• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Male patients asked if they are pregnant at NHS Trust

A quick Google search reveals
A quick glance at Mr Sinclair or the fact his medical record states he’s male reveals he can’t be pregnant and never has been pregnant. But the new religion dictates he must bow down in pious reverence or be turned away. He was turned away, amen.
Mr. Sinclair could have just written 'no' on that line on the form
Why should Mr Sinclair be obligated to bow down to this new extreme religion? Why did staff not accommodate this man? Why was it so important to them (and you) that Mr Sinclair mark his form, knowing full well that Mr Sinclair was male and couldn’t possibly be pregnant? It wasn’t for medical reasons that’s for sure.
but chose to make a martyr of himself in his own mind instead, even though he believes sick people will suffer as a consequence.
Mr Sinclair was turned away. Inclusiveness is obviously more important to the NHS.

I don't see a new patron saint. I someone clinging to the sexist notion that men are demeaned when medical forms are sex- and gender-neutral.
Pregnancy is not gender neutral you silly goose.
I’m certain the questionaire asked if he took illegal drugs, among other questions. That was okay, but pregnancy was a bridge too far?
Men can take illegal drugs, but they cannot be pregnant.

I’m certain the questionaire asked if he took illegal drugs, among other questions. That was okay, but pregnancy was a bridge too far?
Got it. So this is just about the guy who thinks he needs to have a form specifically formatted for him because he can't get pregnant. Sounds kind of narcissistic.

Mr. Sinclair had to answer all the questions on the new standardized form in order for his blood donation to be accepted. He refused. So he didn't give blood that day. It appears the reason he refused was because he didn't like the question, and the reason he didn't like it is because he's ridiculously sexist enough to think it's an insult for him to be asked the same questions that women are asked.
Yes, the authoritarians insist he answer questions they already know the answer to. I don't think there is enough information to say whether Mr. Sinclair is ridiculously sexist. But insisting males answer dumb questions about whether they are pregnant or has been pregnant may be taken as insulting by some people. The NHS cares more about inclusiveness than patient care. The NHS has been on a downhill trajectory for quite some time. Perhaps if the put as much effort into providing medical care as they do for inclusiveness things would be better.

I think this very simple fact of biology keeps getting glossed over.

I find this a particularly interesting dynamic when we compare the responses in this thread to the responses in the thread about responsibility for pregnancy.

In this thread, for many posters, the position is "nobody can tell who is a woman and who isn't, and it's fair and inclusive to ask men (by which I mean males) if they are or have been pregnant, and any man who is put off by being required to answer a patently ridiculous question is just a bigoted oldster who is fragile in their masculinity"

And some of the same posters, in the other thread, are taking the position "it's her body and her uterus, so it's on women to make sure they take the pill, make sure the man wears a condom, and/or make sure he pulls out so she doesn't get herself pregnant. If she doesn't want to behave responsibly to keep herself from getting pregnant, then she should keep her legs closed"

Not all the same posters of course. But it's obvious that EVERYONE KNOWS WHO THE WOMEN ARE. When it comes down to it, there's no confusion, there's no ambiguity. Everyone knows which of us are women and are capable of becoming pregnant.

So we go through the pantomime of making men answer whether or not they might be pregnant as if that accomplishes anything real at all. But it's women losing the right to their own bodies, it's women who are denied medical coverage for contraception and have to pay for it out of pocket, it's women who take on the health risks of oral contraceptives and the responsibility of taking them every single day, and it's women who bear the burden of carrying and caring for a child... or the burden of terminating that pregnancy and the emotional toll that comes with it.

It isn't, but giving blood is. The universal form is for giving blood. The medical industry isn't requiring the guy to get a mammogram or take a pregnancy test. It is a check box on a form. People have become impossible to deal with.

But I can't get pregnant... so I'm not checking that box. Checking that box will be an undue burden on me poor soul unto that of which the world has never known.

