• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Mar-a-Largo raided by FBI?

blackholemaralago915.png

There are some people who argue about whether to call this incident a raid, but I checked some dictionaries, and "raid" fits what it is. Especially "police raid".
Lawfully executed raid?
"Hello...Secret Service detail? It's the FBI. We have a warrant."

"Hello FBI. This is the Secret Service. Can you show us the warrant?"

FBI: (presents warrant, detailing the places they need to search, and what they are authorized to take)

Secret Service: "Okay, this all seems in order. Come on in. Hey...how 'bout this weather we're having, huh?"

No guns drawn. No doors busted down. No footage that would wind up on an episode of "Fed Cops" on cable, with a shirtless Trump being hauled out of the property and cuffed. Just polite conversations across federal law enforcement agencies.

To hear Trump tell it, they busted down the door and went straight to sniffing Melania's panties and violating the "sanctity" of his golf resort.

That's exactly the point of using the term "raid"--to build a narrative that a legally justified search warrant was some kind of violent overreach by federal storm troopers. It worked in the minds of Trump supporters. They could perfectly well imagine a wild rush into the house by lot of gun-toting, shouting officers in bulletproof vests. They've seen it all on TV and in the movies before. They even "broke into" his safe by asking someone to open it. Why didn't they just ask for the materials? They did? Well, that's Donald Trump. A great former president. Sometimes you need to keep asking and be very, very patient. He has his pride.

Trump watched the search on his house CC and knew perfectly well that it was orderly. It was a raid mainly in the sense that it came as a surprise. Trump underestimated Garland and was shocked by the audacity. Ultimately, some of the content of the boxes might have needed to be destroyed to prevent it from being used against him, and the fear was that he was in the process of doing that. Nobody can be sure that they even got all of the government property that he was hiding.

I find it fascinating (or disturbing) to watch the breakneck speed at which the "Back the Blue" folks have turned into a truck-driving, wraparound sunglasses-wearing version of NWA.

Republicans lost their collective shit when "Fuck Tha Police" came out, and squeezed out what little shit they had left when Ice-T released "Cop Killer." GOP politicians all the way up to the President expressed outrage over the idea that someone would say such things about law enforcement.

Now? We're 19 months past Trump supporters chanting "Fuck the Blue" on their way past the bloodied Capitol Police, right wingers are calling for violence against the FBI, and conservatives on social media are losing their minds over the fact that the IRS is hiring more agents, apparently unaware of the fact that IRS agents are also law enforcement.

Border Patrol shoots some brown kid throwing rocks? Local cops gun down a black kid pulling a candy bar out of his pocket? "Back the Blue!!!"

Federal law enforcement politely asks other feds if they can look around old white man's house in Florida for evidence of crimes? "Gestapo! "

The cognitive dissonance is breathtaking.

(and now, back to the completely relevant discussion of the sexual proclivities of the former VP)

And of course none of them note the real issues with a small back hole like that--if two people can wheel it on a cart it's glowing awfully brightly and probably is about to put the Tsar Bomba to shame.

And of course none of them note the real issues with a small back hole like that--if two people can wheel it on a cart it's glowing awfully brightly and probably is about to put the Tsar Bomba to shame.
I'm pretty sure we've only ever recorded something like that happening once, near the edge of the observable universe, seen happening, if I understand it, at a particular epoch of spacetime where there would have been black holes small enough to be hotter than their background

As to where they come from, someone had to change that diaper eventually.

Pence seems to be the classic "a woman's place is in the home making babies" Republican.
Do you realize how much of American divisiveness is based on people starting assertions with "It seems.." like you just did?

AOC seems to be a classic Communist "useful idiot". You might not think so, but some people do. As long as "It seems..." remains a starting point for ideological extremists that's not going to change.
Tom
Only if you're an idiot.

Are you?

I can be.
Just last week, I was hurrying to set up the coffee maker. I really needed to get to the bathroom. I came back out to find I'd been distracted enough to forget to put the carafe back under the grounds. An entire pot of coffee had dumped out on the cabinets.

But that's not apropos my post. People commonly start out untrue statements with "It seems...". And it's not just Teapartiers who do that.
Tom
People commonly make unsupported allegations and unfounded declarations when they don't start out with "It seems..."

