• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Kapaernick

I confess that I did not realize he was black until all this started. Before the fro he didn't look very black, and Colin Kaepernick from Wisconsin sounds like a white guy.
He is half-black biologically and adopted by white parents (hence the name).

So can anyone explain the difference between Kapaernick (and some other football players) taking a knee and when Tebow took a knee?
So which NFL franchise is he throwing the prolate spheroid for again?
Or when football players in my high school ( many years ago) took a knee (in prayer)? Is it because some of Kapaernick is black?
No. If you do an quick google image search for "NFL player praying on field" you will find a number of black players who take the knee in prayer (like Tebow) and remained unremarked upon.
It was that he was protesting against his country (by proxy of the anthem) that people took issue with Kaep.

I think it's because he's black.
You always think that.

- - - Updated - - -

Needless to say, potential employers do not look kindly upon politicking while representing their team.

Which is exactly why you never get to hear the national anthem in a stadium. :D

How is that remotely the same thing? Is the anthem somehow controversial politically?

Ore, one could simply look at Michael Bennet's treatment this week.
You don't know if he is lying or telling the truth, but somehow you know he was mistreated?

And that video was ridiculous. The chick is absolutely right. These guys make 10s of millions of dollars. That Kaep can't find another QB gig in the league is not really a civil rights issue.
Also, they implied (in an obnoxiously condescending way) that people have a problem with #BLM "peacefully protesting". Nope. People have problem with
- rioting, looting, arson and blocking highways that has accompanied most #BLM protests.
- the content of their protest, i.e. demand that cops be "brought to justice" even in cases where they did nothing wrong.

Those two things are quite separate. One can protest for the right cause the wrong way, or for the wrong cause the right way. Often, #BLM's fail in both. But even when their protests stay peaceful, they are still wrong cause-wise because they tend to lump all police shootings of black people together, as if they were all unjustified.

Actually Kaep and Timbow are the same, but opposite sides of the political spectrum. Both are very average QBs, but could probably have an okay career as a backup. But both are unemployed because of they placed their politics above the football. They are also similar in that people think that Tebow isn't playing because Football guys hate Christians; and Kaep isn't playing because they hate anti-anthem people! The real deal is that football is like a religion. And people who don't toe the football line, don't get a job - unless they are very very talented.

LOL, Tebow couldn't reach average with a ladder. Kap led his team to within one play of a championship.

You think that leading a team to one playoff victory defines greatness in the NFL? Tebow won one also. Even the most ardent defenders of Kap agree that at best, he's an slightly below average QB. Who cares if he's slightly better than Tebow. The point is that both are good enough to be at least backups in the NFL, but both have been blackballed due to their interests that are outside of football.

Can I dislike both Kaepernick and the national anthem at games?

Ore, one could simply look at Michael Bennet's treatment this week.
You don't know if he is lying or telling the truth, but somehow you know he was mistreated?

Through both his claim, and the simple fact that all evidence, and the word of the police, back him up - which is particularly hilarious given that the police, and their (disgusting, as always) union, were attempting to protect the cops involved.

And that video was ridiculous. The chick is absolutely right. These guys make 10s of millions of dollars. That Kaep can't find another QB gig in the league is not really a civil rights issue.

This is essentially stating that no wealthy person should protest, fundraise, or hold fundraisers for anyone less fortunate than them because, hey, who cares about the less fortunate? It's a phenomenally selfish view, and only serves to portray Tammy as a sociopath who is confused by the very concept of charity. And in terms of how racism works, it also displays a complete ignorance of US history and society.

But that's pretty normal for conservative commentary, isn't it?

In reality, it's of course about the commentators' open hostility towards people who aren't white, but to show that, I'd have to go through all the times this unpleasant woman has showed up on my Youtube and Twitter feeds, and I'd rather not because...well, she's unpleasant.

Also, they implied (in an obnoxiously condescending way) that people have a problem with #BLM "peacefully protesting". Nope.

Yep. But this thread is not for your obsession with BLM, so I removed the rest.

He did not really do that. He
a) protested his country, by proxy of protesting the national anthem.

So what?

b) protested police by wearing insulting socks depicting police as pigs.

Which they are in many cases, especially with regards to their failed war on drugs. So what? Police blindly throw people in jail for minor drug possession. You're concerned about this guy's socks?

Donald Trump can give a speech encouraging cops to act with as much force as they'd like to, Derec doesn't bat an eye. A guy wears some socks that are insulting to cops, and he loses his mind!

