• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

McCarthey out as Speaker of the House - Bozo the clown on deck

Greene, Boebert among pro-Jordan holdouts despite Scalise nomination | The Hill
Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) and Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) are among the at least half dozen Republicans who have committed to not voting for Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.) in Speaker of the House votes this week, despite a secret ballot process which saw the Majority Leader nominated as the caucus’ choice.

The pair committed their votes instead to Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), Scalise’s opponent in the caucus vote.
House recesses as Scalise looks to secure Speakership votes: Live coverage | The Hill

Scalise secures GOP Speaker nomination | The Hill
Scalise secured the nomination 113-99 in a closed-door GOP conference meeting, defeating House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) in a close race that did not have a clear front-runner heading into the internal vote.

The floor fight could get messy. Candidates need the support of a majority of the chamber to take control of the gavel and Republicans hold a razor-thin majority. McCarthy required 15 rounds of voting to secure the gavel.

Multiple Republicans have already said they won’t vote for Scalise on the floor and others remained non-committal.

Jordan, however, said he offered to deliver a nominating speech on Scalise’s behalf.

In the meantime, the Democrats nominated Hakeem Jeffries.

Look for more turmoil as Steve Scalise's supporters try to persuade every other Republican in the House to vote for him.

What do the R's see in SS? Someone dull but who nevertheless gets his work done? A workhorse politician and not a showhorse one?

As to Donald Trump, in a recent interview with Brian Tyler Cohen, AOC said that she doesn't think that Donald Trump will enjoy being Speaker, because of all the work that he'll have to do in that position -- no Executive Time at noon. A reference to him spending much of each day as President in "Executive Time" -- mainly watching Fox & Friends and tweeting.

AOC herself knows something about getting work done. She recalled in that interview when she quizzed Michael Cohen early in her first term about Donald Trump's property's jumping valuations and who might know about those valuations. Very different from the grandstanding of many of her fellow Reps.

There'll be no vote today. I would guess they're going to try to lock down enough votes for Scalise (or anybody) before they bother taking it to the floor. So could take awhile.

There'll be no vote today. I would guess they're going to try to lock down enough votes for Scalise (or anybody) before they bother taking it to the floor. So could take awhile.

Well, there's no rush. It's not like the country needs a functioning House of Representatives. We've managed so far with one that almost never gets anything done, but it had a Speaker who could try to pretend to get things done.

Well Scalise has an okay record when it comes to funding for Ukraine so he should be malleable in these regards.

Who can be malleable when they have a motion to vacate rule in place? The whole idea of that rule is to allow MAGA to control the Speaker no matter what his or her politics is. The MAGA caucus might trust promises of obedience from Scalise in exchange for their votes, because Scalise does not have McCarthy's record of breaking his promises. OTOH, Scalise is more radical than McCarthy, so he might be someone the nihilists can trust to help them throw bombs and wreck the government.

Scalise is white supremist. He said he is like David Duke without the baggage.

Waiting for Godot.

McCarthy really wants to get back in the speakership, so he will probably do what he can to undermine Scalise, who is his chief rival. Jordan is the MAGA champion, but that is why I think it comes down to Scalise or McCarthy. You can see in that interview that McCarthy is salivating for Scalise's failure.

As to Steve Scalise, has he changed much over the years?

It is indeed possible to change, as Supreme Court Justice  Hugo Black had demonstrated. He started out wearing white robes and scaring black people and he ended up wearing black robes and scaring white people.

Early in his career, he joined a local chapter of the Ku Klux Klan, something that he said he did for social networking. He insisted that he was always law-abiding, however, meaning that he did not participate in KKK terrorism. But he eventually became a Supreme Court Justice, and he was involved in some civil-rights decisions.

Scalise pulls out.
article said:
“I am sure there will be a lot of people that look at [running], but it’s got to be people that aren’t doing it for themselves and their own personal interests,” he said.
This means... who knows. That leaves Jordan and just 215 or so House Republicans that could go for it now.

Scalise pulls out.
article said:
“I am sure there will be a lot of people that look at [running], but it’s got to be people that aren’t doing it for themselves and their own personal interests,” he said.

Maybe Scalise was thinking of Jordan.

"Yesterday in conference, he gave the most disgraceful, ungracious — I can’t call it a concession speech — of all time," the Scalise ally added. "There were gasps in the room.”

Then Wagner recalled another moment that lost Jordan her support. It took place during a private meeting between Scalise and Jordan, less than an hour after the majority leader won the House GOP's internal speaker ballot. Wagner wasn't in the room, but she remained outside in Scalise's office and took in the immediate aftermath.

According to Wagner and other House Republicans briefed on the meeting, Jordan said to Scalise: “You get one ballot. And when you go down, you will nominate me.”

She said Scalise pushed back, arguing he had won by the conference rules, to which Jordan replied: “America wants me,” before storming out the door.

And perhaps that has killed Jordan's chances.

Jordan? Seriously?
A mindless mouth that runs on without constraint?
If that lying idiot gets 200 votes, that will be the end of my last shred of faith in humanity.

Back
Top Bottom