• Welcome to the new Internet Infidels Discussion Board, formerly Talk Freethought.

Morality in Bible stories that you don't understand

How would that make any of your arguments credible?
I was highlighting the flaw of your ancient cave painting analogy. I was highlighting the bible hadn't changed. Although having said that... there are certain changes being noticed in new modern bible versions. 'By their fruit we shall read them' ... to who's advantage and gain.

Cave drawings pre-date those scrolls by tens of thousands of years, and make no mention of Jesus or Christian gods. But they are more ancient, so they are more authoritative.*

* believers’ logical fallacy canard #4,756

Nonetheless, I hope next time to make one of your stretch assertions, you will back it up with a direct quote from the Dead Sea Scrolls. Be sure to tell us which jar in which cave held the particular scroll you are quoting.
/sarcasm

I have never known ANYONE to quote DSS in support of their superstition. All they do is yell “DEAD SEA SCROLLS!” as if it was a magic incantation to ward off the devil.
That's because people still assert that the DSS are the collections of the Essenes. What escapes the awareness oddly enough is... non of doctrines of the Essenes are there, rather you'll find them in the Nag Hamadi. People studying this have a case that these are more likely to be the collections of John the Baptist or his followers or both. The NT hints them being in that area, which makes much more sense. Also the DSS tally's with for example the three known books of Enoch. The DSS doesn't include 2 or 3 Enoch because they were written much later. Tallying with the Ethiopian bible which has only 1 Enoch.
(I'm stopping here for now coz it's causing havoc to my eyes, via phone)

I was highlighting the bible hadn't changed.
Which Bible has not changed, since when, and how would you know?
The various translated Bible's and scriptures throughout as far as I can tell demonstrates this. Unless...you can show me where then I can be corrected. Not talking of the modern bibles

You only accept the Old Testament, or you only accept that which is common to all of these?
  • King James Version.
  • New American Standard Bible.
  • New English Bible.
  • New International Version.
  • New King James Version.
  • New Living Translation.
  • New Revised Standard Version.
  • Revised English Bible.
  • Old Testament
I don't know about you, but I see the word "new" in a lot of them. They're still called bibles so it would behoove you to be specific about which text you are saying you find credible.

I was highlighting the bible hadn't changed.
Which Bible has not changed, since when, and how would you know?
The various translated Bible's and scriptures throughout as far as I can tell demonstrates this. Unless...you can show me where then I can be corrected. Not talking of the modern bibles

You only accept the Old Testament, or you only accept that which is common to all of these?
  • King James Version.
  • New American Standard Bible.
  • New English Bible.
  • New International Version.
  • New King James Version.
  • New Living Translation.
  • New Revised Standard Version.
  • Revised English Bible.
  • Old Testament
I don't know about you, but I see the word "new" in a lot of them. They're still called bibles so it would behoove you to be specific about which text you are saying you find credible.
I am happy to use any of them. The narrative is mainly the same, as I have said previously, which in fact, irony would have it... it was you who brought up the changes issue of bible translations initially. My point for changes in modern bibles is for example like the NIV, which is missing a few verses.

The KJV differs in the 'old modern' English revised to 'readable' English today, so by this, these are the obvious changes.

Matthews's version is different. There Jesus curses the fig-tree AFTER cleansing the Temple, and the tree withers at once. Matthew doesn't mention "for the time of figs was not yet."
That sure is an old translation - I have no idea what "haply" means. Maybe those passages are saying that God endorses righteous anger through miracles/etc and curses... e.g. with the naked Noah and 2 Kings 2:23-24:
Elisha left Jericho and went up to Bethel. He was walking along the road. Some boys came out of the town. They made fun of him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here! You don’t even have any hair on your head!” He turned around and looked at them. And he asked for bad things to happen to them. He did it in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods. They attacked 42 of the boys.
On the topic of an angry God I like the following - Isaiah 63:3-6
The Lord answers, “I have been stomping on the nations
as if they were grapes.
No one was there to help me.
I walked all over the nations because I was angry.
That is why I stomped on them.
Their blood splashed all over my clothes.
So my clothes were stained bright red.
I decided it was time to pay back Israel’s enemies.
The year for me to set my people free had come.
I looked around, but no one was there to help me.
I was shocked that no one gave me any help.
So I used my own power to save my people.
I had the strength to do it because I was angry.
I walked all over the nations because I was angry with them.
I made them drink from the cup of my great anger.
I poured out their blood on the ground.”

Last edited:
I am happy to use any of them.
That says volumes.
Volume 1:1
The Bible is a magic book.
No reasoning.
You must be mixed up with books similar to Harry Potter. The bible is against magic which describes the conjurors as magicians, witches charlatans, fortune tellers, sorcerers; people who evoke demons or spirits, that do bewildering things etc. & etc.. In comparison... counter to magic. God is the ultimate science master.

I am happy to use any of them.
That says volumes.
Volume 1:1
The Bible is a magic book.
No reasoning.
You must be mixed up with books similar to Harry Potter. The bible is against magic which describes the conjurors as magicians, witches charlatans, fortune tellers, sorcerers; people who evoke demons or spirits, that do bewildering things etc. & etc..
The Bible is against magic in exactly the same way that drug barons are against dealing in drugs. They're absolutely determined that any competitor should not be tolerated.

But it's all magic. What else do you call creating stuff by simply saying a few words? What else is it when a person produces enough food for everyone from a handful of loaves and fishes? What else is a miracle, other than magic being done by someone you celebrate, rather than denigrate?

