• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Jimmy Carter

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
Jimmy Carter to begin receiving home hospice care

ormer US President Jimmy Carter will begin receiving hospice care at his home in Georgia, according to a statement from The Carter Center on Saturday.

“After a series of short hospital stays, former US President Jimmy Carter today decided to spend his remaining time at home with his family and receive hospice care instead of additional medical intervention. He has the full support of his family and his medical team,” the statement said.

Jason Carter, a onetime Democratic state senator in Georgia and the former president’s grandson, said he visited Friday with his grandparents and that “they are at peace and – as always – their home is full of love.”

Jimmy Carter, who turned 98 last year, became the oldest living US president in history after the passing of George H.W. Bush, who died in late 2018 at 94. The nation’s 39th president has kept a low public profile in recent years due to the coronavirus pandemic but has continued to speak out about risks to democracy around the world, a longtime cause of his.

Compared to a lot of your presidents he was not up himself. A good egg.

He struck me as a little naïve at times but in other circumstances he would have done well.

why is it good?
A Republican (Trumpist) administration would take the opportunity to trash Carter if he died on their watch. Just as they trash anyone who has legitimately earned the respect Trump and his ilk so crave, and that they will never attain.

it's been announced that he has gone on hospice care. He plans to stay at his home with family until the time comes

If he’s to pass, it’s good it will be during Biden’s administration.
Is there some special gift to his family if he dies during Biden's time?
Other wise why is it good? I must be missing something obvious.

Unless he requested otherwise, I would think there would be the regular "passing of a president" hoopla in DC after his death and I wonder how a Trump or Trumplike creature might disrespect his name just to play politics.

He's my favorite president and my favorite ex president. He's probably the most honest president we've ever had. In many ways he was ahead of his times, when it came to things like protecting the environment. He supported the separation of church and state, unlike many Christian politicians these days. He's a true humanitarian. He chose to live a simple life unlike many other former presidents. He was always humble and compassionate. I said this in the lounge, but I'll say it again. I admire him for choosing hospice instead of aggressive end of life care. He's had a long, productive life and he's accepted that his time is coming to an end.

Well, he is 98, so the aggressive care would probably kill him. It is surreal to watch someone sign off on dying though. He was one of the greatest people to ever be elected president. He genuinely cared and managed to become a President without having the ego that is usually prerequisite for the job.

If he’s to pass, it’s good it will be during Biden’s administration.
Is there some special gift to his family if he dies during Biden's time?
Other wise why is it good? I must be missing something obvious.

Early in his administration, in front of the Memorial Wall honoring CIA agents who died in service to the country, TFG gave a speech bragging a lie about the size of his inauguration day crowds. Many of us feel that a repeat of that performance at a memorial to his antithesis, a president whose service was marked by steadfast honesty, humility, and faithfulness would be egregious.

He's my favorite president and my favorite ex president. He's probably the most honest president we've ever had. In many ways he was ahead of his times, when it came to things like protecting the environment. He supported the separation of church and state, unlike many Christian politicians these days. He's a true humanitarian. He chose to live a simple life unlike many other former presidents. He was always humble and compassionate. I said this in the lounge, but I'll say it again. I admire him for choosing hospice instead of aggressive end of life care. He's had a long, productive life and he's accepted that his time is coming to an end.
Its hard not to admire his integrity and character.

As an aside I think it is very interesting that becoming a centurion is pretty rare yet those who do live that long seem to also share those same attributes, examples: Bob Hope and Dick Van Dyke.

Lots of memories for me from the Carter years, as a mid-to-late teen during those times. I wonder if the killer rabbit is going to get any mention at his memorial service? In the meantime, I do hope they turn the thermostat up to 72 to make his last days comfortable.

why is it good?
A Republican (Trumpist) administration would take the opportunity to trash Carter if he died on their watch. Just as they trash anyone who has legitimately earned the respect Trump and his ilk so crave, and that they will never attain.
Racist MAGAtards will never understand or appreciate the good that comes from such a man. Their world is too full of division and hate and fear and ignorance to ever realize that the good that came from Carter was good for them as well. And I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to change.

The first presidential campaign I was old enough to vote in was 1980. I was studiously bipartisan at the time. I voted for Reagan, because I thought Jimmy "The Christian" Carter just wasn't up to the task. He was too nice.

42 years later I've come to realize how wrong I was then. His combination of ethics, integrity, and an honest willingness to serve all Americans makes him the best President in U.S. history, IMNSHO.
Tom

Lots of memories for me from the Carter years, as a mid-to-late teen during those times. I wonder if the killer rabbit is going to get any mention at his memorial service? In the meantime, I do hope they turn the thermostat up to 72 to make his last days comfortable.

Animal attacks are no joke. I was attacked by a berserk goose. Demanding I share my Subway sandwich, it attempted to take large chunks of flesh out of my leg. I had no choice but to go toe to toe with it, such as it was. It started flapping wildly as did I. I finally caught it with a right to the side of the head. I'm glad the only witness was my young daughter. This being California, I think I could have gotten 3-5.
Of all the things my daughter remembers of her childhood, The Battle at Miramar Lake stands prominent.

Dude, stepped into a room with a melting down nuclear reactor and he survived the Pepsi Syndrome. Guy had more balls than any of us.

Back
Top Bottom