• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Kapaernick

If the police have their panties in a wad over the piggy socks, they need to grow a pair and stop acting like little snowflakes.
Another misuse of the term snowflake.
They have a lot of power, which they often use recklessly, but little piggy socks are making them feel impotent and attacked? Seriously? That's just pitiful. I'd like to believe that the better police officers among us are not so easily bothered by something so trivial.
You must admit those are pretty insulting socks. And those who defend them like you or joedad all seem to have the same negative attitude toward police.

And since I haven't stood for the pledge or that stupid anthem since I was 18, I don't understand why anyone would be bothered by this gentle type of protest, other than those that hate free speech. Anyone paying attention should realize that there are lots of things that need to be protested these days.
If you want to protest do it on your own time, wearing your own clothes. Then you can even wear your childish socks without anybody caring.

Ravens didn't sign him because they can't afford him,
If nobody wants to hire him, wouldn't that cause his market price to drop toward league minimum?
and he doesn't fit their offense;
I would not know about that, but even if he fit their defense like a non-OJ glove, his girlfriend comparing the team owner to a slaveholder definitely sunk his chances. It is generally not a good strategy to insult you prospective employer.
BTW, he's getting plenty of support from military and ex-military, who understand the actual rights they were fighting to defend.
Again, one of the isues is that he insists on protesting while on company time, wearing company uniform.
Content (anti-police, pro-#BLM) is an issue too, but content should and does not affect his right to protest. If he was protesting on his own time, there would likely be no problem.

Last edited:
Maybe the real reason he's not getting signed-on is because the NFL is racist (well, according to the NAACP, anyway):

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCm0tDhan4Y[/YOUTUBE]

If nobody wants to hire him, wouldn't that cause his market price to drop toward league minimum?
and he doesn't fit their offense;
I would not know about that, but even if he fit their defense like a non-OJ glove, his girlfriend comparing the team owner to a slaveholder definitely sunk his chances. It is generally not a good strategy to insult you prospective employer.
BTW, he's getting plenty of support from military and ex-military, who understand the actual rights they were fighting to defend.
Again, one of the isues is that he insists on protesting while on company times, wearing company uniform.
Content (anti-police, pro-#BLM) is an issue too, but content should and does not affect his right to protest. If he was protesting on his own time, there would likely be no problem.

He still gets to decide how much he'll play for. His lack of employment may just be due to unrealistic demands. Teams may be more willing to pay once some QBs get injured.

Glad to hear about the officers who supported the player's protest for upholding civil rights.

It's one thing to protest injustice, it's quite another to claim to be a victim while supporting inequalty.

The problem is that he wore the socks as part of his 49ers uniform. And it's a completely unnuanced, anti-police message.
And 100% peaceful. Kudos to Kap.

Why do you think what he does is "very serious" or "necessary". Please elaborate.
Note also that he started this only after he started dating his crazy-ass girlfriend.
My understanding is that he is bringing attention to double standards of equality in the US. If years ago his evil muslim girlfriend piqued his interest in same perhaps you need the same type toots.

I would say law enforcement is a much more serious and necessary endeavor than Kaep's sophomoric protest. And some police officers are paying the ultimate price for their service.
But you calling police "piggies" says a lot about your world view.
Not talking about police day jobs here. The ones who do it well and without discriminating against minorities certainly get my nod. We're talking here about ceremonial duties. Please stay on topic.

Again, one of the isues is that he insists on protesting while on company time, wearing company uniform.

Your regressive rightist leanings are showing. A company cannot force you to sing to a flag, thank the gods when you score a goal, or salute Hitler. What you do during those personal moments on company time are completely up to you in America. If you don't like that, then go live in Saudi Arabia.

His company didn't have a problem with it. Nor did the league. Both made public statements recognizing his right to not stand.

Tonight and Sunday should be extremely interesting after the incident with Michael Bennett (Seahawks player) in Vegas. Lots of video cameras around (at last count, 126!), just in case the bodycams had a mass "malfunction". True to form, the Vegas PD union president has already published his knee-jerk response, asking the NFL to investigate Bennett (LOL) for his "obvious false allegations" against the officers. How, you might ask, would he know that the allegations are obviously false? Since he wasn't there, and couldn't have seen all of the video yet, the only answer is that he expects us to believe that police officers do no wrong.

Which is exactly what Kaepernick was protesting about.

Even the NFL commissioner, who would probably have made a great plantation owner in the 1850's, has come out in support of Bennett. That alone is just remarkable. Maybe Bennett made it all up; maybe he exaggerated it. But I can't help feeling that we're getting close to the day when they stop playing the national anthem before NFL games because all of the players are taking a knee. Maybe then Kap will get a job, because he won't stand out.

Just to be clear, the Cleveland PD Union head also blamed Tamir Rice for his own murder, so fuck that guy.

Tucker Carlson runs Daily Caller, so fuck him, too.

Having said that, the Cleveland police chief emphatically rejected the Union's call for a boycott.

Tonight and Sunday should be extremely interesting after the incident with Michael Bennett (Seahawks player) in Vegas. Lots of video cameras around (at last count, 126!), just in case the bodycams had a mass "malfunction". True to form, the Vegas PD union president has already published his knee-jerk response, asking the NFL to investigate Bennett (LOL) for his "obvious false allegations" against the officers. How, you might ask, would he know that the allegations are obviously false? Since he wasn't there, and couldn't have seen all of the video yet, the only answer is that he expects us to believe that police officers do no wrong.

