lauren Boebert...

Congressional candidate Lauren Boebert has a history of minor arrests, court no-shows
Rifle Republican has been arrested and summonsed four times in the past decade

Congressional candidate Lauren Boebert — who often espouses a pro-police, law-and-order message on the campaign trail — has been arrested and summonsed at least four times over the past decade, records show.

While the three arrests and one court-ordered summons were for petty crimes — and in one case all charges were dropped — Boebert’s record is unusually long for a congressional candidate. It has become a campaign issue as the Republican from Rifle competes in a highly anticipated contest against Diane Mitsch Bush in the 3rd Congressional District, which spans western and southern Colorado.

“I’m proud to be endorsed by my hometown sheriff, Lou Vallario, who knows the strength of my character. The summary here is a small fine, not charged, charge dismissed, charge dropped,” Boebert said Thursday, referring to the outcomes of her four cases. “In the meantime, Diane Mitsch Bush is intent on socializing our healthcare.”

Boebert’s first run-in with police was in the fall of 2010, after a neighbor, Michele Soet, alleged that Boebert, then 23, was harassing Soet and Soet’s husband. The alleged harassment occurred in the days after Soet called police because Boebert’s pit bulls were loose and threatening the life of her dogs.

Cori Bush on Twitter: "What does it mean when they boo the Black congresswoman denouncing white supremacy?" / Twitter
then
Katherine Clark on Twitter: "On the House floor, my colleague @CoriBush and I both called out the white supremacy at the root of the attack on our democracy. She was booed. I was not. The difference is skin color." / Twitter
(Assistant Speaker, MA-05)

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "One thing that always astounds me ..." / Twitter
One thing that always astounds me is the GOP’s talent for neglecting key issues until it affects them personally.

They couldn’t care less when Trump used his mob to put their colleagues’ lives in danger, yet are only noticing how bad it is when the threat’s been turned on them.

For two years many of us have been subject to extremely violent threats, attempts, stalkers, & targeted misinfo.

When I went to the border, there was a mob w/ knives & guns feet away and CBP refused to protect the delegation. What did we do? We did the press conference anyways.
That's common among right-wingers. Never caring about anything unless something bites them personally.

Opinion | Bullied into voting against impeachment? Tell the cops and then resign. - The Washington Post
News reports, including direct accounts from Democratic colleagues, suggest some Republicans voted against impeachment because they were afraid for their lives. Rep. Jason Crow (D-Colo.) in a recent MSNBC interview said: "The majority of them are paralyzed with fear. I had a lot of conversations with my Republican colleagues last night, and a couple of them broke down in tears — saying that they are afraid for their lives if they vote for this impeachment.”

He is not the only one. Rep. Peter Meijer (R-Mich.), who voted for impeachment, told Reason: "I had colleagues who, when it came time to recognize reality and vote to certify Arizona and Pennsylvania in the Electoral College, they knew in their heart of hearts that they should’ve voted to certify, but some had legitimate concerns about the safety of their families,” he said. He added, “They felt that that vote would put their families in danger.”
What a bunch of cowards. I thought that these people loved the cops. I'm sure that they'd get a VERY sympathetic ear. :D

Also, what makes them think that Trump's mob would spare them?

Opinion | Republican politics is now defined by the threat of murderous violence - The Washington Post
You may have heard this aphorism about the parties: Democrats hate their base and Republicans fear their base. We must now confront a sinister new reality. Republicans are no longer just afraid that their base will force them to defend the politically indefensible or send them packing in a primary challenge.

They’re afraid that their base, or at least certain elements of it, will literally kill them.

This is not an exaggeration or a metaphor. In December, the majority leader of the Pennsylvania Senate said that if she didn’t support Republican efforts to nullify the state’s electoral votes, “I’d get my house bombed tonight.” With the attack on the Capitol, the murderous threat to the life of every elected official came home for members of Congress.

Opinion | Trump’s future looks rotten - The Washington Post

Opinion | Joint intelligence bulletin suggests Trump’s lies could incite more violence - The Washington Post
Not long after President Trump earned the crowning distinction of becoming the first U.S. president to get impeached twice, he released a video in which he went further than ever in calling for an end to post-election violence. But here’s what Trump did not say:

First, that Joe Biden is the legitimate winner of the 2020 election. Second, that Trump’s own big lie to the contrary was the singular cause of the deadly mob assault on the Capitol — and is perhaps the fundamental reason we face the threat of more right-wing insurgent violence to come.

A new federal intelligence bulletin that I’ve obtained underscores the stakes of this omission: It flatly warns that the lie that the 2020 election was fraudulent could be a key inspiration of domestic extremist violence going forward.
Like the belief that Germany was defeated in the Great War because the nation was stabbed in the back by traitors, the "November criminals".

