• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Minnesota has a new flag

This is a good video that is not made by a political radical of either side.

I forced myself to watch that entire stupid video. JJ dismisses interest in improved flag design as some sort of outside imposition, and he thinks that we must resign ourselves to whatever is in existing flags, however ugly and cluttered their designs. I like the changes in flag designs -- keep things visually simple and stark, so that the flag design will stand out.

I'm glad that corporate logo designers don't listen to his sort of esthetics. Apple Logo History: All About Apple Logo Evolution | Apple logo evolution, Apple logo, Apple logo design - Original Apple logo: Ron Wayne drew Apple’s first corporate logo. He tried to include his signature as part of the design, but Steve Jobs made him remove it. - showing Isaac Newton under an apple tree writing something as an apple starts to fall on his head. It had "Apple Computer" on a wrap-around ribbon.

Great artwork, but not very visually striking. Apple then moved to a multicolored striped apple, then to a solid-colored apple.

Download NeXT Computer, Inc. Logo in SVG Vector or PNG File Format - Logo.wine - also a visually striking logo: "NeXT" on a black cube.

I forced myself to watch that entire stupid video. JJ dismisses interest in improved flag design as some sort of outside imposition, and he thinks that we must resign ourselves to whatever is in existing flags, however ugly and cluttered their designs. I like the changes in flag designs -- keep things visually simple and stark, so that the flag design will stand out.

I'm glad that corporate logo designers don't listen to his sort of esthetics. Apple Logo History: All About Apple Logo Evolution | Apple logo evolution, Apple logo, Apple logo design - Original Apple logo: Ron Wayne drew Apple’s first corporate logo. He tried to include his signature as part of the design, but Steve Jobs made him remove it. - showing Isaac Newton under an apple tree writing something as an apple starts to fall on his head. It had "Apple Computer" on a wrap-around ribbon.

Great artwork, but not very visually striking. Apple then moved to a multicolored striped apple, then to a solid-colored apple.

Download NeXT Computer, Inc. Logo in SVG Vector or PNG File Format - Logo.wine - also a visually striking logo: "NeXT" on a black cube.

There was some argument when the IIDB logo design was being created. I wanted to keep it simple. Simple logo designs are far more memorable than complcated designs. As noted above, Apple. Others include Target, Shell, Mastercard, Playboy, Mercedes Benz. All simple designs but are immediately recognizable by anyone with a IQ above room temperature.

There was some argument when the IIDB logo design was being created. I wanted to keep it simple. Simple logo designs are far more memorable than complcated designs. As noted above, Apple. Others include Target, Shell, Mastercard, Playboy, Mercedes Benz. All simple designs but are immediately recognizable by anyone with a IQ above room temperature.

Yup. Logos should be recognizable when reduced to the icon in your web browser. And flags are a type of logo.

Good Flag, Bad Flag - North American Vexillological Association

Ted Kaye's Five Principles:
  • Keep It Simple. The flag should be so simple that a child can draw it from memory.
  • Use Meaningful Symbolism. The flag's images, colors, or patterns should relate to what it symbolizes.
  • Use 2 or 3 Basic Colors. Limit the number of colors on the flag to three which contrast well and come from the standard color set.
  • No Lettering or Seals. Never use writing of any kind or an organization's seal.
  • Be Distinctive or Be Related. Avoid duplicating other flags, but use similarities to show connections.

Vexillology Wiki | Fandom - "Vexillology Wiki collects flag proposals, with a focus on new flags for countries, groups and their subdivisions."

Vexillology: for all you flag lovers out there! at Reddit

I'd earlier mentioned How States Are Threading the Needle on Flag Design - The New York Times

I've also found State Flags Ready for a Refresh | MultiState and Ranking the Best and Worst City Flags - Route Fifty

Maine State Flag Referendum (2024) - Ballotpedia

Gov. Pritzker Signs Bill to Explore Creation of New State Flag
Today, Governor JB Pritzker signed SB1818 which creates the Illinois Flag Commission for the purpose of exploring the creation of a new state flag and developing new state flag designs. The commission will make recommendations to the General Assembly concerning whether the current State flag should be replaced with a redesigned flag. By September 2024, the Illinois Flag Commission will select no more than ten potential flags and submit a report to the General Assembly by December 2024.
Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for SB1818

Boards and Commissions Details - Appointments - "The purposes of the Commission are to develop new State flag designs and to make recommendations to the General Assembly concerning whether the current State flag ought to be replaced with a redesigned State flag. "

Does Michigan need a new flag? One lawmaker says yes | WOODTV.com
No further progress, hover. Phil Skaggs on X: "Michigan, let’s create a new state flag we can rally around!" / X - Dec 28, 2023

Looking at national flags, most of them are visually very good. Some of them are almost too simple: a few colored stripes,

Two-stripe flags are rare:
  • Poland: white above red
  • Indonesia and Monaco: red above white
  • Ukraine: blue above yellow
  • Algeria: green left, white right, red star-and-crescent logo
I'm using how flags are usually printed, because a flag's other side will have a left-right mirror image.

Three-stripe flags are more common, with some of them sharing the same colors:
  • France, left to right: blue, white, red
  • Netherlands: top to bottom: red, white, blue
  • Russia: top to bottom: white, blue, red
Three-stripe flags sometimes have the outer colors the same, though they often have a logo in them, like the flags of Canada and Spain. Israel has a variation: from top to a bottom: thin white, thin blue, thick white with a logo, thin blue, thin white.

Some flags have lots of stripes, like those of the US, Greece, Malaysia, and Liberia, but they all have alternating colors.

Some have crosses or X's on them, sometimes both, like the UK's flag. All five Scandinavian flags have crosses shifted leftward.

Many Arab flags have three vertical stripes and a rightward-pointing triangle on the left side.

Some flags have logos, often stars and/or crescents, but often other designs. Canada and Israel have simple but visually striking logo designs, while Mexico and Spain have rather complicated ones.

I think I'll leave off, because some grand unified theory of flag design is hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom