• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Men wearing dresses

I've had a silly-looking but semi-serious question for some time. This thread gives me an opportunity to ask it.

Why do men wear trousers, while women wear skirts? Wouldn't the reverse of this be more practical?

I'm thinking of the differing packaging needs. Trousers, especially if they're tight, flaunt a man's junk. And just as parting one's hair on the left or the right is a cosmetic decision, so men may need to decide which pant-leg to park their convex appendage in. (I've not had these problems since middle age.) Women, being more concave, do not have such issues.

I know the answer to this. Traditionally having anything against a woman's vagina has been seen as horrendously shameful. An honorable woman would wear nothing on her lower body but long skirts open below. Wearing trousers or panties is something that has been associated with prostitutes since antiquity. Yes, we've had trousers since antiquity.

Historically having practical clothing has been associated with the lower classes. Having impractical and unnecessarily expensive clothing has always signaled being fancy. Which is why expensive branded clothing today has higher status than qualitatively identical clothing from cheaper brands. It's the same idea.

Up until the 14'th century men never wore pants. Men were, what's essentially a short dress (called a "blouse"). Women wore long dresses. If it was cold men would wear long socks. After the 14'th century men started wearing breeches. Which is shorts. So not much more cover. And stockings. Yes, stockings started out as male coded wear. As was high heeled shoes.

Trousers existed all along (since antiquity) but was simply practical work wear for the lower classes to protect their lower legs while working in the fields, or to protect them from splashing effluence while working in slaughterhouses, tanneries etc. Or for lower ranking soldiers.

After the French Revolution nobility became associated with backwardness. The French army switched to trousers for all ranks. 19'th century men's fashion was heavily influenced by Napoleonic era soldiers clothing. So in all of Europe modern minded men ditched breeches for trousers. Suit jackets were adapted to look like army jackets. Modern business suits are still modelled on the Napoleonic era army jacket. The tie, cravat and bowtie, all come from the colorful necktie musketeers used to minimize chaffing from all the leather straps hung around their necks and shoulders.

To sum up. Historically men always begun all new clothing fashions. They start out as male coded. Over time women will adapt them and over time might end up female coded. Practicality has never been a driving force behind fashion. Rather the opposite. The more impractical the fancier and higher status.

Evolution is a slow process. Apart from white people losing some of our skin pigment, not much have happened to our bodies since we left the Rift valley in modern Kenya. Hunter/gatherers from that area don't need clothes for protection. And that's what we've evolved for. Black people actually still excellently adapted for just that climate even if naked. And that's the climate our instincts have evolved for.

Also, it's a question of what you're used to. Humans are highly adaptable. Swedes spend a lot of time in the cold. We go skinny dipping in the winter and so on. WE get used to it. Once I went diving in Egypt in the winter (10 degrees Celsius). After hours of diving our bodies were severely chilled. When we got out of our wetsuits and were going to dry off, the Egyptians, Americans, French, Vietnamese and Korean in our group looked like they were dying from the cold. The Norwegians, Russians and me were all fine.

Genetically we're all the same. So it's not genetics. It's just a question of what you're used to.

What's possibly more practical than being naked? It requires zero effort to get ready in the morning. After we've been swimming naked there's zero wet swimming clothes to bother with.

, plus I doubt that most women really want heterosexual men gawking at their genitals. I know I sure don't.
Plus, as an aside....When working as a home health nurse, I saw far too many naked, boobs, penises, vaginas, etc. I would prefer not to look at naked bodies. It's not a moral thing. I just don't think most naked bodies are pleasing to the eye, especially these days. Please cover up that stuff. :D.

I can assure you that this is a cultural artifact. It's a weird hang-up. I'm from Scandinavia. Northern Europeans (Germanic tribes and Viking regions) have cultures very relaxed about nudity. I regularly go skinny dipping in the Copenhagen harbour during the middle of the day. It's smack in the center of Copenhagen. Nobody cares. Nobody has a problem with it. Nobody is offended. Nobody stops to stare. And more importantly. I'm not alone. Lots of people do it.

You don't need to spend a lot of time naked together with your family and grand parents in a sauna to get relaxed about it. I'd argue that it's the healthy thing to do. Young people would have a hell of a lot less hang ups about their bodies if they were surrounded by normal people, letting it all hang out.

South Europeans and Americans are noticeably more neurotic about sex and intimacy than Northern Europeans.

I don't think this cultural obsession about covering up and hiding your eyes from public sexuality is healthy. It seems to make people really twisted and weird in the head. With all kinds of weird hang ups about sex and sexuality. It seems to make people fearful of both other people as well as their own bodies. From a Scandinavian perspective their behaviour around sex is very odd.