Alan Feuer on Twitter: "DECISION: Federal judge rules that Cleveland Meredith, charged w/threatening to kill Nancy Pelosi, should be detained pending trial. Many Capitol rioters have been released. But Meredith, who came to DC w/an arsenal of weapons, was found to be a potential danger, the judge ruled." / Twitter

AJ+ on Twitter: "Police have now arrested over 100 people for the Capitol riot by Trump supporters seeking to overturn the election.

In June, DC police arrested 289 people after peaceful anti-racism protests 1 block away from the White House — 5X the arrests made the day of the Capitol attack. https://t.co/MoNaxgUdvs" / Twitter

noting
Ilhan Omar on Twitter: "It’s the hypocrisy in policing for me." / Twitter
So Weimarian.

Trump is isolated and angry at aides for failing to defend him as he is impeached again - The Washington Post
When Donald Trump on Wednesday became the first president ever impeached twice, he did so as a leader increasingly isolated, sullen and vengeful.

With less than seven days remaining in his presidency, Trump’s inner circle is shrinking, offices in his White House are emptying, and the president is lashing out at some of those who remain. He is angry that his allies have not mounted a more forceful defense of his incitement of the mob that stormed the Capitol last week, advisers and associates said.

Though Trump has been exceptionally furious with Vice President Pence, his relationship with lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani, one of his most steadfast defenders, is also fracturing, according to people with knowledge of the dynamics between the men.
He cooked his goose. He has nobody to blame but himself for his miseries.

Oh, MISeries.
At first glance i thought i read 'Miniseries.' Yeah.
He is, by his own hand, well and truly fucked.

I have friends from my religious days that have lost their minds with the Trump cult... I don't know how we will get them back.

Religion really poisons the minds ability to think critically.... and Trump used use those broken minds to build his cult.

Congresswoman Marie Newman on Twitter: "Happy to help them pack 👋" / Twitter
noting
The Hill on Twitter: "Moving trucks can be seen outside the White House https://t.co/Mx7CmLhVIo" / Twitter

Trump brought leadership turmoil to security agencies in run-up to Capitol riot - The Washington Post
he three top federal agencies responsible for protecting the nation — the Departments of Justice, Defense and Homeland Security — are all being run by acting officials, as the United States endures one of its most sensitive national security crises.

The leadership vacuum is the product of President Trump’s tempestuous relationships with his Cabinet secretaries and tendency to replace them for long periods of time with acting officials who lack Senate confirmation — a pattern that has led to turmoil atop critical federal agencies for much of his presidency.

Never has the absence of confirmed leaders seemed more pronounced than now. All three agencies were being led by acting officials in the run-up to the Jan. 6 riot at the Capitol, where extremist Trump supporters who embrace the president’s false claims of election fraud stormed the building to demand that lawmakers dispute President-elect Joe Biden’s victory during a pro forma certification of the electoral college vote.
Yet more evidence of what a failed leader Trump is -- some of right-wingers favorite government agencies are rather badly disorganized under his rule.

Senator Hawley Defends Himself | National Review
His self-defense sticks with the strategy that he was following before and on January 6 (and which I’ve criticized here). He doesn’t say that Biden stole the election; he doesn’t say that Biden won the election fairly. He doesn’t spread baseless conspiracy theories about voting machines, or deny them, or acknowledge their existence. He talks instead about whether Pennsylvania election law was changed the correct way. Trump’s weeks of lies about the election and attempts to overturn it are also out of frame; the name Trump does not appear in the article. Hawley explains that he was just trying to speak up for Missouri voters who were deeply concerned about the sanctity of Pennsylvania’s state constitution.
Ramesh Ponnuru on Twitter: "Senator Hawley sticks to his story. https://t.co/XCiY4SBWYe" / Twitter
then
Against All Enemies , Foreign & Domestc 💙🇺🇸 💙 on Twitter: "@RameshPonnuru So, Missouri voters were deeply concerned about the sanctity of Pennsylvania’s state constitution. Got it. Makes perfect sense." / Twitter
then
Sahil Kapur on Twitter: "“Hawley explains that he was just trying to speak up for Missouri voters who were deeply concerned about the sanctity of Pennsylvania’s state constitution.”" / Twitter
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "That’s a lot of words for “I wanted to be President and thought trying to overturn the election would tee me up to be the rightful heir to Trump’s violent mob”" / Twitter

This Convicted Planned Parenthood Bomber Was at the Capitol 'Fighting' for Trump
A convicted abortion-clinic bomber live-streamed himself at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, as he put it, “fighting for our beloved President Donald J. Trump.” He stood just a few steps away from a short fence that separated him and other Trump supporters from the Capitol Building, according to the video, originally posted to his Facebook account and shared with VICE News.

John Brockhoeft was convicted and spent time in prison for planning to bomb an abortion clinic in 1988. Two years later, he also admitted to setting a fire that wrecked another abortion clinic. He was just one of several high-profile anti-abortion activists who showed up to Trump’s rally-turned-riot in Washington, D.C., that led to the death of five people and dozens of arrests.
He wore a hat with "U.S. NAVY" and "VETERAN" on it.

Back
Top Bottom