• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Minneapolis submits voluntarily

Derec

Contributor
Basic Beliefs
atheist
Minneapolis City Council OKs expansion of hours Muslim calls to prayer can be amplified
CBS News said:
We thank the members of the Minneapolis City Council for setting this great example, and we urge other cities to follow it," Jaylani Hussein, executive director of the Minnesota chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said. "We would particularly like to thank Councilmember Aisha Chughtai, who led the effort to pass the resolution."
CAIR is a radical Islamist organization with links to Hamas, according to FBI.
Previously, rules put limits on the volume (no higher than 70 decibels) and time the calls could be played. Going forward, mosques will be able to broadcast the call as early as 3:30 a.m., and as late as 11 p.m. Up to now, the broadcast was limited to only three or four times per day.
3:30 AM, with no limits on volume? WTF!?
Across the Muslim world, it's customary to hear the Adhan, or the call to prayer, played several times a day throughout entire cities.
So I guess Minneapolis is part of the "Muslim world" now. :rolleyesa:
"It is a dealbreaker for Muslims. It is really, extremely important," Yusuf Abdulle, executive director of the Islamic Association of North America, told WCCO last year. "When you hear the Adhan, and you're home, or in your office, or wherever you are, you know it's the time. You don't need to look at the time. You go and get ready and go to the prayer."
Yeah, let's wake up all the city just so the Muslims do not have to set an alarm for themselves. That makes total sense. Convenience of Muslims trumps rights of the Dhimmis to sleep in the woke utopia of Minneapolis. :banghead:

Btw, most Minneapolis Muslims are afaik Somalis who came in in 1990s because of Bill Clinton. Letting in millions of poorly (if at all) vetted Somali migrants was one of his biggest policy blunders.

Minneapolis City Council OKs expansion of hours Muslim calls to prayer can be amplified
CBS News said:
We thank the members of the Minneapolis City Council for setting this great example, and we urge other cities to follow it," Jaylani Hussein, executive director of the Minnesota chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said. "We would particularly like to thank Councilmember Aisha Chughtai, who led the effort to pass the resolution."
Previously, rules put limits on the volume (no higher than 70 decibels) and time the calls could be played. Going forward, mosques will be able to broadcast the call as early as 3:30 a.m., and as late as 11 p.m. Up to now, the broadcast was limited to only three or four times per day.
Across the Muslim world, it's customary to hear the Adhan, or the call to prayer, played several times a day throughout entire cities.
"It is a dealbreaker for Muslims. It is really, extremely important," Yusuf Abdulle, executive director of the Islamic Association of North America, told WCCO last year. "When you hear the Adhan, and you're home, or in your office, or wherever you are, you know it's the time. You don't need to look at the time. You go and get ready and go to the prayer."
Yeah, let's wake up all the city just so the Muslims do not have to set an alarm for themselves. That makes total sense. Convenience of Muslims trumps rights of the Dhimmis to sleep in the woke utopia of Minneapolis. :banghead:

Btw, most Minneapolis Muslims are afaik Somalis who came in in 1990s because of Bill Clinton. Letting in millions of poorly (if at all) vetted Somali migrants was one of his biggest policy blunders.
How was admitting Somali refugees to the US a policy blunder?

When I was a kid the Catholic churches would ring their bells three times a day to call the faithful to prayer. Some of the Protestant churches did too. It was not controversial.

With that said, I think the 3:30am Muslim call to prayer should definitely have a limit on allowable decibels. Really, any noise generated between 9pm and 6am should be limited, including from cars and those obnoxious Harleys.

Really, any noise generated between 9pm and 6am should be limited, including from cars and those obnoxious Harleys.
But then Derec won't have something to be outraged about then. It would be less obvious then the hills he's prepared to be on.

Why not? Religious intolerance is not an effective balm to religious extremism, nor is prayer extreme.
It is one thing to be tolerant, quite another to be excessively obsequious. If the Muslim minority in Minneapolis wants to pray at 3:30am, that's up to them. But is it really an imposition of religious freedom for them to set their own alarm on their phone? Is it really necessary to blast "call to prayer" at unlimited volume?

You'd think a freethought/infidel forum would be opposed to impositions religious believers want to place on everyone else. Unfortunately, this forum has become far more woke leftist than freethought.

When I was a kid the Catholic churches would ring their bells three times a day to call the faithful to prayer. Some of the Protestant churches did too. It was not controversial.
1. Not at 3:30am
2. Not electronically amplified. This ordinance also removed the 70 dB limit on "call to prayer" amplification, which means there is no limit on volume they can blast it at.
3. Alarm clocks/alarm in a phone are a thing these days.
4. I live in a very Christian area here and have never heard any church bells.

With that said, I think the 3:30am Muslim call to prayer should definitely have a limit on allowable decibels. Really, any noise generated between 9pm and 6am should be limited, including from cars and those obnoxious Harleys.
At least we agree on something.

Well, if you've never heard any church bells, you have no idea how loud those things can be.