Yes, the authoritarians insist he answer questions they already know the answer to. I don't think there is enough information to say whether Mr. Sinclair is ridiculously sexist. But insisting males answer dumb questions about whether they are pregnant or has been pregnant may be taken as insulting by some people. The NHS cares more about inclusiveness than patient care. The NHS has been on a downhill trajectory for quite some time. Perhaps if the put as much effort into providing medical care as they do for inclusiveness things would be better.
Inclusiveness IS good medical care.

Not all the same posters of course. But it's obvious that EVERYONE KNOWS WHO THE WOMEN ARE. When it comes down to it, there's no confusion, there's no ambiguity. Everyone knows which of us are women and are capable of becoming pregnant.
But that isn't true. I don't know who is a transman or a transwoman, unless they care to inform me for some reason. Transmen can and do become pregnant.

I was gonna just leave it but...

Yeah, if you step back and think about it objectively, there's quite a bit that you and I agree on... and only one topic where we partially disagree. Give that some thinking...
I did give it some thinking on that.

The result is best rendered by pointing out that these are the people who stand with you on that "partial" disagreement:

That's the price women pay if they want the penis in the vagina sexy time

Every pregnancy is the result of a woman ovulating

Maybe consider who is standing on your side, when we do happen to have disagreements.

This person seems to understand:
But that isn't true. I don't know who is a transman or a transwoman, unless they care to inform me for some reason. Transmen can and do become pregnant.

High priests sacrificing the sick so that heretics don't get to decide what questions should be on medical forms? A lack of blood because men won't be able to say N/A when something doesn't apply to them or their medical condition? Gee, that's not hyperbolic at all.
Don’t blame the the player. He was turned away.
He was turned away for not filling out the standard form which provides information on the source of the blood.

Those questions aren't there for shits and giggles. Blood without proper documentation shouldn't be used, and for good reason.
That question was not a medical question, it was a question for some “inclusivity” bullshit and some people are not going along with the new religion. It appears inclusiveness is more important than patient care in the NHS.
Asking a potential blood donor if they're pregnant is a medical question. So are the other questions in the pictured document in the linked article - asking them what their job is, if they have ever seen a doctor about their heart, etc. It's all relevant information.

We seem to have circled back to an earlier place in this discussion where some posters are advocating for determining the sex of a patient or blood donor first and then deciding which form they have to fill out (pink for girls and blue for boys). It's inefficient, needlessly complicated, and will waste a lot of time, but apparently some folks like it that way because to them, being treated the same as members of the other sex is demeaning and insulting to men and inconsiderate towards women. To me, having a single comprehensive list of questions for all sexes and genders is treating everyone with the same respect and dignity, and reducing the chances that something important might be overlooked.

Sexism aside, what is the problem with that questionnaire in the linked article? The mere fact that it had to be filled out in order for a blood donation to be accepted?

Last edited:
Yeah, if you step back and think about it objectively, there's quite a bit that you and I agree on... and only one topic where we partially disagree. Give that some thinking...

The result is best rendered by pointing out that these are the people who stand with you on that "partial" disagreement:

Guilt by association is a silly game to play. I disagree with them on most topics, and agree on only one. I agree with you on many topics, and strongly disagree on one. Hell, I'm willing to bet there are topics that YOU agree with them on. Not many, but I bet they exist.

The requirement for ideological conformity is a recipe for disaster.

Guilt by association is a silly game to play. I disagree with them on most topics, and agree on only one. I agree with you on many topics, and strongly disagree on one. Hell, I'm willing to bet there are topics that YOU agree with them on. Not many, but I bet they exist.

The requirement for ideological conformity is a recipe for disaster.
So you've decided then to use "nonconformity" as a way of ignoring the "most people, mostly right" rule.

Perhaps you should ask yourself, again, whether you think that those who are consistently wrong on the majority of topics they comment here on must be right about this one thing?

I get that conformity is not to be desired for its own sake, but nonconformity for the sake of contrariness is not a good look.

Perhaps again you should evaluate the support for your position, and perhaps ask why it is so many people disagree with you all except those who I have mentioned have repugnant viewpoints in general.