Me personally, I've stopped having sex with Americans and Italians. Too much weird hang ups and fucked up ideas about what sex is and should be. It too often feels like having sex with a child in an adults body. Even Arab women are more relaxed about their sexuality than Americans. Just my impression from decades of being a slut.

It's also not healthy letting our skin be exposed to the sun. It puts one at risk for serious sunburn, and skin cancer, especially if one has fair skin, but even people with darker shades of skin are at a risk of these things, so there are plenty of reasons to wear clothing.

Sure. But the face is no less at risk than the rest of the body, and no culture has issues about letting our faces be exposed to the sun. So it's clearly not that.

There may be lots of bearded men with dresses in your neck of the woods, but I promise you that won't happen in my very conservative American city.

Copenhagen is extremely liberal. Berlin, Amsterdam and Copenhagen is the three most liberal cities I've ever been to in the world. That's why I chose to move to Copenhagen.

Yeah, we have a lot of bearded men in dresses. It wouldn't get any reaction in these parts. I have a Danish friend here. And ex soldier. An absolutely massive guy. Well over two meters tall and a mountain of muscles. And a big beard. Always wears West African colourful kaftans. So a dress basically. Nobody has ever looked twice. Nobody cares over here.

I am not offended by nudity. I just think that most people look better wearing clothing. It's about aesthetics, comfort and protection.I grew up in a climate that had cold winters. By the time I was about 12, I hated the cold and was always cold. We are all a little bit different when it comes to how we are able to tolerate extremes in temperature. Enough. We have different opinions. No problem.

I've had a silly-looking but semi-serious question for some time. This thread gives me an opportunity to ask it.

Why do men wear trousers, while women wear skirts? Wouldn't the reverse of this be more practical?

I'm thinking of the differing packaging needs. Trousers, especially if they're tight, flaunt a man's junk. And just as parting one's hair on the left or the right is a cosmetic decision, so men may need to decide which pant-leg to park their convex appendage in. (I've not had these problems since middle age.) Women, being more concave, do not have such issues.

Okay. I'm being humorous, but I do think that generally speaking men's legs aren't something that look good in dresses. Perhaps all you men could wear maxi dresses, as they were called in the 60s. They went down to the ankles. Anyone else old enough to remember that style? :D

Okay. I'm being humorous, but I do think that generally speaking men's legs aren't something that look good in dresses. Perhaps all you men could wear maxi dresses, as they were called in the 60s. They went down to the ankles. Anyone else old enough to remember that style? :D
My oldest stepson went through a period where he wore skirts just because it was fun. He was strictly straight in orientation but had a lot of gay friends. My ex-husband was appalled; I rather enjoyed it myself as I do have a rather warped sense of humor.

And I have to tell you - his legs were better than many women I know. Very nicely shaped and muscled. He did keep them shaved. :D

Ruth

My oldest stepson went through a period where he wore skirts just because it was fun. He was strictly straight in orientation but had a lot of gay friends. My ex-husband was appalled; I rather enjoyed it myself as I do have a rather warped sense of humor.

And I have to tell you - his legs were better than many women I know. Very nicely shaped and muscled. He did keep them shaved. :D

Ruth

Well, since he kept them shaved, that probably made a big difference. I was thinking of men with very hairy legs or men like my tall husband who has very long, skinny legs.

It's certainly good to have a sense of humor about things like this.

I'm thinking you're doing it backwards.

Parking it in either pants leg strikes me as uncomfortable. And it could be really uncomfortable if it should get not so floppy. However, that's a matter of underwear, not one's outer garment. I can see no anatomical benefit either way, although I do think skirts would be slightly cooler than equal-length legged garments.

Since the OP brought up the specific issue of “they/them/their" and made several comments about the topic of gender fluidity and non-binary people (although tucked into a seemingly benign, lighthearted topic, and everyone better be nice and not challenge those comments), they're getting a response.

So just to be clear, this is not a derail by any means, as the OP well knows.

southernhybrid said:
I'm really trying to understand this non binary thing, but I'm having trouble. Apparently some transgender folks despise it too, according to several articles I read earlier today.
Oh, thank goodness. What a relief to find confirmation.

And, please, if you must be non binary, pick a pronoun other than they.
Please, you are no one’s authority but your own. No one's telling you what pronouns you should prefer.

And “If you must be non-binary”? You really do need to continue trying, as in put in honest effort, to "understand this non-binary thing."

They implies two people,
”They” means singular or plural, and has for a long time in writing and in casual language. Please stop asserting this falsehood.

not one person who identifies as two genders depending on the day.
Wow, so respectful. And yes, “they” does apply to that person if that’s what they want.

