• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Minneapolis submits voluntarily

They pray every 4 hours?
The daily prayers occur at dawn, shortly after noon, just before the start of sunset, just after the end of sunset, and shortly before retiring for the night.

None of the prayers are at 3:30, but one can assume the law was just written to broadly accomodate possible times as they differ through the year, and in acknowledgement presumably that the Adhan is calling people to come to prayer, it is not the start of the prayers themselves.

The degree of ignorance the public exercises concerning the very basic ideas and practices is astonishing sometimes. This is the world's second most common faith, and well publicized, not some obscure ritual known only to a tiny cult far away.

I know detailed religious eduation is largely outlawed in American schools below the collegiate level, though... Is the same true of Russian education?

I know detailed religious eduation is largely outlawed in American schools below the collegiate level, though... Is the same true of Russian education?
I am a product of soviet education system. And I would not have cared for the the religious education anyway.

The degree of ignorance the public exercises concerning the very basic ideas and practices is astonishing sometimes.
Well, I knew they pray a lot. I just did not expect three fucking thirty.

How many muslim activists are on Minneapolis City Council anyway?
I agree with people who say there are personal alarm clocks now and they should be used instead of electric amplifiers.

Note that the article talks about the previous law but says nothing about the current situation.

There are probably general noise ordinances that apply to the situation.

Muslim calls to prayer should be regulated exactly the same as church bells. And any other such religious calls. (Personally, I'd like to see them all banned. To be useful they need to be too loud.)

3:30? Unbelievable!
They wake up at 3:30 and do what exactly?
Pray.
They pray every 4 hours?

And have breakfast/lunch before sunrise. It's Ramadan
Do you mean this 3:30 thing is "only" one month in a year?

Most Muslims pray five times a day, with their prayers being known as Fajr (before dawn), Dhuhr (afternoon), Asr (late afternoon), Maghrib(after sunset), and Isha (nighttime), always facing towards the Kaaba.[1] Some Muslims pray three times a day.[2] The direction of prayer is called the qibla; the early Muslims initially prayed in the direction of Jerusalem before this was changed to Mecca in 624 CE, about a year after Muhammad's migration to Medina.[3][4]

The irony here, the guy with a microphone and a class-D audio-amplifier at the church mosque at 3:30AM (or any other time) uses ordinary alarm-clock to wake himself up to go and do this shit.

The irony here, the guy with a microphone and a class-D audio-amplifier at the church mosque at 3:30AM (or any other time) uses ordinary alarm-clock to wake himself up to go and do this shit.
I used to live near an Army post that played Reville through loudspeakers at sunrise. It was loud enough to be clearly heard in every bedroom in my neighborhood.

The irony here is the guy who pushed the button to broadcast the signal had to use an alarm clock to wake up in the morning. :shrug:

And have breakfast/lunch before sunrise. It's Ramadan
Do you mean this 3:30 thing is "only" one month in a year?
I don't know. The rest of the year Muslims are allowed to eat after the dawn prayer, but there's a special pre-prayer breakfast during Ramadan called Suhur, and in some countries there's a traditional call to Suhur before the call to prayer. So it's possible the 3:30 time was set for that, and the actual call to prayer isn't until 4. If that's what's going on then the 3:30 noise will presumably only be for one month, and that only in years when Ramadan occurs near the summer solstice.

I agree with people who say there are personal alarm clocks now and they should be used instead of electric amplifiers.
Few to none, I would imagine. You do not have to share a religious or ethnic background with someone in order to understand the civic duty one has to respect one's neighbor and their way of life.

I used to live near an Army post that played Reville through loudspeakers at sunrise. It was loud enough to be clearly heard in every bedroom in my neighborhood.
That's what should preempt muslim alarm clock. That's my religion :)
The irony here is the guy who pushed the button to broadcast the signal had to use an alarm clock to wake up in the morning. :shrug:
I thought a little and think that system is probably fully automated, that is, there is no muslim dude with a microphone and a speaker. It's just an alarm clock with prerecorded sound connected to a speaker.

Few to none, I would imagine. You do not have to share a religious or ethnic background with someone in order to understand the civic duty one has to respect one's neighbor and their way of life.
They don't respect my way of life, why should I respect theirs?

They don't respect my way of life, why should I respect theirs?
Who is "they"?

All the Muslims I know are very nice.

Reactions: jab
None of the prayers are at 3:30, but one can assume the law was just written to broadly accomodate possible times as they differ through the year, and in acknowledgement presumably that the Adhan is calling people to come to prayer, it is not the start of the prayers themselves.
The dawn prayer occurs ~90 min before sunrise, according to this Islamic prayer time website. That would be before 4am around Summer Solstice (when Sun rises at ~5:26 according to this). As you say, the call to prayer would have to occur before then, explaining the 3:30am time in the ordinance.
This is the world's second most common faith, and well publicized, not some obscure ritual known only to a tiny cult far away.
The only difference between a religion and cult ...
33950_goal.gif

That's not really the case.
Public schools struggle with lessons about Islam amid renewed fears of terrorism

Who is "they"?
the ones who want to wake me up at 3:30.
All the Muslims I know are very nice
And your point is....?

I heard that sociopaths are very nice too.
My point is, you are criticizing people you don't know for what you imagine they want to do. Even worse, you are using your assumptions as justification for not respecting them.

Are there Muslims in your area waking you up at 3:30am? If not, why are you questioning whether "they" respect your way of life?

Few to none, I would imagine.
It's three, actually. Out of 12, btw., making it 25%. The other 9, plus the mayor Frey, are spineless dhimmis.

You do not have to share a religious or ethnic background with someone in order to understand the civic duty one has to respect one's neighbor and their way of life be obsequious to them.
FIFY. There is nothing in the concept of "civic duty" that mandates allowing religious groups to blast their propaganda in the middle of the night.

Few to none, I would imagine.
It's three, actually. Out of 12, btw., making it 25%. The other 9, plus the mayor Frey, are spineless dhimmis.

You do not have to share a religious or ethnic background with someone in order to understand the civic duty one has to respect one's neighbor and their way of life be obsequious to them.
FIFY. There is nothing in the concept of "civic duty" that mandates allowing religious groups to blast their propaganda in the middle of the night.
Do conservatives ejaculate whenever they have an opportunity to misuse a offensive historical term? Or is it more of a contented purring feeling?

Note that the article talks about the previous law but says nothing about the current situation.
There are probably general noise ordinances that apply to the situation.
Assuming facts not in evidence.
Muslim calls to prayer should be regulated exactly the same as church bells.
Including loudness and time of day. No church bells are blasting at 3:30 or 4am.
And any other such religious calls. (Personally, I'd like to see them all banned. To be useful they need to be too loud.)
Agreed. They presuppose a homogeneous population where everybody would be subject to same religious strictures.

Back
Top Bottom