• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

January 6 Hearings Live

From The Hill:
article said:
In a statement to The Hill later on Wednesday, a spokesperson for Pressley said “the matter has been raised with the relevant agencies and is currently under investigation.” The representative said the “duress buttons” had previously been “installed throughout the Congresswoman’s office suite.”

“Our staff has used these devices before and they are regularly tested and maintained,” they said.

“The safety of the Congresswoman, her family and our staff remain our top priority and at the direction of the Congresswoman, the Sergeant at Arms oversaw the installation of new duress buttons throughout the office following the attack,” they added.

The Hill has reached the House sergeant-at-arms and U.S. Capitol Police.
This is a serious accusation! Much like the claim some of the rioters were being provided a tour of the Capitol the day before the riot.
Speaking of confirming....
CNN (my emphasis) said:
Scanlon told CNN she saw a group of six to eight people.

“Many of the Members who signed this letter, including those of us who have served in the military and are trained to recognize suspicious activity, as well as various members of our staff, witnessed an extremely high number of outside groups in the complex on Tuesday, Jan. 5,” the letter stated.

It says the tours were “unusual” and “concerning” and were reported to the Sergeant at Arms on Jan. 5. The letter said the groups “could only have gained access to the Capitol complex from a member of Congress or a member of their staff.
Still could be coincidental, granted, tours in the Capitol Building during a pandemic seems odd.

Grace Segers on Twitter: "The House is now beginning two hours of debate on the article of impeachment charging President Trump with "incitement of insurrection."" / Twitter
Aw, man. I would habitually check Bonespurs' twitter account about now to see how dishinged the process has gotten him.
Shucks.

Gosar's siblings push to have him removed from Congress after Capitol riot

Three of Rep. Paul Gosar's (R-Ariz.) siblings have called on him to be expelled from Congress, The Arizona Republic reported, placing blame on the congressman for helping incite the violent riot that took place at the Capitol on Wednesday.

Gosar’s siblings sent a letter to Rep. Raúl Grijalva (D-Ariz.) asking for his help in removing their brother from Congress, the newspaper reported.

It's the third time in three years that members of Gosar's family have publicly voiced their disapproval of the representative.

"We know him to be an extremist and we took that very seriously," Jennifer Gosar told the newspaper. "I believe that my brother has been a constant perpetrator of misinformation. ... I've been incredulous at the lack of accountability thus far. I would think Wednesday would be certainly a line."

"When you talk about what happened the other day, you're talking about treason. You're talking about overthrowing the government. That's what this is. If that doesn't rise to the level of expulsion, what does?" said Tim Gosar.

Grijalva’s office confirmed to the Republic that it had received the letter but stressed that Grijalva was most focused on holding President Trump accountable.

The Hill on Twitter: "Rep. Steny Hoyer: "I served with Ronald Reagan, with George H.W. Bush and George Bush. I have respect for all of those Presidents. They cared about our country. They honored our Constitution... That is not true of this President." #ImpeachmentDay (link)" / Twitter

The Hill on Twitter: "Rep. Steny Hoyer slams Rep. Jim Jordan: "He denies the facts -- Trumplike. 'Fake news.'" #ImpeachmentDay (link)" / Twitter

Bloomberg on Twitter: ""Will we stand silent? Will we not stand up and say, 'This is not acceptable?'' House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer urges Congress to hold Trump responsible for the Capitol riot and impeach (links)" / Twitter

Congresswoman Marie Newman on Twitter: "On my third day in Congress, I was forced to shelter on lockdown because the President of the United States encouraged a deadly assault on our Capitol and democracy.

Today, on my 10th day in Congress, I’m voting to impeach him." / Twitter

noting
Jada Yuan on Twitter: "NEW: Imagine being a freshman member of Congress. You start a new job & on day 3, a mob lays siege to your workplace — when you’re still trying to figure out where the bathroom is. I spoke with a bunch of them. (link)" / Twitter
noting
Congressional freshman recount the experience of hiding from the Capitol mob - The Washington Post

The Capitol mob desecrated a historical workplace — and left behind some disturbing artifacts - The Washington Post

Secular Talk on Twitter: "The reason Mitch McConnell and a number of Republicans are now considering throwing Trump under the bus is because all of corporate America is dumping the GOP at 1,000 mph" / Twitter

Manu Raju on Twitter: "House GOP furious at new mags outside the chamber. ..." / Twitter
House GOP furious at new mags outside the chamber. Reps. Markwayne Mullin and Steve Womack erupted at Capitol Police as they were forced to go through the mags. Womack shouted “I was physically restrained!” And Mullin said “it’s my constitutional right” and “they cannot stop me”. Rep. Rodney Davis told Mullin not to shout at Capitol Police, and he said: “This is not their fault, they’re doing their job.”