I've heard a neurologist say that there is evidence for transgender, but not for non binary.
Ooh, you’ve “heard.” Thank goodness for that nibble of confirmation.

Your comments about gender fluidity, non-binary, and pronouns have been ignorant, disrespectful, entitled, and dictatorial.

My first reply to this was not “hateful” as you insinuated as a way of deflecting criticism. This is Social Science. You put this in the right place for discussion. And calling out your despicable views is not hateful. You claim to be respectful and yet you are anything but, and then trying to pretend that not coddling you is some kind of wrongdoing. You don’t actually get to tell other people how to respond to your statements.

I have no problem with the singular use of "they" when the context describes a situation when the gender is unknown. By default there is an uncertainty about the particulars of the person in question.
We've heard and used "they" as the singular throughout our lives. No one is confused by it, not even people who think they are entitled to know another person’s gender or to tell them they can’t prefer the pronoun “they.” In fact, "they" in this specific context was Word of the Year in 2015 by the American Dialect Society, and same in 2019 by Merriam Webster, and Word of the Decade for the 2010s by the American Dialect Society.

Not that those facts are the end all be all of the topic, but interesting nonetheless to see that organizations whose job it is to record word definitions and usage also see no problem in using "they" in the singular in the context of non-binary people or people of gender unknown to you.

The only times we truly do not understand what someone is saying is when they are speaking an entirely different language or almost entirely gibberish, and not just a word or two here and there. And on the occasion when a word or two is truly not understood in context, we ask or we look it up. Again, there is literally no problem understanding "they" in the singular.

There is zero cognitive or psychological problem with using a familiar, 400-year old form of "they" in the singular. Acceptance of this form has ebbed and flowed, but has existed for centuries and is commonplace today.

It's also acceptable to use "they" in the singular both in writing (most forms) and not just in casual language, which all of us use. It's very common and has been for centuries and certainly throughout your lifetime and mine. Furthermore, in the dynamic movements of language, informal words often become acceptable as formal and vice versa, sometimes becoming obsolete or returning from the grave into contemporary usage again.

And for anyone who believes this kind of usage is a slippery slope into linguistic tyranny and “thought police,” NO, it is not. It’s just usage changing, as it always does and always will, regardless of end-of-the-world-right-wing-animal-brain fear mongering hijacking your frontal lobes’ supply of oxygen and glucose. Get a hold of yourself.

Typically that means it might be a man or a women.

"Typically" in what context? In the context of the actual history of the word and our human ability to understand new usages and definitions no matter what the context? Or the context of one person's preferences and ideological identity group making judgments of other people's use of a particular word?

So that means the context is some group that cannot be defined as him or her but includes both.
It is defined as either plural or singular, and, more importantly, you are not automatically entitled to personal information about others just because you're used to having it embedded in words.

Consider that a lot of people use "partner" to mean their wife or husband in an otherwise traditional heterosexual marriage. In case anyone hasn't heard this, it’s a thing now.

If you are only used to the terms, husband (male), wife (female), Mr., Ms., etc., and then hear "partner," you might at first assume something about the relationship, which is understandable and not necessarily a judgement on your part, but then learn that the couple is a traditional heterosexual marriage, you won't continue to automatically make that assumption when you hear "partner." You might have other reactions and thoughts about it, but you won't assume it's a non-traditional relationship.

Those heterosexual couples are using "partner," not because they feel the need to hide anything about themselves (because they recognize that society accepts them as the norm), or bevause they just want to be cool and trendy, but because they want to help people get used to the fact that they are not automatically entitled to personal information about others just because the language they are used to using does automatically give or suggest that information. If they need such information for some reason they can ask for it.

We are all fully capable of making this minor adjustment to our understanding of a common word that has been used as the singular form for 400 years, and that's historically as well as right now, in this language and culture that you and I share. This context, right here, the one you and I are most familiar with, the use of "they" in the singular is not at all an issue in reality except in a few neutral writing contexts or when attached to things that conservatives don't like and also believe they are entitled to dictate to groups of people they’ve turned into two-dimensional, superficial cartoons because they don’t understand non-binary.

As I mentioned, it's not even uncommon. Colloquially, it's ubiquitous. Your brain is already perfectly fine with using "they" in the singular and so is everyone else's barring some specific issue such as learning disability.

This issue has real consequences in the real world that we live in, and it behooves anyone who thinks they have something new or as yet unheard of perspective on this topic to know what they are talking about before dismissing what marginalized people are telling you. Simply asserting preferences and opinions based in childhood rote learning doesn't count as knowing what you're talking about. It just counts as presenting preferences and opinions as facts or useful commentary.

