• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Krysten Sinema Leaves Democratic Party

She was wearing a tight-fitting yellow dress that had big flared sleeves and that showed her arms.

She dressed like a sheep for Davos, she dressed like a flower for the SOTU speech, what will she dress like next? A mushroom?

She got comments like:
Kyrsten Sinema……tell me you’re desperate for attention without telling me you’re desperate for attention.

I feel so bad for every DEM who voted for Kyrsten Sinema. Can you imagine not being able to get a refund for THAT?

Why did Kyrsten Sinema wear her Big Bird floaties to the State of the Union? Was she expecting a water landing?

Who wore it best? Kysten Sinema or LaLa [sic]? (me: the yellow Teletubby)

“Did the airbags on Kyrsten Sinema’s outfit deploy during the State of the Union?

Kyrsten Sinema got confused and thought this was the Grammys

"I’m just honored to be nominated." -Krysten Sinema on her State of the Union nomination for Best Supporting Actress in a Live Circus Performance
Lee Midkiff on Twitter: "Kyrsten Sinema seeking attention at the #StateOfTheUnion… (pic link)" / Twitter
A picture of Big Bird in some audience.

🇺🇸 Tariff Free Ted 🌐🇺🇦 on Twitter: "@LeeMidkiff1 You know, if she clapped too fast she'd fly away.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (vid link - KS clapping)" / Twitter

She was wearing a tight-fitting yellow dress that had big flared sleeves and that showed her arms.

She dressed like a sheep for Davos, she dressed like a flower for the SOTU speech, what will she dress like next? A mushroom?

She got comments like:
Kyrsten Sinema……tell me you’re desperate for attention without telling me you’re desperate for attention.

I feel so bad for every DEM who voted for Kyrsten Sinema. Can you imagine not being able to get a refund for THAT?

Why did Kyrsten Sinema wear her Big Bird floaties to the State of the Union? Was she expecting a water landing?

Who wore it best? Kysten Sinema or LaLa [sic]? (me: the yellow Teletubby)

“Did the airbags on Kyrsten Sinema’s outfit deploy during the State of the Union?

Kyrsten Sinema got confused and thought this was the Grammys

"I’m just honored to be nominated." -Krysten Sinema on her State of the Union nomination for Best Supporting Actress in a Live Circus Performance
Well, the good news for women is that.... wait... I've got nothing for good news.

Still talking about how a woman dresses?! Did she dress, yes. Okay, we're good, don't need to carry any further on it. If she were naked or dressed like Miley Cyrus, ie well outside business decorum, this is a subject that wouldn't be the basis for women rolling their eyes thinking "the guys are doing it again".

Really, people? The country is falling to fucking pieces, and the most important thing you can think to do about it is gatekeep women's clothing?

We may have a budding insurrection, a war abroad, a federal reserve strategically disemploying the populace, and civil rights issues that would make 1978 blink, but at least in the world of Capitol Hill fashion, we still have the full might of the moderate "left" to tell us how to fucking dress. Not too flamboyantly, I guess is the rule?

Jesus Christ.

I like Opinion | Let's Discuss What Sinema Is Wearing - The New York Times - Oct. 29, 2021 - by Tressie McMillan Cottom
Tressie McMillan Cottom (@tressiemcphd) is an associate professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Information and Library Science, the author of “Thick: And Other Essays” and a 2020 MacArthur fellow.

She noted
Sen. Kyrsten Sinema wore a denim vest to preside over the U.S. Senate
“Does she think this is a (expletive) rodeo?” one person asked on Twitter. More politically, another person tweeted, “How is it possible that the dress code for my $18.00/hr job is SIGNIFICANTLY MORE FORMAL than it is for a person presiding over the U.S. Senate?”
Jeremy Art on Twitter: "CLIP: Denim vest presiding in the U.S. Senate. (vid link of KS)" / Twitter
From that azcentral article:
Sinema often uses fashion to make political statements. From the start of her stint in the Senate, in fact, where her outfit made headlines. I described it at the time as “a pink coat worn over a sleeveless white blouse with matching bracelet and flower-print skirt; she also wore a fur-looking thingamajig over her shoulders for the actual swearing-in.”