But Davis, who is the top Republican on House Admin, told me: “I’m pissed” that the mags have gone up without any consultation.

Rep. Steve Scalise, the No. 2 Republican, told me that the situation is “untenable” because it “impedes the ability of members to come and vote. This is our job.” These are the lines.
(showing a picture)
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "It’s almost as though GOP members promoting videos of themselves illegally carrying firearms on Capitol grounds, posting images of themselves holding guns next to Democratic members,& inciting an attack on the Capitol has consequences!

Naturally, GOP are crying & playing victim." / Twitter

Matt Fuller on Twitter: "Pretty amazing to watch Republican Members of Congress, after the week that Capitol Police has had, push their way past officers and not follow rules about metal detectors on the floor." / Twitter
then
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "All these GOP “pro-police” slogans were never actually abt safety.

It was always abt upholding a system of state violence that targets Black ppl & ppl of color.

You can tell by how regularly GOP members defend crimes, reject accountability, & push officers when *they* want to." / Twitter

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I have one message to members of Congress who amplified lies to undermine our democracy, encouraged an attack on our Capitol, and tried to overturn our election:

Resign.

If your lust for power exceeds your dedication to democracy, there is simply no place for you in Congress." / Twitter

Here's the damning timeline of Trump's conduct during the siege of the Capitol

On the morning of Jan. 6, Trump held a "Save America" rally. GOP Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama spoke, echoing Trump's claims about the election, and saying it was time for "patriots" to "take names and kick ass." Rudy Giuliani says it's time for "trial by combat."

Finally, Trump spoke beginning around noon, about an hour before the counting of the Electoral College votes is to begin in Congress. He said:
"You'll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength. You have to be strong."
"Fight like hell"
"We're going to have to fight much harder and Mike Pence is going to have to come through for us."
"Our country has had enough. We will not take it anymore and that's what this is all about."
"We're going to walk down Pennsylvania Ave ... and we're going to the Capitol. ... we're going to try and give our Republicans, the weak ones, because the strong ones don't need any of our help, we're going to try and give them the kind of pride and boldness that they need to take back our country.

Around the time Trump finished up his speech and sending his supporters to the Capitol after 1 p.m., Pence released a statement saying he won't change the result of the election. Congress began the process of counting the votes.

While this was going on, Trump supporters at the building were already beginning to clash with the police, first arriving at 12:40 p.m., according to the Washington Post. The Post reported that the Capitol was breached at 1:59 p.m. Lawmakers and aides scrambled to hide and lockdown to protect themselves from the rioters, as an overwhelmed Capitol Police force found itself unable to contain the insurrection.

Some of the rioters chanted: "Hang Mike Pence." Reuters reporter Jim Bourg said three rioters claimed they intended to do just that.

According to CNN, Trump called GOP Sen. Mike Lee of Utah, meaning to speak to Alabama Republican Sen. Tommy Tuberville, "shortly after 2 p.m." The senators were in lockdown because of the invasion. CNN reported: "Tuberville spoke with Trump for less than 10 minutes, with the President trying to convince him to make additional objections to the Electoral College vote in a futile effort to block Congress' certification of President-elect Joe Biden's win, according to a source familiar with the call. The call was cut off because senators were asked to move to a secure location."

Then, at 2:24 p.m., while the riot was still ongoing, Trump tweeted out: "Mike Pence didn't have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our Country and our Constitution, giving States a chance to certify a corrected set of facts, not the fraudulent or inaccurate ones which they were asked to previously certify. USA demands the truth!"

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I get it, ..." / Twitter
I get it, but some of us just spent the last 2 years taking stances that have led to repeated attempts on our lives - for demanding guaranteed healthcare, immigrant justice, etc.