Last edited:
So what?

b) protested police by wearing insulting socks depicting police as pigs.

Which they are in many cases, especially with regards to their failed war on drugs. So what? Police blindly throw people in jail for minor drug possession. You're concerned about this guy's socks?

Right wing authoritarian followers can support the most heinous of treatment of whole swaths of humankind without a blink, but bad werdz or not worshiping their unexamined symbols triggers them deeply.

Exactly. Unless he does it on video (ala Ray Rice). The Cowboys and Bengals have hired the scum of the Earth, with the league's blessing, but suddenly they're concerned about fan reaction? Sorry, no.

Well, the difference here is that he's a QB. In the NFL, it's fine to be a controversial LB or Corner. But a backup QB is expected to put the team first, support management and the starter QB, and be quiet. No NFL team want's a backup who will outshine the starter. My team, the Seahawks, was very interested in signing him. But we interviewed him. Found out that he wants to be a starter. Or he wants starter money. Well, we have Wilson. Colin isn't nearly as good as Wilson.

Colin is essentially a black Tim Teabow. Not very good. Good enough to be a backup. But he carries so much baggage that most teams don't want the drama. Teams will put up with drama, if you're very very good.
Yeaouch! Tebow was a gimmick QB. Kaepernick did much much better than Tebow (it could be argued Tebow never had much of a career to even compare by). In the 2016 season, the 49ers defense gave up fewer than 30 points in a game twice in their first 8 games, averaging 32.5 points. The defense was ranked 32nd in the league.

Kaepernick isn't Montana, but comparing him with the likes of Tebow is just unfair.

Looks like he'll have to wait at least another week. No QB injuries yesterday, and the ones who played poorly either had an atypically bad day, or are backed up by a high draft pick who can be thrown into the fire.

True, Mixon does have a job. I guess I should amend my statement to say that you shouldn't be the first guy to do X on video (or at the game). The league can blackball you to show how seriously they take issue X, while bringing in other guys. Same with Kap being the first.

"The league" is not blackballing anyone. Each individual team in its own capacity is making the decision not to hire them.

Just like they are not hiring you and me and 99.999% of the other people on earth to play for them.

No, not "Just like they not hiring your and me". They aren't hiring us because we have zero ability to play. They are each individually deciding not to hire Kap, but its solely because they know that a large % of the NFL fanbase are so brainlessly authoritarian that they get more upset by someone disobeying a tradition of worshiping the military (which is all the Anthem has become) than if they beat the crap out or rape women.

Donald Trump can give a speech encouraging cops to act with as much force as they'd like to, Derec doesn't bat an eye. A guy wears some socks that are insulting to cops, and he loses his mind!

Well Trump is a white authoritarian idiot that abuses women so Derec will be inclined to agree with him.

I am neither an idiot, an authoritarian (that is more in line with people who want to ban their citizens seeing nude women, like for example governments of Iran or Iceland), abuse women nor generally agree with Trump.
I am white but 20% is a horrible batting average.

A guy wears some socks that are insulting to cops, and he loses his mind!
I do not think me mentioning the socks comes within a parsec of "losing one's mind". If anything, the pro-Kaep crown is a lot more excitable.

tumblr_mcyeksuHdq1rezavlo6_250.gif

Besides, what does Trump have to do with this thread? Kaep started his "protest" well before his election, remember?

Last edited:
A guy wears some socks that are insulting to cops, and he loses his mind!
I do not think me mentioning the socks comes within a parsec of "losing one's mind". If anything, the pro-Kaep crown is a lot more excitable.

tumblr_mcyeksuHdq1rezavlo6_250.gif

Besides, what does Trump have to do with this thread? Kaep started his "protest" well before his election, remember?

The fact that you think they're in any way a problem means you have lost your mind. You get just as triggered as the "SJW snowflakes" you despise.

The fact that you think they're in any way a problem means you have lost your mind. You get just as triggered as the "SJW snowflakes" you despise.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone expressing their political views on their own time. However the workplace is no place to do it. Would you hire someone to present to your broad range of customers that insisted on expressing their opinion on controversial political topics to your customers, alienating half of them?

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone expressing their political views on their own time. However the workplace is no place to do it.

Then tell the workplaces to stop playing national anthem with jets flying overhead and forcing their workers to worship the flag. Unless, you mean, the workplace is only a place to conform to the bosses political views?

Back
Top Bottom