• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Left Wing Terrorism

Propaganda sheet
DM may be low quality in general, but their description of these terrorists as "goons of Antifa" is certainly much more fitting than mainstream media misidentifying them as "protestors". Although they are more smirking than grinning goons.

Note also that only 2 are from Georgia. Most are from out of state, and two are from out of country.
One, Tom Jurgens, is a SPLC lawyer.
Right wing cops often arrest protesters who did not actually commit any crime.

The Atlantic said:
To be sure, federal military-surplus transfers like those through the Defense Department’s 1033 Program do little good, and much harm: Police departments obtaining used Army filing cabinets at cost isn’t cause for concern, but there’s no earthly reason for small-town cops to wear military fatigues, ride around in mine-resistant Humvees, or carry bayonets.
I have never seen police with bayonets. Certainly not in ATLPD.
Armored vehicles can be useful, not least for crowd control which has sadly been very much needed in recent years. Mine-resistant ones? In a major city like Atlanta you'd expect the danger of a terrorist attack, so police should be equipped to engage with explosives as well. Note that Atlanta is certainly not a small town, so that objection falls flat here.
The basic problem with the MRAPs is that while they are armored they are not very suitable for the sort of things police actually need armor for. It's politicial crap finding a "use" for things which currently have no reasonable use.

The police do not need explosive-resistant vehicles, they do not encounter land mines and the like. They need vehicles that can resist civilian arms (up to .50 cal) for dealing with barricaded shooters--ideally with some way to deploy that protection down to the ground (protection against fire going underneath when scooping up the injured.) Resistance against molotovs would be useful.

What evidence do you have that the arresting officers were "right wing" or that these Antifa creeps are innocent of any crime? After all, the vehicle/trailer did not set themselves on fire. Rocks and Molotov cocktails did not throw themselves at police.

It's not just cops. They will be prosecuted by DeKalb county, one of the most Democratic counties out there. In 2020, Biden carried DeKalb 83-16. And a judge ordered 22/23 held without bail.

These 23 could also be facing federal charges.
FBI: Federal charges possible for 23 arrested at Atlanta training center site
I hope Merrick Garland does the right thing and prosecutes them. Unfortunately, he is a very partisan AG who is disinclined to go after left-wing political violence.

I can't tell if you took the time to read all the links contained in the Atlantic article. They are much better.
I have not, and I do not see how they have any bearing on the question of necessity of a police training facility.
Sorry that my elderly computer is not being as cooperative as I would like and I couldn't provide quotes from those links.
Too bad, if you think there are some quotes that would be germane. However, ...
Yes, SWAT teams are sometimes very necessary.
.. even you acknowledge this much. Which means police have to train for it. Same goes for armed raids that do not involve SWAT.

So why are we arguing? If armed action by police is sometimes very necessary, then police have to train for such actions. And they need a facility to do it at. Note that these "stop cop city" idiots tend to be police abolitionist extremists.

A family member was rescued during an armed home invasion by SWAT team(s) (probably overkill to use more than one). No one was injured.
Good to hear, and it kind of proves my point. Well-trained police are a necessity.

The intricate machinations of war & politics! How they intertwine & deceive the masses!

Upon the realistion that the majority of these assaults are, in truth, but false flag operations, often perpetrated by one’s own government on behalf of global banking interest, what “wing” or “ideology” the assailants are aligned with has become a matter of indference to me.

Left-wing or right-wing? But fleeting concepts, irrelevant distractions, in these matters.I do not concern myself with such inconsequentialities.

The winds of deception blow strong, shrouding the truth and leading the herd astray.

Yet it is in moments of lucidity such as this, that we may peer beyond the veil of falsehood and comprehend the true nature of the game being played.

Lord Osmund de Ixabert

I can't tell if you took the time to read all the links contained in the Atlantic article. They are much better.
I have not, and I do not see how they have any bearing on the question of necessity of a police training facility.
Sorry that my elderly computer is not being as cooperative as I would like and I couldn't provide quotes from those links.
Too bad, if you think there are some quotes that would be germane. However, ...
Yes, SWAT teams are sometimes very necessary.
.. even you acknowledge this much. Which means police have to train for it. Same goes for armed raids that do not involve SWAT.

So why are we arguing? If armed action by police is sometimes very necessary, then police have to train for such actions. And they need a facility to do it at. Note that these "stop cop city" idiots tend to be police abolitionist extremists.