Which is exactly what Kaepernick was protesting about.

Even the NFL commissioner, who would probably have made a great plantation owner in the 1850's, has come out in support of Bennett. That alone is just remarkable. Maybe Bennett made it all up; maybe he exaggerated it. But I can't help feeling that we're getting close to the day when they stop playing the national anthem before NFL games because all of the players are taking a knee. Maybe then Kap will get a job, because he won't stand out.

The article I read had the PD stating that getting the police officer's body cam footage would take great time and effort. Whatever the fuck that was supposed to mean escapes me. Likely in the future we'll see body cam footage that has been edited for purposes of public safety. What a load of shit.

Then why isn't he still playing for the 49ers?
Both made public statements recognizing his right to not stand.
But obviously the teams are not liking the distraction that his on-the-job activism provides.

He chose to opt out of his contract with the 49ers & be a free agent.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/1/14599712/colin-kaepernick-contract-opt-out-49ers-free-agent

I cannot say I sympathize with him.

I think that it's possible, but not definite, that at least some teams think that what he brings to the team isn't enough to counter any controversy they'll get for signing him. Others may be a case of him not fitting the system that they want to run or they think a different quarterback would be a better fit.

Then why isn't he still playing for the 49ers?

But obviously the teams are not liking the distraction that his on-the-job activism provides.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/3/1/14599712/colin-kaepernick-contract-opt-out-49ers-free-agent

I think that it's possible, but not definite, that at least some teams think that what he brings to the team isn't enough to counter any controversy they'll get for signing him. Others may be a case of him not fitting the system that they want to run or they think a different quarterback would be a better fit.

I'm only being a little bit facetious when I say that if Kaep really wanted to play again, he could smack his girlfriend around a bit, get arrested on weapons charges, or abuse some animals and he'd be let right back in.

Among other things, the below discusses why the amount of money he's made has nothing to do with this discussion.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26qaPji01V0[/YOUTUBE]

I didn't know about the socks. Were they worn during an actual game or just a practice? I think they may be in poor taste, but that's about all I think he's guilty of with those, because while of course there are (more than a few) bad apples in police departments across the country, there are plenty of good cops. As has already been pointed out here, there are cops (and veterans too, myself included) who back him in his protest.

I'm only being a little bit facetious when I say that if Kaep really wanted to play again, he could smack his girlfriend around a bit, get arrested on weapons charges, or abuse some animals and he'd be let right back in.

Exactly. Unless he does it on video (ala Ray Rice). The Cowboys and Bengals have hired the scum of the Earth, with the league's blessing, but suddenly they're concerned about fan reaction? Sorry, no.

Exactly. Unless he does it on video (ala Ray Rice). The Cowboys and Bengals have hired the scum of the Earth, with the league's blessing, but suddenly they're concerned about fan reaction? Sorry, no.

Well, the difference here is that he's a QB. In the NFL, it's fine to be a controversial LB or Corner. But a backup QB is expected to put the team first, support management and the starter QB, and be quiet. No NFL team want's a backup who will outshine the starter. My team, the Seahawks, was very interested in signing him. But we interviewed him. Found out that he wants to be a starter. Or he wants starter money. Well, we have Wilson. Colin isn't nearly as good as Wilson.

Colin is essentially a black Tim Teabow. Not very good. Good enough to be a backup. But he carries so much baggage that most teams don't want the drama. Teams will put up with drama, if you're very very good.

Well, the difference here is that he's a QB. In the NFL, it's fine to be a controversial LB or Corner. But a backup QB is expected to put the team first, support management and the starter QB, and be quiet. No NFL team want's a backup who will outshine the starter. My team, the Seahawks, was very interested in signing him. But we interviewed him. Found out that he wants to be a starter. Or he wants starter money. Well, we have Wilson. Colin isn't nearly as good as Wilson.

Colin is essentially a black Tim Teabow. Not very good. Good enough to be a backup. But he carries so much baggage that most teams don't want the drama. Teams will put up with drama, if you're very very good.

Okay, but if he cried patriot tears during the anthem instead of quietly kneeling or whatever, that kind of drama would be accepted. The real issue is that he's not politically correct. Conservatives and other assorted right-wingers don't like it when the term "politically correct" refers to what is literally politically correct such as institutional support for prayer or nationalistic worship but it's the real reality since it is so overwhelming. I mean, there was a prayer at my high school graduation many years ago and that was real drama that people were engaged in, synchronized with one another. If someone did not like the god drama and chose to be a non-conformist, they'd be ostracized and a pariah. This is pretty much the same thing.

Among other things, the below discusses why the amount of money he's made has nothing to do with this discussion.

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26qaPji01V0[/YOUTUBE]

I didn't know about the socks. Were they worn during an actual game or just a practice? I think they may be in poor taste, but that's about all I think he's guilty of with those, because while of course there are (more than a few) bad apples in police departments across the country, there are plenty of good cops. As has already been pointed out here, there are cops (and veterans too, myself included) who back him in his protest.

Ore, one could simply look at Michael Bennet's treatment this week.

Back
Top Bottom