• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Kapaernick

JohnG

Basic Beliefs
Non- theist
Just want to make sure I'm clear on this. The guy protests racial inequality, and now the police are protesting his actions by refusing to participate in a pre game ceremony.

Instead of saying "Yes, we must stop racism and shooting unarmed people within our ranks", they are saying "F*** you fof having a problem with that".

Just wanted to be clear.

Just want to make sure I'm clear on this. The guy protests racial inequality,
He did not really do that. He
a) protested his country, by proxy of protesting the national anthem.
b) protested police by wearing insulting socks depicting police as pigs.
kaepsocks2.jpg

He did both not at his own time, but while "on the clock" for his employer. Needless to say, potential employers do not look kindly upon politicking while representing their team.

And note that this country whose anthem he so dispises is the country that gave him the opportunity to make millions of dollars just for throwing an egg-shaped object (that the devotees of the sport insist should be called a "ball" because reasons) to other millionaires.

Note also that the reason he can make millions for throwing inflated pigskins1 around is solely because people pay to watch him do it, not because of any intrinsic value throwing of pigskins1 generates. As such, any behavior that alienates a large portion of his potential fan base is frowned upon by employers.

and now the police are protesting his actions by refusing to participate in a pre game ceremony.
Are they now? Do you have a link? Kaepernick is currently not playing in the NFL, unless things changed recently.

Instead of saying "Yes, we must stop racism and shooting unarmed people within our ranks", they are saying "F*** you for having a problem with that".
I do not see how what Kaepernick did would do anything to stop racism. And as far as "shooting unarmed people" goes, an unarmed perp is not necessary not a threat. Many such shootings are justified. The prototypical #BLM shooting case was Michael Brown and that was justified even though he was technically unarmed.

Just wanted to be clear.
I think you are seeing this issue through glass darkly. I hope I could clarify some things for you.

1 Just like with "ball", the term "pigskin" is as inaccurate as it is widespread.

Last edited:
I can defend all of it except the pig cop socks. What a maroon Kap is. Is he fucking an anti police chick or something?

I can defend all of it except the pig cop socks.
Fair enough. But even without pig socks I think the team owners are right to worry of effects his antics have on their fan base and their spending.
What a maroon Kap is. Is he fucking an anti police chick or something?
He seems to have done it for the pussy. He only started his activism after he started dating this "Muslim" chick. And she is a piece of work.
CLASSY: Kaepernick's Girlfriend Compares NFL Owners to Slaveholders, Ray Lewis to 'House Negroes'
She basically compared him to a slave owner. Because things antebellum slave owners were know for were entering into voluntary contracts with their slaves and paying them the 1800s equivalent of millions of dollars. Yeah.
And then people wonder why Ravens (and other teams) weren't that eager to sign Kaep.

She is pretty though.
AP861275233469.jpg

But is that enough to land her above the Vicky Mendoza diagonal? Not sure.
DhHYBhi.gif

Just want to make sure I'm clear on this. The guy protests racial inequality, and now the police are protesting his actions by refusing to participate in a pre game ceremony.

Instead of saying "Yes, we must stop racism and shooting unarmed people within our ranks", they are saying "F*** you fof having a problem with that".

Just wanted to be clear.

Hummmm. First off, I support Colin's right to protest. As an aside, I hear that he is a great guy. But are you surprised that there are some people protesting back? I don't think that the police are paid very well at games.

https://www.google.ca/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1BE14P

Here is a link to the counter protest. I dont think it matters how much money they are paid, or the details of the players job. And I think protesting a govt that is lenient on civil rights abuses is justified. After all was he wrong? Did The POTUS not call those who stood with Natzis "fine people"?

Seeing a counter protest (by police) against those intentions - whether well executed or not - is disturbing.

He's being punished for not respecting some song properly. And the police are protesting because he was allowed to do what he wanted when some song was playing.

Insanity.

https://www.google.ca/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1BE14P

Here is a link to the counter protest. I dont think it matters how much money they are paid, or the details of the players job. And I think protesting a govt that is lenient on civil rights abuses is justified. After all was he wrong? Did The POTUS not call those who stood with Natzis "fine people"?

Seeing a counter protest (by police) against those intentions - whether well executed or not - is disturbing.

Well, if protesting bothers you, you're going to be in for a bad year! There's a lot of fucking things that I'm going to protest. How about Trump deciding to send 800,000 law abiding Mexicans to mexico, separating them from their families? We're talking about separating mothers and fathers from their children. How about protesting the fact that Trump pulled us out of the Paris accord, dooming the planet? Why do I mention this, because Colin didn't even vote in 2016. I'm ignoring anyone who is too lazy to vote and not being worthy to debate.

Just to be clear, police aren't protesting Kapaernick here. The Cleveland police union, specifically, is protesting 12 Browns players who emulated Kapaernick by kneeling during the national anthem.

During their Week 2 preseason game on Monday night against the Giants, a dozen Browns players went to a knee during the national anthem in the largest protest from a group of football players the NFL has seen. The presence of tight end Seth DeValve, one of the first white players to take a knee, had a profound impact on many who saw the protest.