A family member was rescued during an armed home invasion by SWAT team(s) (probably overkill to use more than one). No one was injured.
Good to hear, and it kind of proves my point. Well-trained police are a necessity.
I really DO wish you'd read the links. I also have problems with the Atlantic article and its reliance on SWAT teams discussion I DO understand the necessity when investigating an issue of focussing as nearly as possible on one issue if possible. The articles linked are really good, though. I hope you will read them.

Despite what you may think, I am not anti-police. I AM anti-militarization of police, which seems to increasingly be an issue, with police beginning to adapt the position that they are occupying forces. I've seen it happen. I've had it happen to me, actually, when police obviously mistook me for someone driving a similar make/model/color vehicle.

What evidence do you have that the arresting officers were "right wing" or that these Antifa creeps are innocent of any crime? After all, the vehicle/trailer did not set themselves on fire. Rocks and Molotov cocktails did not throw themselves at police.

It's not just cops. They will be prosecuted by DeKalb county, one of the most Democratic counties out there. In 2020, Biden carried DeKalb 83-16. And a judge ordered 22/23 held without bail.

These 23 could also be facing federal charges.
FBI: Federal charges possible for 23 arrested at Atlanta training center site
I hope Merrick Garland does the right thing and prosecutes them. Unfortunately, he is a very partisan AG who is disinclined to go after left-wing political violence.
What I'm saying is that the fact that police arrested someone at a protest isn't very good evidence that they actually did wrong. There are lots of arrests done on a totally bogus basis (yes, the wrong happened--but there's no reason to implicate the person for the wrong) just to get rid of the protest.

the fact that police arrested someone at a protest isn't very good evidence that they actually did wrong
And the fact that they didn't isn't evidence of innocence. How many were arrested on January 6?

Committing suicide by provoking cops to shoot them? That's a good reason for cops to avoid using firearms as much as possible, and to use nonlethal and low-lethality weapons as much as possible.

Georgia Officials Target Bail Fund in Crackdown on ‘Cop City’ Protests - The New York Times
Atlanta police officers and agents from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation swarmed a house this week that has long been known in the city as a hub of activism.

Three people were arrested inside, charged with money laundering and charity fraud for spending connected to the Atlanta Solidarity Fund, which has paid bail and provided legal support for protesters fighting plans for a new police and fire training complex widely known by its derisive nickname, “Cop City.”

Civil liberties groups and a number of elected officials have condemned the charges as egregious retaliation for lawful protests. The arrests have inflamed an already tense situation: For months, law enforcement officials have been cracking down on protests against the training center.
and
The three people arrested — Marlon Kautz, 39; Savannah Patterson, 30; and Adele MacLean, 42 — made an initial court appearance on Friday. Bail for each of them was set at $15,000. But Judge James Altman expressed some skepticism about the state’s case. “I don’t find it real impressive,” he told prosecutors during the hearing, adding that “there’s not a lot of meat on the bones of thousands of dollars going to illegal activities.”

The three have been accused, according to arrest warrants, of misleading donors by spending money to support Defend the Atlanta Forest, a group that has been blamed by local authorities for the arson and vandalism of buildings and heavy equipment during protests, and for throwing Molotov cocktails, rocks and fireworks at uniformed police officers.

Senator Reverend Raphael Warnock on Twitter: "🧵: While we still don’t have all the details ..." / Twitter
🧵: While we still don’t have all the details, as a pastor who has long been engaged in justice work, I am concerned by what we know about last Wednesday’s show of force against the organizers of an Atlanta bail fund, & the questions it raises. (1/10)

These tactics, coupled with the limited public information provided so far, can have a chilling effect on nonviolent, constitutionally-protected free speech activities those of us in the fight for justice have been engaged in for years. (2/10)

Protests must remain peaceful. Violent protests are rightfully condemned in principle and prosecuted in our laws.

The work of bail funds and providing support & legal representation has been critical to moving our nation forward… (3/10)

…including during the Civil Rights Movement and in the years since. I’m proud that it is part of the ministry work that I, and my church, have been engaged in since long before I was ever elected to office. (4/10)

The images of the raid reinforce the very suspicions that help to animate the current conflict—namely, concerns Georgians have about over-policing, the quelling of dissent in a democracy, and the militarization of our police. (5/10)

This undercuts the critical work that is necessary to build trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve, and I look forward to learning more about why these tactics were necessary. (6/10)

I am closely monitoring this situation—including exploring how the federal government can provide accurate guidance about what a federal “domestic violent extremist” designation does & does not mean... (7/10)

…and how to respect the rights of peaceful protestors, as well as all American citizens who by constitutional right are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

We must remain committed to human and civil rights. We can both strengthen public safety and uphold justice. (8/10)

I’m also going to keep talking and listening to local leaders, clergy, activists and advocates as the conversation surrounding the training center continues. (9/10)

We must stay dedicated to building trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve. I’m committed to this on-going work. (10/end)

Fellow Georgia Senator Jon Ossoff agrees.