Sorry if this lacks empathy, but it’s a privilege if this is their first time. They can do one vote.

Many of them rode the wave of this violent rhetoric, or at the very least sat idly by it. Now is our chance to stop it.

This is what we are sent to Congress to do - the tough stuff. All the easy choices are taken. If any GOP need advice on how to deal with it, they can call me.
Or Ilhan Omar or Rashida Tlaib.

Nelini Stamp 🐺🐜 on Twitter: "White supremacists will never, EVER, live in a world where they will see their fantasies come true which is why they rely on violence - @AOC taking us to churchhhhhhh" / Twitter
That may be overconfident, though I agree that they will not likely have their Good Old Days back again.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "I don’t want to hear these coup-supporting GOP talk about “blue lives” ever again. ..." / Twitter
I don’t want to hear these coup-supporting GOP talk about “blue lives” ever again.

They never cared about safety.
Never cared about “law & order.”
And certainly do not care for democracy.

They only care for power, & invited chaos in an effort seize it. They are unfit to serve.

To my colleagues in Congress - here’s a novel thought: instead of pledging allegiance to your donor class or a violent mob, why don’t you cast your vote based on the right thing to do?

You either defend ALL the people or you protect that mob. It’s really not that complicated.

Accountable Tech on Twitter: "Shout-out to @AOC for calling out Facebook Group recommendations and it’s role in radicalizing users in last week’s attempted coup. (link)" / Twitter
then
Jesse Lehrich on Twitter: "in her amazing livestream last night, @AOC lambasted Mark Zuckerberg for "creating recommendation engines [that've been] just funneling millions of people into white supremacist groups & organizations. He recommended it, he built the platform for it, he accelerated this.” 🔥🔥🔥" / Twitter

Queens man impeached — again — Queens Daily Eagle - "A Queens-born real estate developer made history Wednesday when he became the first U.S. president ever impeached twice by the House of Representatives."
Lauren Hitt on Twitter: "With extraordinary respect for the @QueensEagle, this is very clearly a Florida man." / Twitter
Trump has made Florida his new home state. He has made Mar-a-Lago his home base, unless he decides to flee to Moscow.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "@LaurenHitt @QueensEagle We don’t know him 🧐" / Twitter
- what Trump says about anyone that he has stopped liking

Maria Panova on Twitter: "@AOC @LaurenHitt @QueensEagle I read there are 15,000 National Guard at the Capitol Trump leaves office with the biggest terrorist threat to the US are the MAGA who believe his lies https://t.co/61jO53UpRP" / Twitter
then
After Capitol riot, 15,000 National Guard members could be deployed in D.C. during inauguration - The Washington Post - "The expansion comes as lawmakers question extremist views in the military and the ability of U.S. troops to respond quickly in domestic crises"
Talk about a show of force.

Anand Giridharadas on Twitter: "So @CoriBush denounces white supremacy on the House floor, and the Republicans literally boo.

OK, then. That is very clear." / Twitter

Meet Capitol Police officer Eugene Goodman, captured in viral video facing down mob - The Washington Post - he lured a mob of Trumpies away from the Senate chamber.

Lawmakers briefed on 'horrifying,' 'chilling' security threats ahead of inauguration | TheHill
Capitol security officials are warning lawmakers that thousands of extremist supporters of President Trump are planning to try to storm the Capitol ahead of President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration.

Lawmakers were told of four specific armed threats against the Capitol, White House and Supreme Court during a call late Monday night, according to a source familiar with the discussion.

"They were talking about 4,000 armed 'patriots' to surround the Capitol and prevent any Democrat from going in," Lamb said. "They have published rules of engagement, meaning when you shoot and when you don't. So this is an organized group that has a plan. They are committed to doing what they're doing because I think in their minds, you know, they are patriots and they're talking about 1776 and so this is now a contest of wills."

House passes measure calling on Pence to remove Trump | TheHill
noting
H.Res.21 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Calling on Vice President Michael R. Pence to convene and mobilize the principal officers of the executive departments of the Cabinet to activate section 4 of the 25th Amendment to declare President Donald J. Trump incapable of executing the duties of his office and to immediately exercise powers as acting President. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress
with vote
Roll Call 14
  • D: Y 222
  • R: Y 1, N 205, nv 5
  • Total: Y 223, N 205, nv 5
The only Republican to vote yes: Adam Kinzinger, IL-16. Among the non-voters was Dan Crenshaw, TX-02.

