• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

McCarthey out as Speaker of the House - Bozo the clown on deck

Man, this takes some real cognitive dissonance;

View attachment 44357
I know...right?

The Republican Party used to close ranks and vote as a unit. That was the "secret sauce" they employed for most of the last 3 decades. Newt Gingrich (to a certain degree) created the "pick a lane and march in lockstep" strategy. It worked (for the most part) because they all agreed. "This is what we're doing, and keep in mind Reagan's 11th Commandment."

In a very real sense, their own policy was their undoing. Trump managed to secure the nomination and they all marched in lockstep behind him in 2016. But he was never on board with their secret sauce, because he was always in it for himself. After a couple of losses, the more level-headed folks in the once-grand old party realized what was wrong, but were powerless to stop it. Fragilego Mussolini had fractured the party and elevated the "Make Anarchy Great Again" side onto an equal footing with the "we used to be the Party of Reagan" camp. They're not marching in lockstep. They're fighting amongst each other, and Fraudy McFraudface is soaking up the shitshow for his own entertainment.

If the "Radical Left Democrats" were a little more disciplined they'd be able to take advantage of this, but they're still (as always) herding cats.

I know a liberal Democrat who said he voted for Donald Trump in 2016. That really puzzled me.

He said he did so because Donald Trump was going to be the death of the Republican Party.

I'm thinking he might be right. I just wish they wouldn't take down the rest of the country with them.

I know a liberal Democrat who said he voted for Donald Trump in 2016. That really puzzled me.

He said he did so because Donald Trump was going to be the death of the Republican Party.

I'm thinking he might be right. I just wish they wouldn't take down the rest of the country with them.
Which can happen when the people elected to office are as ill informed and partisan as their constituents. These people are supposed to govern, not engage in middle school behavior because their person didn't become class president.

McHenry just booted out Nancy Pelosi from her capitol office as the very first thing he did as pro tem. Wow now that is really an important and necessary emergency move.

McHenry just booted out Nancy Pelosi from her capitol office as the very first thing he did as pro tem. Wow now that is really an important and necessary emergency move.
Not to mention she's in California for Feinstein's funeral.

I think the idea is to express petty anger over the role the Democrats played in ousting McCarthy. McHenry is a McCarthy ally, so this kind of pettiness is pretty much standard Republican behavior these days. Pelosi didn't actually need that office, since her main offices are in the Cannon building. So the move is largely to show how committed they are to abusing liberals and Democrats--always a popular move with other Republicans and MAGA zealots in the voting base.

Awww shit yawl Know what this means right! Time to drop another dope ass track.

Yo yo!

That escalated quickly, no discrepancy,
McCarthy is history, now a question in Jeopardy
Third shortest term, taken out like a rental fee.
First speaker thrown out, by his team not referee
Theodore and Crawford making moves temporarily,
Democrats and some Repubs formed this assembly,
8 joined the team of celebraties
in this penitentiary manifested as the house's daily entry
Boebert, Gosar, Greene, they holdin' down their nominee,
A game of House, who holds the Monopoly?
Secrets unfolded, McHenry holdin' the key,
Acting speaker? Nah, just a runner in this spree.

(Chorus)
House in chaos, switching saddles, gotta play,
musical chairs unraveled through this game of charades
Democrats, Republicans, battles and grenades,
Politics, the theater, humanity's on stage.

(Verse 2)
First woman president, maybe Patty Murray's fate,
Presidential Succession, 1947, whole debate,
House "sorta" functional, the claim to date,
sold the bait, while Gaetz and Co. instigate no mistake
Scalise, Emmer, Stefanik, playing the candidacy,
Who's the next to rise? Politics' fallacy, fantasy
Freedom Caucus, non-Freedom, battling insanity,
Budget fights, our plight lost sight of reality.

(Chorus)

(Verse 3)
Kingmakers of the House, shifting like sand,
Liz Cheneys, Adam Kinzingers, taking a stand,
McCarthy, out like tacet instruments in a band,
previous speakers? Those ideas unplanned.
Gingrich, Hastert, Boehner, Ryan,
Each had their moments, of careers dying, tryin',
McCarthy, 270 days not surprising,
Votes and guesses, like climate policies flying.
Dysfunction, decades facing the same corruption,
Democrats consistent, Republicans sayin nothing
Who's next up? Is it just for the fame?
Politics in the U.S., forever in flames.

(Chorus)

Drops Mic! Yeahhhh booiii!

I think the idea is to express petty anger over the role the Democrats played in ousting McCarthy. McHenry is a McCarthy ally, so this kind of pettiness is pretty much standard Republican behavior these days. Pelosi didn't actually need that office, since her main offices are in the Cannon building. So the move is largely to show how committed they are to abusing liberals and Democrats--always a popular move with other Republicans and MAGA zealots in the voting base.
I think the idea is to get clicks and likes and (most importantly) fundraising over the fact that McHenry "owned the libs."