Jon Ossoff on Twitter: "[thread] ..." / Twitter
[thread]

While protecting public safety, State and local officials must uphold vital Constitutional rights to free speech and peaceful assembly, as well as due process and legal counsel.

While the facts of the case are not yet fully known, the prosecution announced last week of Georgians reputedly engaged in legal aid activities demands scrutiny.

Proponents and opponents of the proposed Atlanta Police Training Center continue to engage in vigorous advocacy. While most advocacy has been peaceful, an extremist minority has engaged in violence that cannot be tolerated.

It is imperative that the response of government to the violent few not intimidate or infringe on the Constitutional rights of those engaged in nonviolent protest and civil disobedience.

In the strongest terms, I urge peace, nonviolence, and restraint as the Atlanta City Council continues its deliberations.

If the bail fund leaders committed financial crimes, why should they not be arrested and prosecuted?

Btw, the bail fund leaders who were arrested live in this house.
IMG_8289.jpg

Textbook example of LWNJs.

Three people were arrested inside, charged with money laundering and charity fraud for spending connected to the Atlanta Solidarity Fund, which has paid bail and provided legal support for protesters fighting plans for a new police and fire training complex widely known by its derisive nickname, “Cop City.”
And police should not be arresting people for money laundering and fraud, why?

Civil liberties groups and a number of elected officials have condemned the charges as egregious retaliation for lawful protests.
"Lawful protests" do not involve vandalism, arson and shooting a GSP trooper in the abdomen.

But Judge James Altman expressed some skepticism about the state’s case. “I don’t find it real impressive,” he told prosecutors during the hearing, adding that “there’s not a lot of meat on the bones of thousands of dollars going to illegal activities.”
James Altman is a magistrate court judge. Kind of low level. I do hope the actual trial judge is more even-handed.

The three have been accused, according to arrest warrants, of misleading donors by spending money to support Defend the Atlanta Forest, a group that has been blamed by local authorities for the arson and vandalism of buildings and heavy equipment during protests, and for throwing Molotov cocktails, rocks and fireworks at uniformed police officers.
Which is not "peaceful protest" under any definition of the term. So if they solicited funds to bail out "peaceful protesters" but ended up bailing out assorted vandals and arsonists, then that is definitely misleading and could be fraudulent (not a lawyer nor do I play one on the Internet though).

🧵: While we still don’t have all the details, as a pastor who has long been engaged in justice work, I am concerned by what we know about last Wednesday’s show of force against the organizers of an Atlanta bail fund, & the questions it raises. (1/10)
If he does not have the details, why is he ranting for 10 tweets about it?
Protests must remain peaceful. Violent protests are rightfully condemned in principle and prosecuted in our laws.
Right. And yet the anti-cop city "protests" were anything but.

The work of bail funds and providing support & legal representation has been critical to moving our nation forward… (3/10)
I do not see bail funds as a positive. Bail is there to give the defendant some skin in the game to incentivize him or her showing up for the trial. If a well-heeled bail fund pays for it, there is no such incentive. And bail funds become even more problematic when they are racist (e.g. only bail out black defendants as some of them overtly do) or political (like this one).
The images of the raid reinforce the very suspicions that help to animate the current conflict—namely, concerns Georgians have about over-policing, the quelling of dissent in a democracy, and the militarization of our police. (5/10)
"Militarization of police" is one of those things that are poorly defined but have become stock phrase for left-wing politicians like this pastor.

I am closely monitoring this situation—including exploring how the federal government can provide accurate guidance about what a federal “domestic violent extremist” designation does & does not mean... (7/10)
A RWNJ putting his feet up on Nancy Pelosi's desk - domestic violent extremist.
A LWNJ destroying construction equipment and vandalizing offices of the construction company for a project they don't like - not a domestic violent extremist </progressoauthoritarian>
I’m also going to keep talking and listening to local leaders, clergy, activists and advocates as the conversation surrounding the training center continues. (9/10)
Why should we listen to clergy? Or random activists? And local leaders voted in favor of the project, 11-4.
Atlanta City Council approves funding for public safety training center
We must stay dedicated to building trust between law enforcement and the communities they serve. I’m committed to this on-going work. (10/end)
We should. But calling violent rioters, vandals and arsonists "peaceful protesters" is not conducive to that goal.

