• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mar-a-Largo raided by FBI?

I’m not making anything g up but I did presume everyone knew that Pence referred to his wife as Mother. My apologies for any confusion.
I was referring specifically to @Jarhyn 's post. I quoted it.

I wasn't talking about the Trump Administration's response to C19 or anything else.

Referring to the mother of your children as Mother is a bit quaint. But frankly, I'd like to see good mothers get more appreciation.

Feminist misogynistic people seem to think that's a problem.
Tom
You said I was making stuff up. I wasn’t.

Within families it is common to refer to parents of people present as Mom or Dad, or Grandma and Grandpa (with grandchildren present). It’s way less common for people to refer to their spouses in general public as Mother or Father much less in a professional setting.

There’s a line between honoring the mother or father of your children and relegating them to existing only as the parent of your children.

Recognizing that women exist as other than mothers and mother figures is not misogyny. I think even Amy Coney Barrett would agree.
Oh, I expect that he has a much more interesting relationship with "mother". It's probably not healthy or acknowledged. It's probably got a fucked up power dynamic.

But I just don't want to have that kind of fetish behavior in the open outside of Pride month, and especially not from someone who treats gays like unpersons not deserving of a real public health response.

It's a different matter when you're in a gay bar, or even acknowledge that gay bars are ok places to be, and when you are Mike fucking Pence.

@TomC: Would you, Tom, like it if I started calling my husband "daddy"? I don't think it would make you very comfortable.

When fantasies dip into the sexual or into themes that minors could very well misconstrue, that kind of shit needs to stay in 18+ rated situations, and we'll away from

OMG
You think Pence is the twisted one?

Oh well. You're very woke. I doubt anyone will notice.
Tom

When my kids were young my wife referred to me as Daddy and I referred to my wife as Mommy. My kids are now 19, 20 and 21 and my wife and I still call each other Mommy and Daddy. It just stuck. It's habit. It's not disrespectful.

The constant repetition of the Pence-calls-his-wife-Mother meme just shows that American politics has run amok.

Within families it is common to refer to parents of people present as Mom or Dad, or Grandma and Grandpa (with grandchildren present). It’s way less common for people to refer to their spouses in general public as Mother or Father much less in a professional setting.

There’s a line between honoring the mother or father of your children and relegating them to existing only as the parent of your children.

Recognizing that women exist as other than mothers and mother figures is not misogyny. I think even Amy Coney Barrett would agree.

After our first child was born we read a story, and then began calling each other 'Daddy-bear', 'Mommy-bear' and 'Baby-bear.' The names stuck and I continued to call my late wife 'Mommy-bear', or more often just 'Mommy.' I also called her 'Super-girl.' I was old enough to be her father (and she often called me 'Daddy-bear') — do I need psychiatry to discover if she was a mother-figure to me? (I admit that in some ways she reminded me of my own extraordinary mother.)

We avoided the names when others were present but I'll guess some acquaintances overheard these pet-names. If I were a Republican politician, I suppose that acquaintance might have reported it to the National Enquirer and I'd be the target of this ridiculous meme instead of Pence.
M
When my kids were young my wife referred to me as Daddy and I referred to my wife as Mommy. My kids are now 19, 20 and 21 and my wife and I still call each other Mommy and Daddy. It just stuck. It's habit. It's not disrespectful.
No, it's not. But if you are in public, without your children around or if you were in a professional setting, would you still call each other Mommy and Daddy?

That but I was thinking in particular of the fact that both served under POTUS who may not have had the mental acuity one would hope for in a POTUS (at least in Reagan’s second term when he was clearly slipping a few cogs)

Quayle was Bush Sr.'s veep...
D'oh. I guess I should not be dinging others for their senior moments....

Relegating women to only motherhood and forbidding, hindering or discounting any other aspect of her life and valuing her only for being a mother is deeply misogynistic.
Lots of older men down south who adore their wives and have wonderful, respectful relationships with them call them mother in public. And sometimes the wives call their husbands papa or dad. I don't see anything disrespectful about that. I also have no idea what the relationship between Mr and Mrs Pence is like.
My grandfather referred to his wife/my father's stepmother as Mommy. Note: They married when my dad was 16. My dad was the youngest of their combined children from previous marriages. All the other kids were grown and out of the house when they got married. They had no children together. Grandpa still referred to her as Mommy....until she died when I was 20 and my dad was pushing 50.

Even as kids, we thought it was...weird.

Relegating women to only motherhood and forbidding, hindering or discounting any other aspect of her life and valuing her only for being a mother is deeply misogynistic.
Lots of older men down south who adore their wives and have wonderful, respectful relationships with them call them mother in public. And sometimes the wives call their husbands papa or dad. I don't see anything disrespectful about that. I also have no idea what the relationship between Mr and Mrs Pence is like.
I'm certain that is true. I'm less certain that is true in professional and formal settings. I'm 100% certain that Indiana is not part of the south, no matter how many Kentuckians migrate north.

I'm certain that is true. I'm less certain that is true in professional and formal settings. I'm 100% certain that Indiana is not part of the south, no matter how many Kentuckians migrate north.

Oh my. So now do we need to extrapolate the Mason-Dixon line westward, or study Pence's biography to see if he spent more time in southern Indiana or northern Indiana?

Or should we convert the thread "mar-a-largo-raided-by-fbi" into "Poll: Is discussion of the Pence-Mother meme the epitome of American political gibberish run amok?"

I vote Yes to the poll question.

There are some people who argue about whether to call this incident a raid, but I checked some dictionaries, and "raid" fits what it is. Especially "police raid".