It is either because, quizzically, they happen to be right on this one thing you believe in contradiction to the evidence of numerous biologists, medical professionals, engineers, linguists, sports professionals, decision making bodies, medical decision making bodies, pediatric institutions, etc...

Or that this one thing we partially disagree on and which your views align with those who you can fairly well disagree on for most everything else... Perhaps we disagree on it because you are wrong?

High priests sacrificing the sick so that heretics don't get to decide what questions should be on medical forms? A lack of blood because men won't be able to say N/A when something doesn't apply to them or their medical condition? Gee, that's not hyperbolic at all.
Don’t blame the the player. He was turned away.
He was turned away for not filling out the standard form which provides information on the source of the blood.

Those questions aren't there for shits and giggles. Blood without proper documentation shouldn't be used, and for good reason.
That question was not a medical question, it was a question for some “inclusivity” bullshit and some people are not going along with the new religion. It appears inclusiveness is more important than patient care in the NHS.
Asking a potential blood donor if they're pregnant is a medical question. {snip}
Asking a male if he is pregnant is a stupid question. And turning away a potential blood donor is a silly thing to do. I understand you have a hard time understanding why people don't just go along with these diktats but that's a you problem.

Asking a potential blood donor if they're pregnant is a medical question. {snip}
Asking a male if he is pregnant is a stupid question. And turning away a potential blood donor is a silly thing to do. I understand you have a hard time understanding why people don't just go along with these diktats but that's a you problem.
You snipped out my question. Sexism aside, what is the problem with that questionnaire in the linked article?

Your post implies the problem is the mere fact that it had to be filled out in order for a blood donation to be accepted, but your prior posts indicate the real problem for you is that it contains a question that would only get a 'yes' response from someone with female anatomy. Is that all this is about? One question that only a person with a uterus might answer in the affirmative?

You snipped out my question. Sexism aside, what is the problem with that questionnaire in the linked article?
The question has been answered multiple times. It's a dumb, woke question to ask a male if he is or has been pregnant. You can go off on a rant about efficiency etc but we know that's bullshit because the NHS state that the question is in there for "inclusiveness" and not because it's a medical question or because it's more efficient. And the result is that a donor was turned away because he wasn't going along with the silly games. I'll keep typing out the same response because that's the game you want to play and I have nothing else to do just now so it kills a wee bit of my spare time to do so. Ask the same question again and I will copy/paste the same reply. Eventually the mods will move to elsewhere and that will be that.

Got it. So this is just about the guy who thinks he needs to have a form specifically formatted for him because he can't get pregnant. Sounds kind of narcissistic.
Well, it appears he did have such a form, which served everyone for decades, until in around 2015 the Anglosphere decided that men can become women.

Of course they can, because transmen are women.

The question has been answered multiple times. It's a dumb, woke question to ask a male if he is or has been pregnant. You can go off on a rant about efficiency etc but we know that's bullshit because the NHS state that the question is in there for "inclusiveness" and not because it's a medical question or because it's more efficient. And the result is that a donor was turned away because he wasn't going along with the silly games. I'll keep typing out the same response because that's the game you want to play and I have nothing else to do just now so it kills a wee bit of my spare time to do so. Ask the same question again and I will copy/paste the same reply. Eventually the mods will move to elsewhere and that will be that.
Thank you for clarifying.

Your objection isn't that people have to fill out forms, or that the forms have to be filled out completely. Your objection is that in this instance, the form contained a question that would only get a 'yes' answer from a person with a uterus. A man had to say 'no' even though in your opinion most people would have correctly guessed the answer was 'no' just by looking at him.

Thank you for clarifying.

Your objection isn't that people have to fill out forms, or that the forms have to be filled out completely. Your objection is that in this instance, the form contained a question that would only get a 'yes' answer from a person with a uterus. A man had to say 'no' even though in your opinion most people would have correctly guessed the answer was 'no' just by looking at him.
For males, the question is not applicable. Are you going to acknowledge that the question is not about medical concerns?

Back
Top Bottom