The Cleveland Police Union, however, did not take kindly to the display from the Browns and is now refusing to hold the American flag during the first Browns regular season game in protest of the protest from the Browns players
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ld-flag-after-ignorant-browns-anthem-protest/

What I find highly ironic is that the dumb-shit union president is pissed off that the Brown's players are "disrespecting" the national anthem, so he shows his displeasure by refusing to carry the American flag... exactly the same sort of "disrespect" he is bloviating against the Brown's players for.

The weirdest part is that the Cleveland police department is distancing itself from what the union is saying/doing:

What makes things really dicey from an optics and public-police relationship standpoint is that the union does not represent the police department. And the police department is making that clear.

"The union does not speak for the Division," spokesperson Jennifer Ciaccia told the Huffington Post. "The Division of Police is in no way boycotting the Browns, nor denying participation in events with our officers."

Meanwhile, 80 New York police officers rallied in support of Kaepernick and his message:

Dozens of current and retired officers from the New York Police Department rallied on Saturday morning in support of Colin Kaepernick, the former San Francisco 49ers player lionized and reviled for refusing to stand during the national anthem.

The gathering in Brooklyn Bridge Park was organized by Sgt. Edwin Raymond and attended by about 80 officers who wore black T-shirts emblazoned with “#IMWITHKAP.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/19/sports/football/colin-kaepernick-nypd-rally.html

And then people wonder why Ravens (and other teams) weren't that eager to sign Kaep.

Ravens didn't sign him because they can't afford him, and he doesn't fit their offense; if they could, and if he did, I'm 99.9% sure they would have dumped their worthless backup QB and signed him. One or both of those reasons is keeping at least half the teams from signing him. Other teams are satisfied with their QBs. But there are almost certainly a couple of teams that should have brought him in during training camp, unless his contract demands are unreasonable.

If his skills haven't eroded, he would probably fit in with Buffalo's offense. Their starting QB is still out with a concussion, and they have the salary cap space to bring him in.

BTW, he's getting plenty of support from military and ex-military, who understand the actual rights they were fighting to defend.

Ravens didn't sign him because they can't afford him, and he doesn't fit their offense; if they could, and if he did, I'm 99.9% sure they would have dumped their worthless backup QB and signed him. One or both of those reasons is keeping at least half the teams from signing him. Other teams are satisfied with their QBs. But there are almost certainly a couple of teams that should have brought him in during training camp, unless his contract demands are unreasonable.

If his skills haven't eroded, he would probably fit in with Buffalo's offense. Their starting QB is still out with a concussion, and they have the salary cap space to bring him in.

BTW, he's getting plenty of support from military and ex-military, who understand the actual rights they were fighting to defend.

There are many police who agree with Colin's right to protest as well. Actually, I would say that it's a very small minority that are actively protesting against Colin. But the anti-protestors are getting all the pub.

If the police have their panties in a wad over the piggy socks, they need to grow a pair and stop acting like little snowflakes. They have a lot of power, which they often use recklessly, but little piggy socks are making them feel impotent and attacked? Seriously? That's just pitiful. I'd like to believe that the better police officers among us are not so easily bothered by something so trivial.

And since I haven't stood for the pledge or that stupid anthem since I was 18, I don't understand why anyone would be bothered by this gentle type of protest, other than those that hate free speech. Anyone paying attention should realize that there are lots of things that need to be protested these days.

If the police have their panties in a wad over the piggy socks, they need to grow a pair and stop acting like little snowflakes. They have a lot of power, which they often use recklessly, but little piggy socks are making them feel impotent and attacked? Seriously? That's just pitiful. I'd like to believe that the better police officers among us are not so easily bothered by something so trivial.

And since I haven't stood for the pledge or that stupid anthem since I was 18, I don't understand why anyone would be bothered by this gentle type of protest, other than those that hate free speech. Anyone paying attention should realize that there are lots of things that need to be protested these days.

That is so true. If you've got time to be bothered by something so trivial as what's on someone's socks you really need a life.

Colin on the other hand is doing something very serious and necessary - and paying the price. The little piggies are doing neither. The little piggies maybe got their feelings hurt so cry me a river. If the little piggies cannot understand that Kap's actions are the embodiment of what that flag represents that's their sad misfortune.

*jumping up and down* Hey! Hey! Pay attention to me! Look at me!
:rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear, police aren't protesting Kapaernick here. The Cleveland police union, specifically, is protesting 12 Browns players who emulated Kapaernick by kneeling during the national anthem.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ld-flag-after-ignorant-browns-anthem-protest/

What I find highly ironic is that the dumb-shit union president is pissed off that the Brown's players are "disrespecting" the national anthem, so he shows his displeasure by refusing to carry the American flag... exactly the same sort of "disrespect" he is bloviating against the Brown's players for.

The weirdest part is that the Cleveland police department is distancing itself from what the union is saying/doing:

What makes things really dicey from an optics and public-police relationship standpoint is that the union does not represent the police department. And the police department is making that clear.

"The union does not speak for the Division," spokesperson Jennifer Ciaccia told the Huffington Post. "The Division of Police is in no way boycotting the Browns, nor denying participation in events with our officers."