House impeaches Trump for second time — with some GOP support | TheHill
noting
H.Res.24 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress
with vote
Roll Call 17
  • D: Y 222
  • R: Y 10, N 197, nv 4
  • Total: Y 232, N 197
The R yes votes were from Liz Cheney WY-01, Jaime Herrera Beutler WA-03, Dan Newhouse WA-04, Anthony Gonzalez OH-16, John Katko NY-24, Adam Kinzinger, IL-16, Peter Meijer MI-03, Tom Rice SC-07, Fred Upton MI-06, David G. Valadao CA-21

Most of them were blue-state Republicans.

It's raining maga tears! How many arrests so far? More than 100? Many of them cops, ex-cops, or ex-military. Calls for some in congress to resign for their part.

Charges of "unauthorized blah blah blah" "disorderly blah blah blah" are just the easy shit that the FBI can use to arrest people and then do the more careful, time consuming work in terms of serious charges. I predict more showers and thunderstorms of maga tears in the coming weeks.

Ayanna Pressley on Twitter: "The second I realized our "safe room" from the violent white supremacist mob included treasonous, white supremacist, anti masker Members of Congress who incited the mob in the first place, I exited. Furious that more of my colleagues by the day are testing positive." / Twitter

FBI report warned of 'war' at Capitol, contradicting claims there was no indication of looming violence - The Washington Post - what was going on?
A relatively charitable interpretation was that the rallygoers' plans seemed too unprecedented to be taken seriously.

Top Republicans want Trump done — forevermore - Axios - "Top Republicans want to bury President Trump, for good. But they are divided whether to do it with one quick kill via impeachment, or let him slowly fade away."

Investigators pursuing signs US Capitol riot was planned - CNNPolitics
Among the evidence the FBI is examining are indications that some participants at the Trump rally at the Ellipse, outside the White House, left the event early, perhaps to retrieve items to be used in the assault on the Capitol.

A team of investigators and prosecutors are also focused on the command and control aspect of the attack, looking at travel and communications records to determine if they can build a case that is similar to a counterterrorism investigation, the official said.

At least some of the arrests already made are part of a strategy used in counterterrorism investigations, to find even a minimal charge and try to take a person of concern off the streets. That helps ease the possible threat amid concern about possible attacks on the inauguration, officials believe.
Like Proud Boys head Enrique Tarrios. He was caught for stealing a Black Lives Matter flag, then the investigators found two high-capacity firearm magazines (cartridges).

Feds Charge 2 Trump-Loving Cops Who Took A Selfie During Attack On U.S. Capitol | HuffPost - "Thomas Robertson and Jacob Fracker took a photograph of themselves during an insurrection and bragged about their exploits on social media."

18-year-old Helena Duke names mom, uncle and aunt as Capitol rioters - ABC7 Los Angeles

Man photographed wearing 'Camp Auschwitz' shirt inside Capitol arrested | TheHill

Kushner stopped Trump from joining Parler, Gab after Twitter ban: report | TheHill

Jordan calls on Cheney to step down from House leadership | TheHill - Jim Jordan (R-OH) vs. Liz Cheney (R-WY)

Capitol Police Angry Over Failures Ahead Of Attack - “There are definitely some members who need to be held to account once an investigation shows the totality of circumstances.”
. The third officer described how close they had been to opening fire on the mob: After nearly two decades on the force, the officer said, “I’ve never, ever, ever had physically or mentally been in a place where I’ve felt the need to use my weapon, and I was about five seconds from doing it on that day. I felt legitimate concern for my safety and the safety of the other few officers that were around me because to say we were outnumbered is a gross understatement.”

