• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Male Startup Blasted on Social Media for Creating a Period Glove

I'm not trying to be snarky, but it seems to me like the invention has some merit, and that there could be a female audience out there for it. But if not, then the product fails and the company goes out of business. Like with any other unneeded or poorly marketed product.

I'll admit I don't follow female menstruation issues so I'm a bit uninformed, but my question to the ladies is, if you do need to remove a tampon for some reason, and there is not a trashcan around, what do you do with it? Like if you're on a long hike or out for a run or something? Littering is a bad idea, so do you just put it as-is in your pocket? You don't need the Pinky Gloves product, but it seems like having some sort of plastic bag handy to put it in would be of benefit.
*women everywhere have an epiphany* Oh my god, he's right!

How very odd. This is a case of men inventing a solution for women's problems that women don't actually have. I've been at this for over 30 years now... and the ONLY time I've ever ended up with menstrual blood on my hands was when I hemorrhaged and ended up in the hospital. Technically, that wasn't even menstrual blood, it was just regular old blood. Because the incredibly common ailment that a huge number of women suffer from but were never even told exited tried to kill me.

If men want to do something to help women with their periods... how about insisting that schools teach young women about endometriosis, fibroids, and ovarian cysts during health classes in schools? That would have actually been helpful.

This idea? It's a dumb and useless idea.

Definitely "Thread of the Month" material. May I digress?

Our children are males. One day many years ago I overheard my Lovely teaching the boys how they should take toilet paper and dab the tips of their weenies after taking a wiz. As a self respecting male and as a parent looking out for the psychological wellbeing of our children I had to step in.

Male Startup Blasted on Social Media for Creating a Period Glove

As they should be.

Two German men decided to create a pink disposable period glove so people don't get menstrual blood on their hands when removing tampons and other period products.

Pinky Gloves was originally designed so period products could be disposed of properly and more discreetly.

The founders said after they moved into a "women's flat" they noticed there was "no good solution when it came to the disposal of tampons."

Poor babies! They deserve every bit of backlash they've received.

To their credit, they did apologize and promise to do better moving forward, and refrained from defensive mansplaining.

In summary, don't period shame women and don't make up fake problems for women for you to "solve" without first consulting women and examining your assumptions.

All ideas to new companies sound like bad ideas, at the time of their inception. Otherwise other people would have done it already. The entrepreneurial spirit is exactly this. Not understanding how the world works. Rejecting the limitations everybody else thinks are set in stone. And doing it anyway.

Entrepeneurs are a special breed of human. Absolutely fucking nuts.

But we need them. Or nothing new would ever happen. Bless their little positive hearts and attitude :)

All ideas to new companies sound like bad ideas, at the time of their inception. Otherwise other people would have done it already. The entrepreneurial spirit is exactly this. Not understanding how the world works. Rejecting the limitations everybody else thinks are set in stone. And doing it anyway.

But we need them. Or nothing new would ever happen. Bless their little positive hearts and attitude

You're right! These guys are champions of capitalism, pushing the envelope in the field of pointless plastic shit.

But we need them. Or nothing new would ever happen. Bless their little positive hearts and attitude

You're right! These guys are champions of capitalism, pushing the envelope in the field of pointless plastic shit.

Well... isn't that 99% of everything we blow our money on? Today I bought a t-shirt for my girlfriend with the text "Necronomicook" and a picture of Lovecraft cooking. Was this a life sustaining item? No. Would she have become sad, if she hadn't gotten it? Also, no. Would she have preferred not getting it? Yes. Last week I bought her a Kindle. She will never run out of paper books to read, even if she never again buys a book. On Saturday she and me am going out to a fancy dinner. We will blow more money on that meal than we normally spend on groceries for two months.

Of the stuff that I spend money on a tiny fraction is for things I actually need.

Well... isn't that 99% of everything we blow our money on? Today I bought a t-shirt for my girlfriend with the text "Necronomicook" and a picture of Lovecraft cooking. Was this a life sustaining item? No. Would she have become sad, if she hadn't gotten it? Also, no. Would she have preferred not getting it? Yes. Last week I bought her a Kindle. She will never run out of paper books to read, even if she never again buys a book. On Saturday she and me am going out to a fancy dinner. We will blow more money on that meal than we normally spend on groceries for two months.