Meanwhile, 80 New York police officers rallied in support of Kaepernick and his message:

Dozens of current and retired officers from the New York Police Department rallied on Saturday morning in support of Colin Kaepernick, the former San Francisco 49ers player lionized and reviled for refusing to stand during the national anthem.

The gathering in Brooklyn Bridge Park was organized by Sgt. Edwin Raymond and attended by about 80 officers who wore black T-shirts emblazoned with “#IMWITHKAP.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/19/sports/football/colin-kaepernick-nypd-rally.html
My social media response to this Cleveland police protest.
Oh noes! Another taking a knee incident. Disrespectful to the military, the flag, the anthem? The anthem is a 4 octave abomination riddled with needless punctuation (why can't America the Beautiful be our anthem?). The flag is a piece of fabric that is desecrated by many American 'patriots' who flying them from their car, don't hear complaints about that. The military? Shall we say any protest is a mockery of the military?
Amazing how a silent and brief protest against Neo-nazi and KKK marches is somehow pissing people off and not the Neo-Nazis and KKK.
Wanna talk insulting the military? How about whining about how the Neo-Nazis have a right to free speech and the black athletes don't? Remember that whole war thing in the 40's (late 30's and 40's for those across the ponds)? The many Americans that died in the valiant fight against the Nazi's? Yeah, defending a Neo-Nazi's right to protest and yell for genocide is an insult to the Greatest Generation, not taking a damn knee.

That is so true. If you've got time to be bothered by something so trivial as what's on someone's socks you really need a life.
The problem is that he wore the socks as part of his 49ers uniform. And it's a completely unnuanced, anti-police message.
Colin on the other hand is doing something very serious and necessary
Why do you think what he does is "very serious" or "necessary". Please elaborate.
Note also that he started this only after he started dating his crazy-ass girlfriend.

So this protest is result of him thinking with his little head, not his big head.
Kaepernick’s Support Of Black Lives Matter Began After Dating Activist DJ

and paying the price.
He is only paying the price because he is doing political activism while he is representing his team.

The little piggies are doing neither.
I would say law enforcement is a much more serious and necessary endeavor than Kaep's sophomoric protest. And some police officers are paying the ultimate price for their service.
But you calling police "piggies" says a lot about your world view.
If the little piggies cannot understand that Kap's actions are the embodiment of what that flag represents that's their sad misfortune.
The flag represents being anti-police?

I'm pretty sure it is Derec and a couple of others here on this thread having conniptions about the socks. Not even the Cleveland Police Union president said anything about the socks. :p

My social media response to this Cleveland police protest.
Oh noes! Another taking a knee incident. Disrespectful to the military, the flag, the anthem? The anthem is a 4 octave abomination riddled with needless punctuation (why can't America the Beautiful be our anthem?).
Because it is too recent. It was written in 1910, and while Star Sprangled Banner did not become official anthem until 1930, it had a history of being used as a de facto anthem preceding writing of ATB. More directly though, Congress voted to make SSB national anthem and did not vote on any such bill concerning ATB.
The flag is a piece of fabric that is desecrated by many American 'patriots' who flying them from their car, don't hear complaints about that.
I guess it is intent that counts. Just like you can burn the flag to respectfully dispose of worn out one, or you can burn it to show the World just how much you hate America.
But speaking of unorthodox uses of the flag, I found this picture funny.
a-singlehijabcan-help-clothe-6-americans-panther95-donate-your-hijab-19525091.png

Amazing how a silent and brief protest against Neo-nazi and KKK marches is somehow pissing people off and not the Neo-Nazis and KKK.

Who claimed that? You are arguing against straw men!
How about whining about how the Neo-Nazis have a right to free speech and the black athletes don't?
Huh? Everybody has the same free speech rights. Did the government come after Kaep? No. He was not signed by teams after he was released by the 49ers.
Many of the Charlottesville white supremacist marchers lost their jobs (example) as well, even though they, unlike Kaep, who protested while in uniform and while representing the team.
So it is quite ridiculous to say that "Neo-Nazis have a right to free speech and the black athletes don't". It is not backed by any facts whatsoever.
Remember that whole war thing in the 40's (late 30's and 40's for those across the ponds)? The many Americans that died in the valiant fight against the Nazi's?
It's "Nazis". "Nazi's" is possessive singular, i.e. something that relates or belongs to an individual Nazi. For example "That Nazi's rifle was a StG 44".
And yes, Nazis are bad, but that does not mean that every left-wing protest is righteous. Stalin fought against Nazis too (after Hitler broke the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact), but he was (almost) as bad.

Yeah, defending a Neo-Nazi's right to protest and yell for genocide is an insult to the Greatest Generation, not taking a damn knee.
Everybody has a right to protest. First Amendment and all that. #BLMers weren't arrested for demanding death of police officers either ("What do we want? Dead cops! When do we want it? Now!" in NYC or "Pigs in a blanket, fry them like bacon!" in Minneapolis) but normally employers do not look too kindly on you insisting to protest while representing your employer and wearing your uniform. When Kaep wears his 49ers outfit he represents the 49ers.

Back
Top Bottom