The use of "they" as a singular is The plural form is therefore appropriate and carries some meaning.
This sentence appears to be a casualty of editing.

But in the case where the context concerns one individual there is no rational basis to use the plural "they", or "their".

There is a mountain of rational basis for using "they" and "their" in the context of an individual. Plus we already use it anyway. No one's confused by it. There is literally no problem with it beyond some people's prejudices.

Again, something that doesn't seem to occur to most people - understandably, because in their world, it is never challenged - is that you are not inherently entitled to know anything personal about other people if they don't tell you just because you're used to automatically getting that information through words. Maybe that kind of makes you feel a bit confused and that’s not fair but that doesn't justify dictating to others what pronouns they prefer.

Universal rules of language don't really exist. Ask any linguist and they'll tell you that there are numerous commonalities in languages and how our brains process language, but there are always exceptions and variances.

So who it concerns is everyone who uses the English language

You don't know everyone who uses the English language and cannot possibly know in what ways specific usages of a couple of words might concern them. No one does, but it is not a problem anyway, and so it stands to both reason and to general wisdom that it's much more useful to be flexible and open (because language is) to changes in language that we hear, and to have the self awareness and willingness to reflect on our reactions and assumptions regarding words.

and follows rules of proper diction.
In some contexts, "proper" diction is useful or even required, but not in the context of ordinary language usage of the word "they" in the singular. Following rules of "proper" language is not a matter of either universality or anything absolute, or judgment of usage or persons using words, nor is it required for the purpose of communication.

Using "they" to refer to an individual who neither identifies as male or female is dehumanizing simply because it doesn't acknowledge that person's individuality.

No, it is not dehumanizing if the already dehumanized person says it isn't, and asserting that something is dehumanizing when in reality it is exactly what the dehumanized people in question are asking in order to help society learn to humanize them, please is itself dehumanizing or at the very least, disrespectful to insist on doing the opposite, and this has real consequences for real people.

But I'm very sure that some conservative minds could read your statement and feel quite relieved to hear that their prejudices and world view are "humane" when they are not.

I think you fail to recognize southernhybrid's genuine respect for non-binary individuals, and the discomfort that results from addressing them in this way.

SH's comments convey no such thing. I have responded to all of them and don't plan on repeating them here, but they reflect at the very best a level of ignorance and only a superficial perception of non-binary individuals as fully human and whose value as human beings is a thousand times more important than whether or not they're using "they" and "their" in the singular and asking the rest of us to do the same (though forcing no one).

But I imagine that conservatives having these experiences that challenge their traditions and ideas about rules and obedience - don't make waves, don't challenge the status quo or all life will end - both conscious and subconscious, would make them uncomfortable. In that sense, their statements are certainly understandable. But they are not reflective of an accurate or useful understanding of language or what may be right or wrong in regard to words or people, and their personal discomfort is irrelevant to that, especially in regard to this contrived claim of dehumanization. Respecting people includes letting them tell you what is dehumanizing to them and not insisting on doing the opposite.

That's a pretty sick thing to do to someone, really, like the handmaids in The Handmaid's Tale being given their master's names with the explanation that this practice "honors them."

"I will decide what is dehumanizing to you or not and I will feign sadness when my made up premise is challenged by you saying you prefer the pronoun "they". I care a lot!"

I would think that it's a problem within the non-binary community as well. One I'd think they'd want to resolve. And then everyone could breath easier.

Of course it is. Yes, absolutely! I don't know if I would call it a problem, though. but that'll do. But yeah, it’s kind of a maelstrom, an often contentious one among LGBTQ+ people and their, for some, newfound freedom to express themselves. Everyone has their preferred pronoun. There’s no need for everyone to be the same on pronouns. That's why they tell us and why it is respectful to ask and to do your best to remember it and it’s ok if you forget. It’s only not ok when you purposely refuse. If you value politeness, I would think that would extend to all people, including people who identify in ways that confuse you.

Terminology is a big thing for people who have been marginalized all their lives. They have adapted by living their more easy breathing selves out of the public eye and - this part is important - also by suppressing much of what they feel and experience and bowing to a great extent to the expectations of those around them at home, at school, at work, everywhere. We all lie to ourselves and others if that's what it takes to not be kicked out of the safety of the group.

So imagine living under such conditions and then suddenly find a globally connected media and also more and more a real life connected community of like minded people who have learned the hardest way possible - through threat or actuality of being kicked out of the human community or worse - to be accepting of people who are weird or different or do not meet expected paradigms that are none of your business to begin with and who are hurting no one. Imagine that. I know I’d be crying in relief myself.