Of the stuff that I spend money on a tiny fraction is for things I actually need.

It seems like you have the luxury of being really wasteful with your money. Good for you.

Our children are males. One day many years ago I overheard my Lovely teaching the boys how they should take toilet paper and dab the tips of their weenies after taking a wiz. As a self respecting male and as a parent looking out for the psychological wellbeing of our children I had to step in.

:confused: Step in and support them leaving urine stains in their underpants? I'm not really sure what you're stepping in about... and it's entirely possible that I have no idea where you're going with this. My spouse blots his pecker after peeing, and I've simply assumed that's normal behavior for dudes who don't want pee in their skivvies.

I've always wondered why bad hygiene is so important to people who pee out of their dicks. It's nasty. There is not one male that I've ever done laundry for, which is quite a few, whose underwear did not smell like pee. Why would anyone think that's cool?

I've also been suggesting openly that maybe it's time to teach boys to wipe after peeing. Just seems to be no real reason not to. Of course, this comment may well get an onslaught of "reasons," but there really isn't any except for probably one of those weird, knuckle dragging, chest thumping norms that for some reason men think make them men and without it they would be women or gay or another stupid thing based in ignorance and insecurity and lack of empathy.

But then, men don't have to be any brighter or more aware or cleaner than they are because no one really challenges them to self reflect or look any deeper into their own assumptions, just like with these two dipshits who thought that, one, periods are gross (they are not), two, women can't hygiene their own periods, three, they are mens so they of course can fix this problem that doesn't actually exist, four, there is no need to ask women any questions about this, and five, the solution should be pink so girls will like it.

Just as a fun thought experiment, maybe you could examine those assumptions and guess what's dumb about each of them. :)

I don't say any of this to be mean or to hurt anyone's fragile man-feelings, though the man-feelings will definitely get hurt, and I'm not actually in a rage like so many of you like to believe when I talk about certain things in terms you don't like. I say all this because it just needs to be said in various ways from various sources before it begins to seep past that big fluffy padding of never-having-to-think-about-women-beyond-the-most-superficial because-there's-no-consequences-for-you-if-you-don't-give-a-shit-about-half-the-human-race-beyond-the-sophomoric-assumptions-you-picked-up-in-childhood and into the collective man-conscious.

Not one of those things I listed is hard to figure out or notice what's stupid about it, meaning what should be embarrassingly stupid about it. It's not that difficult to become aware of the reasons so many otherwise excellent humans have such unintended yet massive and consequential (for others) blind spots on reality and how they might overcome them.

I don't say any of this to be mean or to hurt anyone's fragile man-feelings, though the man-feelings will definitely get hurt, and I'm not actually in a rage like so many of you like to believe when I talk about certain things in terms you don't like.

:D I do get rather tired of always having to walk on eggshells in order not to offend male sensibilities. As far as I can tell, it's reinforcement of sexual stereotypes where women are supposed to be considerate, delicate, caring, and eternally comforting, and are supposed to prioritize the feelings and comfort of men above all else.

I've always wondered why bad hygiene is so important to people who pee out of their dicks. It's nasty. There is not one male that I've ever done laundry for, which is quite a few, whose underwear did not smell like pee. Why would anyone think that's cool?

I've also been suggesting openly that maybe it's time to teach boys to wipe after peeing. Just seems to be no real reason not to. Of course, this comment may well get an onslaught of "reasons," but there really isn't any except for probably one of those weird, knuckle dragging, chest thumping norms that for some reason men think make them men and without it they would be women or gay or another stupid thing based in ignorance and insecurity and lack of empathy.

But then, men don't have to be any brighter or more aware or cleaner than they are because no one really challenges them to self reflect or look any deeper into their own assumptions, just like with these two dipshits who thought that, one, periods are gross (they are not), two, women can't hygiene their own periods, three, they are mens so they of course can fix this problem that doesn't actually exist, four, there is no need to ask women any questions about this, and five, the solution should be pink so girls will like it.