While protecting public safety, State and local officials must uphold vital Constitutional rights to free speech and peaceful assembly, as well as due process and legal counsel.
Again with the "peaceful assembly" canard. The violence against the police training center was anything but.
While the facts of the case are not yet fully known, the prosecution announced last week of Georgians reputedly engaged in legal aid activities demands scrutiny.
And why should they not be scrutinized?
Proponents and opponents of the proposed Atlanta Police Training Center continue to engage in vigorous advocacy. While most advocacy has been peaceful, an extremist minority has engaged in violence that cannot be tolerated.
Exactly.

If the bail fund leaders committed financial crimes, why should they not be arrested and prosecuted?

Because the evidence is weak.

The three people arrested — Marlon Kautz, 39; Savannah Patterson, 30; and Adele MacLean, 42 — made an initial court appearance on Friday. Bail for each of them was set at $15,000. But Judge James Altman expressed some skepticism about the state’s case. “I don’t find it real impressive,” he told prosecutors during the hearing, adding that “there’s not a lot of meat on the bones of thousands of dollars going to illegal activities.”

Because the evidence is weak.
According to the opinion of one magistrate judge. Let's see how the cases play out.

There is an update in the case of Manuel Teran. No charges will be filed against the troopers who returned fire and killed Teran.
No charges for troopers in fatal January shooting of activist after actions deemed 'objectively reasonable'
11 Alive News said:
A prosecutor overseeing the January law enforcement shooting of Manuel Paez Teran, an activist who had been camped out in the South River Forest opposing the future Atlanta Public Safety Training Center, has determined the shooting was "objectively reasonable" and that there will be no charges against the six Georgia State Patrol troopers who were primarily involved.
[...]
Christian determined that troopers, upon encountering Teran in a tent in the woods on Jan. 18, 2023, gave advanced notice of intent to use a "less lethal" way to force the activist out the tent: a pepperball launcher. Christian's report states that Teran "refused to comply with the lawful commands" to leave the tent, and that Teran ultimately shot four times at the troopers from inside the tent after the pepperballs were fired.

There is a Rolling Stone article about the Last Days of Teran. It is, predictably, biased in favor of him and the anti-police movement, but it is interesting in that it gives some insight into the day-to-day of these radical protesters. The article is also notable for this vignete:
Rolling Stone said:
Just beyond the ravaged area was BIPOC Camp, an area Teran and others established as a safe place for people of color. She remembers Teran coming out and saying in a friendly tone, “Hey, this isn’t a space for white people.” She apologized, and Teran, who introduced themselves with the code name Geese, helped her find a spot nearby. Wasilewski and others tell me Teran was the only person staying in BIPOC Camp at the time.
Killed in Cop City

What is with left-wing radicals and supporting racial segregation?

Teran is the typical, bonkers, lefty, professional protestor.

Rolling Stone article said:
Teran stayed active in causes other than the climate crisis that year they lived in the forest, and they’d often leave to volunteer. Like in early December 2022, when they heard neo-Nazis had made threats against a drag event in Maryville, Tennessee. Teran and their friends drove to Maryville to link up with a group organizing drag defense. About two dozen people wearing glitter and trans Pride flags showed up to defend the event, where they faced antagonizers wearing Confederate flags and Nazi symbols and carrying guns in holsters.

A delusional mental case.

Teran stayed active in causes other than the climate crisis that year they lived in the forest, and they’d often leave to volunteer. Like in early December 2022, when they heard neo-Nazis had made threats against a drag event in Maryville, Tennessee. Teran and their friends drove to Maryville to link up with a group organizing drag defense. About two dozen people wearing glitter and trans Pride flags showed up to defend the event, where they faced antagonizers wearing Confederate flags and Nazi symbols and carrying guns in holsters.

Wait, now it's delusional to fight Nazism? I do not agree.

They brought glitter, the Nazis brought guns. If you can't spot the terrorist in that scene, you're not looking.

Wait, now it's delusional to fight Nazism? I do not agree. They brought glitter, {snip}

Have you any idea how ridiculous that looks? Probably not.

Anyway, people like Teran are not protesting, they a virtue signaling.

Glitter indeed. :hysterical:

Back
Top Bottom