So, yes, the community of people who are experiencing a great level of freedom to exist openly due to technology connecting them around the globe and who do not meet their society's standards of sex, appearance, body parts, sexual preferences, relationships, etc., are going to be forming new language around that, around those layers upon layers of real experiences and relationships and a dynamically changing environment, because the existing language in common usage is derogatory, condemnatory, and dehumanizing. It's a language that tells them that if they express themselves freely, they will pay for it in some way that hijacks their animal brain fear of losing the protection of the group at the very least and often fear of brutality and murder.

This is a tactic of cults, by the way, making people afraid of disobeying and not conforming. When a society accepts and cares for the needs of everybody without judgement or condition, cults will find few if any followers there.

No one’s forcing you to say “they” in the singular. Some people are just telling us it’s what they prefer, and in reality there is literally no problem with that outside of the reactions of conservative minds.

I know this post is quite long, but this is not an inconsequential topic by any means. And for the record, I’ve never held any ill will toward SH and in fact I’ve always liked her and enjoy her posts. She has expressed views that reflect great empathy and respect for the people or groups being discussed, has gone to great lengths to understand what she’s talking about, and makes intelligent, nuanced comments on the topic.

But this topic apparently isn’t one of them. And as you can probably guess by now if you have read any of my posts on this topic, I will not be chastised or accused of wrongdoing when I challenge inhumane views, whether the views are asserted by someone who is aware and malevolent or someone who is simply ignorant and rigid on the topic. The end result is the same when such views prevail in society in terms of real policies and social attitudes and real experiences of real human beings.

Last edited:
I have no problem with the singular use of "they" when the context describes a situation when the gender is unknown. By default there is an uncertainty about the particulars of the person in question.
We've heard and used "they" as the singular throughout our lives. ...

If you're so confident about that give me an example instead of just repeatedly asserting it.

The only times we truly do not understand what someone is saying is when they are speaking an entirely different language or almost entirely gibberish, and not just a word or two here and there. And on the occasion when a word or two is truly not understood in context, we ask or we look it up. Again, there is literally no problem understanding "they" in the singular.

If I read somewhere "Mary is going to the ballgame. They will be there around noon." it would be normal to assume that she is going with someone else. If instead it reads "She will be there around noon." then I wouldn't automatically assume that. There's a problem there. Also if I read "They is ..." I'd have to assume there's a typo. According to Merriam-Webster the definition of "is" is "present tense third-person singular of BE." Whereas "They are ..." would indicate the plural.

There is zero cognitive or psychological problem with using a familiar, 400-year old form of "they" in the singular. Acceptance of this form has ebbed and flowed, but has existed for centuries and is commonplace today.

It's also acceptable to use "they" in the singular both in writing (most forms) and not just in casual language, which all of us use. It's very common and has been for centuries and certainly throughout your lifetime and mine. ...

I don't believe I have. If you're so confident about that give me some examples.

Please, you are no one’s authority but your own. No one's telling you what pronouns you should prefer.

So it's fine with you that I go ahead and call some individual him or her rather then they? Then what's the problem and why are you calling that attitude "sick"?

... And yes, “they” does apply to that person if that’s what they want.

Again, something that doesn't seem to occur to most people - understandably, because in their world, it is never challenged - is that you are not inherently entitled to know anything personal about other people if they don't tell you just because you're used to automatically getting that information through words. Maybe that kind of makes you feel a bit confused and that’s not fair but that doesn't justify dictating to others what pronouns they prefer.

I'm not uncomfortable with calling a women "Ms" instead of "Mrs" or "Miss" if they want the same anonymity granted to men by using "Mr". Somehow that's liberating because it's what's acceptable for men, and men have more liberty so it must be good. Whatever! It doesn't bother me or confuse me to do so. But I think that therefore a real need exists for the non-gender community to come up with the same type of solution and invent a convenient pronoun that is suitably gender-neutral rather than bastardizing the use of "they". Either way, they will still be identifying themselves as non-gender. So I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish in terms of personal privacy. But I'm perfectly fine with it if we need to recognize a third category. I'm not rigid and certainly not a conservative with regard to changing social conventions.

That's a pretty sick thing to do to someone, really, like the handmaids in The Handmaid's Tale being given their master's names with the explanation that this practice "honors them."

"I will decide what is dehumanizing to you or not and I will feign sadness when my made up premise is challenged by you saying you prefer the pronoun "they". I care a lot!"

No one’s forcing you to say “they” in the singular. Some people are just telling us it’s what they prefer, and in reality there is literally no problem with that outside of the reactions of conservative minds.