Again, no fashion expert here. But Sinema was clearly announcing that she would be her own person, not beholden to stodgy tradition.

And how. She’s shown that, time and again.

Back to TMC.
Given the high legislative stakes, it is easy to treat Sinema’s aesthetics as unimportant. But those aesthetics are part of the way she courts, manipulates and plays with public attention as a political figure. Politicians are part of the cultural and economic elite. Their choices are always about public perception. In that context, a dress is never just a dress. It is always strategy.
noting
Kyrsten Sinema’s Style Keeps Us Guessing - The New York Times - "Sometimes a dress is just a dress. Sometimes it’s a strategy."
More TMC.
Sinema is known for making a visual splash as a method of political storytelling. That story seems to be something like, “I am a maverick. You can’t control me. You are not the boss of me. I’m an independent thinker,” even when thinking independently may run afoul of reason or ideological positions.
Including what she wore at Davos and at SOTU.

TMC conceded that "There are a few schools of thought that tell us that we shouldn’t talk about what Sinema wears."

Like "One school tells us that her presentation and the way she dresses do not matter because her politics are just so bad." and "It is also very common in a masculinist strain of intellectualism to consider discussing anything associated with girls and women to be an inferior form of discourse."

More seriously,
Another line of argument is what I see as the third-wave feminist response to our culture’s obsession with women’s bodies as their only worth, which is: We should never acknowledge what a woman looks like. I have heard people proclaim emphatically, for instance, “Never comment on a person’s body.” To the extent that Sinema’s clothes are worn on her body, the logic goes, we should never comment on her clothing.

This line of reasoning stems from a really decent impulse, for the most part, and that impulse is a response to a fact that research reveals: Women are judged unfairly in the workplace for their looks, their bodies and their clothing.

It may seem feminist to never comment on a woman’s body, but what if the woman in question is one of the world’s most powerful women? Take, for instance, the raiment of the Queen of England, or to think in a more local context, how the power suit of the Washington elite helps them navigate the hallowed halls of private negotiation with corporate donors.
Then
Along the way, I hope to model a way to talk about how any powerful woman in public dresses or presents herself without falling into sexist rhetoric or language.
That's a commendable ambition, and given how much many women are involved with clothing, we need a way of talking about that that is dignified and respectful.

It must be said that Kyrsten Sinema does not give us much to talk about. She seldom does interviews and she doesn't do town-hall meetings. If she wore nothing but dark-colored pantsuits, her clothing would never be an issue. But she sometimes wears very garish clothing.

3 Women Senators Slam NYT Coverage of Sinema's Fashion Choices - 3 senators slam The New York Times' coverage of Kyrsten Sinema's fashion as 'demeaning, sexist and inappropriate,' but an author of those articles says Sinema's choices are a key part of her politics

Maggie Hassan D-NH, Susan Collins R-ME, Lisa Murkowski R-AK

I must say that male politicians give us *very* little to talk about in that regard. The most eccentricity I've ever seen is in Rep. Jim Jordan R-OH going jacketless, though wearing the rest of a business suit, and in Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, with his dark green military fatigues - Volodymyr Zelenskyy's White House Attire Draws Comparison to Winston Churchill

What did you think of KS's dress at the SoTU speech last night? Pretty wild, IMHO. Whenever the camera panned to a wide angle of the audience, you could always see where she was... it was like a big yellow flag.
Honestly - I LOVED IT. It was fun and vibrant and no more flamboyant than Gaetz’ Cobalt blue plaid suit (which I also loved). Americans are pathetically boring in their garments. MOre of this, please.

What did you think of KS's dress at the SoTU speech last night? Pretty wild, IMHO. Whenever the camera panned to a wide angle of the audience, you could always see where she was... it was like a big yellow flag.
Honestly - I LOVED IT. It was fun and vibrant and no more flamboyant than Gaetz’ Cobalt blue plaid suit (which I also loved). Americans are pathetically boring in their garments. MOre of this, please.
I must say that I like that attitude.

I must say that I like that attitude.
I agree.

The tradition of politicians wearing boring grey suits is a fairly recent one - it seems to have started with the industrial revolution, which made mass production of cloth and clothing a thing, and a fetishisation of homogeneity (essential for factory style production), leading to a dramatic drop off in individuality of clothing styles, particularly for men.

