• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

MLB 2017 Season

Fancy that, Dodgers on KTLA this evening so I recorded it. Commentary is not horrible. I'll get all the playoff games on the network tv.

Good game tonight.

Yahoo! said:
In 15 starts since coming off the DL, Kluber has been almost unbeatable: 9-1 with a 1.84 ERA while holding opposing teams to a .173 batting average. In those 15 starts, Kluber has averaged 13 strikeouts per nine innings.

Pomeranz is having a career year for the Red Sox. He hasn't lost a game since June 11, going 6-0 with a 2.30 ERA in his past 12 starts. In six career appearances, one start, against the Indians, he is 1-0 with a 2.53 ERA.

Sound like the Yankees/Tigers game last night was quite something. Sorry I missed it. I like MMA.

So I watched the replay of yesterday's Yankees/Tigers game. As they used to say, that was a humdinger! Lots of batters hit, including one hit in the head. Several brawls and numerous ejections.

The Yankees/Tigers animosity continues.

The Dodgers have been getting beat up pretty badly recently. They don't look like World Series contender all of a sudden.

The Dodgers have been getting beat up pretty badly recently. They don't look like World Series contender all of a sudden.

Can't tear forever. Should be a good time to do it as they'll probably rebound before the playoffs.

Haven't been watching but if they've got grit I can't imagine them not making the WS.

Can't tear forever. Should be a good time to do it as they'll probably rebound before the playoffs.

Haven't been watching but if they've got grit I can't imagine them not making the WS.

It's very worrying that they are failing so spectacularly. The rot has to end soon but can they rebound enough to make the WS ? I have my doubts.

Meanwhile the Indians are on fire. Went 12-0 on their road trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meanwhile the Indians are on fire. Went 12-0 on their road trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They're up to 18 now, but who's counting?
More than half was on a road trip. The A's do not hold the record, the '35 (or so) Cubs do with 21. I think one term has 26 but that includes a tie, which apparently was a thing.

They're up to 18 now, but who's counting?
More than half was on a road trip. The A's do not hold the record, the '35 (or so) Cubs do with 21. I think one term has 26 but that includes a tie, which apparently was a thing.
Yeah. I think the media has been pushing the A's comparison because it is since the expansion.
Teams in history and their streak: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_longest_winning_streaks

It's very worrying that they are failing so spectacularly. The rot has to end soon but can they rebound enough to make the WS ? I have my doubts.

I think that in the last ten or so games, they'll stop showcasing their 3A players and put the Team back together. In the meanwhile, they have little to fear in the way of anyone usurping their #1 position in the NL.
I was glad to see them drop a series to the Rockies though... now, if only the D'backs would do the same!

Indians make it 21 straight. I love streaks, of any kind.

Good news for the Dodgers is finishing strong has had little predictive power for postseason success. Oh and they ended their losing streak.

Lot of weird things going on this season. It's gotta be the simulation.

Good news for the Dodgers is finishing strong has had little predictive power for postseason success. Oh and they ended their losing streak.

Yeah but it was the Giants. The few times I have watched the Giants they have been very error prone and for the brief time I watched the game last night they made two errors in one play ! I just can't watch baseball on ESPN for very long, I had to turn it off. But there was a curious scene in the bay, somebody in a boat appeared to have a fire/grill at the back of their boat. It couldn't be determined if they were cooking or if it was for warmth. :confused: I do like seeing the fans in their boats waiting for balls to hit the water. Funny stuff.

I'm not nearly as happy as I thought I might be about the Indians winning streak. It was great to listen to the 21st and tie the '35 Cubs. But watching last night's 22 win, my mood changed. There's a nostalgia that comes with baseball. I don't like to see records that have stood this long be replaced.

I'm not nearly as happy as I thought I might be about the Indians winning streak. It was great to listen to the 21st and tie the '35 Cubs. But watching last night's 22 win, my mood changed. There's a nostalgia that comes with baseball. I don't like to see records that have stood this long be replaced.

