• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

MLB 2017 Season

rousseau

Contributor
Since spring training is going to get going in a few weeks it's not too early to get this year's MLB thread started.

And I also wanted to humble brag that I'll be seeing Toronto/Atlanta on Feb. 25th, and Detroit/Pittsburgh on Mar. 2nd for my first ever Spring training games.

Anyone else making it down to Florida or Arizona, or has in the past?

It's rigged. Newly released unverified memos reveal that Russia arranged for last year's World Series drama, and the result was achieved by means of Chicago's black mafia.

Seriously... I am looking forward to spring training. Having been a fan of colorado baseball since before the Rockies existed, I've never seen them come up with any depth in their rotations. If a few prospects don't crash an burn, I think they should be much improved this year. The best thing about the Superbowl, is that once it's over it's easier to catch up on pre-season baseball activity. :)

It is rigged but not by Russia.
It's rigged by God!
God 'counts' every time those morons point to the sky after they hit a home run. Whoever has pointed the most, gets in the world series. Whoever doesn't point....straight to hell!

It is rigged but not by Russia.
It's rigged by God!
God 'counts' every time those morons point to the sky after they hit a home run. Whoever has pointed the most, gets in the world series. Whoever doesn't point....straight to hell!

This is one of the most disconcerting things I find about sports.

When Sidney Crosby crosses himself I get a major case of cognitive dissonance.

I'm trying not to get too excited about the upcoming season but the Indians have some great pitching going on so it's hard not to. It's doubtful I'll attends any games. Being hemmed in with so many people does not appeal to me. I would be more likely to go check out spring training. What I'd really like is to put a TV and mini frig in the garage and watch baseball properly. For me that's the ideal atmosphere. I did that back in '95. I was watching the World Series on a 19" Quasar. It was wonderful.

I miss the baseball during off season but I don't follow the news about what happens until spring training starts. I did see on the news that the Dodgers had resigned Jansen and Turner. But alas, since Direct TV (AT&T) will probably not be showing their games again this season (sans Vin Scully) I will be watching the Angels. I'd like to go to a spring training game but I can't the time off work. I think it would be pretty cool to spend a day watching all that.

Checked out a Tigers - Pirates spring training game which I described here.

Also got my hands on a ball hit during batting practice:

17098466_10154430404517194_4527893099849894837_n.jpg

Top.

So the Jays fall out of the playoffs, Tigers recede a little further, and Cubs repeat.

Would be nice to see the Indians take it, and with Encarnacion.. who knows.

Speaking of baseball, it's been out of my thoughts for a few months. I had forgotten how much I love Javier Baez until I saw highlights of him in the WBC.

Baez pointing to catcher Molina for making a great throw, as he bends down to tag the runner out.
653435096.jpg

Some absurd snowflakes got upset about the foreign players actually having fun while they play a meaningless game designed for fun.

Well, we're off to a nice start. Terry Francona must be very happy having so much talent to work with. It's going to be a very exciting year. It is reminiscent of a past Indians squad in which you dare not turn the game off in the seventh inning.

Yep. Last year I thought the Jays had a legitimate shot, but this year I'm not so sure, so I might just turn my attention to Cleveland and the Cubs during the regular season. They just play good baseball.

I read an article by Business Insider recently that said home runs and strikeouts have been trending upward for the last number of seasons. Interesting.

I wasn't sure if it was my imagination but more and more I find myself half conscious through games.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

What the hell happened to the L.A. Dodgers!? They must be taking some good stuff.

With both of my teams out this has been the least I've paid attention since I started following the MLB. Onto the NHL season I guess.. at least Pittsburgh is still in contention.

Dodgers are having their best run of form for years. Unfortunately I am not getting to see it as I don't subscribe to Time Warner/Spectrum. We get the occasional game on ESPN but the commentary makes the game unwatchable. I did manage to get to a game and it was pretty good but jeezus it was a hot day. But I did get a bluetooth speaker. I follow the Angels on TV and they are doing ok, a bit inconsistent but they are still in the hunt for a wild card spot.

Puig does it all for the Dodgers. He got the winning run last night in the 12th, and also had time to an eclipse replay .

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vhs0jfYuCHg[/YOUTUBE]

Dodgers are having their best run of form for years. Unfortunately I am not getting to see it as I don't subscribe to Time Warner/Spectrum. We get the occasional game on ESPN but the commentary makes the game unwatchable. I did manage to get to a game and it was pretty good but jeezus it was a hot day. But I did get a bluetooth speaker. I follow the Angels on TV and they are doing ok, a bit inconsistent but they are still in the hunt for a wild card spot.

Have you considered subscribing to mlb.tv for the rest of the year? Should be able to get it at a discounted price at this point, and I believe following a single team is an option which might knock a bit more off.

Would be a good year to do so.

Dodgers are having their best run of form for years.

Pretty amazing it is. I thought they were loaded last year... when their performance didn't match up to how they looked on paper I stopped paying attention. But this year - wow.

We get the occasional game on ESPN but the commentary makes the game unwatchable.

TV announcers are uniformly BAD. The Rockies (my team) announcers are probably the worst that I know of... best bet is to listen to the radio, even if the TV is on.

ETA: Drives me nuts that they'll keep showing the broadcast booth, closeups of the pitcher scratching his balls, the little kid with ice cream all over his face etc., and almost NEVER show the wide shot of the field that lets you know how defense is being deployed - which is one of the most interesting facets of the game IMO.

Got to hear Dick Enberg call the Dodgers-Tigers over the weekend on FS1. He's "retired," but still does an occasional game. Past his prime, but still good to hear him.

Pretty amazing it is. I thought they were loaded last year... when their performance didn't match up to how they looked on paper I stopped paying attention. But this year - wow.

We get the occasional game on ESPN but the commentary makes the game unwatchable.

TV announcers are uniformly BAD. The Rockies (my team) announcers are probably the worst that I know of... best bet is to listen to the radio, even if the TV is on.

ETA: Drives me nuts that they'll keep showing the broadcast booth, closeups of the pitcher scratching his balls, the little kid with ice cream all over his face etc., and almost NEVER show the wide shot of the field that lets you know how defense is being deployed - which is one of the most interesting facets of the game IMO.

I like Buck Martinez with the Jays. Smart guy who really knows the game, and is willing to actually talk about the intricacies of it. From watching a variety of teams on mlb.tv it seems like the big market teams usually have decent announcers, and the small market teams not so much (read: Colorado).

Presumably a game on ESPN would be a national broadcast, which gets announcers who are speaking to the average viewer, and not the serious baseball fan. So they're almost always talking the basics.

Back
Top Bottom