This was exacerbated by the Great War, which led to cloth and clothing shortages, and further pressure for men's fashion to adopt a military/utilitarian style with uniformity at its core.

But it's run its course; The 1960s and '70s saw an uptick in colour as a result of new dying and printing technologies (themselves a consequence of the technological boost given to industry by WWII), and while this was at the time embraced by men only in the counterculture, it was enthusiastically adopted across the board in women's fashion. However, politics was still very much a male preserve, and the tiny handful of successful female politicians tended to conform with the drab and boring fashions of their male peers.

It's well past time for a change. Elected politicians can and should embrace unique and colourful clothing and fashion styles. The era of uniform grey suits that mirror uniform drab military dress, showing a commitment to regimentation, conformity, and solidarity with our soldiers deployed in war zones, needs to end.

When Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha married Queen Victoria of England, the newspapers of the day (as our modern press still do) spilled an ocean of ink on the details of the wedding clothes. Roughly equal space was dedicated in the major newspapers to the Prince's wedding outfit as was given over to that of the Queen.

For both of his two weddings, the current king was barely mentioned by the fashionistas; He wore his Naval dress uniform, so there was nothing novel or remarkable upon which to report.

After a hiatus of over a century, it's long overdue for politicians (including, perhaps particularly, the men) to return to being colourful and varied in their appearance. If the female politicians (whose counterparts outside politics, business and the military have largely never lost that flair) can lead the way, then that's great. But however it happens, it's time to bring back foppishness, flair, colour and style to the entire political arena (and as a corollary, to the boardrooms and offices of business, as well).

Opinion | Kyrsten Sinema Is Right. This Is Who She’s Always Been. - The New York Times - Dec. 9, 2022

Showing a picture of KS (I-Sybaris) in what may be a committee hearing room. She has an earring that looks like a knob with a "S" attached it, her visible wrist has a broad metal bracelet with fancy carvings and inlaid pink stones in it, and on her visible fingers were four fancy rings: one on her index finger, one on her middle finger, and two on her ring finger. Seems like she's

Back to Michelle Goldberg's column. MG noted that in her departure video, KS stated no disagreements about policy issues or party-organization issues or personality issues.
Instead, she framed the move as a step toward self-actualization. “Registering as an independent, and showing up to work with the title of independent, is a reflection of who I’ve always been,” she said.
After noting KS going from Greenie to corporate Democrat, "Her approach to elected office as a vehicle for the refinement of the self has not." Then noting KS's 2009 book “Unite and Conquer: How to Build Coalitions That Win — and Last,” saying about it that "she described giving up shrill partisanship, which was making her unhappy, for a vaguely New Age ethos that prized inner tranquillity."

One of its chapters: “Letting Go of the Bear and Picking Up the Buddha,” the "bear" being fear and anger. “Picking up the Buddha (becoming a super centered political actor) makes you a stronger, more effective you. To be your most fabulous political self, you’ll need to learn to recognize the bear and learn to let go of it in your work.”
Transcending fear and anger is an excellent spiritual goal. But becoming a more centered and fabulous person is a political project only when it’s directed toward aims beyond oneself. With Sinema, it’s not remotely clear what those aims might be, or if they exist.
Another chapter: “Letting Go of Outcomes.” Huh? What is that supposed to mean?

KS has been unusually talkative about becoming an independent, but her only policy difference with the Democrats is her objection to tax increases.
Instead, she spoke about not fitting into a box, being true to herself, and wanting to work, as she told Politico, without the “pressures or the poles of a party structure.”

Sybaris - an Italian Greek city whose inhabitants had a reputation for extravagant luxury.

Kyrsten Sinema is very unlike Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, whose self-description in Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@AOC) / Twitter is "US Representative,NY-14 (BX & Queens). In a modern, moral, & wealthy society, no American should be too poor to live. 💯% People-Funded, no lobbyist💰. She/her."