Eh, most records that old are largely meaningless because they were not playing the same game, and I say that as a fan of the Cubs whose record they just passed. That is especially true of the 1916 Giants whose 26 game "win" streak was played entirely on their home field, which could never happen in today's game. Also, their "win" streak had a tie in the middle of it in a game called due to darkness, which would never happen today. There were also fewer teams, which means you played the same teams more often, and that increases the odds that you could play many games in a row against a few teams that all happened to suck, increasing the odds of longer win streaks. Then there is the fact that starting pitchers used to pitch way more often, frequently on consecutive days. That means if you had a couple dominant pitchers, you could put together longer streaks without potentially losing games due to your weak 4th and 5th slot pitchers.

The Indians just made the "modern era" streak far more meaningful by making it a streak in the context of today's game, and it will be good if they eclipse that 1916 Giants "streak" because that is a meaningless referent today, just like the 1972 Dolphins "undefeated" record is largely meaningless because they only had to win 14 rather than 19 games to do it.

Good news for the Dodgers is finishing strong has had little predictive power for postseason success.

Well, that is in large part because by "finish" they mean the last couple of weeks of the season where really great teams with big leads downshift to give players rest, and thus are not really trying hard to win (and neither are the really shitty teams). Also, the expanded rosters starting in September throw lots of randomness into the mix. But Dodgers losing started in August with 5 straight loses before expanded rosters, and 16 of 17 games when the Dodgers were trying pretty damn hard to win. Stats are driven by the contextual factors that are the most prevalent over the sample of observations from which the stats are derived. The context of the Dodgers losing streak was NOT the most common context used to derive the "finishing strong doesn't predict post-season success" stats.

Also, stats do not reflect what is true of outlier or extreme cases, but rather only variance within a typical range. So, they reflect whether a 15-10 record in September predicts more success than a 11-14 record, but that doesn't apply to whether a rare 1-16 losing streak or a 16-1 winning streak in September is predictive, because there are too few such instances for them to impact the overall correlation.

That said, the stats of Dodgers performance for the first 18 weeks of the season are a stronger predictor than the last 3 weeks of what they'll do in the future, unless there were clear changes to important factors starting in late August that will still hold for October.

Indians, Dodgers streaks: Will September carry over to October? - Jay Jaffe | SI.com

Coincidentally, this article just came out on the topic of late season success. Bad slumps don't seem to matter neither. Even wins over the whole season has only a slight correlation with postseason wins. It appears it's nearly a crapshoot of who happens to be playing best in October. But it can't be really (that would be madness), so the more important factors are something besides wins.

But Dodgers losing started in August with 5 straight loses before expanded rosters, and 16 of 17 games when the Dodgers were trying pretty damn hard to win.

Jaffe presumes the opposite, that they eased up. The huge lead does give them that leeway.

Yeah but it was the Giants. The few times I have watched the Giants they have been very error prone and for the brief time I watched the game last night they made two errors in one play ! I just can't watch baseball on ESPN for very long, I had to turn it off. But there was a curious scene in the bay, somebody in a boat appeared to have a fire/grill at the back of their boat. It couldn't be determined if they were cooking or if it was for warmth. :confused: I do like seeing the fans in their boats waiting for balls to hit the water. Funny stuff.

ESPN spends too much camera time in the booth. It always awkward.

Well, that is in large part because by "finish" they mean the last couple of weeks of the season where really great teams with big leads downshift to give players rest, and thus are not really trying hard to win (and neither are the really shitty teams). Also, the expanded rosters starting in September throw lots of randomness into the mix.

The YES announcers during last night's Yankee game were making this very point. They showed a graphic late in the game showing how many relievers were still on the bench, available to pitch. They could have matched batters with a new pitcher for a couple of innings (assuming few to no walks or hits). It's just makes for a very different game than what you see earlier in the season.

Back
Top Bottom