@TomC if there was something less creepy about it, Pence would actually discuss why he calls her "mother", especially in light of the fact he gets mocked over it.

There are some people who argue about whether to call this incident a raid, but I checked some dictionaries, and "raid" fits what it is. Especially "police raid".
Lawfully executed raid?
"Hello...Secret Service detail? It's the FBI. We have a warrant."

"Hello FBI. This is the Secret Service. Can you show us the warrant?"

FBI: (presents warrant, detailing the places they need to search, and what they are authorized to take)

Secret Service: "Okay, this all seems in order. Come on in. Hey...how 'bout this weather we're having, huh?"

No guns drawn. No doors busted down. No footage that would wind up on an episode of "Fed Cops" on cable, with a shirtless Trump being hauled out of the property and cuffed. Just polite conversations across federal law enforcement agencies.

To hear Trump tell it, they busted down the door and went straight to sniffing Melania's panties and violating the "sanctity" of his golf resort.

No footage that would wind up on an episode of "Fed Cops" on cable, with a shirtless Trump being hauled out of the property and cuffed.
And we know this, for a fact because if it had happened all this would have already been released by Tiny Orange Hands.

No footage that would wind up on an episode of "Fed Cops" on cable, with a shirtless Trump being hauled out of the property and cuffed.
And we know this, for a fact because if it had happened all this would have already been released by Tiny Orange Hands.
Fragilego Mussolini already released the unredacted search warrant.

Was that done to prove there was no "there" there? Nope. It was to put the FBI agents on blast by putting their names out in public.

It makes me wonder how far out Garland has gamed his moves. "If we do this, what will Trump's response be? How will we counter that?" Honestly I think they underestimated how quick team Trump would get "on message," hence the Garland press conference. Trump is actually pretty good at messaging. It remains to be seen if that's enough to overcome legal challenges. As the judge in the Alex Jones trial pointed out..."this is not your show."

Justice Dept. Objects to Releasing Affidavit Used to Search Trump’s Home - The New York Times.

Even as the former president counterattacked, new details emerged of how Mr. Trump and his inner circle flouted the norms, and possibly the laws, governing their handling of government records.

According to two people with knowledge of the situation, Mr. Trump and his chief of staff, Mark Meadows, the man who oversaw presidential records in the chaotic closing days of the administration, failed to organize an effort to collect, box and deliver materials to the National Archives — as prior presidents, and Mr. Trump’s own vice president, Mike Pence, did.

Instead, they often focused on settling political grievances and personal grudges, they said.

In the weeks leading up to Mr. Trump’s departure from the White House, officials discussed what to do about material that he had at various points taken up to the residence and that needed to be properly stored and returned.

By then, the staff secretary, Derek Lyons, known for trying to keep systems in place, had left the administration. Mr. Meadows said he would address such issues, according to a senior administration official.

While all this was happening, a very different scenario was playing out just across West Executive Avenue, in Mr. Pence’s less frenetic office.

As Mr. Trump sought to hold on to power, two of Mr. Pence’s senior aides — Marc Short, his chief of staff, and Greg Jacob, his counsel — indexed and boxed all of his government papers, according to three former offcials with knowledge of the work.

Mr. Jacob spent the bulk of his final few days in government preparing the final boxes, with the goal of ensuring that Mr. Pence left office without a single paper that did not belong to him, one of the officials said.

Haha, looks like some Pence allies throwing Meadows under, with this Goofus and Gallant account.
Sure reads like they are setting up a “it was just a sloppy accident” defense for actual court while they play all the derp state conspiracy theories to their GOP voters.

Pence seems to be the classic "a woman's place is in the home making babies" Republican.
Do you realize how much of American divisiveness is based on people starting assertions with "It seems.." like you just did?

AOC seems to be a classic Communist "useful idiot". You might not think so, but some people do. As long as "It seems..." remains a starting point for ideological extremists that's not going to change.
Tom

And some people think John F. Kennedy jr. Is still alive.

Pence seems to be the classic "a woman's place is in the home making babies" Republican.
Do you realize how much of American divisiveness is based on people starting assertions with "It seems.." like you just did?

AOC seems to be a classic Communist "useful idiot". You might not think so, but some people do. As long as "It seems..." remains a starting point for ideological extremists that's not going to change.
Tom
Only if you're an idiot.

Are you?

I know a lot of folks who do this, no judgements, but none of them are as uncouth as to do it in public.
Dayum you're judgemental.

"Uncouth"? Because he doesn't do things your way?
In public?

Mrs Pence is a mother. A very good one, apparently. She raised good kids while her husband was a busy politician.

Maybe you're just one of those misogynistic feminists who don't think that being a mom is a skilled position. It's not a badge of honor. Moms don't get paychecks, so they don't "really work".

Tom

ETA ~We are getting a bit off topic.~
I expect my CHILDREN to call me mother, NOT my husband. Ick.

I expect my CHILDREN to call me mother, NOT my husband. Ick.
I doubt that your opinion, or that of Jarhyn, are of much consequence to Pence, his family, or the Teapartiers in general.

But this is kind of a strange derailment over a tiny bit of cultural norms.
I don't recall ever hearing Pence use the term. But I probably have and just didn't notice because it just didn't matter.
Tom

Tom
Only if you're an idiot.

Are you?

I can be.
Just last week, I was hurrying to set up the coffee maker. I really needed to get to the bathroom. I came back out to find I'd been distracted enough to forget to put the carafe back under the grounds. An entire pot of coffee had dumped out on the cabinets.

But that's not apropos my post. People commonly start out untrue statements with "It seems...". And it's not just Teapartiers who do that.
Tom

Back
Top Bottom