Then please stop calling my views sick and denigrating my sentiments. I cannot refer to an individual as "they" simply because it conflicts with my understanding of the meaning of the word. I explained to you why using logic and reasoning that you haven't yet disputed. I find it dehumanizing to characterize another human being in that way and therefore degrading to my own humanity. It's not just a matter of what they might or might not want. It concerns my own status as a human being. And I as an individual cannot under any understanding of the word be a they.

If you're so confident about that give me an example instead of just repeatedly asserting it.

I'm not going to do a search now, but throughout my posting history on this site, I have often used they/them as a general pronoun when not wishing to specify he/she him/her.

For years before I started noticing all of the which pronouns do you prefer stuff got started. No one has seemed to have a problem understanding me and in my memory, no one has remarked upon it, much less called me out on it.

I have used they/them/theirs as a convenience, not as a political statement.

I'm not going to do a search now, but throughout my posting history on this site, I have often used they/them as a general pronoun when not wishing to specify he/she him/her.

For years before I started noticing all of the which pronouns do you prefer stuff got started. No one has seemed to have a problem understanding me and in my memory, no one has remarked upon it, much less called me out on it.

In my opinion the only correct way to use they is as a way to refer to a group as a whole. What is referred to as the singular form of they is correctly used only to indicate the existence of two or more subgroups. Such as when a group is of mixed gender and so him or her is not appropriate. Therefore the plural they still carries meaning. If you'd provide some example I can show you what I mean.

In my opinion the only correct way to use they is as a way to refer to a group as a whole. What is referred to as the singular form of they is correctly used only to indicate the existence of two or more subgroups. Such as when a group is of mixed gender and so him or her is not appropriate. Therefore the plural they still cares meaning. If you'd provide some example I can show you what I mean.

Again, not going to search my post history. I understand what you are saying from a strict, traditional grammatical sense. But if someone really wanted to, I am sure that they could easily find an example in some of my posts. (see what I did here?)

I regard posting here as taking part in an informal discussion. I can get pissy about definitions, that's true. But I habitually will use they/them when the individual's sex is unknown or irrelevant and could be male or female. In other words as a general third person pronoun, suitable for any person regardless of sex or gender.

In my opinion the only correct way to use they is as a way to refer to a group as a whole. What is referred to as the singular form of they is correctly used only to indicate the existence of two or more subgroups. Such as when a group is of mixed gender and so him or her is not appropriate. Therefore the plural they still carries meaning. If you'd provide some example I can show you what I mean.

Dictionary writers fall into two camps: Descriptivist and Prescriptivist. Both groups will agree that a meaning in use for several centuries should be Described rather than Prescribed Against.

And the singular 'they' HAS been in use for centuries. Do you need a cite for this? Will you accept a competent dictionary as evidence, or do we need to find the usage in Shakespeare?

Here's the real problem. When something or someone unusual starts to become more common, people are afraid to discuss it. They are afraid they will be attacked. They are afraid that the insanity of overly zealous wokeness will inspire some to make insinuations about them, insinuations which usually aren't true. Btw, I am very fond of AF, even when I disagree with her, so this isn't meant to be a personal attack. I'm not implying that she is a victim of woke culture. I'm just think that woke culture has made it more difficult for people to discuss subjects like this. That is exactly why I started this thread. I wanted to see if we could discuss this, and sometimes disagree without making assumptions about each other and without attacking each other.

But, A Floof has made many generalizations about me. Just because I spent several hours exploring this issue so I could learn more about it doesn't mean that I was comforted because some in the transgendered community feel that non binary people are being insincere or trying to be cool. I just thought that was interesting that people in a similar in-group are having difficulty understanding non binaries. It gave me no comfort. It just made things a little bit more confusing.

I don't automatically accept anything without doing a bit of research, and some critical thinking. I was a bit amused by the frequent assumptions that a person who might have a problem with the term "they" being used to describe a single person, has a "conservative mind", whatever that's supposed to mean. I don't think we have liberal or conservative minds. But, since I don't think we have free will, if someone does have a conservative mind, that's they really can't help it, can they? ;) ( humor ) I try to be open minded when it comes to something that can't be demonstrated by scientific evidence and I like that evidence to be very obvious.

And, even if I were to decide that the category non binary is just a made up cultural concept, I respect people who are different and I would defend their right to feel that way. I wasn't agreeing with those in the trans community who have been critical of them. I just found that interesting as well as confusing. There was no need to make the assumption that I was validated by them. I'm my own person, not easily swayed by others.

So far, there is no physiological evidence for a person having more than one gender or having no gender, at least not among humans. That is why at least for now, I tend to think it's a cultural thing. But if the evidence comes in to support that this type of gender identity is physiological, of course, I will accept that.