The God character in the Old Testament very obviously believes that other gods exist, and that magic other than his own is real. And he's mightily pissed off about these things.

There's literally zero difference between a miracle and an act of magic, other than whether it's done by your folks or theirs.

There's literally zero difference between a miracle and an act of magic, other than whether it's done by your folks or theirs.
I think in magick there is a system where an effect can be consistently repeated by using the correct words, etc - it can involve "sigils" (though perhaps not really do anything). I don't think the miracles supposedly done by Jesus are like that.

Matthews's version is different. There Jesus curses the fig-tree AFTER cleansing the Temple, and the tree withers at once. Matthew doesn't mention "for the time of figs was not yet."
That sure is an old translation - I have no idea what "haply" means. Maybe those passages are saying that God endorses righteous anger through miracles/etc and curses... e.g. with the naked Noah and 2 Kings 2:23-24:
Elisha left Jericho and went up to Bethel. He was walking along the road. Some boys came out of the town. They made fun of him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here! You don’t even have any hair on your head!” He turned around and looked at them. And he asked for bad things to happen to them. He did it in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods. They attacked 42 of the boys.

Well yes... it was two 'she' bears that came out of the woods. Now being that there were two female bears, this would suggest they're still young bears from a 'sleuth' (family group) that was attacking (not killing) 42 young brats - Oh the irony, one can think here... poetic justice!

On the topic of an angry God I like the following - Isaiah 63:3-6

The Lord answers, “I have been stomping on the nations
as if they were grapes.
No one was there to help me.
I walked all over the nations because I was angry.
That is why I stomped on them.
Their blood splashed all over my clothes.
So my clothes were stained bright red.
I decided it was time to pay back Israel’s enemies.
The year for me to set my people free had come.
I looked around, but no one was there to help me.
I was shocked that no one gave me any help.
So I used my own power to save my people.
I had the strength to do it because I was angry.
I walked all over the nations because I was angry with them.
I made them drink from the cup of my great anger.
I poured out their blood on the ground.”

Hi Ex, I have been aware of your strong enthusiasm for some time, portraying the angry God rhetoric, as you do.

The verses you brought up that I've quoted is NOT God, you are in great error.!

It seems Isaiah 63:7 the very next verse was hidden from you at the time you thought to misrepresent God.

Isaiah 63: 7. I will mention the loving kindnesses of the Lord, and the praises of the Lord, according to all that the Lord hath bestowed on us, and the great goodness toward the house of Israel, which he hath bestowed on them according to his mercies, and according to the multitude of his loving kindnesses.

I think in magick there is a system where an effect can be consistently repeated by using the correct words, etc - it can involve "sigils". I don't think the miracles supposedly done by Jesus are like that.
That is definitely not true, at least not of Crowleyan magick (it was Aleister Crowley who championed the spelling "magick", and his spiritual descendants who predominately use it now). While signs and sigils do have consistent meanings, that doesn't mean they have consistent effects; they are only a channel for the Will of the magician, and the refinement and direction of the Will is the real focus of magick, not the signs and sigils and spells that guide it. Think of the spell the way that you do spelling: letters have consistent meanings and similar effects, but it is nevertheless the author writes the work.

Well yes... it was two 'she' bears that came out of the woods. Now being that there were two female bears, this would suggest they're still young bears from a 'sleuth' (family group) that was attacking (not killing) 42 young brats - Oh the irony, one can think here... poetic justice!
I was using the NIRV translation which seems to be flawed in this case (for not mentioning them being female).
Hi Ex, I have been aware of your strong enthusiasm for some time, portraying the angry God rhetoric, as you do.

The verses you brought up that I've quoted is NOT God, you are in great error.!
But it said "the Lord answers".... are you saying God didn't say that at all?
It seems Isaiah 63:7 the very next verse was hidden from you at the time you thought to misrepresent God.
Well in the NIRV that is part of a new passage "Isaiah Praises the Lord and Prays to Him". Verse 7 is from Isaiah not the Lord. That doesn't mean the verses about God's anger can be ignored. Obviously God has other sides besides his angry side.

This is what the concerns are about with modern bibles.

KJV
Isaiah 63:3 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment.

NIVR
The Lord answers (notice this addition here, 'the Lord answers' foot note, this is mis-guiding, a corruption)
3 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment.

These verses below, as you can see, from the KJV, expressively flows as one individual, indicating this is NOT God:

Isaiah 63: 3-7

3 I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment.

4 For the day of vengeance is in mine heart, and the year of my redeemed is come.

5 And I looked, and there was none to help; and I wondered that there was none to uphold: therefore mine own arm brought salvation unto me; and my fury, it upheld me.

6 And I will tread down the people in mine anger, and make them drunk in my fury, and I will bring down their strength to the earth.

7 I will mention the loving kindnesses of the Lord, and the praises of the Lord, according to all that the Lord hath bestowed on us, and the great goodness toward the house of Israel, which he hath bestowed on them according to his mercies, and according to the multitude of his loving kindnesses.

You must be mixed up with books similar to Harry Potter.
Like the Bible for instance?
The Bible is against any magic other that its own.
Magic is by the bible, an imitation. An imitation counterfeit, in context, meaning magic can't really transform matter, prolong life or create life. Magic dazzles and fools you. God does the real thing, transforms matter and creates life. He knows about science very very well.

Back
Top Bottom