Just as a fun thought experiment, maybe you could examine those assumptions and guess what's dumb about each of them. :)

I don't say any of this to be mean or to hurt anyone's fragile man-feelings, though the man-feelings will definitely get hurt, and I'm not actually in a rage like so many of you like to believe when I talk about certain things in terms you don't like. I say all this because it just needs to be said in various ways from various sources before it begins to seep past that big fluffy padding of never-having-to-think-about-women-beyond-the-most-superficial because-there's-no-consequences-for-you-if-you-don't-give-a-shit-about-half-the-human-race-beyond-the-sophomoric-assumptions-you-picked-up-in-childhood and into the collective man-conscious.

Not one of those things I listed is hard to figure out or notice what's stupid about it, meaning what should be embarrassingly stupid about it. It's not that difficult to become aware of the reasons so many otherwise excellent humans have such unintended yet massive and consequential (for others) blind spots on reality and how they might overcome them.

That's all good stuff.

I suppose that if I'd grown up in an environment where some men dabbed their weenies and some didn't I may have become a weenie dabber and passed the acceptable habit onto my kids. But men didn't dab weenies and my concern was that if my kids dabbed their weenies they'd be marked and ridiculed. Men's facilities aren't built for the practice. It would be necessary to go into a stall, get dabbing material, then pee, then dab, then go back into the stall to toss the paper. When I was in the service the urinal was a bathtub and weenies just peed in unison with no dabbers. And there were no stalls, just crappers, no walls, you took a shit and did your pissing for all to see.

So my unfortunate upbringing didn't lend itself to men's dabbing or teaching dabbing to the men under construction. I'm certain you can understand. No doubt I can find fault with the habits of my female kin but to what end? I have no issues with women, menstruation, etc. It all is working fine and if it isn't broken doesn't need fixing, as the saying goes.

But I like new ideas that are practical, productive and advance the human condition.

No doubt I can find fault with the habits of my female kin but to what end?
Well, obviously to the end of warding off any expectation of you questioning your own assumptions.

I have no issues with women, menstruation, etc.
Who cares? Society at large certainly does. And just for another fun thought experiment, in your own words, how does that affect women and girls?

It all is working fine and if it isn't broken doesn't need fixing, as the saying goes.
What's working fine? All the stuff that affects you personally? I would agree with that.

But I like new ideas that are practical, productive and advance the human condition.
Out of curiosity, advance how?

Well, obviously to the end of warding off any expectation of you questioning your own assumptions.

Who cares? Society at large certainly does. And just for another fun thought experiment, in your own words, how does that affect women and girls?

It all is working fine and if it isn't broken doesn't need fixing, as the saying goes.
What's working fine? All the stuff that affects you personally? I would agree with that.

Out of curiosity, advance how?

Again, all good stuff.

Again, all good stuff.

I'm not sure I believe you really think that. Is this just a way of warding off any expectation of you answering the questions? No problem with women. Nothing broken, no need to fix. Nothing more to see here...

This isn't a trap. It's just questions from a fellow human being. Maybe I face things all the time and for as long as I can remember that you never will. Or maybe I don't. I just wish white men could be more curious and empathetic about things that don't affect them.

But I really do appreciate you not taking the easy, lazy way of responding with degrading comments and jokes about emotions, mental illness, whether or not men might find me attractive, etc., in other words, the mindless weapons that society hands you to use against women whenever you're uncomfortable. No sarcasm, that's refreshing.

It seems like you have the luxury of being really wasteful with your money. Good for you.

That's true for anybody living in the west, and also true for most people in the developing world. Most people in the whole world have a very bizarre relationship with the term "need". Considering how much meat supermarkets are selling and how much fancy shit is on the shelves with short expiry dates, no, I don't think I'm more wasteful with my money than most people in the world today. Most consumption today is "keeping up with the Joneses" consumption.

Not to argue with any of you right now, but I just wanted to say that my late father always wiped his pecker after he peed and he was a proud Marine.