The three officers, who spoke with BuzzFeed News on condition of anonymity for fear of retribution, lay ultimate blame for what happened on Jan. 6 at the feet of their managers, who they said appeared utterly blindsided by the attack, despite weeks of open planning by the conspirators online. All three officers said their managers put them in an impossible situation on that day.
What was going on? Did someone at the White House interfere with ordering a heavy police presence? How far up does this failure go?
The veteran officer said they were so outnumbered and unprepared that at times he had to stand by helpless as colleagues were viciously attacked. “We came to this door and they were like five or six officers on the other side,” they said. “And it was very heart-wrenching for me because there was nothing that we could do for them. There were literally hundreds, thousands of people on the other side of this door and [the officers are] literally [pinned] against the wall, but we can’t open the door because if we opened the door, they’re going to get crushed and these people are going to pretty much take over.”

... Each of the officers separately pointed out that management didn’t even take “simple measures” ahead of the attack like building a temporary barrier around the Capitol ahead of time.

The Capitol cops suspected the same racial disparity that many others have suspected.
Two of the officers, both of them Black, specifically compared last Wednesday’s attack with how management handled the Black Lives Matter protests this summer, and said that the contrast is stark.

“This summer, when we had the BLM protest, it was all hands on deck,” one officer said. “I mean we had an abundance of bodies and support … the amount of people that they had available was astounding. They were pretty much working us to the ground … on [Wednesday], there was none of that.”

“Let me just say this: If the same posture was taken Wednesday, that was taken the summer, with the BLM protests, it would have been totally different,” he added. “I think [last Wednesday] was the result of a mixture of arrogance and incompetence, but I also think a group of Black people and brown people are a lot scarier to [management] than a group of white people. I don’t want to say that, but that’s just me being as objective as I can be.”

According to one officer, the force is “male dominated” and “white dominated,” adding that “minority officers aren’t treated the same.”
Jeremy Slevin on Twitter: ".@IlhanMN: "For years, we have been asked to turn a blind eye to the criminality...of this Administration.

We can no longer look away.

The President not only incited an insurrection against our government, but has in word and deed, led a rebellion." (video link)" / Twitter

Manu Raju on Twitter: "Tom Rice, R-SC, a surprise “yes” vote: “Yet, the President has not addressed the nation to ask for calm. He has not visited the injured and grieving. He has not offered condolences. Yesterday in a press briefing at the border, he said his comments were 'perfectly appropriate.'"" / Twitter
then
Manu Raju on Twitter: "Rice: "I have backed this President through thick and thin for four years. I campaigned for him and voted for him twice. But, this utter failure is inexcusable."" / Twitter

Anaridis Rodriguez on Twitter: "House Speaker Nancy Pelosi signs a single article of impeachment, charging President Trump with incitement of insurrection. https://t.co/BFZ1J5wbhc" / Twitter
then
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter: "Impeached." / Twitter

Jessie Opoien on Twitter: "Yes, Marjorie Taylor Greene is wearing a mask that says “CENSORED” as she speaks into a microphone on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives. https://t.co/i7401gseIU" / Twitter
then
Ruth H. Hopkins, B.S., M.S., J.D. on Twitter: "Wanna talk about being silenced? The first Native women weren’t elected to Congress until 2019." / Twitter

Official confirms it was a Republican Congressman giving a Capitol tour to insurrectionists ahead of attack - Raw Story - Celebrating 16 Years of Independent Journalism
I can confirm that," Rep. Maloney told MSNBC's Nicolle Wallace. "I don't have firsthand knowledge of it, but I spoke to a member who saw it personally, and he described it with some alarm. Some of our new colleagues, the same ones, of course, who believe in conspiracy theories and who want to carry guns into the House chamber, who today, today, have been yelling at Capitol Police, shoving them. Who a week ago were risking their lives to save ours. This conduct is beyond the pale, and it extends to some of this interaction with the very people who attacked the Capitol, and that's why the issue of making sure every member of Congress now goes through a metal detector, which has never happened before, is so important for the security of the inauguration and for our proceedings and it's a sad reality that we find ourselves at a place where the enemy is within, and we cannot trust our own colleagues."
Trump supporter nabbed by FBI after Facebook boast about breaking down Pelosi's office door - Raw Story - Celebrating 16 Years of Independent Journalism

Rep. Mark Pocan on Twitter: "I just voted to impeach Donald Trump for inciting an insurrection.

There is no healing without accountability. https://t.co/g9TFg6ZaJ2" / Twitter

Back
Top Bottom