Back to Michelle Goldberg.
Until recently, Sinema has seemed to delight in the power an evenly split Senate gave her, which she used to benefit the financial and pharmaceutical industries. Negotiating the Inflation Reduction Act, she single-handedly stopped Democrats from closing the carried interest loophole, a provision that significantly cuts the tax bills of Wall Street investors. And Sinema insisted on narrowing the part of the law meant to bring down prescription drug prices, earning criticism even from Joe Manchin, the centrist West Virginia Democrat with whom she is frequently aligned.
Primary challenger Ruben Gallego: “One of her deep flaws is that she doesn’t realize our actions have impacts every day on people who need our help.”
For much of this year, Sinema appeared to be preparing for a future in a Senate run by the Republican Mitch McConnell. In September, at a cozy appearance with McConnell in Kentucky, she said, “As you all know, control changes between the House and the Senate every couple of years. It’s likely to change again in just a few weeks.” She described McConnell as a friend, and he praised her as the “most effective first-term senator” he’d seen in his career.
More recently, she called now House Speaker Kevin McCarthy a very good friend. Bleah.

Then about the prospects for 2024.
Many of those who supported Sinema four years ago have been enraged by the way she’s obstructed popular liberal priorities, and a recent AARP poll found that only 37 percent of likely Democratic voters in Arizona had a positive opinion of her.
Something true of other partisan and demographic groups. Nobody seems to like her very much. MG concludes
It’s one thing to be independent on behalf of your voters. It’s another to be independent from them.

Now that I have the 2022 ideology numbers from govtrack.us I decided to see how Kyrsten Sinema does.

• KS House 2014 - 2018: 0.43, 0.56, 0.70
  • KS Senate: 2020 - 2022: 0.68, 0.68, 0.51
  • Joe Manchin: 2014 - 2022: 0.52, 0.62, 0.57, 0.45
  • Ruben Gallego: 2016 - 2022: 0.29, 0.26, 0.30, 0.14
She's still the most conservative Democratic Senator, though as of 2022, the second most conservative one is Raphael Warnock of Georgia at 0.46. Joe Manchin was the third most conservative of 2021-22, and the second most conservative in 2019-20.

Interesting that Ruben Gallego has moved leftward in recent years.

Kari Lake meets with key GOP players as speculation swirls over a 2024 three-way run for the Senate - Raw Story - Celebrating 18 Years of Independent Journalism

Noting Kari Lake meets with NRSC officials - POLITICO - "The meeting comes as the failed gubernatorial candidate considers a Senate bid."
That's the National Republican Senatorial Committee. She met with them to discuss strategies for a Senatorial campaign.

Politico: "Blake Masters, who lost the Arizona senatorial race in November, is also thinking about running again in 2024."

'Just stop': Kari Lake buried for latest plot to grift the 'rubes' - Raw Story - Celebrating 18 Years of Independent Journalism
Responding to reports that failed Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake plans to appeal yet another legal setback in her effort to prove the 2022 election was stolen from her, one Arizona columnist suggested it's about time she exhibits a tiny bit of dignity, admit she lost and move on.
And not act like a big baby, like her hero Donald Trump.

From ‘BDE’ to Smears: Kari Lake Turns On DeSantis, Spreads Lie He’s Been Endorsed by George Soros
Failed Arizona gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake has turned on Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), on whom she once lavished praise for his “BDE” and called a model for Republican governors around the country.
Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦 on Twitter: "Kari Lake says Desantis has ‘BDE,’ (Big Dick Energy), the same kind of BDE that Trump has. “He has the same BDE that we want all of our leaders to have.” (vid link)" / Twitter - Aug 15, 2022
On Thursday, Lake shared an article from the conspiracy-mongering website Gateway Pundit, accompanied by its misleading title: “The Kiss of Death – Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Endorsed by George Soros (VIDEO).”

In truth, the billionaire and progressive megadonor had not expressed a preference for DeSantis, instead merely predicting that he would beat out former president Donald Trump for the Republican nomination in 2024.

“He is likely to be the Republican nominee,” said Soros, who described DeSantis as “shrewd, ruthless, and ambitious.”

Sinema Remains Among America’s Most Unpopular Senators - "Republicans and unaffiliated Arizona voters grew more fond of Sinema after she left the Democratic Party to become an independent"

Gallego builds political team ahead of Sinema showdown - POLITICO - "The congressman appears unbowed by the senator’s party shift."