Is McHenry going to be anything other than a placeholder? No, but he decided to use his brief moment in the shadow of the spotlight to say "hey, look at me! I can own the libs like the rest of 'em! Send money!"

It's actually kinda sad.

McCarthey lost his speakership with all the Democrats voting with 8 Republicans to oust him. I cannot imagine any sane person stepping up to take that job without some real protection.
Bozo the Clown?

I think Dems made a tactical mistake here. They should have made KMcC keep his job by their graces. That way, they would have more leverage when the temporary funding extension expires in 45 days.

This way, there will be either no actual speaker elected by then, or it will be somebody more beholden to Gaetz et al than KMcC was.

That's probably a good thing. The Republicans are going to vote crazy no matter who is in charge. The nuttier they are the more likely we get rid of them in 2024.
And then what? Dems have shown that they have their own crazies too, and the leadership often caves to them. If not for Sinema and Manchin, we'd have double digit inflation due to the $3.5T spending bill in an already overheated economy due to all the COVID spending.

It would be better for moderates of both parties to work together than to cater to nuts like Gaetz and AOC.

McCarthey lost his speakership with all the Democrats voting with 8 Republicans to oust him. I cannot imagine any sane person stepping up to take that job without some real protection.
Bozo the Clown?

I think Dems made a tactical mistake here. They should have made KMcC keep his job by their graces. That way, they would have more leverage when the temporary funding extension expires in 45 days.

This way, there will be either no actual speaker elected by then, or it will be somebody more beholden to Gaetz et al than KMcC was.
I think a smarter strategy would be for the Dems to pick the most moderate republican there is (no idea who) and vote for them, thus totally negating the extremists on the right. Then get some shit done.

Bozo the Clown?

I think Dems made a tactical mistake here.
They should have backed the guy who blamed them for the government almost shutting down the day after they saved his ass by agreeing to a rather vanilla continuing resolution when they knew they had the asshole hanging and desperate because he couldn't get the GOP to authorize buying a postage stamp?

Or should they have defended McCarthy for opening up impeachment inquiry on President Biden and then having the GOP star witnesses say there isn't much at all to impeach President Biden?

Or perhaps they should have supported McCarthy for his vote on January 6th to annul the election results in two states, potentially opening the path for sending the Presidential election to the states and electing Donald Trump President due to obviously bogus allegations of voter fraud that Trump never formally presented in any court in the country?
They should have made KMcC keep his job by their graces. That way, they would have more leverage when the temporary funding extension expires in 45 days.
That math hasn't changed. Change the name of the Speaker to whomever. The government must be funded. It has to be agreed to by the Senate. The GOP tried the shutdown route and was burned by that twice. I don't even think Jordan would shutdown the Government. Gaetz would... but he isn't being named Speaker. Things get a bit more real when you are actually in charge... and become actually to blame. You think McCarthy wanted the Dems help to pass the continuing resolution?

If not for Sinema and Manchin, we'd have double digit inflation due to the $3.5T spending bill in an already overheated economy due to all the COVID spending.

Tax cuts matter!

And then what? Dems have shown that they have their own crazies too, and the leadership often caves to them.
No.

Dems have people with ideas that are poor, and which sometimes get implemented anyway; They have some silly ideas that probably shouldn't have been implemented, and sometimes need to be reexamined, rolled back, or even reversed. They make mistakes, often due to the prioritising of half-baled ideology over facts and realities.

But they don't have many genuinely crazy crazies. And the few they do have rarely have their wild ideas implemented.

Meanwhile, the GOP has not just allowed craziness to flourish, but have collapsed completely into an orgy of unrestricted craziness, in which anyone who doesn't fully embrace the maximum possible level of insanity is ruthlessly eliminated, and whereby the Crazy-in-Chief has decided that he should be supreme ruler for life regardless of the opinions expressed by voters.

Your comparison is beyond absurd. There's no remotely close similarity between the two parties, in regards to level of crazy, and to suggest that there is is disingenuous at best.

In the crazy world cup, if the GOP is Brazil, then the Dems are the Talbot Road Primary School under-six third eleven. They're possibly playing the same game, but they're in such completely different leagues that it's ridiculous to try to compare them.

I think the idea is to get clicks and likes and (most importantly) fundraising over the fact that McHenry "owned the libs."

Is McHenry going to be anything other than a placeholder? No, but he decided to use his brief moment in the shadow of the spotlight to say "hey, look at me! I can own the libs like the rest of 'em! Send money!"

It's actually kinda sad.
McCarthy wants the office.

You can't always get what you want. I can't remember which band that was. Typing from my phone.

Edit: Rolling Stones. Took me minute.

Back
Top Bottom