• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

McCarthey out as Speaker of the House - Bozo the clown on deck

At some point, they are going to act like adults, right? Maybe not mature ones, but adults.

The GOP is trying to keep their laundry from out of view, but they should be doing their damned jobs in the House right now. Things need to be done. Yes, most of it is BS partisan grandstanding regarding Hunter Biden, but we do need to keep the lights on! Tuberville's inexcusable blocking of military nominations is bad enough. Now the GOP is refusing to even open the doors at the House by naming a speaker.

Most likely the House will vote to remove the constraints on Speaker Pro Tem McHenry, allowing that guy (a big pusher of Trump’s trillion dollar giveaway to Republican donors) to run the show for the rest of the interval between now and the 2024 election. No shame, no blame, no embarrassment for the clowns.

From my point of view, there are way too many narcissists in the House GOP - it is either their way or no way. Compromise is a dirty word to those people. Which means very little can get done. And getting nothing done is okay with most of them.

Austin Scott (R-GA) put his hat in the ring. He did NOT vote to overthrow the election on January 6th. In fact, he emphatically refused to do so. Maybe he becomes the adult in the Republican Carcass.

Austin Scott (R-GA) put his hat in the ring. He did NOT vote to overthrow the election on January 6th. In fact, he emphatically refused to do so. Maybe he becomes the adult in the Republican Carcass.

He also announced his opposition to Jordan, which means he probably will get all the Scalise supporters. Beyond that, he will just eat up more time before being unelected to the post. I still think that McCarthy has an outside chance at a comeback. At some point, there may be enough non-MAGA Republicans to strike some kind of unity deal with Democrats. That's my hope, anyway. Maybe all the Republicans will vote to expand pro-McCarthy McHenry's powers, although I suspect they won't even get the votes to do that.

I think Austin Scott is the unity deal guy. I'd prefer Chris Smith, but this guy at least accepted the outcome of an election.

I can't imagine that'd be legal. They could just vote for McHenry.
They can't get that kind of commitment from their idiots. But if he's just "pro tem", they can probably get a signoff as long as the clowns are permitted to make a public show of being bullied. And yeah they will have to fudge a few rules...

It is Austin Scott v Jim Jordan. Honestly, I think Jordan could win the majority of the GOP, but I don't see him getting the majority. I could see Austin Scott not getting enough GOP support, but getting over the line with the Dems. How embarrassing would it be for Gaetz and his clown car of GOP'ers to have an Austin Scott become Speaker with Democrat support?

I think Austin Scott is the unity deal guy. I'd prefer Chris Smith, but this guy at least accepted the outcome of an election.
I'm reading about him now.

"A reliable conservative."

"A mainstream conservative."

He called his fellow Republicans who voted to remove McCarthy as "nothing more than grifters."

And if he publicly came out and said he accepted the results of the 2020 election? I don't like his chances.

Back
Top Bottom