How do I know about the wiping? My father complained a few times that we girls were using too much toilet paper when we peed. He told us that he only used 2 sheets. Well, of course he only needed two sheets because he only had to wipe off the head of his dick, but we girls have a lot more going on down there. We have more surface to wipe and that usually requires more than 2 sheets of toilet paper. I guess he was also clueless about female anatomy, or he would realize that when we pee, the pee spreads beyond the urethra or pee hole, if you prefer slang. :)

My husband just told me that men don't have to wipe because when they shake their dicks, it empties out every tiny bit of pee. I never realized until now how important it is for a man to shake his dick after he pees. Learn something new everyday. Still, I don't know why you can't shake and wipe and I did wonder if shaking means there are little pee stains all over the bathroom. Then again, if you're cleaver enough to sit and pee, you can shake your dick into the toilet bowl to avoid getting pee all over the place. Aha! Maybe that's why some married women encourage their husbands to sit on the toilet when they pee. Plus there is the added reward of not missing the toilet and making the wife or whoever cleans it, have to clean it more often because you got pee all over the place.

"This is political correctness gone mad! Tampon gloves? Great idea, that reminds me of vibrators! Men have to put the seat down so women should wear gloves when they take their tampons out! Get off my lawn! I'm a pig and proud of it! I'm not a misogynist because women are perverts too!"
There are things that women could be upset about men (and things that men could be upset about women) but being upset that the toilet seat wasn't lowered always struck me as over the top... a sign of someone too self centered. Maybe men should be upset that women don't raise the seat after they finish so the man won't have to when he is in a hurry.

Finding a raised toilet seat should be reassuring to a woman that the man raised the seat before pissing so didn't piss on the seat.

Not in the middle of the night it don't.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but it seems to me like the invention has some merit, and that there could be a female audience out there for it. But if not, then the product fails and the company goes out of business. Like with any other unneeded or poorly marketed product.

I'll admit I don't follow female menstruation issues so I'm a bit uninformed, but my question to the ladies is, if you do need to remove a tampon for some reason, and there is not a trashcan around, what do you do with it? Like if you're on a long hike or out for a run or something? Littering is a bad idea, so do you just put it as-is in your pocket? You don't need the Pinky Gloves product, but it seems like having some sort of plastic bag handy to put it in would be of benefit.

Why do you think that women need this product?

It is rare that a woman would have need to remove a tampon without being in a bathroom. The only place I can think of would be on a trail while hiking or camping and in that case, one would dispose of a tampon the same way that one would dispose of other solid waste.

That's all good stuff.

I suppose that if I'd grown up in an environment where some men dabbed their weenies and some didn't I may have become a weenie dabber and passed the acceptable habit onto my kids. But men didn't dab weenies and my concern was that if my kids dabbed their weenies they'd be marked and ridiculed. Men's facilities aren't built for the practice. It would be necessary to go into a stall, get dabbing material, then pee, then dab, then go back into the stall to toss the paper. When I was in the service the urinal was a bathtub and weenies just peed in unison with no dabbers. And there were no stalls, just crappers, no walls, you took a shit and did your pissing for all to see.

So my unfortunate upbringing didn't lend itself to men's dabbing or teaching dabbing to the men under construction. I'm certain you can understand. No doubt I can find fault with the habits of my female kin but to what end? I have no issues with women, menstruation, etc. It all is working fine and if it isn't broken doesn't need fixing, as the saying goes.

Why would you go into a stall to get toilet paper and not avail yourself of the toilet? Seems grossly impractical.

Not to argue with any of you right now, but I just wanted to say that my late father always wiped his pecker after he peed and he was a proud Marine.

How do I know about the wiping? My father complained a few times that we girls were using too much toilet paper when we peed. He told us that he only used 2 sheets. Well, of course he only needed two sheets because he only had to wipe off the head of his dick, but we girls have a lot more going on down there. We have more surface to wipe and that usually requires more than 2 sheets of toilet paper. I guess he was also clueless about female anatomy, or he would realize that when we pee, the pee spreads beyond the urethra or pee hole, if you prefer slang. :)

My husband just told me that men don't have to wipe because when they shake their dicks, it empties out every tiny bit of pee. I never realized until now how important it is for a man to shake his dick after he pees. Learn something new everyday. Still, I don't know why you can't shake and wipe and I did wonder if shaking means there are little pee stains all over the bathroom. Then again, if you're cleaver enough to sit and pee, you can shake your dick into the toilet bowl to avoid getting pee all over the place. Aha! Maybe that's why some married women encourage their husbands to sit on the toilet when they pee. Plus there is the added reward of not missing the toilet and making the wife or whoever cleans it, have to clean it more often because you got pee all over the place.

nm

Back
Top Bottom