• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

MLB 2017 Season

ESPN spends too much camera time in the booth. It always awkward.

Yup. TV coverage pisses me off in general - they'd rather zoom in on the zits on a pitcher's face than back off and show the wide shot that would show how defenders are positioned - maybe the most fascinating part of the game IMHO. But no - let's speak with the wife of a Hall of Fame pitcher who is in the booth reminiscing about ten years ago when her husband had a great season...

Watching Milwaukee-Pittsburgh tonight as the Brewers chase a playoff spot. I don't know what it is, but I've always been fascinated by the Brewers. Just a scrappy, small-market team, in an American city that probably kind of sucks.

They've been in the league for 48 years and have been to the World Series once, in 1982, when they lost to the Cardinals. In 1981 they lost a division series. Since then they've only been to the playoffs twice, in 2008 and 2011.

I recall when I was at a Tigers spring training game in Lakeland back in February, hanging out with a guy from Milwaukee for a while. He had grown up in Detroit, and made it clear that he did not give a shit about the Brewers. Makes me wonder how many people actually call themselves Milwaukee fans.

Watching Milwaukee-Pittsburgh tonight as the Brewers chase a playoff spot. I don't know what it is, but I've always been fascinated by the Brewers. Just a scrappy, small-market team, in an American city that probably kind of sucks.

They've been in the league for 48 years and have been to the World Series once, in 1982, when they lost to the Cardinals. In 1981 they lost a division series. Since then they've only been to the playoffs twice, in 2008 and 2011.

I recall when I was at a Tigers spring training game in Lakeland back in February, hanging out with a guy from Milwaukee for a while. He had grown up in Detroit, and made it clear that he did not give a shit about the Brewers. Makes me wonder how many people actually call themselves Milwaukee fans.
Funny that comes up. As I was driving to work, I saw a guy in a suit carrying an old school Brewers cap.

The interesting thing for the Indians, since the all-star break, they have a winning percentage of .604... if you ignore the 22 game winning streak. The Tribe hit their stride months ago and barring injury (which was the primary reason for the World Series loss last year), they are set up to win it all this year. You still need to play, but the Indians are playing better than anyone else by a mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The interesting thing for the Indians, since the all-star break, they have a winning percentage of .604... if you ignore the 22 game winning streak. The Tribe hit their stride months ago and barring injury (which was the primary reason for the World Series loss last year), they are set up to win it all this year. You still need to play, but the Indians are playing better than anyone else by a mile.

SI needs to do an Indians cover, then we'll see.

It seems the folks in Wisconsin are more interested in the Packers than the Brewers. Baseball fans are few and far between out there but they do exist. I've been to the Brewers stadium (Miller Park) it's a nice facility. I didn't see a game, I was just visiting to see it.

Farking Dodgers can't get the job done. And the Angels are still plodding along, another defeat to the Indians. No surprise there.

If the Brewers make the post season I'll be rooting for them.

If anybody has mlb.tv, the Tiger's game from Saturday is a good one to catch.

They played Andrew Romine at all 9 defensive position, only the 5th time this has happened in MLB history. I'd watch the Tiger's stream.

If anybody has mlb.tv, the Tiger's game from Saturday is a good one to catch.

They played Andrew Romine at all 9 defensive position, only the 5th time this has happened in MLB history. I'd watch the Tiger's stream.
Ah baseball... the only sport where nothing hasn't already happened.

Yup and becomes the third catcher to hit three batters in an inning.

I once watched a game of baseball and painted the house at the same time. Baseball somehow allows for that.

And the Twins will play a wildcard game, having lost 100 games last year.

It doesn't have to make sense - it's baseball.

Ah, playoffs. I haven't looked forward to anything happening in MLB since the beginning of the season and the winter drought was broken, until now.

Seems like this season's been filled with run-away teams with nobody within striking distance. In the AL East Boston and New York are both above 90, 10 above the Rays. Indians crushed the Central. Astros crushed the AL West. Nationals crushed the NL East. Dodgers in the NL West. The only other race was in the NL Central, and it probably wasn't as close as it seemed.

Finally real competition.

I am looking forward to the playoffs. Dodgers start Friday without the injured Gonzalez. Nobody goes from 1st to 3rd like A-Gon !

The only worse runner than A-Gon I can think of is Pujols. Short stop can field a ground ball, tie his laces and still throw to get Pujols out. :hysterical:

Severino's performance yesterday was something. Not entirely unexpected from a pitcher with no post-season experience, but it goes to show that the best pitchers are those who are mentally tough (guys like Scherzer).

The one thing I never realized about baseball before spending a lot of time at Roger's Centre over the past couple years (Jays), is how much of a spotlight is on pitchers, and especially in big games. Tough for a guy like Severino to stand in the centre of Yankee's Stadium, and probably watched by millions, and perform when it's win or your out.

That's the one thing I love about baseball. Essentially, it's about individual performance, as much as it's about team performance. Once you get into the post-season, everything is on the line, and players have nowhere to hide. It's a pressure cooker situation and you can often see it when these guys are nervous.

I can still recall the first post-season game the Jays played in twenty odd years after they won the AL East in 2015. The media was pressing on them big-time, and it showed.

The pressure on the pitchers is huge. Just watched Greinke give up a 6-0 lead. He gave up four runs and left a runner on first before being hooked. I don't relish either of these teams (Rockies/D'Backs) coming to Dodger Stadium. Plus Kershaw is well shakey in the playoffs.

Crazy game. 8-7 and not done. There is no walkover team in the NL.

Dodgers will host the D'Backs in game one tonight. The Dodgers' record against the D'Backs has not been good. It should be a good series.

Indians looked great, other than leaving 7 on base. But if you give up 0 runs, you can afford that. The Indians aren't hurting from injuries like last year on the pitching staff. They are going to be hard to beat.

Unless Kluber implodes, today's game, and the series, is likely lights out.

I haven't followed the Yankees much this year but it sounds like they're not much of a threat to Cleveland.

Unless Kluber implodes, today's game, and the series, is likely lights out.

I haven't followed the Yankees much this year but it sounds like they're not much of a threat to Cleveland.
Speaking of the devil...

Back
Top Bottom