Yes, sometimes we use the plural when we are speaking of a person, but when we use that pronoun that way, it has nothing to do with being non binary. In fact, when "they" is used that way, it's not always clear whether we are referring to one person or a group of people who are similar. So, when you say that "they" has always been used in a singular way, I don't think that's completely honest, as it's not being used to describe non binary individuals or even people suffering from multiple personality disorder for that matter. ( humor, ok )

All I'm saying is when you insist on being referred to as "they", people are confused. All I'm saying is that other cultures have created new pronouns to describe a non binary person so why is that a problem?

Of course, nobody needs to reveal that they are non binary. A non binary individual who was female sexed at birth, can use the non binary term when she wants or she can use the term she when she wants to hide her non binary identity. If the non binary community wants to be taken seriously, they might need to be open about their identities and choose a word that isn't confusing, imo. ( opinions aren't facts ) At the same time, anyone with a minority gender identity has the right to remain in the closet if they feel safer that way. It's like atheists. Some of us are very open about our atheism while others are more comfortable in the closet. It's up to individuals to decide what's best for them.

I would hope that we could discuss controversial things without making negative assumptions about each other. That to me is one of the problems in Western culture these days.

Now, I'm ashamed for spending so much time trying to explain my position. I obviously have no free will. :D

PS. I still love you Floof! :huggs: Can we lighten up now? It's almost 4:20.

Yes, sometimes we use the plural when we are speaking of a person, but when we use that pronoun that way, it has nothing to do with being non binary. In fact, when "they" is used that way, it's not always clear whether we are referring to one person or a group of people who are similar. So, when you say that "they" has always been used in a singular way, I don't think that's completely honest, as it's not being used to describe non binary individuals or even people suffering from multiple personality disorder for that matter. ( humor, ok )

All I'm saying is when you insist on being referred to as "they", people are confused. All I'm saying is that other cultures have created new pronouns to describe a non binary person so why is that a problem?

Of course, nobody needs to reveal that they are non binary. A non binary individual who was female sexed at birth, can use the non binary term when she wants or she can use the term she when she wants to hide her non binary identity. If the non binary community wants to be taken seriously, they might need to be open about their identities and choose a word that isn't confusing, imo. ( opinions aren't facts ) At the same time, anyone with a minority gender identity has the right to remain in the closet if they feel safer that way. It's like atheists. Some of us are very open about our atheism while others are more comfortable in the closet. It's up to individuals to decide what's best for them
^^^This^^^

My real issue with this whole situation is the fact that I am, without a doubt, a grammar Nazi. I do try to keep it under control but there are times when it is very difficult for me.

It makes me very uneasy to use typically plural pronouns when discussing a single individual. I do understand that it makes the non binary individual uneasy when someone refers to them with a sexed pronoun. Now, in some cases (like my previous sentence) a typically plural pronoun can easily be used grammatically to describe a single individual - but many, many times it cannot. So one or the other of us is going to feel uneasy in those circumstances. This has nothing to do with my personal stance on non binary individuals at all; it is simply a matter of grammar. To me it would seem that having a new pronoun for those individuals would be the best option. I would think that those of the non binary persuasion would welcome an identification that is not just a repurposed existing pronoun. I could be wrong.

Like SoHy, I am not yet convinced of the existence of actual non binary persons. But I am more than willing to show individuals who state that preference the courtesy of using their preferred pronouns. I would just like for them to understand that using apparently incorrect grammar is as disturbing for me as being referred to by a sexed pronoun is for them.

Ruth

^^^ That. Although I will acknowledge that since biologically non-binary persons do actually exist that there's reason enough to come up with a workable solution. If someone simply wants to identify as such it's a different issue. Actually there's a whole lot of issues involved. But resolving how to refer to them that respects each person's individuality is probably a good place to start.

In my opinion the only correct way to use they is as a way to refer to a group as a whole. What is referred to as the singular form of they is correctly used only to indicate the existence of two or more subgroups. Such as when a group is of mixed gender and so him or her is not appropriate. Therefore the plural they still cares meaning. If you'd provide some example I can show you what I mean.

Again, not going to search my post history. I understand what you are saying from a strict, traditional grammatical sense. But if someone really wanted to, I am sure that they could easily find an example in some of my posts. (see what I did here?)...

Yes, thank you.
  • "I am sure that he could ..." > refers to an individual within a group of only men.
  • "I am sure that she could ..." > refers to an individual within a group of only women.
  • "I am sure that they could ..." > refers to an individual within the group: men or the group: women.
The latter would apply in that case. But if the group you were addressing was essentially all women or all men then referring to one individual among them as "they" would be incorrect. And that's assuming that you don't mean "they" as them all working together to find an example, which you obviously didn't since you referred to "someone".

