• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Leave The World Behind

ZiprHead

Loony Running The Asylum
Staff member
Basic Beliefs
Don't be a dick.
Leave The World Behind

A new movie about an apocalyptic occurrence happening.

No, I haven't seen it but it appears to be getting quite mixed reviews. Not based on quality though it seems. Barack and Michelle Obama are executive producers of the film. This seems to have caused a great consternation among butthurt right wingers who have been flooding Google reviews with C/Ps of the same review over and over. The film is getting fairly good reviews by actual critics but Elon Musk panned the work on X. I believe this and the Obama's involvement is what set off the "fuck your feelings" crowd of immature man-boys off.

Let's not mention the movie's executive producers just yet. My pro-Trump coworker is busy promoting it to our conservative colleagues. I'm waiting for the right moment, once they're all hooked on the plot, and them BAM... Reveal who [Edit: for correction] owns the the production company the executive producers are. :devil2:

Last edited:
My wife and I saw it on Monday night.
What disappointed and saddened us was the fact that it is all to likely to occur. Can I mention that you yanks come across as being wilfully blind? I do not know if that was deliberate or not.
Humanity can be so blind and so easily led astray.

The Obamas being part of the production was neither here nor there to us. It would not necessarily make us watch it, nor not watch it. Though I was mildly surprised that neither Obama got a guernsey in the film.

What disappointed and saddened us was the fact that it is all to likely to occur. Can I mention that you yanks come across as being wilfully blind? I do not know if that was deliberate or not.

The Obamas being part of the production was neither here nor there to us. It would not necessarily make us watch it, nor not watch it. Though I was mildly surprised that neither Obama got a guernsey in the film.
Please give us Yanks the etymology of guernsey.

I would have expected either of the Obamas to make a cameo or a walk-in role during the film. Called "getting a guernsey" in some parts of the world.

It's fairly complicated. Both Jersey and Gurnsey (the two largest of the Channel Islands) were famous for their lightweight woollens, originally made to keep the crews of their fishing fleets warm and dry. There was considerable rivalry between the islands over who made the better and finer knitwear.

Back in the days before artificial fibres, these light-weight knitted shirts were particularly prized for sporting apparel, and a team shirt became known as a "Jersey" in England, and as a "Gurnsey" in Ireland. They both brought their teminology to Australia, where (particularly in Victoria, where a version of Gaelic Football became Australian Rules Football), being selected for your local football team was referred to as "getting a Gurnsey".

That phrase has broadened in scope to mean being selected for almost any position, but particularly one that entails joining a group endeavour.

In this case, @Tigers! is expressing surprise that neither Obama was given a place in the cast of the movie. He wasn't expecting them to be granted ownership of any of the Channel Islands.

Having Obama in the movie would likely have disrupted its immersive quality. To avoid a cheesy cameo effect, given his prominent real-world persona, he would need to possess acting skills on par with those of Denzel Washington to convincingly blend into the film's narrative. I doubt he can perform better than Denzel.

Having Obama in the movie would likely have disrupted its immersive quality. To avoid a cheesy cameo effect, given his prominent real-world persona, he would need to possess acting skills on par with those of Denzel Washington to convincingly blend into the film's narrative. I doubt he can perform better than Denzel.
Though it would have been extremely hilarious had he played Kevin Bacon’s role, which would have been the only role available anyway (except for the Spanish speaking woman, which would also have been hilarious for his cameo).

Though it would have been extremely hilarious had he played Kevin Bacon’s role, which would have been the only role available anyway (except for the Spanish speaking woman, which would also have been hilarious for his cameo).

The movie already incorporated elements of humor, particularly the scene where their son's attempt at a private moment is comically ruined by him remembering that the world is ending.

Edit: Or that his mother was in every one of the pictures.

Let's not mention the movie's executive producers just yet. My pro-Trump coworker is busy promoting it to our conservative colleagues. I'm waiting for the right moment, once they're all hooked on the plot, and them BAM... Reveal who [Edit: for correction] owns the the production company the executive producers are. :devil2:
IMG_4019.gif

I haven't seen it yet but I'm thinking of Clive Cussler. He appears in many of his books but always as a totally bit player that shows up for one scene only.

If this is a isolated-cast situation (and I get the impression it is) then that is obviously impossible.

A new movie about an apocalyptic occurrence happening.

No, I haven't seen it but it appears to be getting quite mixed reviews. Not based on quality though it seems. Barack and Michelle Obama are executive producers of the film. . . .
Maybe I've got too much free time on my hands, but we have Netflix and I clicked and watched this film as soon as I read your post. It IS apocalyptic.

What exactly does it mean that the Obamas were "Executive Producers"? Given that it was part of Barack's job to understand apocalyptic scenarios, I find their involvement ... scary.

I do not want to spoil the movie but I didn't understand or like the ending..

I do not want to spoil the movie but I didn't understand or like the ending..
The internet has lots of "ending explained" type links but I haven't looked. I don't want to spoil it for me. I don't have netflix so I'm hoping to find it somewhere else.

As I understand it, the Obamas read the book and it was on their recommended reading list.

Back
Top Bottom