• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Louisiana mandates 10 Commandments In Schools

a Philly steak and cheese sandwich,
For the record, it's a cheesesteak. But for breakfast, one used to be able to get a "steak and egg on a kaiser, with cheese."

The other ones, I don't know of offhand; Chili con Queso is Tex/Mex, and the first one sounds like farm country meals. But in Philadelphia, we do not have "a Philly steak and cheese" sandwich.

In Soviet Russia...

Louisiana's new "Ten Commandments" law actually contains eleven commandments​

The text shall read as follows:

"The Ten Commandments

I AM the LORD thy God.

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Thou shalt not make to thyself any graven images.

Thou shalt not take the Name of the Lord thy God in vain.

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Honor thy father and thy mother, that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his cattle, nor anything that is thy neighbor's."

It was Jesus’ mistake not to give his teachings as a bulleted list with a catchy title. Too bad he lived before PowerPoint existed. His so-called Christians may have followed his teachings if he had.

Reactions: SLD
My sister said she does not remember seeing the 10c posted in school. We went to RCC schools through high school.
James Carville said this is a Baptist thing.

True. I went to Catholic schooling as well, the ten commandments were not heavily emphasized. The seven deadly sins, on the other hand...

True. I went to Catholic schooling as well, the ten commandments were not heavily emphasized. The seven deadly sins, on the other hand...
The RCC was never much about reading the bable. I think they knew if they did the average person would get a clue.

You're all correct about the Catholic Church and its absence of Biblical literacy in the laity.

The hierarchy likes it like that, and is totally supportive of the efforts to post any version of the Ten Commandments in public schools and government properties.

The Knights of Columbus and the Evangelists may never reach theological agreement, but, they don't need to agree on the finer points of their religions in order to benefit from the erosion of [you don't know why I don't like saying this, but, *sigh*] "Jefferson's Wall of Separation."

I don't like saying it because my presence is evidence that the talking point is sabotage and is failing.

The RCC was never much about reading the bable. I think they knew if they did the average person would get a clue.
I went to a Catholic College. That school was information and knowledge first. Some of the most damning stuff I learned about the illegitimacy of the Bible was in religion classes there. I didn't quite understand why they couldn't put one and one together.

I went to a Catholic College. That school was information and knowledge first. Some of the most damning stuff I learned about the illegitimacy of the Bible was in religion classes there. I didn't quite understand why they couldn't put one and one together.
They probably did. Why wouldn't they want the Bible damned as illegitimate? It's not like they were damning the source of Catholicism's authority -- the Pope and the Church Councils and the Throne of St. Peter -- as illegitimate. They were damning as illegitimate the source of Protestantism's authority.

I didn't quite understand why they couldn't put one and one together.
"They" could. Did you expect them to liquidate their profitable business model? Peddling superstitious nonsense is a known money maker.
Maybe the RCC, but I respected the Brothers (most of them) that taught at the school. Like I said, it was education first. No indoctrination, even in the religious courses. Taking a course that involved Buddhism was required for all students!

"They" could. Did you expect them to liquidate their profitable business model? Peddling superstitious nonsense is a known money maker.
Maybe the RCC, but I respected the Brothers (most of them) that taught at the school. Like I said, it was education first. No indoctrination, even in the religious courses. Taking a course that involved Buddhism was required for all students!
When you are young and don't know a lot of things it can seem like that.

When I was young, just by reading the Tanakh I was generally able to place the time of authorship based on a couple of historical details. I understood context back then, quite well.

Education was their mission. This wasn't some BS far-right wing school. My understanding is that smart, the really smart folks, can just need to believe. Regardless what the pieces of the puzzle say.

Regardless, I'm pretty certain the Brothers who taught at that school wouldn't remotely support this BS. I don't recall seeing any Ten Commandments in the school, anywhere. Crosses were bountiful (as would be expected), but that was it.

When I was young, just by reading the Tanakh I was generally able to place the time of authorship based on a couple of historical details. I understood context back then, quite well.

Education was their mission. This wasn't some BS far-right wing school. My understanding is that smart, the really smart folks, can just need to believe. Regardless what the pieces of the puzzle say.

Regardless, I'm pretty certain the Brothers who taught at that school wouldn't remotely support this BS. I don't recall seeing any Ten Commandments in the school, anywhere. Crosses were bountiful (as would be expected), but that was it.
At the time were you informed enough to wonder whether alleged biblical miracles actually happened? Was this discussed? Was the likelihood that gods are just human projection discussed?

I remember going to CCD classes when in high school. I recall the instructor talking about Genesis. He opined that even if one didn't believe in the creation myth that there still had to be some directing force behind the universe and the fact that humans are here. I was not informed enough to be part of the discussion so it made sense that there must be a god. He was wrong of course but i didn't have the ability to discuss the subject intelligently. And neither was I independent at the time so group think was full on.

Today that same situation would be quite different but that discussion would not be permitted to occur. The Brothers knew their audience.

At the time were you informed enough to wonder whether alleged biblical miracles actually happened? Was this discussed? Was the likelihood that gods are just human projection discussed?
I learned that Jesus and his role as Savior kept stepping backward with subsequent gospels, with the first one inferring the returned Jesus is Messiah and the final gospel indicating Jesus was Messiah before birth.
I remember going to CCD classes when in high school. I recall the instructor talking about Genesis. He opined that even if one didn't believe in the creation myth that there still had to be some directing force behind the universe and the fact that humans are here. I was not informed enough to be part of the discussion so it made sense that there must be a god. He was wrong of course but i didn't have the ability to discuss the subject intelligently. And neither was I independent at the time so group think was full on.
This school wasn't like CCD. It was analytical, studying the structure, messages, potential meanings. The first (or second) story of creation wasn't taught as fact. It was taught as literature.

Back
Top Bottom