It might seem to a Trump supported that there were irregularities in the vote count in Edison County, MI, but to say that there were is to make a declaration of faith, not a statement of fact.

Pence seems to be the classic "a woman's place is in the home making babies" Republican.
Do you realize how much of American divisiveness is based on people starting assertions with "It seems.." like you just did?

AOC seems to be a classic Communist "useful idiot". You might not think so, but some people do. As long as "It seems..." remains a starting point for ideological extremists that's not going to change.
Tom
Only if you're an idiot.

Are you?

I can be.
Just last week, I was hurrying to set up the coffee maker. I really needed to get to the bathroom. I came back out to find I'd been distracted enough to forget to put the carafe back under the grounds. An entire pot of coffee had dumped out on the cabinets.

But that's not apropos my post. People commonly start out untrue statements with "It seems...". And it's not just Teapartiers who do that.
Tom
People commonly make unsupported allegations and unfounded declarations when they don't start out with "It seems..."
Thing is, with Trump supporters, there's no "seems" about it.

They flat-out state as fact that the 2020 election was "stolen" from him. A majority of the GOP voters - not the "base," but the whole shebang - think this is fact. A majority of the folks running for office on the GOP ticket have as part of their platform "we're not going to let the Dems steal the election again" as if that was actually a thing.

RVonse: Does this "seem" like a problem? Because it "seems" to me like half the American electorate believing a flat-out lie perpetrated and promoted by their party might just be problematic.

But hey...Hunter Biden's laptop. Right?

So, is this the largest security breach in the nation's history? World history?

The real burn is. … WE DON’T KNOW.
It could be a bunch of over classified trivia, it could be everything any despot ever wanted to know about US plans and capabilities, or it could be anything in between.
That’s why there’s a hearing today.
What irks me is that it’s a win for Trump, insofar as it forces a further weakening of US security just to make that determination.

Speaking of Pence

The republicans internal civil war continues. I doubt a single hard core Trump supporter is listening to Mike while the Cheney type of voters are doing just that.. When Pence said "the republican party is the party of law and order" the MAGA crowd was like "No shit, that's why we what the FBI defunded!". It's a cartoon. :ROFLMAO:

Probably. In my opinion, the next move the FBI makes will confirm the severity. If for example, they decide to subpoena all communications and exchange of data in relation to the files retrieved my answer changes from probably to definitely.

Probably. In my opinion, the next move the FBI makes will confirm the severity. If for example, they decide to subpoena all communications and exchange of data in relation to the files retrieved my answer changes from probably to definitely.
We had a known conman elected into access to the most sensitive information our society produces.

They spent 4 years in that role.

It's not probably, it is already definitely.

It's more about putting a number on it though, to fully scope the damages.

Yeah, that would be hard to dismiss. But still no telling who Cheato already leaked, sold or gave what.

The first thing that I thought about was that 2 billion $ the Saudis “gave” Jared for no apparent reason other than endorsing Keshoggi’s murder …

Yeah, that would be hard to dismiss. But still no telling who Cheato already leaked, sold or gave what.
Well, I mean there's video documentation of them leaking numerous things, in public address no less.

There's at least that much telling already.

NYT - Why did Trump keep the docs

It all belonged to him, he felt, melded together into a Trump brand that he had been nurturing for decades.

The orange clown did not even know what he had. He kept the documents like a trophy - like a 3rd grader! o_O

He would rip up classified information which he had not read and throw it on the floor or in the toilet like the immature child he is.

Staffers or valets would carry around cardboard boxes of the stuff behind him!!

Judge signals he’s willing to unseal some of Mar-a-Lago affidavit

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — A federal judge said Thursday that he is “inclined” to unseal some of the affidavit central to last week’s FBI search of former president Donald Trump’s Florida home, instructing the Justice Department to redact the document in a way that would not undermine its ongoing investigation if made public.

Federal Magistrate Judge Bruce E. Reinhart, appearing to reject the government’s argument for keeping the entire document sealed, said he would make a determination after next Thursday, when Justice Department officials are expected to submit their proposed redactions.

Back
Top Bottom