• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jesus Christ, Made In Our Likeness

I thought this was about Justin Bieber. So...not interested.
Bieber? That fucker never flipped no tables.
But... he wants us to be his baby, baby, baby.
I mean, I don't want to be kissed to death by no pop star... Besides, isn't he like, 2?
Time has no meaning for a divine avatar.
I mean, I think I discussed some changes to that doctrine insofar as all systems of change have a time dimension... But, to be fair, if we go the "crazy whackadoodle gnostic Christian" interpretation, rather than the classic church interpretation, it's more an archetype which came before, is perhaps here somewhere now, and will happen again in different ways and similar ones to the ways before; and for which my truth is born into others, but probably not from most others, because telephone's a bitch; and that by carrying one another's stories and art and heartfelt works we shall hold each other in the kingdom of each other's minds and "hearts" for as long as those stories are told, separated as they were between those remembered with disgust and those remembered with veneration, and those simply never spoken of to remember at all, and to be reborn once more when they read their stories and are moved once more to relive as the archetype.

Or something like that?

Then again, no guarantees here, I sold my soul out indiscriminately to the void when I was a wee one, so maybe that makes me the Antichrist instead of The Divine Avatar? Then, I know one particular orange turd way more qualified for "Antichrist" than I could ever be.

YMMV.

(To all interested, please be assured I don't want to start a cult, this is a joke on an extreme coincidence against the thread title and the rule of large numbers, and the ubiquity of religious concepts as forced too often to adopted children)

Ten commandments, Thou shalt Not Kill.
Now it is off to Canaan to kill all the Canaanites.
As God commanded.
And would you give a similar spin to ' thou shalt not kill' to also mean we shouldn't kill cows to make burgers from cows?
Asking doctrinaire Christians to explain this is always interesting.
Then it should be interesting to you to know that to Christians, this particular verse 'thou shalt not kill'' was in context to murder.

Charlie is kicking an own goal by emphasizing the importance of obeying God's commandments about killing.

If Charlie is right - and I think he is - then;

If God says don't do something - don't do it.
If God says do something - then do it.

As God commanded.
And would you give a similar spin to ' thou shalt not kill' to also mean we shouldn't kill cows to make burgers from cows?
Then it should be interesting to you to know that to Christians, this particular verse 'thou shalt not kill'' was in context to murder.

Murder was ordered and done.

As God commanded.

It's pretty sick murder, too, given that the only way to interpret the apparent disconnect is that the Israelites didn't even consider the people they were murdering as "people" in the first place, and apparently Learner doesn't either, having likened them to cows (which I also think we should probably not kill if we can avoid it and still live good lives).

As God commanded.

It is unfortunate you aren't able to differentiate the context between defending yourself as a nation and murder in times of war, especially when its always a reaction to defend yourself from the very first actions initiated against the Israelites. If you understand it now, pass it on to jaryn...cheers.🙂

Yep.
And people typically overlook the fact that the Israelites tried to make peace with their Canaanite enemies first and those overtures were rejected.

As God commanded.

It is unfortunate you aren't able to differentiate the context between defending yourself as a nation and murder in times of war, especially when its always a reaction to defend yourself from the very first actions initiated against the Israelites. If you understand it now, pass it on to jaryn...cheers.🙂
Yes, and when you are going into somewhere someone else already is living without them in living memory attacking or seeking you out or even knowing your people exist, and you go in and slaughter and rape every last person there, we call that murder and rape slavery, not "defense".

In fact, as the specific subtype of murder, we call that genocide.

Yep.
And people typically overlook the fact that the Israelites tried to make peace with their Canaanite enemies first and those overtures were rejected.
Cite?

For example consider Exodus 23:22-28. No mercy is shown to the Amorites et al. I don't see where the Amorites rejected any peace overture. Instead I thought the Amorites needed to be overthrown simply because they occupied land which God had given to Abraham.

Yep.
Cite?

For example consider Exodus 23:22-28. No mercy is shown to the Amorites et al. I don't see where the Amorites rejected any peace overture. Instead I thought the Amorites needed to be overthrown simply because they occupied land which God had given to Abraham.

You’re like, the world’s worst apologist.
You’re supposed to gloss over that crap, and focus your attention on the places where god wasn’t telling people to kill each other.

Yep.

Joshua 11
19 There was not a city that made peace with the children of Israel, save the Hivites the inhabitants of Gibeon: all other they took in battle.
20 For it was of the Lord to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that he might destroy them utterly, and that they might have no favour, but that he might destroy them, as the Lord commanded Moses.

For it was of the Lord to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that he might destroy them utterly, and that they might have no favour, but that he might destroy them, as the Lord commanded Moses.
They’re like the Yankees and the Red Sox.
It’s talking about chariot races!

Yep.
Cite?

Numbers 20:14/17/18

Moses sent messengers from Kadesh to the king of Edom, saying...
“Now we are here at Kadesh, a town on the edge of your territory. Please let us pass through your country. We will not go through any field or vineyard, or drink water from any well. We will travel along the King’s Highway and not turn to the right or to the left until we have passed through your territory.”

But Edom answered:
“You may not pass through here; if you try, we will march out and attack you with the sword

Then you have the unprovoked pre-emptive attack by the Canaanite king of Arad, in the Negev, when he heard that Israel was coming. (Numbers 21:1)

Then you have...

Numbers 21:21-23
Israel sent messengers to say to Sihon king of the Amorites:

"Let us pass through your country. We will not turn aside into any field or vineyard, or drink water from any well. We will travel along the King’s Highway until we have passed through your territory.”

But Sihon would not let Israel pass through his territory. He mustered his entire army and marched out into the wilderness against Israel. When he reached Jahaz, he fought with Israel.

Yep.
Cite?

“Now we are here at Kadesh, a town on the edge of your territory. Please let us pass through your country. We will not go through any field or vineyard, or drink water from any well. We will travel along the King’s Highway and not turn to the right or to the left until we have passed through your territory.”

But Edom answered:
“You may not pass through here; if you try, we will march out and attack you with the sword

Then you have the unprovoked pre-emptive attack by the Canaanite king of Arad, in the Negev, when he heard that Israel was coming. (Numbers 21:1)

Then you have...

"Let us pass through your country. We will not turn aside into any field or vineyard, or drink water from any well. We will travel along the King’s Highway until we have passed through your territory.”

But Sihon would not let Israel pass through his territory. He mustered his entire army and marched out into the wilderness against Israel. When he reached Jahaz, he fought with Israel.
Color me cynical if you must,
But listening to a modern translation of an ancient people's explanation for why they were so genocidal doesn't really have much credibility to me.
Tom

Yep.
Cite?

But Edom answered:

Then you have...

Color me cynical if you must,
But listening to a modern translation of an ancient people's explanation for why they were so genocidal doesn't really have much credibility to me.
Tom

Archeology has demonstrated the entire Exodus tall tale was faux history. There was no Egyptian captivity, no exodus, no wandering in the wilderness, no Moses and Joshua committing God commanded genocide in Canaan. All of this was ancient lies written about 700 BCE or so by a Lying Teller of Oriental Tall Tales. And of course, Joshua et al and Judges contradict each other as to these tall tales. Which not many Christian evangelists seem to notice.

Back
Top Bottom