The bell towers were designed to situate the bells above sound dampeners like trees, houses, stores, etc., and the bells were designed to produce noises loud enough to be heard across town. They were made to be noticed.

CBS News said:

The USG has links to Netanyahu's oppressive regime, the Saudi criminals, etc. Many of your ilk side with Putin.

Goose; gander.
Abiut 60,000 Minnesotans claim Somali ancestry; most of these are now U.S. citizens. How many of this large number have shot up churches or schools? How many Somalis emulated Kyle Rittenhouse -- your ilk's hero -- and bought an AK15 on their 16th birthday so they could go kill them some liberals?

Are you one of these Suckabee fans who accept BOTH kinds of religion? Baptist AND Methodist?

Somali mass migrants have not been well vetted and most of them are Islamists. There have been Somalis from Minnesota joining Al Shabab and more recently ISIS.
Minnesota pipeline to al-Shabab
Somali Americans: Searching for identity, finding ISIS
There have also been terrorist attacks on US soil committed by these Somali "refugees".
Man sentenced to 30 years for trying to bomb Oregon Christmas-tree lighting
Dahir Ahmed Adan Named by Police as St. Cloud, Minnesota, Stabbing Suspect
Not an exhaustive list, of course.
Besides terrorism, Somali migrants have been in the news before for taxi drivers refusing to pick up certain fares and cashiers refusing to ring up some customers.

A fringe benefit would have been that Ilhan Omar would not be in Congress. Btw, she advocated for a lenient sentence for some ISIS Somalis.
Rep. Ilhan Omar asks judge for compassion in ISIS recruit sentencing

CBS News said:

Somalis suck in their current OS revision.

What's USG and what does it have to do with this thread?
has links to Netanyahu's oppressive regime
LMAO. Netanyahu may have his faults, but he is hardly "oppressive". Unlike your friends (or should I say "ilk") from Hamas, PIJ, Hezbollah, PFLP etc.
, the Saudi criminals,
KSA is an interesting and very complex case, and well beyond scope of this thread to unravel.
etc. Many of your ilk side with Putin.
What is my ilk, supposedly? I certainly do not side with Putin. And what does he have to do with any of this?

Abiut 60,000 Minnesotans claim Somali ancestry; most of these are now U.S. citizens. How many of this large number have shot up churches or schools?
A Somali tried to blow up Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Portland. Another stabbed 9 people at a mall in St. Cloud, MN. Many have gone and joined Al Shabab and ISIS
That's quite a few bad actors from such a relatively small community. The size of the community goes in the denominator. The smaller it is, the bigger the "per capita" number.
How many Somalis emulated Kyle Rittenhouse
How many defended themselves from attacks by extremists, one of them a pedophile? I dunno.
-- your ilk's
What's this obsession with my "ilk". Are you trying to make this thread about me and not the issue at hand?
and bought an AK15 on their 16th birthday so they could go kill them some liberals?
Not only is this not what happened re Ritt, it is also a complete non-sequitur and a derail. Why don't you stick to the point, if you have one? Instead of rambling incoherently.
Are you one of these Suckabee fans who accept BOTH kinds of religion? Baptist AND Methodist?
No, I am an atheist. As are most on here. Unlike most on here, I do not think western societies need to give special deference to Islam and Muslims.

Well, if you've never heard any church bells, you have no idea how loud those things can be.
I did not say that I never heard any church bells in my life, just that there aren't any around here.
Where I grew up, we had two churches with bells, and a mosque with a very loud loudspeaker. The latter was much more loud and annoying, esp. since the mosque was right next to my school and it was so loud you could not hear the teacher when it was going on. But not even that mosque played the sound in the middle of the night, just during daytime. Unlike now in Minneadishu.

I think the original 70dB limit was conceived to make the loudness comparable to church bells (if there are any in Minneapolis). According to this, church bells are ~70dB at street level (obviously they are a lot louder inside the bell tower).
But under this islamophilic new ordinance, mosques they can blast the wailing of the muezzin at unlimited volumes. At 3:30am.

Why not? Religious intolerance is not an effective balm to religious extremism, nor is prayer extreme.
It is one thing to be tolerant, quite another to be excessively obsequious. If the Muslim minority in Minneapolis wants to pray at 3:30am, that's up to them. But is it really an imposition of religious freedom for them to set their own alarm on their phone? Is it really necessary to blast "call to prayer" at unlimited volume?

You'd think a freethought/infidel forum would be opposed to impositions religious believers want to place on everyone else. Unfortunately, this forum has become far more woke leftist than freethought.
I am not a "freethinker" nor an infidel, nor have ever claimed to be. I do value secularism, and believe that if the truce between church and state is to be maintained, the door has to swing both ways. The government must not be controlled by nor attempt to control religious prerogatives. Toleration of multiple faith perspectives and practices is not a violation of secular philosophy, but a necessary step in maintaining the plausibility of multicultural and plurireligious state over the long term.

Back
Top Bottom