I agree with nearly all of your post :)

I really should make an effort to watch some of RuPaul's Drag Race. Drag has always made me somewhat uncomfortable because in my mind (which may be completely off target), those who dress in the exaggerated drag are purportedly expressing femininity in ways that I do not associate with anything feminine. I simply don't. I may very well be misunderstanding the point of drag.

I am really not a fan of drag. To me, it's no better than old school minstrel shows: It's men putting on women's clothes, and playacting an exaggerated, stereotype-driven caricature of womanhood. I find it insulting. When you add in the fairly common derision that a lot of drag queens express toward women, it's even worse. For example... a drag queen who is convincingly feminine gets called "fishy".

One advantage that women have had over men is that it has become acceptable over the past 100 years or so for women to wear traditionally male clothing while the reverse has not been true. And why not? Why has it been more acceptable for women to embrace 'male' characteristics/behaviors than for men to embrace the feminine? And why are certain things considered 'masculine' but do not require male genitalia or male hormones and why are certain things considered 'feminine' but do not require female reproductive organs/genitalia/hormones? I don't get it. Boys may (or may not) like climbing trees and looking at insects and rocks more commonly than do girls but such activities are not inherently masculine. Nor is enjoying art or cuddling animals or dolls inherently female. Given the opportunity, many boy children will happily play with dolls and stuffed animals, care for them, create imaginative play where the toy plays the part of a character in the child's fantasy. We're comfortable enough with boys doing that with GI Joes and Star Wars figures so why not with teddy bears and baby dolls?

Because in our patriarchal societies masculine qualities are considered good and feminine ones bad. Why would a man want to adopt bad qualities? It is more respected that a woman might want to become better or stronger, but why would a man want to become worse or weaker? Women do still get criticized for adopting masculine characteristics, but certainly not as much as men get vilified for adopting feminine characteristics.

You see this in entertainment media, right? Women superheroes or adventurers are basically women doing what men do. Strength is kicking butt and being strong. How many female superheroes do you see using feminine qualities to save the day? It's very rare. The closest I've seen lately is in the movie Wonder Woman, where it was her compassion that led her to saving that village when all the men wanted to pass by without helping. But she still saved the village by being strong and defeated the villain in the end with punching and power.

I deeply want to disagree with your post... but I can't. It's all very true, and it saddens me.

Otherwise, frankly, a casual t-shirt dress is less hot than pants and a top and sometimes, on very hot days, I prefer those t-shirt dresses simply because they are cooler than pants and a top.

There have been times I've wished a dress was socially acceptable for men for this reason. While I haven't actually tried it I would think a short dress would be the ideal hot-weather garment. Clothes are a substantial impediment to the body's cooling system.

I dunno. I'm undecided. Yes, a skirt or dress can allow more air circulation... but it also leads to your thighs sticking together which is not so much fun. I tend to go for loose-fitting shorts and tank tops... Or air conditioning.

I've been reading about gender fluidity all afternoon. Apparently, the cool younger generations get it, but most of us who are over 45 aren't used to seeing men in frilly dresses or people who identify as both genders or no gender. I read their stories. I'm just having a hard time with it. They call gender a social construct because some people have a different combination of sex chromosomes. Still, does every person who identifies as gender fluid/non binary have rare chromosome combinations? If not, is gender fluidity a social construct? Does it matter if we are all able to be tolerant toward's each other, regardless of our differences?

It's a positive if people stop stereotyping based on sex/gender characteristics.

Gender as a social construct has nothing to do with biological sex, nor with chromosomes. In humans (as well as animals), sex is determined not by chromosomes explicitly, but by the type of gamete that one is organized to produce (even if one never actually produces said gamete). In humans, all mammals, and the vast majority of vertebrates, there are two distinct types of gametes, generally referred to as ova (large immobile gametes) and sperm (small motile gametes). Even with the chromosomal variations associated with some disorders of sexual development (DSD, colloquially "intersex"), each individual is still only male or female. Of the 1.7% of people who have a medical DSD condition, the vast majority of those have no ambiguity about their sex, and the condition is diagnosed as a result of fertility or pubertal development issues. People with DSDs that cause ambiguous genitalia are only 0.02% of the population, and each of them is still exclusively only male or female.

Virtually no people with DSDs are non binary, gender fluid, or trans gender. The two have nothing t do with each other.

Gender as a social construct has everything to do with sex-based stereotypes and behavioral expectations. IMO, the world would be better off without it altogether. Men should be allowed to wear make up and heels, women should be allowed to drive dump trucks. Biological differences still exist, but the social strictures imposed on us are harmful.

Back
Top Bottom