• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Magic

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Natural Philosophy, Game Theoretic Ethicist
The E Meter is not dangerous. It is a galvanic skin resistance meter originally used in lie detectors to detect sweat. Hubbard borrowed it
The E-Meter is dangerous the way a cell phone is dangerous. When you are sitting at home, or out on the street or whatever, not so much.

When you are driving a car, though, the cell phone is dangerous because in that context it is a distraction.

Similarly, the EMeter's danger is specifically in it's context of operation, and what it is a tool to accomplish. Like the cell phone while driving, the E-Meter is dangerous because it is operated with the intent of making people psychologically pliable in a fairly reliably verifiable way when being asked to believe things, and fork over money.

steve_bank

Diabetic retinopathy and poor eyesight. Typos ...
Basic Beliefs
secular-skeptic
The E Meter is not dangerous. It is a galvanic skin resistance meter originally used in lie detectors to detect sweat. Hubbard borrowed it
The E-Meter is dangerous the way a cell phone is dangerous. When you are sitting at home, or out on the street or whatever, not so much.

When you are driving a car, though, the cell phone is dangerous because in that context it is a distraction.

Similarly, the EMeter's danger is specifically in it's context of operation, and what it is a tool to accomplish. Like the cell phone while driving, the E-Meter is dangerous because it is operated with the intent of making people psychologically pliable in a fairly reliably verifiable way when being asked to believe things, and fork over money.
You have just lost all credibility with me. Not that it matters in the grand shceme of things.

The E Meter does not radiate any EM energy or particle radiation.

It is a simple Ohm Meter. Put a small current through a resistance, in this case the skin, and measure the voltage across the resistor which defines the resistance by E = I*R Ohm's Law. The E in E meter comes from E the symbol for an electrical potential difference.

It was used in lie detectors. If someone starts sweating during a test the skin surface resistance goes down.

In the 80s or 90s the FDA banned Scientology from claiming E- Meetrs have any medical or diagnostic value , but did not ban the meter being sold or used.

To me video games are for more dangerous psychologicaly.

Jarhyn

Wizard
Basic Beliefs
Natural Philosophy, Game Theoretic Ethicist

You have just lost all credibility with me. Not that it matters in the grand shceme of things.

The E Meter does not radiate any EM energy or particle radiation.

It is a simple Ohm Meter. Put a small current through a resistance, in this case the skin, and measure the voltage across the resistor which defines the resistance by E = I*R Ohm's Law. The E in E meter comes from E the symbol for an electrical potential difference.

It was used in lie detectors. If someone starts sweating during a test the skin surface resistance goes down.

In the 80s or 90s the FDA banned Scientology from claiming E- Meetrs have any medical or diagnostic value , but did not ban the meter being sold or used.

To me video games are for more dangerous psychologicaly.
What are you smoking to think I am talking about emission of radiation? It detects skin resistance. It emits a number in the form of the position of a needle.

The mental exercise that allows the galvanic skin resistance to go down to the zero on the needle is an extreme act of self-control while being forced to listen to something nonsensical which, on rejection of the nonsense, the self control is lost.

This process is an act of brainwashing.

It is fairly well understood that presenting yourself in a state where you are  verifiably being  successfully brainwashed is very dangerous.

This is what the tool is there for, and what it does.

It in fact is a feedback device for confirming brainwashing.

You have to either believe what you are saying, or have a lot of practice in faking out a galvanic skin resistance detector.

Again, expecting it to be bogus is extremely dangerous.

Trusting the claims others make of it, namely the salesman to the brainwashing session, is equally dangerous.

Top Bottom