Your 2022 Legislative Shitmuffin, By Default, Is Kyrsten Sinema (Hooray) - Wonkette
Sinema dramatically left the Democratic Party last month, a decision that had reportedly been brewing for months. Before that, she was a Democrat who provided important votes sometimes, especially in a 50/50 Senate. But just as often she just couldn't find her way to supporting actual HUGELY FUCKING IMPORTANT Democratic priorities if it meant upending Senate rules she apparently holds as dear as she holds her collection of funky wigs.

And she was a such a fucking dick about it. (Cue minimum wage vote curtsy dot gif!) Her uncaring dickishness is clearly a big part of why everybody hates her. (BTW, have you seen polling on a three-way race in Arizona between an independent Sinema, a batshit Kari Lake, and dashing sexy bear cub Ruben Gallego?)

Sinema has spent more time sucking up to Mitch McConnell than she did serving her constituents or helping further the Democratic president's agenda.

Voting rights?Abortion? Oh noooooooo the filibuster oh nooooooooo it is her favorite the filibuster oh nooooooooooo the founding fathers didn't write the filibuster in the Bible if they didn't mean for us to preserve it oh noooooooooooo!

Kyrsten Sinema And Mitch McConnell, Best Friends Forever FOREVER! - Wonkette - September 27, 2022
MMC praised KS for continuing the Senate filibuster.

Kyrsten Sinema Working Hard To Finish Fourth In Three-Way Senate Race - Wonkette - showing her dressed like a sheep at Davos.

Loyal Sinema Party Member Kyrsten Sinema's Never Gonna Be A Republican, OK? - Wonkette
She currently caucuses with the Democrats, as the other two Senate Independents do.
However, Senate Minority Whip John Thune from South Dakota, billed as one of Sinema's "best friends in the chamber," has generously left the light on for Sinema in the Republican Party. He's urging her to fully defect and avoid a messy three-way race she's sure to lose.

“Obviously we’d love to have her become a Republican or at least caucus [with] Republicans," Thune said, as we imagine him scribbling "JT + KS" in a little heart. "That would make things a little more clear."
What is her ideological lane?
We don't know what makes her think there's a market for "sensible" corporate politicians who lecture voters like they're children. There certainly isn't one in the current faux-populist Republican Party, where what Tim Miller calls "Team Normal" candidates lost in 2022 to MAGA loons like Blake Masters and Kari Lake.
She might be a passable Clintonite Democrat, but that does not excite the party's base very much, though her donors are another story. When I think about that, I think about what she had thought early in her political career. Early KS would think that present KS is shamelessly taking bribes.

Blake Masters is in the race to succeed KS. He lost last year and he's trying again.

Blake Masters on Twitter: "Good to see ..." / Twitter
Good to see Ruben Gallego venture out of his D+50 district, the last time he did that was to chair the “Eric Swalwell for President” campaign. Ruben’s scandals do not include sleeping with a Chinese spy, so he will probably do better than Swalwell’s 1%.

But the result will be similar. Ruben is about as left-wing as they come. He pushed the Russiagate hoax, supports gun confiscation, voted for abortion up through the moment of birth, and supported every tax and spend bill Pelosi put in front of him. No thank you
RG responded Ruben Gallego on Twitter: "I will definitely lose the American Psycho demographic to this guy." / Twitter

Kyrsten Sinema’s $300,000 Security Expert Is Tulsi Gabbard’s Sister - "The Arizona senator has a security arrangement that raises several ethical red flags, according to campaign law experts."
Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (I-AZ) spends more of her campaign funds on security than nearly every other member of Congress—she’s underwritten well over $560,000 for her protection since late 2021—but what’s more unusual than how much she spends is who she spends it on.

According to federal campaign finance filings, Sinema’s campaign committees have paid a combined $307,000 in security expenses to an Arizona-registered entity called TOA Group LLC. And official documents show that TOA Group LLC has just one officer: Vrindivan Gabbard Bellord, best known as the sister of and occasional spokesperson for Tulsi Gabbard.

Gabbard, the former Democratic congresswoman and presidential candidate turned right-wing political figure, has long had a friendly relationship with Sinema. And Gabbard’s sister, Bellord, also appears to be quite close to the senator.
What's going on here? Is there some quid pro quo somewhere? A legal phrase, Latin for "what for what".

Back
Top Bottom